Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 08:47:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Just what is a clock buffer anyway?  (Read 16542 times)
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 30, 2012, 09:45:58 PM

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
SLok

Activity: 568
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 01, 2012, 12:56:50 AM

This whole thread is about a typo?

Holy fuck.

Sad
Every thread turns into a venting opportunity for a bunch of sour guys that otherwise would be staring at the bitcoin mining calculator page, thinking of what could have been.

WARNING! Don't trade BTC with Bruno Kucinskas aka Gleb Gamow, Phinnaeus Gage, etc Laundering BTC from anonymous sellers, avoid!https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=649176.msg7279994#msg7279994 #TELLFBI #TELLKSAG #TELLIRS WARNING! Darin M. Bicknell, a proclaimed atheist, teaching at the Jakarta CanadianMontessori School. Drop your kids there at your own risk! WARNING! Christian Otzipka - Hildesheim is a known group-buy scammer, avoid! WARNING! Frizz Supertramp, faker with dozens of accounts here! WARNING! Christian "2 coins to see SLOk's" Antkow, still playing his little microphone...WARNING! Slobodan "Stolen Valor" Bogovac, faking being a ProfessorWARNING!Marion Sydney Lynn, google him, errr her, errr.. and lol
abeaulieu

Activity: 295
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 01, 2012, 01:23:28 AM

Holy fuck.

Sad
Every thread turns into a venting opportunity for a bunch of sour guys that otherwise would be staring at the bitcoin mining calculator page, thinking of what could have been.

Agreed. This thread was presumably a technical question relating to electronic design and ASIC manufacturing.
eldentyrell
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

felonious vagrancy, personified

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2012, 02:41:29 AM

Well, it was about clock buffers and then Josh/Inaba decided it ought to be about typos (or terminology, at least).

I'd rather talk about mask sets, respins, and clock buffers.

The printing press heralded the end of the Dark Ages and made the Enlightenment possible, but it took another three centuries before any country managed to put freedom of the press beyond the reach of legislators.  So it may take a while before cryptocurrencies are free of the AML-NSA-KYC surveillance plague.
Starlightbreaker
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1006

View Profile
December 01, 2012, 04:41:59 AM

Well, it was about clock buffers and then Josh/Inaba decided it ought to be about typos (or terminology, at least).

typical BFL diversion techniques.

Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2012, 05:21:22 AM

There's no diversion, it's called "Correcting people who are spreading false information."  Don't post false information, I won't correct you.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274

View Profile
December 01, 2012, 05:30:38 AM

There's no diversion, it's called "Correcting people who are spreading false information."  Don't post false information, I won't correct you.

What is false about pointing out the possible dangers of making changes to the clock tree?
Inaba
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2012, 06:24:12 AM

Nothing... I was referring to and correcting Elden as to his BS about how BFL isn't using a full custom ASIC and pointing out that just about everything he says about BFL turns out to be wrong, so people should be wary about what he says with regards to clock buffers, as it's clear he's either got an agenda or doesn't know what he's talking about (or both).  

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
BitSyncom

Activity: 336
Merit: 251

Avalon ASIC Team

View Profile
December 01, 2012, 06:49:40 AM

Nothing... I was referring to and correcting Elden as to his BS about how BFL isn't using a full custom ASIC and pointing out that just about everything he says about BFL turns out to be wrong, so people should be wary about what he says with regards to clock buffers, as it's clear he's either got an agenda or doesn't know what he's talking about (or both).  

Good luck with this and your custom material QFN packaging, at this point I personally seriously doubt you'll be able to ship on time.

creativex

Activity: 434

View Profile
December 01, 2012, 07:07:11 AM

Good luck with this and your custom material QFN packaging, at this point I personally seriously doubt you'll be able to ship on time.

Have they ever?

BitSyncom

Avalon ASIC Team

View Profile
December 01, 2012, 09:22:37 AM
Last edit: December 01, 2012, 09:39:30 AM by BitSyncom

Have they ever?

It is my job not to under estimate my competitors, but now with the recent news and simulations the Avalon engineering team has ran. I now agree with them completely.

p.s.
This means for a long time the engineering team has believed BFL will not ship on time.

p.p.s.
for us to run the process of creating a custom QFN packaging it'll take 3 month.

eldentyrell
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980

felonious vagrancy, personified

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2012, 10:12:39 AM

Elden as to his BS about how BFL isn't using a full custom ASIC

I never said that.

The printing press heralded the end of the Dark Ages and made the Enlightenment possible, but it took another three centuries before any country managed to put freedom of the press beyond the reach of legislators.  So it may take a while before cryptocurrencies are free of the AML-NSA-KYC surveillance plague.
bitcoindaddy

Activity: 481

View Profile
December 01, 2012, 01:41:48 PM

Where is all this hate coming from?  Most of you haven't even ordered an ASIC from BFL so why would you care if they ship on time or not?
creativex

Activity: 434

View Profile
December 01, 2012, 04:03:48 PM

Just because you didn't order from them doesn't mean you're unaffected by their delays. I ordered from their competition, so I most definitely care if/when BFL ships. This effects the entire crypto economy.

For myself, I don't hate BFL, I'd just prefer they hadn't been able to capture such a huge piece of the ASIC pie with their dishonest tactics of promising what they have no chance of delivering.

Inaba
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2012, 04:21:15 PM

Elden as to his BS about how BFL isn't using a full custom ASIC

I never said that.

Are you a pathological liar or something?  Are you denying you wrote this?

It's utterly pointless to compare a standard-cell design to a full-custom design using transistor count.  Even between full-custom designs it's normal to see a 4x variation in area based on the foresight of the architect and the skill of the layout designer.  By the way, BFL doesn't use the phrase "full custom" to mean the same thing it means in the industry.

By the way, BFL doesn't use the phrase "full custom" to mean the same thing it means in the industry.

We don't?  Please elaborate. (I'm serious, I'm not being snarky.  If we/I am using it incorrectly, then I would like to use the proper term.)

Standard-cell ASICs and synthesis-flow ASICs are not considered full-custom chips.

The phrase "fully custom" is a BFL-ism that sounds a lot like "truthiness" Smiley  In fact the third google hit for "fully custom asic" on the entire interweb is BFL which ought to be a hint that it is a contortion of the usual industry terminology...

I asked you point blank if we are not using the phrase "full custom" correctly to describe our chips, what is wrong with it.  You proceeded to explain that what BFL was describing was a Standard-cell ASIC and/or synthesis-flow ASIC.  Ok, so I guess I missed a reason as to why you post such nonsense:  You a) Have an agenda, b) Don't know what you're talking about or c) are a pathological liar. 

I guess it's up for grabs which one.

Starlightbreaker
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1006

View Profile
December 01, 2012, 04:33:10 PM

Have they ever?

It is my job not to under estimate my competitors, but now with the recent news and simulations the Avalon engineering team has ran. I now agree with them completely.

p.s.
This means for a long time the engineering team has believed BFL will not ship on time.

p.p.s.
for us to run the process of creating a custom QFN packaging it'll take 3 month.

february or march then?

Tongue

SLok

View Profile
December 01, 2012, 05:10:55 PM

Just because you didn't order from them doesn't mean you're unaffected by their delays. I ordered from their competition, so I most definitely care if/when BFL ships. This effects the entire crypto economy.

For myself, I don't hate BFL, I'd just prefer they hadn't been able to capture such a huge piece of the ASIC pie with their dishonest tactics of promising what they have no chance of delivering.
How does their delay effect "the entire crypto economy"? You should jump from joy at every bfl delay, so the delay from your vendor does not push you too far back behind that tenfold/whatever difficulty line. About that pie, so far there's a max. 300pcs batch at Avalon, there's a max. 1000pcs batch at bctfpga, and anyone else that wants a piece of the pie can only go to bfl. How can that be bfl's fault?

WARNING! Don't trade BTC with Bruno Kucinskas aka Gleb Gamow, Phinnaeus Gage, etc Laundering BTC from anonymous sellers, avoid!https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=649176.msg7279994#msg7279994 #TELLFBI #TELLKSAG #TELLIRS WARNING! Darin M. Bicknell, a proclaimed atheist, teaching at the Jakarta CanadianMontessori School. Drop your kids there at your own risk! WARNING! Christian Otzipka - Hildesheim is a known group-buy scammer, avoid! WARNING! Frizz Supertramp, faker with dozens of accounts here! WARNING! Christian "2 coins to see SLOk's" Antkow, still playing his little microphone...WARNING! Slobodan "Stolen Valor" Bogovac, faking being a ProfessorWARNING!Marion Sydney Lynn, google him, errr her, errr.. and lol
BitSyncom

Avalon ASIC Team

View Profile
December 01, 2012, 05:30:30 PM

Quote from: SLok

For myself, I don't hate BFL, I'd just prefer they hadn't been able to capture such a huge piece of the ASIC pie with their dis
How does their delay effect "the entire crypto economy"? You should jump from joy at every bfl delay, so the delay from your vendor does not push you too far back behind that tenfold/whatever difficulty line. About that pie, so far there's a max. 300pcs batch at Avalon, there's a max. 1000pcs batch at bctfpga, and anyone else that wants a piece of the pie can only go to bfl. How can that be bfl's fault?
actually there is more than 300, just that we are releasing smaller batch at a time to avoid back orders. soon as we start shipping we'll start the order for the next batch, our chip batch is much much greater than that

ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2012, 05:35:50 PM

february or march then?

Tongue

FTFY  Cheesy
SLok

View Profile
December 01, 2012, 06:05:39 PM

Quote from: SLok
actually there is more than 300, just that we are releasing smaller batch at a time to avoid back orders. soon as we start shipping we'll start the order for the next batch, our chip batch is much much greater than that
Okay, I see. Thanks for clearing up. I was under the impression that the success of the 300 batch would determine if a next batch would come into production. At a competitive price. But that doesn't change the fact that the pie so far has 1300 pieces from 2 vendors and the rest is bfl's.

ps fixed that quote for you.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: