Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 05:15:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 [75] 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 ... 156 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Bitcoin money?  (Read 112091 times)
Mayora143

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 17, 2017, 08:09:04 AM

Bitcoin is something radically new. Nothing like Bitcoin has been possible until now. I would go so far as to consider it sui generis; "in its own class".  This makes it important to understand what Bitcoin actually is before we try to describe it to others.

We're getting a good handle on the code, and of course on Bitcoin's function and utility, but what words should we use to describe Bitcoin itself? There has been some debate in other threads [mostly my doing] over how it is like/not like money, cash, dollars, etc. I'd like to start this thread by focusing on the term "money", and play Devil's avocate by asking for your best arguments that Bitcoin IS money.

My legal dictionary states "In usual and ordinary acceptation it [money] means gold, silver, or paper money, used as circulating medium of exchange, and does not embrace notes, bonds, evidences of debt, or other personal or real estate." [cites omitted]

Wikipedia says "Money is any object that is generally accepted as payment for goods and services and repayment of debts in a given country or socio-economic context. The main functions of money are distinguished as: a medium of exchange; a unit of account; a store of value; and, occasionally, a standard of deferred payment." [cited omitted]

Webster's Online Dictionary defines money as:
    • 1. The most common medium of exchange; functions as legal tender; "we tried to collect the money he owed us".
    • 2. Wealth reckoned in terms of money; "all his money is in real estate".
    • 3. The official currency issued by a government or national bank; "he changed his money into francs".
    • 4. A piece of metal, as gold, silver, copper, etc., coined, or stamped, and issued by the sovereign authority as a medium of exchange in financial transactions between citizens and with government; also, any number of such pieces; coin.
    • 5. Any written or stamped promise, certificate, or order, as a government note, a bank note, a certificate of deposit, etc., which is payable in standard coined money and is lawfully current in lieu of it; in a comprehensive sense, any currency usually and lawfully employed in buying and selling.
    • 6. In general, wealth; property; as, he has much money in land, or in stocks; to make, or lose, money.
    [links omitted]
    [/list]

I maintain that per these definitions, Bitcoin cannot possibly be described as "money". And further, I think that those who do describe Bitcoin as "money" are doing this community a disservice.

But that is just my point of view. Are there any that can convincingly argue otherwise, that Bitcoin IS money?

Well bitcoin is a type of curreny to start with, but it exists in the cyber world. It may exist in the internet but we can receive the worth of our bitcoins in real world through remittance centers, banks or by simply linking our credit cards to our bitcoin wallet so in that way we won't have to withdraw money and risk getting robbed from the atm. Bitcoin is also a good way to transact with other people far away without anyone leaving their place and pay by bitcoins and their product to  be delivered. It truly is a wonderful invention because bitcoin has made many people's lives easy.
    Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
    Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
    Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
    gulshan1

Activity: 630
    Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
    September 17, 2017, 08:33:19 AM

Bitcoin is a big money of a whole world and not of a particular country. Bitcoin is exist on the base of every country currency and without any physical currency bitcoin have a zero value. Due to new technology and modem advance time bitcoin is using as digital money online.

SATURN
    Liquidity providerfor crypto markets Cross-chain Exchange & OTC trading Platform
    ────────  Facebook Twitter ♦  Telegram ♦  Blog ♦  Bitcointalk   ────────
    kpcian

Activity: 826
    Merit: 529

View Profile
    September 17, 2017, 09:30:24 AM

Basically, Bitcoin is a payment system which costs a low fee and it requires less formalities. Bitcoin is called also a decentralized digital money which can be transacted staying at home. Bitcoin is the open source which is open for all. you can use Bitcoin for the purpose of purchasing whatever you want. so it must be called a newly invented money.
    megynacuna

Activity: 756
    Merit: 253

View Profile
    September 17, 2017, 10:27:37 AM

So far as Bitcoin can be converted into any other money(fiats) and vice versa I think it's money. It has all the properties of money and even more through the decentralized blockchain technology backing its usage.
    Chrystora123

Activity: 1414
    Merit: 228

Omicron is another FUD

View Profile
    September 17, 2017, 10:45:36 AM

I think that bitcoin is not money, bitcoin is a new way of earning money, bitcoin is the same as gold or mine, miner miner bitcoin, then bitcoin they can buy, and there is an exchange Grin

theblack_cat

Activity: 406

View Profile
    September 17, 2017, 10:58:17 AM

I think bitcoin is a digital currency that can serve as a way to multiply money by way of investing, trading, mining, or other ways that can double our money and I am very happy with it and I really hope that bitcoin will continue to increase

FST Network   Fast, Smart, Trustworthy.   Bounty
    Medium   Facebook   Twitter   Telegram
    Heni23

Activity: 56

View Profile
    September 17, 2017, 11:34:34 AM

Bitcoin is an electronic money made in 2009 by Satoshi Nakamoto. The name is also associated with the open source software that he designed, and also uses a peer-to-peer network without centralized storage or a single administrator where the US Treasury calls the bitcoin of a decentralized currency....
    Yarsk

Activity: 448
    Merit: 122

View Profile
    September 17, 2017, 11:39:53 AM

I believe in the future of bitcoin and the question if bitcoin is money my answer is yes. Cause why money is defined as what ever that is generally accepted as a means of payment for goods and services and in this time bitcoin is generally accepted as means of payment so bitcoin is money to me and to some other people who share the same views as mine.
    princespiglet

Activity: 12

View Profile
    September 17, 2017, 11:41:57 AM

Not really - I mean, think of something you'd like to buy right now, and try and use Bitcoin. Mostly, you can't. It's mostly a store of wealth like gold, although it's somewhat more usable than gold, but that's probably mostly because it's connected to the internet rather than being a lump of metal in a safe.
    inevertell

Activity: 172

View Profile
    September 17, 2017, 11:44:44 AM

Bitcoin it is not a money rather it is like a gold Shocked
    NoNetwork

Activity: 392
    Merit: 292

View Profile
    September 17, 2017, 11:54:04 AM

So far as Bitcoin can be converted into any other money(fiats) and vice versa I think it's money. It has all the properties of money and even more through the decentralized blockchain technology backing its usage.
    Then how would answer about Gold then? Its value can be converted to Fiat and also vice versa. It doesn't have all the properties of money since it is 'decentralized', I don't know why even said that. Bitcoin is somewhat more close to Gold than being money. It is an intangible object that has its value whenever we convert it to Fiat, we can also mine it; trade like gold. But as I've analyze it, its somewhat like  a hybrid of the two, I mean combining Gold and Money is equals to Bitcoin.
    BJFC1402

Activity: 28

View Profile
    September 17, 2017, 11:56:06 AM

in my city we have BTC exchange point. So money - yes. Only money - no
    The daddy

Activity: 26

View Profile
    September 17, 2017, 12:37:45 PM

Bitcoin is something radically new. Nothing like Bitcoin has been possible until now. I would go so far as to consider it sui generis; "in its own class".  This makes it important to understand what Bitcoin actually is before we try to describe it to others.

We're getting a good handle on the code, and of course on Bitcoin's function and utility, but what words should we use to describe Bitcoin itself? There has been some debate in other threads [mostly my doing] over how it is like/not like money, cash, dollars, etc. I'd like to start this thread by focusing on the term "money", and play Devil's avocate by asking for your best arguments that Bitcoin IS money.

My legal dictionary states "In usual and ordinary acceptation it [money] means gold, silver, or paper money, used as circulating medium of exchange, and does not embrace notes, bonds, evidences of debt, or other personal or real estate." [cites omitted]

Wikipedia says "Money is any object that is generally accepted as payment for goods and services and repayment of debts in a given country or socio-economic context. The main functions of money are distinguished as: a medium of exchange; a unit of account; a store of value; and, occasionally, a standard of deferred payment." [cited omitted]

Webster's Online Dictionary defines money as:
      • 1. The most common medium of exchange; functions as legal tender; "we tried to collect the money he owed us".
      • 2. Wealth reckoned in terms of money; "all his money is in real estate".
      • 3. The official currency issued by a government or national bank; "he changed his money into francs".
      • 4. A piece of metal, as gold, silver, copper, etc., coined, or stamped, and issued by the sovereign authority as a medium of exchange in financial transactions between citizens and with government; also, any number of such pieces; coin.
      • 5. Any written or stamped promise, certificate, or order, as a government note, a bank note, a certificate of deposit, etc., which is payable in standard coined money and is lawfully current in lieu of it; in a comprehensive sense, any currency usually and lawfully employed in buying and selling.
      • 6. In general, wealth; property; as, he has much money in land, or in stocks; to make, or lose, money.
      [links omitted]
      [/list]

I maintain that per these definitions, Bitcoin cannot possibly be described as "money". And further, I think that those who do describe Bitcoin as "money" are doing this community a disservice.

But that is just my point of view. Are there any that can convincingly argue otherwise, that Bitcoin IS money?

In my own opinion, bitcoin is an electronic money and or sometimes called as the cryptocurrency inside the internet. It was made last 2009 by Satoshi Nakamoto. The word "bitcoin" is also associated with the open source software that he had designed. And this bitcoin also uses a peer-to-peer network without centralized storage or a single administrator.
      citizenh-ssd

Activity: 187

View Profile
      September 17, 2017, 12:45:33 PM

Bitcoin is a new kind of money that can be used as an investment and make good money. In addition, they can use absolutely everything without age restrictions.

Best Dreams

Activity: 1008
      Merit: 101

View Profile
      September 17, 2017, 05:02:31 PM

The more time that goes on, the more people will realize Bitcoin truly is money. It is just people who do not understand it who think it isn't money. Sucks to be them. Tongue
      Yes it is money if it’s not money that how are going to buy things or how you change in to cash if still no one believe that bitcoin is money so try to buy and then cashed it hope it will be enough to them to understand.
      Praesidium

Activity: 409
      Merit: 103

View Profile
      September 17, 2017, 05:13:29 PM

Bitcoin can be considered money because it is a cryptocurrency. Bitcoin is a digital currency that enables you to trade things with maximum privacy it cant be tracked. Bitcoin can be considered money because it has marketvalue, economyvalue and can use to purchase things.
      winterland

Activity: 434

View Profile
      September 17, 2017, 09:50:24 PM

Court records are public access and you should have tried there first. Florida court declared that Bitcoin is a commodity and that was almost two years ago. It is all over the place and not hard to find. This is the key to making money, research and the ability to find information without help.  Bitcoin can be seen as money or a tool to make money.
      The status of bitcoin varies from country to country so it is not easy to give a definitive answer besides it does not matter the legal definition that bitcoin may have if the reality is different, in Florida bitcoin can be declared a commodity but we know that bitcoin is money, there is no way around that.
      Granxis

Activity: 1400
      Merit: 536

View Profile
      September 18, 2017, 04:38:44 AM

It's not exactly a currency, but it's better to say a digital commodity, not a currency, I do not think it's a mission. The important thing is to make our life easier.

.Duelbits.
      █▀▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄▄
      TRY OUR
        NEW  UNIQUE
      GAMES!
      ..DICE...
      ███████████████████████████████
      ███▀▀                     ▀▀███
      ███    ▄▄▄▄         ▄▄▄▄    ███
      ███   ██████       ██████   ███
      ███   ▀████▀       ▀████▀   ███
      ███                         ███
      ███   ▄████▄       ▄████▄   ███
      ███   ██████       ██████   ███
      ███    ▀▀▀▀         ▀▀▀▀    ███
      ███▄▄                     ▄▄███
      .MINES.
      ████████████████████████▄▀▄████
      ██████████████▀▄▄▄▀█████▄▀▄████
      ████████████▀ █████▄▀████ █████
      ██████████      █████▄▀▀▄██████
      ███████▀          ▀████████████
      █████▀              ▀██████████
      █████                ██████████
      ████▌                ▐█████████
      █████                ██████████
      ██████▄            ▄███████████
      ████████▄▄      ▄▄█████████████
      .PLINKO.
      █████████▀▀▀       ▀▀▀█████████
      ██████▀  ▄▄███ ███      ▀██████
      █████  ▄▀▀                █████
      ████  ▀                    ████
      ████                       ████
      █████                     █████
      ██████▄                 ▄██████
      █████████▄▄▄       ▄▄▄█████████
      10,000x
      MULTIPLIER
      NEARLY UP TO
      .50%. REWARDS
      ▀▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄▄█
      rudox

Activity: 476

View Profile
      September 18, 2017, 04:48:48 AM

Bitcoin is money. It is a medium of exchange and answer to needs. It can be exchange to any world  currency.
      BabyBoss

Activity: 462

View Profile
      September 18, 2017, 04:53:11 AM

Ofcourse Bitcoin is money the different of bitcoin in cash is that bitcoin is digital while cash is paper. They are both important to all of us. Bitcoin can stored in wallet and it will become double to triple after how many months or years while paper money can stored to but it will not become double or triple even how many years unless you will invest it or save it in bank, atleast there is interest.
      Pages: « 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 [75] 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 ... 156 »
        Print  

Jump to: