Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:47:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Hacking KNC Titan / Jupiter / Neptune miners back to life. Why not?  (Read 76589 times)
Longsnowsm

Activity: 868
Merit: 517

View Profile
April 09, 2016, 11:36:09 PM

Better late then never. I got around finally to putting in an electrical sub panel for my 100 amp service (you know you drank the kool aid when you put in an 8 slot sub panel

on only a 100 amp service that already HAD 32 slots..sheesh) Smiley Talk about frigging overkill!

anyone needs this done ..it is easy ...100 amp service ...sub panel to 50 amp breaker on main service...directions on YouTube easy peazy Smiley

That is awesome!  You did this yourself? 

Anyway .....take Neptune 6 port card...remove (carefully..wiggle slowly .may take 5 min) the beagle bone black ....put the model Raspberry PI 512mn B+ into the

clone bridge.....and again very carefully work the combo PI/bridge into the 6 port Neptune card. By the By left the LCD in works just like the Titan one then I

tossed up KNC IMG on a Sandisk 8gb Class 10 and VIOLA my creation WORKS!

I then tossed up my 1 cube with only 1 working die (as a potential sacrifice to the ASIC gods ..ie boom) but all was well came right up ...I dared to dream

and put the 1 die at 325 adv setting and -0.0366 .......brave I was ....over clocking this 1 working die and all Smiley Will put the tarky titan software on (3rd license)

when I get time....but anyway chugging along nicely Smiley

Sounds like it would be a good idea to have some of these spare boards around...  This entire board cluster is pretty fragile.  My short opportunity handling the Titan controller was enough to to make me question Knc's mindset.  I mean seriously why would you sell these rigs with controllers that bare pcb boards like this.   

This is great you were able to piece together something Knc said couldn't be done!  Very cool!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
April 10, 2016, 12:14:16 AM

Better late then never. I got around finally to putting in an electrical sub panel for my 100 amp service (you know you drank the kool aid when you put in an 8 slot sub panel

on only a 100 amp service that already HAD 32 slots..sheesh) Smiley Talk about frigging overkill!

anyone needs this done ..it is easy ...100 amp service ...sub panel to 50 amp breaker on main service...directions on YouTube easy peazy Smiley

That is awesome!  You did this yourself?  

Anyway .....take Neptune 6 port card...remove (carefully..wiggle slowly .may take 5 min) the beagle bone black ....put the model Raspberry PI 512mn B+ into the

clone bridge.....and again very carefully work the combo PI/bridge into the 6 port Neptune card. By the By left the LCD in works just like the Titan one then I

tossed up KNC IMG on a Sandisk 8gb Class 10 and VIOLA my creation WORKS!

I then tossed up my 1 cube with only 1 working die (as a potential sacrifice to the ASIC gods ..ie boom) but all was well came right up ...I dared to dream

and put the 1 die at 325 adv setting and -0.0366 .......brave I was ....over clocking this 1 working die and all Smiley Will put the tarky titan software on (3rd license)

when I get time....but anyway chugging along nicely Smiley

Sounds like it would be a good idea to have some of these spare boards around...  This entire board cluster is pretty fragile.  My short opportunity handling the Titan controller was enough to to make me question Knc's mindset.  I mean seriously why would you sell these rigs with controllers that bare pcb boards like this.    

This is great you were able to piece together something Knc said couldn't be done!  Very cool!

The sub panel was easy. There are youtube videos all over the place....I had a 100 amp service so put in a 50 amp double throw breaker....the leads from that went into the sub panel and viola 8 more slots.

The sub panel was easy. There are youtube videos all over the place....I had a 100 amp service so put in a 50 amp double throw breaker....the leads from that went into the sub panel and viola 8 more slots.

KNC says LOTS of things that could not be done...and Gen Tarkin and Lightfoot have already probably gone through and disproved about 95% of it

Titans also were ONLY MEANT to last somewhere past 90 days (original warranty no refunds) but KNC forgot to change the web page stating stuff from the Neptunes. So thus

they eventually buckled and said it was a year. But you can tell by the design of these Titans and the fact they were originally only 250mh ..then late so they OC'd to 300mh

then 0C'd again to 350mh....thus the dual Y PSU adapters etc......(ie the voltage plugs are at or past their limits) but again ..until they screwed up their 90 day plan

wtf...burn them up / OC the heck out of them...at least it somewhat 'burnt them' with the RMA issues etc

hmmmm....wonder how the old KNC class action is coming and if those 100 guys involved (at 1500 a pop and damages if they lose to knc) are fairing in KNC Mordor land?

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
Tupsu
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 10, 2016, 04:23:49 PM

did any custom firmware to ovrclocked titan at 350 mhz???/ Huh Huh Huh Huh

Yes. Ask from  padrino . (But it's not free)
hawkfish007

Activity: 895
Merit: 504

View Profile
April 10, 2016, 07:08:54 PM

Yes. Ask from  padrino . (But it's not free)

What is the MH gain with 350 MHz? At 325 good cubes produce about 90 MH.

For quality risers, splitters or 133 CFM fans, please visit my eBay listings,
http://www.ebay.com/sch/hawkfish007/m.html?_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Clueless!

View Profile
April 11, 2016, 04:56:53 AM
Last edit: April 11, 2016, 07:14:44 AM by Searing

Yes. Ask from  padrino . (But it's not free)

Last I heard that was for Neptunes. I never heard of any overclocking for Titans beyond 325 mh that worked. (could be wrong just saying)

edit:

Speaking of Neptune's.....I got a $44.95 fully working Neptune Cube off Ebay. (Mainly for the much longer ribbon cable and y adapter....Saturn ribbon cables on the card
I have are like 3" lol ...what I will use for this 1 cube hack for fun)

But to further go into the hole on this TOY. (when in doubt and tossing money in a hole best to keep the toy/amusement factor in mind)

I tripped over this link. Is this firmware legit...as a 3rd party FIRMWARE for the Neptune? Anyone use this for the heck of it?

(or I put it up and it mines to him or something?)

Should be in English according to the screen shots. Guess I should frigging ask.

Anyway for what it is worth for any Neptune folk out there here is the link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KNC-Neptune-custom-Firmware-Zwilla-mod-1-x-Lizenz-Paket-/322040467112?hash=item4afb1b8ea8:g:Q1sAAOSwZVhWRFX7#shpCntId

Stuff to do..stuff to do Smiley

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
lightfoot (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 2239

I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)

View Profile
April 11, 2016, 12:08:15 PM

There probably is, the Neptune firmware is a bit more annoying to crack given the lack of dev tools on the default BB. No, not working on the BB Titan code right now, other things are in front of it. How much do people want/need it?

As for restarting Neptunes, check through this whole thread, I have posted everything I know here. Right now Neptunes are not worth fixing, and oddly enough the amount I have been charging for controller boards outside of the Titans is getting to equal the value of the repaired board. So that's going away.

Can still fix Titans, but some of the issues, especially the ones where the Titan shorts the controller are out of reach. Vegas, do you have a stencil to reball a Titan die? The big problem with them is related to the 1.2 volt lines to the die controller shorting out, if you can remove those pads or cut the traces under the board you would win big time.

BitcoinPappi
Legendary

Activity: 915
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 11, 2016, 10:25:21 PM

Can still fix Titans, but some of the issues, especially the ones where the Titan shorts the controller are out of reach.

Are you giving up  lightfoot?  Tongue
lightfoot (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 12, 2016, 12:29:07 AM

Can still fix Titans, but some of the issues, especially the ones where the Titan shorts the controller are out of reach.

That's a bitch on wheels of a problem :-) So far though the only way into the chip is either with a crowbar or a blowtorch.
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 2524

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
April 12, 2016, 01:11:22 AM

re Searing:
"But to further go into the hole on this TOY. (when in doubt and tossing money in a hole best to keep the toy/amusement factor in mind)"

Absolutely love that line of thought. Hope ya don't mind if I steal that line from time to time Wink

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
lightfoot (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 12, 2016, 01:48:43 AM

That is a problem by the way: When the cost of fixing these units is not worth the value of the units you can't fix them anymore. We're reaching that point with the controllers, while I charge .3btc (about $120) keep in mind the two chips are $70 with shipping, the cost to ship a board in the US is $10, leaving about $50 bucks to spend an hour pulling the FPGA and TPS (without wrecking the board), clearing the solder, re-tinning the FQDN pads, fluxing and placing the several hundred BGA pin FPGA where being off by a MM=solder bridges and wasted chip, and reflowing the chips. Not to mention testing at each stage. About 2 hours of work, sometimes 3.

High precision work isn't done for $16 an hour, I can get that flipping burgers. But it's good for the community and got some miners going so there you are. At this point though now that we can run Titans on all those Jupiter/Neptune boards is it worth it?

Big problem with fixing stuff: By the time you get good at it the equipment is worthless. The exception seems to be Titans, a repair can turn a $0 pile of burned junk into a $700 cube. What's that worth?

Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Clueless!

View Profile
April 12, 2016, 05:24:24 AM
Last edit: April 12, 2016, 05:54:21 AM by Searing

re Searing:
"But to further go into the hole on this TOY. (when in doubt and tossing money in a hole best to keep the toy/amusement factor in mind)"

Absolutely love that line of thought. Hope ya don't mind if I steal that line from time to time Wink

NOTE:

As with all my rants from work (hey they want me awake I have to do something) if you
don't like my long rants on here.... put me on /ignore....very peaceful like I've heard)

yeah as a denial factor on $$$ flowing into stuff that will be 'bricks' next year it keeps a guy sane (kinda)

boy would I run amuck if I won the lottery....would be like this guy walking thru crypto land

(at one time pleasant loved by all....after lottery EVIL to the horror of my previous beloved masses
much like this guy) Smiley

After the full EVIL turn .....probably hang out with Sam Cole at KNC ..go to swank Swedish Super Model parties.....and plan evil stuff....and have to practice my evil laugh 'bruahahahha" shave my head like Dr. Evil" damn that sounds like a lot of frigging work) Sad

Then again crypto babe Swedish Super Models. *hubba hubba* I dump you guys in a 'heartbeat' Smiley

That is a problem by the way: When the cost of fixing these units is not worth the value of the units you can't fix them anymore. We're reaching that point with the controllers, while I charge .3btc (about $120) keep in mind the two chips are $70 with shipping, the cost to ship a board in the US is $10, leaving about $50 bucks to spend an hour pulling the FPGA and TPS (without wrecking the board), clearing the solder, re-tinning the FQDN pads, fluxing and placing the several hundred BGA pin FPGA where being off by a MM=solder bridges and wasted chip, and reflowing the chips. Not to mention testing at each stage. About 2 hours of work, sometimes 3.

High precision work isn't done for $16 an hour, I can get that flipping burgers. But it's good for the community and got some miners going so there you are. At this point though now that we can run Titans on all those Jupiter/Neptune boards is it worth it?

Big problem with fixing stuff: By the time you get good at it the equipment is worthless. The exception seems to be Titans, a repair can turn a $0 pile of burned junk into a $700 cube. What's that worth?

Still think you would KILL (at least starting this time frame) on getting a BBB to work running cubes. Such a feat with Gen Tarkin version would KILL imho. I mean being able to run a Titan anything with ANY KNC controller EVER MADE from 2013 on with a port with Gen Tarkin's software for the BBB black you guys would frigging KILL imho....rev that baby up Smiley

Look at all the folk getting Neptune cubes that don't ROI for fun with old KNC Mercury/Saturn/Jupiter/Neptune re-flashed controllers...in an "INSANE" moment last week I got 1 cube for 45 bucks with shipping for my 'extra' Jupiter board just to play with...LUCKILY I found someone who wanted such a toy also and swap'd it out to him with some other stuff (whew!)....I mean really the extra Jupiter board was worth likely 100 bucks so 150 bucks so I can play with ONE frigging Neptune Cube because I never got a Neptune!!!....and yet more heat in basement for summer

man I got to get a grip Smiley

Start an ASIC Home Miner Anon....or some such....its fun to to this but hard to keep in mind that EVENTUALLY IT IS FUTILE....the ASIC gods and difficulty always win Sad

I mean with 10 cubes (1 with only 1 die working) do I really really need now 4 Titan controllers (with the extra Jupiter board and cube i swapped back ...yeah really now only 4 ) sheesh

Its like I'm an ASIC squirrel hoarding NUTS for winter (well actually I guess I am ..plan on being the last in the Midwest when the giant sucking sound of Titan equip flows to Texas (4c kwh) Oregon (3c kwh) and China (2c kwh) ..my summer rates 14c kwh ouch....and 10c kwh in OCT 2016...just got to make it to OCT baby.....I heated my house last winter with 3000 watts of Titans ...so the bet is with BTC  halving...and a pump I can string this 'addiction' out to end of next winter ..at the end swapping electricity/heat for coin equivalent..but then again that is what 'denial' if for .if not quite...but now 'doable'

But again would be a pretty good market imho for BBB fix to run 1 or 2 cubes for fun by a bunch of folk even if NO ROI ..just because of the toy factor and low cost of such a thing and the group out there that ALWAYS wanted a Titan but just could not swing such.

but anyway a lot of the talented folks on here (and OP) on this thread .well their  time is limited...don't listen to me I'm still in the clutches of 'home mining is dead" denial.....kicking and screaming into next year is my hope

(sad pitiful Searing....in 2013 as a newbie  drinking the kool aid from BFL and thus the addiction started)

as with all my posts consider the 'source' and take anything I say with a grain of salt.

But I really think a BBB would kill today if released...and a lot of these titans as they got closer to being 'bricks' would be 'parted out' easily for fun and profit..would be a hell of an option then trying to sell the whole works and probably a heck of a lot easier

anyway my view for what it is worth

BitcoinPappi
Legendary

Activity: 915
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 14, 2016, 08:24:15 PM

That's a bitch on wheels of a problem :-) So far though the only way into the chip is either with a crowbar or a blowtorch.

I understand, but I will still keep the faith for that troubled one.

Thanks for repairing that last cube it honestly now runs even better than when it was new from KNC.  Grin
He(the cube) has been reunited with his other bother and sister at last.
mc162BCT

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 16, 2016, 09:37:17 PM

Really enjoying your thread just wanted to see if you might be able to steer me toward a safe zone with regard to a neptune cube I've been running and do not totally trust.

http://imgur.com/a/bCITt

Are temperatures that high something i need to worry about?

I've never seen temperatures on any piece of gear run with these kinds of readings and forget about "stock" 475 mhz...That was crazy town
http://imgur.com/oKSeHuA

Would a an extra box fan be of any help?

Thanks for the time ;-)
lightfoot (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 16, 2016, 11:04:17 PM

Really enjoying your thread just wanted to see if you might be able to steer me toward a safe zone with regard to a neptune cube I've been running and do not totally trust.

Are temperatures that high something i need to worry about?

I've never seen temperatures on any piece of gear run with these kinds of readings and forget about "stock" 475 mhz...That was crazy town

Would a an extra box fan be of any help?

Thanks for the time ;-)
How good is your fire insurance policy?

Seriously, 125c is the breakdown point of the capacitors on the power supplies. 150c is the cut through temp for the FETs (the source of the heat). Temps on the board are read under the inductor (yes hot but not as hot as the FETs but it's kind of a heat sink).

When the caps break down or the FETs short and you have a big big power supply you will get to see fire shoot out of your miner until the supply crowbars. It's actually kind of cool to watch.

Also keep in mind that heat means waste, and you want less heat for more efficient hashing. So I would say cut the voltage down to -.06whatever and cut the frequencies down to levels where you get 60-70c on the supplies.

C
mc162BCT

Activity: 30

View Profile
April 16, 2016, 11:20:27 PM

Okay but how do I cut the voltages?

There's like 37 different toggle points at each die the 1st one should be lowered I'm assuming it defaults to -0366 so I should try a lower setting??

Next thing...About the frequency cutting it seems the more aggressive cutting of 100mhz or more from the 475mhz "stock" range Nearly always produces a dead die or multiple dead dies.

Perhaps this is just a bad cube and I should not bother with it?

Thanks again for the warning ;-)

lightfoot (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 17, 2016, 04:11:50 AM

Okay but how do I cut the voltages?

Try -.06 volts instead of -.03 volts. Then try 400mhz speeds. See what you get.

C
vlc

Activity: 11

View Profile
April 17, 2016, 02:49:31 PM

One of my Neptune cubes stopped working yesterday and so looking for a way to get it fixed.  I'm based in London, UK.
Basically when it is connected to my PSU, the PSU shuts down as soon as I try to power on.  So, I've disconnected that cube and the rest of my Miner is running at 80% capacity.
I can't see or smell anything obviously wrong with the dead cube but it flat doesn't accept any electricity properly.

Is there an easy way to get this fixed?
lightfoot (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 17, 2016, 06:07:46 PM

One of my Neptune cubes stopped working yesterday and so looking for a way to get it fixed.  I'm based in London, UK.
Basically when it is connected to my PSU, the PSU shuts down as soon as I try to power on.  So, I've disconnected that cube and the rest of my Miner is running at 80% capacity.
I can't see or smell anything obviously wrong with the dead cube but it flat doesn't accept any electricity properly.

Is there an easy way to get this fixed?
Neptune might not be worth the cost to fix at this point, but open it up, take off the heat sink, and look at the power supplies. Maybe one of them has exploded?

If not, what's a real basic way to do this? Bad cheap repairs. You could check each supply's output to see if it is shorted or 6-12 ohms. If shorted try ripping it off the board with a screwdriver if you don't have a very hot air gun. Actually you could just knock the two FETs off with a chisel or smal screwdriver and hammer, hitting from the side.

Oh yeah, that would be a way to do it on the cheap :-)

C
Fixx

Activity: 535
Merit: 501

EMC

View Profile
April 18, 2016, 07:32:34 AM

Hello!

It seems that the official support KnC no longer responding.

I had a following problem.
Miner does not answer! I can not go to its Web-page.
I set the image 2.0 Titain on the SD card instructions.
I tried set latest firmware, but to no avail.

Indicator write:

EmptySpace

When I connect the monitor, i see next:

Starting Factory setup: ERROR: No serialnumber found
ERROR: No eeprom found

What should I do?

Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Clueless!

View Profile
April 18, 2016, 07:54:31 AM
Last edit: April 18, 2016, 08:11:28 AM by Searing

Hello!

It seems that the official support KnC no longer responding.

I had a following problem.
Miner does not answer! I can not go to its Web-page.
I set the image 2.0 Titain on the SD card instructions.
I tried set latest firmware, but to no avail.

Indicator write:

EmptySpace

When I connect the monitor, i see next:

Starting Factory setup: ERROR: No serialnumber found

What should I do?

re-do the SD card again...use a new one is preferable. I use Sandisk 8gb Class 10's

you also can't just 'copy' the img to an SD card (you probably know this but just in case)

follow the instructions below

http://www.kncminer.com/support/titan-setup-and-firmware (again you probably know this but just in case)

check ribbons on the right way etc. you have proper PSU's (above say 750 watts) and the y adapters for such

If you have a spare Raspberry Pi B+ 512mb laying about you could swap that in..but I'd wait on that till others reply here

I'm just replying here for you as a 'place setter'  till the brighter folks on this stuff chime in

(ie moral support)

anyway that is all that comes to mind.....others with better skills then myself will chime in a few hours

also here is an 'archive' of the old support site on internet way back machine...maybe it will give you some clues....if nothing else interesting to poke around

http://web.archive.org/web/20141205190422/http://forum.kncminer.com/

again others on here will have better advice...all I can think of

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 »
  Print  

Jump to: