Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: .  (Read 19621 times)
Herodes

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 04:20:02 AM

PayPal recently fired 325 employees and 120 independent contractors. If they tried to freeze WordPress they would encounter a fury from the Internet like SOPA did. I imagine a lot of bloggers would boycott Paypal out of spite.

Or even better: PayPal threatens wordpress to remove Bitcoin. Wordpress rejectes and throws out PayPal and makes a press release about the bad business ethics of PayPal, and how much better bitcoin is. If this happened, damn - I would have a party arranged!
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 04:23:11 AM

Seriously though, if you're PayPal right now, this should be concerning.  It's not that this instance is going to have any noticeable effect on their bottom line, but, from PayPal's perspective, this isn't something you'd want to turn into a trend.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
Daily Anarchist

Activity: 614
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2012, 04:28:29 AM

If/when amazon accepts Bitcoin Paypal is finished.

And it wouldn't surprise me to see Amazon stand up to legal challenges either over accepting Bitcoin. I gained a lot of respect for Amazon after they boycotted states that instituted an online sales tax. California even backed down after they did that. It was awesome!

Discover anarcho-capitalism today!
Herodes

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 04:34:21 AM

And it wouldn't surprise me to see Amazon stand up to legal challenges either over accepting Bitcoin. I gained a lot of respect for Amazon after they boycotted states that instituted an online sales tax. California even backed down after they did that. It was awesome!

And just imagine how many people will have their first taste of bitcoin through wordpress. Now, this will probably also create opportunities for bitcoin exchanges in all these countries that PayPal blocks.
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 04:38:05 AM

My joking with Tony aside, if that ever does happen, I suspect it'll be a looooong way down the road.  This isn't a judgment, but an observation -- Amazon is heavily entrenched in and dependent on the traditional financial system, and its providers probably have an interest in compelling a company like Amazon from getting involved with bitcoin.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 04:38:36 AM

I doubt it will happen any time soon. Amazon was very quick to deny wikileaks any service on dubious 'terms of service' claims.

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
Herodes

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 04:44:56 AM

I doubt it will happen any time soon. Amazon was very quick to deny wikileaks any service on dubious 'terms of service' claims.

Agree, I too think it's a long time till Amazon accepts bitcoin, but we can all agree that it's going the right way, and it will be very exciting so see which next site or business that accepts bitcoin. Wordpress is big, and it's a good selling point. The more bulletpoints we can put on the bitcoin pro list, the better it is.

So now, when somebody just says: "I heard about this bitcoin thing, it's just for criminals and for evading taxes right?". "No, that's not right, it's more like giving freedom to the individuals, and if you ever heard about wordpress, those are using bitcoin to enable exactly this, enabling business all over the world, PayPal already blocked 60 countries, so they used bitcoin instead!"

A lot of people and business are of the type "sit on fence and wait", so they see if bitcoin takes up, and if other business starts accepting it, then they start as well.

The saying has for a long time been: "We don't accept bitcoin, nobody else does", it will soon change to "We might consider it, we see several businesses accepting it, and we're monitoriing the situation" and then to "This bitcoin thing, everyone is accepting it these days, we must too!"

Then some years down the line, it's just as common as PayPal is today, or it could even happen faster, we don't know.
Daily Anarchist

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2012, 05:04:48 AM

I don't know, the nice thing about Bitpay is that it allows vendors the ability to not have to worry about holding Bitcoins. It's essentially just reducing their overhead from 3% with credit cards and paypal to 0.99% with Bitpay. What's to lose?

Liquid

Activity: 826

Crypto Somnium

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 05:22:56 AM

Amazing News  Cheesy

Bitcoin will show the world what hard money really is.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2012, 05:47:10 AM

Seriously though, if you're PayPal right now, this should be concerning.  It's not that this instance is going to have any noticeable effect on their bottom line, but, from PayPal's perspective, this isn't something you'd want to turn into a trend.

eBayers: Tired of taken it in the groin? Then consider Bitcoin.
videos4btc

Activity: 209
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 05:52:28 AM

Now let's not screw this up ok ?

edit: where can we see how many bitcoins they've received so far?
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 05:57:11 AM

Amazon is heavily entrenched in and dependent on the traditional financial system, and its providers probably have an interest in compelling a company like Amazon from getting involved with bitcoin.

Sadly quite true.  Amazon (as Amazon Payments) spend tons of money and lawyer time registering themselves with each and every US state as a money transmitter, MSB or similar.

It seems likely that Amazon would jump on the bitcoin bandwagon after it hits major adoption.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
fimp

Activity: 304
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2012, 06:06:07 AM

This is good news, but: How exactly is this target group supposed to get hold of bitcoins? Oh, right. There are no bitcoin exchanges in Kenya, Haiti, Cuba, or Iraq. I am not being sarcastic, but genuinely concerned about this problem.
At Bitcoin Nordic, we have sold bitcoins to Iraq through CashU.

Daily Anarchist

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2012, 06:09:47 AM

Now let's not screw this up ok ?

edit: where can we see how many bitcoins they've received so far?

This is a good question. I can't speak for Wordpress, but for other businesses they probably don't want their earnings to be a matter of public record. Isn't that sort of a drawback to Bitpay, that they use a static Bitcoin address? Or have they figured out a way to create unique addresses for each customer?

fimp

Activity: 304
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2012, 06:11:38 AM

Or have they figured out a way to create unique addresses for each customer?
That's standard procedure for pretty much any bitcoin-accepting merchant. How else would you know which customer paid what?

Daily Anarchist

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2012, 06:21:47 AM

Or have they figured out a way to create unique addresses for each customer?
That's standard procedure for pretty much any bitcoin-accepting merchant. How else would you know which customer paid what?

Good point. I guess I was just confusing it with the cards with QR codes on them. Those are static addresses, but people pay in person so there's no confusion.

Zangelbert Bingledack
Legendary

Activity: 1036

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 07:53:29 AM

Explosive news!

Now I'm starting to wonder just how much of Bitcoin's near-term fate rests in the hands of BitPay. Obviously excellent job on their part, but I feel like I know far too little about them.
caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 07:56:55 AM

My favorite comment: "This is fantastic! With a place to spend Bitcoins, we can now begin accepting them from our readers. Thanks, WordPress!"

Indeed! I also liked this one:

Quote from: Niko link=http://en.blog.wordpress.com/2012/11/15/pay-another-way-bitcoin/#comment-163560
This is very interesting. I didn’t know of Bitcoin… thank you!

PS: How do we make a quote linking to a different site?
dserrano5
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 08:06:46 AM

haha, I'm not telling.  Although we could have another big annoucement tomorrow, if the lawyers get everything approved.

Why tomorrow? Let this wordpress shockwave settle down a bit, then attack again with that second announcement Wink.
Daily Anarchist

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2012, 08:08:22 AM

haha, I'm not telling.  Although we could have another big annoucement tomorrow, if the lawyers get everything approved.

Why tomorrow? Let this wordpress shockwave settle down a bit, then attack again with that second announcement Wink.

No, I think the one-two punch is more powerful!

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: