Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 04:32:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 [130] 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Bitcoin money?  (Read 112106 times)
Jraf95

Activity: 170
Merit: 46

View Profile
December 23, 2017, 01:47:35 PM

+1 agree that it is not money.  However, if it was a pure commodity then it would necessarily require some (even minimal) use value, beyond an exchange value.  Right now bitcoins have a 0% use-value and a 100% exchange value (eg, if they could not be exchanged for something else, they would merely be taking up space on our harddrives and are inherently useless, like random chunks of data).
Bitcoin is not money but the fact is bitcoin can have a money and can give you money, its a kind of organization that can gives us money if we used to be, bitcoin is just the group of program that link's all of us so that we can manage true net of what we've transacted  here in bitcoin
kyanscadiel

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 23, 2017, 02:42:51 PM

Agree with post. My personal opinion is that actually Bitcoin is intangible money but it has a acceptable power over the world.
Yes, I agree. Bitcoin is a money from the internet where you can use through paying your bills and purchase something you wanted. It is also converted into money that we can use to buy something. Bitcoin is intangible kind of money, but it has a power. It helps many more people who knows this. It can help people to secure their future lives or change their lives forever. Bitcoins price continue on increasing, so it continue on helping others.
Bitcoin is a scarce digital commodity used as money of many people around the world. It is use for payments when we purchase things on the online shops and we also use it to send money to our loved ones.

Marileno

Activity: 215
Merit: 101

✔ Crypto portfolio | ✔ Telegram/APP

View Profile
December 23, 2017, 02:43:44 PM

Is gold money?

The answer to the question is the exact same answer for bitcoin. Some people believes gold is as good as money, while other's dont. The EXACT same situation exists with bitcoin.
HackS

Activity: 86

View Profile
December 23, 2017, 03:00:42 PM

Bitcoin is something radically new. Nothing like Bitcoin has been possible until now. I would go so far as to consider it sui generis; "in its own class".  This makes it important to understand what Bitcoin actually is before we try to describe it to others.

We're getting a good handle on the code, and of course on Bitcoin's function and utility, but what words should we use to describe Bitcoin itself? There has been some debate in other threads [mostly my doing] over how it is like/not like money, cash, dollars, etc. I'd like to start this thread by focusing on the term "money", and play Devil's avocate by asking for your best arguments that Bitcoin IS money.

My legal dictionary states "In usual and ordinary acceptation it [money] means gold, silver, or paper money, used as circulating medium of exchange, and does not embrace notes, bonds, evidences of debt, or other personal or real estate." [cites omitted]

Wikipedia says "Money is any object that is generally accepted as payment for goods and services and repayment of debts in a given country or socio-economic context. The main functions of money are distinguished as: a medium of exchange; a unit of account; a store of value; and, occasionally, a standard of deferred payment." [cited omitted]

Webster's Online Dictionary defines money as:
    • 1. The most common medium of exchange; functions as legal tender; "we tried to collect the money he owed us".
    • 2. Wealth reckoned in terms of money; "all his money is in real estate".
    • 3. The official currency issued by a government or national bank; "he changed his money into francs".
    • 4. A piece of metal, as gold, silver, copper, etc., coined, or stamped, and issued by the sovereign authority as a medium of exchange in financial transactions between citizens and with government; also, any number of such pieces; coin.
    • 5. Any written or stamped promise, certificate, or order, as a government note, a bank note, a certificate of deposit, etc., which is payable in standard coined money and is lawfully current in lieu of it; in a comprehensive sense, any currency usually and lawfully employed in buying and selling.
    • 6. In general, wealth; property; as, he has much money in land, or in stocks; to make, or lose, money.
    [links omitted]
    [/list]

I maintain that per these definitions, Bitcoin cannot possibly be described as "money". And further, I think that those who do describe Bitcoin as "money" are doing this community a disservice.

But that is just my point of view. Are there any that can convincingly argue otherwise, that Bitcoin IS money?

First of all there are real life btcs their value is even higher then digital btc, and of course I know that they are for collectors and that they are rare.
    As you mentioned money is term for value for every living and unliving item except air ( for now and gulp) which means that money is not just paper (money is all around us but we don't know how to use it) and its meant for buying selling or trading (I'm kinda describing the term money ) so if you can trade that digital BTC for $ that means that it can be called money. They are trying to make something like credit cards (my humble opinion) in near future to make transactions easier or to make it world wide currency ,for as we all know about technology importance in today's world and as it highly relays on it will be a big part of the future.
    HackS

Activity: 86

View Profile
    December 23, 2017, 03:02:17 PM

Bitcoin is something radically new. Nothing like Bitcoin has been possible until now. I would go so far as to consider it sui generis; "in its own class".  This makes it important to understand what Bitcoin actually is before we try to describe it to others.

We're getting a good handle on the code, and of course on Bitcoin's function and utility, but what words should we use to describe Bitcoin itself? There has been some debate in other threads [mostly my doing] over how it is like/not like money, cash, dollars, etc. I'd like to start this thread by focusing on the term "money", and play Devil's avocate by asking for your best arguments that Bitcoin IS money.

My legal dictionary states "In usual and ordinary acceptation it [money] means gold, silver, or paper money, used as circulating medium of exchange, and does not embrace notes, bonds, evidences of debt, or other personal or real estate." [cites omitted]

Wikipedia says "Money is any object that is generally accepted as payment for goods and services and repayment of debts in a given country or socio-economic context. The main functions of money are distinguished as: a medium of exchange; a unit of account; a store of value; and, occasionally, a standard of deferred payment." [cited omitted]

• 1. The most common medium of exchange; functions as legal tender; "we tried to collect the money he owed us".
      • 3. The official currency issued by a government or national bank; "he changed his money into francs".
      • 4. A piece of metal, as gold, silver, copper, etc., coined, or stamped, and issued by the sovereign authority as a medium of exchange in financial transactions between citizens and with government; also, any number of such pieces; coin.
      • 5. Any written or stamped promise, certificate, or order, as a government note, a bank note, a certificate of deposit, etc., which is payable in standard coined money and is lawfully current in lieu of it; in a comprehensive sense, any currency usually and lawfully employed in buying and selling.
      • 6. In general, wealth; property; as, he has much money in land, or in stocks; to make, or lose, money.
      [links omitted]
      [/list]

I maintain that per these definitions, Bitcoin cannot possibly be described as "money". And further, I think that those who do describe Bitcoin as "money" are doing this community a disservice.

But that is just my point of view. Are there any that can convincingly argue otherwise, that Bitcoin IS money?

First of all there are real life btcs their value is even higher then digital btc, and of course I know that they are for collectors and that they are rare.
      As you mentioned money is term for value for every living and unliving item except air ( for now and gulp) which means that money is not just paper (money is all around us but we don't know how to use it) and its meant for buying selling or trading (I'm kinda describing the term money ) so if you can trade that digital BTC for $ that means that it can be called money. They are trying to make something like credit cards (my humble opinion) in near future to make transactions easier or to make it world wide currency ,for as we all know about technology importance in today's world and as it highly relays on it will be a big part of the future.
      I forgot to say you would be a good lawyer.
      Tambu

Activity: 224
      Merit: 3

View Profile WWW
      December 23, 2017, 03:04:52 PM

Bitcoin is money in digital form.

MONARCH  |  THE COMPLETE CRYPTO SOLUTION  |  Private Sale is LIVE!
      ▬▬  "Be your own KING"  |  PRE-SALE: JUNE 15, 2018  ▬▬▬▬▬
      batman12345

Activity: 51
      Merit: 0

View Profile
      December 23, 2017, 03:05:01 PM

in my opinion bitcoin is real money like gold which bitcoin supply in limit ..

but since there was a shift in the meaning of bitcoin changed because a lot of money laundering used thether(USDT) to buy another bitcoin or ctpytocurreny
      cryptojohn9

Activity: 168

View Profile
      December 23, 2017, 03:45:09 PM

Anything that is being used as a medium of exchange is money. The function of money is to serve as medium of exchange, store of value, and more. Bitcoin serve that activity, thus pass the "duck" test.
      danielnamit

Activity: 201
      Merit: 10

View Profile
      December 24, 2017, 10:00:47 AM

Yes bitcoin is also a money, although it is just a electronic money, we can exchange it in one's currency like here in Philippines, Pesos. It is better for me to have electronic money rather than physical ones since money in electronic is not stable meaning your money may rise or it may badly goes down.

▐|   EOS Exchange   |▌          The Exchange for the EOS Community!          ▐|   EOSex   |▌
                          ICO: 15th October to 20th November  |  Free EXP Tokens: Join Bounty!                    
      Whitepaper               ANN Thread               Telegram               Twitter               Mobile
      juddtrump

Activity: 31

View Profile
      December 24, 2017, 10:30:43 AM

Money is primarily a medium of exchange. It enables a person to trade what he has for what he wants. Ideal money has three critical characteristics: it acts as a medium of exchange; it is an economic good; and it is a means of economic calculation.

The best approach is to let the people decide what they want to use as money. There is no need for a central bank, government control, or legal tender laws. History has shown that, when left up to the people, silver and gold tend to gravitate to the role of money for the reasons that it is scarce, durable and therefore great store of value, divisible and therefore tradable, portable, proven and has use value.

Bitcoin is a new invention, or creation, designed to address this market demand for a better medium of exchange. As a new creation, with its own use value, it becomes a new commodity.

The several features and benefits that make bitcoin a highly desired medium of exchange and a run away success are privacy, lower transaction cost, person to person payment functionality, limited supply, portable, compact, decentralised and free from centralised control.

Whether Bitcoin is a money or not depends upon the jurisdiction we are talking about. In Japan it is money because it has been given recognition as a legal tender or as a legitimate medium of exchange. In India it is not money because in India one cannot use it as a medium of exchange for goods and services. But it is being increasingly used as an investment option in various jurisdictions even where it is not being recognized as money.
      RudeeTam

Activity: 299
      Merit: 11

View Profile
      December 24, 2017, 10:44:33 AM

If it's based on the contextual meaning of money then yes, bitcoin is not money. But it IS money in another form. But I believe bitcoin is clearly better than money in it's own right. It's entirely relative but if I have to say one thing about this issue, then it's "Bitcoin can make money".

● sgamepro ●   ❐ Telegram ❐   ❐ Whitepaper ❐     ● sgamepro ●
      ███   PLAY MOBILE GAMES MINE   ███
      ████ █     CRYPTO-TOKENS EARN REAL MONEY █ ████
      Kulafu

Activity: 140
      Merit: 2

View Profile
      December 24, 2017, 10:47:54 AM

Basically the bitcoin is a money.
      unfortunately is not widely accepted yet in the market therefore need to convert into a non virtual currency.

DATAREUM.NET  |  A DECENTRALIZED MARKETPLACE FOR DATA
      ━━━━━⚫     Pre-ICO starts at APR 28, 2018     ⚫━━━━━
      bitcoinskyrocket09

Activity: 239

View Profile
      December 24, 2017, 11:04:15 AM

[links omitted]
        [/list]

Is bitcoin is money? Yes because many people are investing on it's for their future because many people like my friends are becoming rich because of bitcoin . And Bitcoin are becoming popular and have a possibility to become the new money currency
        haster100

Activity: 154

View Profile
        December 24, 2017, 11:50:47 AM

Bitcoin is money for me, because you can exchange it for fiat. In addition, even online bitkoyn - this is really money, which offer an online store that takes bitcoin. The last quick transactions when exchanging for fiat.
        daarul50
        Legendary

Activity: 1596
        Merit: 1034

View Profile
        December 24, 2017, 12:24:04 PM

Bitcoin is not money but works for money. Bitcoin is a cryptocurrency that we can use for various transactions. However, if we want to use fixed bitcoin we have to exchange the bitcoin for money except for the bitcoin transaction.
        Azurewrath

Activity: 34

View Profile
        December 24, 2017, 12:39:35 PM

its not money, but an asset, it not convient to use, people need to wait for a long time for confirm and also the fee is too high, besides, the price is not steable which will be hated by the market as money
        julius caesar

Activity: 644
        Merit: 127

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
        December 24, 2017, 12:45:13 PM

Anything that is being used as a medium of exchange is money. Bitcoin, like gold, is money.

I agree with that and in terms of medium of payment Bitcoin is a lot more better cause it pumps the chances for you to become more profitable were good. Bitcoin is money in the sense that you can be able to have profit just transfer or convert it into your local money to become cash.

manoj kumar k

Activity: 182

View Profile
        December 26, 2017, 10:19:12 AM

yes bitcoin can be considered as money but it is not a hard currency it cannot be felt but it can be used for everything it is a crypto currency
        MWesterweele

Activity: 1372
        Merit: 564

View Profile
        December 26, 2017, 10:35:13 AM

[links omitted]
          [/list]

I forgot to say you would be a good lawyer.
          Maybe yes interms of paying in online but not yet in paying or buying in some store, also bitcoin is much higher value than cash so it not easy to someone to use it and not convenient to pay in store or in daily expenses, maybe it become money when it exchange it in currency.

▀█████████████████████
                      ▀▀██████
              ▄▄
          ▀████▄▄  ▀████
            ▄████▄
          ▀█████▄  ▀███
           ████▀▀
             ▄██████  ▀███
          ████▀
             ▄████▀████  ████
          ████  ▄█▄
          ▀█▀  ████  █████
          ████▄████▀
             ▄████  ████
           ██████▀
             ▄▄████  ▄███
            ▀█████▄
          ▀████▀  ▄███
              ▀▀████▄
          ▀▀  ▄████
                      ▄▄██████
                 ▄███████████
          ████████████████████████████████████
          FUN TOKEN
          ██████████████     ██████████████████████
          ██████████
           ██████████
            ██████████
             ██████████
              ██████████
               ██████████
                ██████████
               ██████████
              ██████████
             ██████████
            ██████████
           ██████████
          ██████████
          FreeBitco.in Adopts FUN Token for
          Premium Membership Program
          ██████████
           ██████████
            ██████████
             ██████████
              ██████████
               ██████████
                ██████████
               ██████████
              ██████████
             ██████████
            ██████████
           ██████████
          ██████████
          ██████████
           ██████████
            ██████████
             ██████████
              ██████████
               ██████████
                ██████████
               ██████████
              ██████████
             ██████████
            ██████████
           ██████████
          ██████████

▄
                ▀▄  ▀  ▄▀
           ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
          █████████████████████
          ██  ▄▄▀█  ██ █  ██ ██
          ██  ▄▄▀█  ██ ██▄ ▄███
          ██  ▀▀▄█▄ ▀▀▄███ ████
          █████████████ ▄▄▄ ▀▀█
           ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▐████▄▄
                ▄▀  ▄    █████▄
                    ▀     ▀ ▀███
                              ▀
          41M Users to Buy and Hold
          FUN for Premium Benefits
          .Learn More.
          VladG

Activity: 29

View Profile
          December 26, 2017, 10:37:32 AM

Doesn't matter if is money or not, we can buy what we want with them... xd
          Pages: « 1 ... 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 [130] 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 »
            Print  

Jump to: