Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 02:09:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Gun free zone  (Read 21885 times)
foggyb
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1006

View Profile
December 15, 2012, 09:45:06 PM

That is just ignorant absolutism in response to the intelligent and rational comments by imanikin.

This is just retrospective criticism and brings nothing new to the argument.

Would you prefer preemptive criticism? I can make that happen.  Roll Eyes
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
yogi
Legendary

Activity: 947
Merit: 1042

Hamster ate my bitcoin

View Profile
December 15, 2012, 09:48:25 PM

That is just ignorant absolutism in response to the intelligent and rational comments by imanikin.

Did you want me to be preemptively critical?

No, I just want you to elaborate on your argument.

myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2012, 09:52:35 PM

And with the right printer (specifically, a laser sinter printer, using steel powder instead of plastic), and the design that they are working on right now, you can have a fully functional, reusable weapon in just a few hours, from the press of a button. Even with plastic, you can make a "gun to get a gun," a one-shot pistol intended to get you a better weapon from one of your attackers.

Even ignoring that, if you're not too concerned with personal safety, there are plenty of ways to make a bullet projection tube (wouldn't really call it a gun) out of household objects.

The knowledge is out there. The Genie is out of the bottle. You can't stuff it back in with words written on paper.

Bullets are already easily made at home. That's why they don't plan on addressing them.
Didn't know about the laser sinter printer tech.
I'm a little doubtful about the anyone can make bullets though: the ammo includes at least the bullet, casing and gun powder, that doesn't seem so simple to produce.
http://www.dillonprecision.com/
Home reloading is a popular hobby among gun enthusiasts.

But assuming all that is true or will be in the short future, why should it be legal to make weapons? A law isn't meant to say what isn't doable but what you are allowed to do for the well being of the community.
Does a gun, sitting on a table, or in a pocket, hurt anyone? You're not allowed to hurt people. Having a few pounds of steel, shaped into a particular form hurts no one.

You can already make bombs/grenades in your kitchen and kill tens of people with them. Should it be allowed (the making obviously)? By the way why is it that psychopaths nearly always choose guns and almost never bombs when they are out on a killing spree? A bomb is designed to kill many people at once, seems the obvious choice, especially if you are planning to die.
Bombs are used all the time by terrorists. Not so much by people who want to pick their targets. I'd point out that the Columbine kids did have a bomb. Thankfully it was a dud.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
gyverlb

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 15, 2012, 09:52:57 PM

Since it was surrounded on all sides by NATO countries, of course, France could afford to be out of NATO, and pretend that it could defend itself if the Soviet Union attacked it any better than when Germany did, for example.

Hum, French ICBMs were quite effective by themselves: this was cold war era with assured mutual destruction... Before the WW2 France didn't have anything of value in the military because the WW1 nightmare made people reject any kind of military solution between the 2 wars. Lessons were learned...

That's exactly what i mean: the US has been more than a hired gun for most of Europe directly, France indirectly, and others; it has provided free defense departments for them. Nothing wrong with mooching off American defense department, if American tax payers are willing...  Cheesy

I don't think the US isn't reaping enough economic advantages from its military interventions to make up for that. At least it's not easy to tell.

Anyhow, the point is: the average citizens of a nation that's willing to do that war after war, decade after decade, are not likely to favor or have a society in which there are really "gun-free zones" and  "guns almost never show up".
I disagree. We had wars after wars even before the US even existed, people never walked around with weapons in their village or city unless the front was nearby. I think the big difference in the US is the way the country was built. The conquest of the West and the American Revolutionary War maintained a long period were it was not only necessary for the military but for the civilians to bear arms too. There's a long history of internal conflict in the early stages of US' history that in my opinion anchored guns in the culture like no other country did (at least I don't see any other credible reason).

P2pool tuning guide
Trade BTC for €/$ at bitcoin.de (referral), it's cheaper and faster (acts as escrow and lets the buyers do bank transfers).
Tip: 17bdPfKXXvr7zETKRkPG14dEjfgBt5k2dd
Rudd-O

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2012, 09:55:45 PM
Last edit: December 15, 2012, 10:39:18 PM by Rudd-O

why should it be legal to make weapons?

Ohhh!  OK, let's "against me" this question real quick.

-------------------------

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you clearly don't believe in making weapons.  You don't want to make them, you don't see a use for a weapon in your hands, you feel like you do not need a weapon.

Well, this might be a shocker, but I actually fully support that preference of yours and I believe you should have the right to hold that preference.

Of course, supporting your preference means supporting you acting consistently with it.  It'd be irrational of me to say "Yeah, I support your belief, but you aren't allowed to act upon your belief", as irrational as saying "You can have any color Model T, as long as it's black", or "You may believe in any God you want, but you must pray to MY God, or else".

That means I wouldn't dream of using threats or physical violence -- caging, brutalizing, ruining, killing -- against you to force you to make guns, and I wouldn't support anyone using violence to force you to make guns either.

OK, are you still with me?  You are.  Good.  Great!

Now, I, on the other hand, believe that making a weapon is very practical and useful.  I believe that I can protect myself using weapons I made myself.  I like the idea and I'd like to make a weapon too.  That is my preference.

Do you afford me the same courtesy and consideration to me, my preference, and my desire to act upon it?  Do you respect me equally?  Do you reject the use of punishment (threats, violence) against me for acting consistent with my beliefs?

Or do you advocate violent punishment against me?

That is a serious yes/no question.  I expect your answer shortly.

-----------------------------

If everyone handled "X should be legal / illegal" discussions as outlined above, the sociopaths in society would be very quickly unmasked for what they are: blood-thirsty and violent people who want to punish anyone who thinks for himself.
foggyb
Legendary

View Profile
December 15, 2012, 10:03:49 PM

I like how he starts off by saying he's not going look at the situation through any kind of worldview, and then proceeds to denounce other worldviews like Christianity. No one is nuetral. Stefan should at least be honest about that.

While its great that he wants to change the way we raise children by ensuring they get what they need, WHAT IS IT THAT THEY NEED? Stefan Molyneux never answered that. He does not have the answer because he is burdened with the same human condition as the rest of us. We cannot escape, this is the world we live in.
foggyb
Legendary

View Profile
December 15, 2012, 10:12:40 PM

A predisposition to lethal violence is not something to be proud of, and the world does not need or want America to be its police force.

If you dismiss America's WWII struggle and sacrifice to defeat fascism as if they were criminals, your comments don't deserve any response. If you refer to the more recent administration, then you should be more specific.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2012, 10:20:57 PM

While its great that he wants to change the way we raise children by ensuring they get what they need, WHAT IS IT THAT THEY NEED? Stefan Molyneux never answered that.

If you can't answer that, telling you the answer may not help. I'll try anyway.

He says they are more "people" than you or I (this is exactly the same thing you said, by the way... that we've already been crushed, they have yet to be). This implies the answer, right there. Maybe you haven't guessed it yet, though.

They need to be treated like people. With respect, love, and kindness, the same as you would desire to be treated.

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
yogi
Legendary

Activity: 947
Merit: 1042

Hamster ate my bitcoin

View Profile
December 15, 2012, 10:24:34 PM

A predisposition to lethal violence is not something to be proud of, and the world does not need or want America to be its police force.

If you dismiss America's WWII struggle and sacrifice to defeat fascism as if they were criminals, your comments don't deserve any response. If you refer to the more recent administration, then you should be more specific.

As I stated above, I do not believe any country has ever entered into a conflict out of altruism.

Rudd-O

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2012, 10:29:56 PM

FYI: foggyb is on my ignore list for fogging and irrational behavior, so I can't read his nonsense.
gyverlb

View Profile
December 15, 2012, 10:33:45 PM

Does a gun, sitting on a table, or in a pocket, hurt anyone? You're not allowed to hurt people. Having a few pounds of steel, shaped into a particular form hurts no one.

I agree but I think it's an "enabler". One gun on a table isn't dangerous by itself. I think one million guns on one million tables begin to have consequences:
  • By making them widespread, you've established a dangerous mindset: this thing that under normal circumstances shouldn't be used becomes something to brag about (especially if it's more capable than another of killing people) and train yourself with without raising eyebrows even if you are a kid. Now a disturbed teenager has the opportunity to fool his family and train himself for a killing spree and becomes indistinguishable from another kid enjoying it like a sport. Allowing guns to be widespread make it easier for rampage killers to hide like wolves among the sheep.
  • There's the problem of education. It seems most gun bearers are responsible but with millions around many of them are bound to be morons (in fact we have our share of those: we allow guns for hunting purposes in France and we have around 20 fatalities each year because we didn't find a way to properly regulate this to make it safer, another cultural problem). Unfortunately last time I looked around, morons aren't disappearing fast enough due to Darwin Awards and some of them kill themselves or innocent bystanders when they are allowed to play with fire. There's no easy way to separate morons from intelligent, responsible people so making laws based on moronic behavior/predisposition is rarely possible to contain the damage.

Bombs are used all the time by terrorists. Not so much by people who want to pick their targets. I'd point out that the Columbine kids did have a bomb. Thankfully it was a dud.
Terrorists are another problem although arguably most of them could be considered psychopaths. Picking the target might be an explanation although it seems most of the time when the shooting starts anything moving becomes a target so why not use a bomb in the first place. Rampage killers might not all think that far though.

Another line of thought. Thinking about how rampage killers manage to fool others long enough to plan their massacres makes me think that you might help alleviate the problem by having more social interactions in the community. It's easy to fool a family and/or close friends but if people interacted regularly with numerous other people on a regular basis they might not hide themselves as well. I see this as being a problem of modern society. It's not easy to keep the equivalent of the extended family that was a village or a small city where everybody knew everybody generations ago. This old model had the advantage of making it easier to integrate everyone (often at the cost of excluding strangers) avoiding the premises of the development of a sociopath and if somebody exhibited abnormal behavior it was easier to spot and address. I suppose we could try to reorganize our modern societies to make local communities more active even in big cities but people moving around a lot don't make it easy.

P2pool tuning guide
Trade BTC for €/$ at bitcoin.de (referral), it's cheaper and faster (acts as escrow and lets the buyers do bank transfers).
myrkul

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2012, 10:58:48 PM

I agree but I think it's an "enabler". One gun on a table isn't dangerous by itself. I think one million guns on one million tables begin to have consequences:
  • By making them widespread, you've established a dangerous mindset: this thing that under normal circumstances shouldn't be used becomes something to brag about (especially if it's more capable than another of killing people) and train yourself with without raising eyebrows even if you are a kid. Now a disturbed teenager has the opportunity to fool his family and train himself for a killing spree and becomes indistinguishable from another kid enjoying it like a sport. Allowing guns to be widespread make it easier for rampage killers to hide like wolves among the sheep.
  • There's the problem of education. It seems most gun bearers are responsible but with millions around many of them are bound to be morons (in fact we have our share of those: we allow guns for hunting purposes in France and we have around 20 fatalities each year because we didn't find a way to properly regulate this to make it safer, another cultural problem). Unfortunately last time I looked around, morons aren't disappearing fast enough due to Darwin Awards and some of them kill themselves or innocent bystanders when they are allowed to play with fire. There's no easy way to separate morons from intelligent, responsible people so making laws based on moronic behavior/predisposition is rarely possible to contain the damage.
Ok, so to your first item, you're letting the fear of one or two outliers color your policy toward the rest of the population? I suppose if you find one grape on a bunch that didn't fully develop or has gone sour, you throw out the whole bunch, then? If 1% of the population, given a gun, would go on a rampage, why would you take the guns from the other 99%, given that there is no practical way to keep that 1% from getting a gun, if they really want it?
As to the second point, you have 20 hunting deaths per year? Dude, in the US, more people than that die every year because the earth said to them, NO U!
Lightning 50
Earthquake and other earth movements 35
Cataclysmic storm 49

Shit, there are 40,000 (forty thousand!!!) Toilet-related injuries (I couldn't find, for some reason, stats on deaths) every year. Surely you don't advocate the TSA?

Another line of thought. Thinking about how rampage killers manage to fool others long enough to plan their massacres makes me think that you might help alleviate the problem by having more social interactions in the community. It's easy to fool a family and/or close friends but if people interacted regularly with numerous other people on a regular basis they might not hide themselves as well.
All the interviews say that the guy was always "messed up," or "scary." They know there's a problem. They ignore it, or try to medicate it away. Clearly that's working great. Roll Eyes

Ohhh!  OK, let's "against me" this question real quick.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you clearly don't believe in making weapons.  You don't want to make them, you don't see a use for a weapon in your hands, you feel like you do not need a weapon.

Well, this might be a shocker, but I actually fully support that preference of yours and I believe you should have the right to hold that preference.

Of course, supporting your preference means supporting you acting consistently with it.  It'd be irrational of me to say "Yeah, I support your belief, but you aren't allowed to act upon your belief", as irrational as saying "You can have any color Model T, as long as it's black", or "You may believe in any God you want, but you must pray to MY God, or else".

That means I wouldn't dream of using threats or physical violence -- caging, brutalizing, ruining, killing -- against you to force you to make guns, and I wouldn't support anyone using violence to force you to make guns either.

OK, are you still with me?  You are.  Good.  Great!

Now, I, on the other hand, believe that making a weapon is very practical and useful.  I believe that I can protect myself using weapons I made myself.  I like the idea and I'd like to make a weapon too.  That is my preference.

Do you afford me the same courtesy and consideration to me, my preference, and my desire to act upon it?  Do you respect me equally?  Do you reject the use of punishment (threats, violence) against me for acting consistent with my beliefs?

That is a serious yes/no question.  I expect your answer shortly.

I'd like to second this question.

Rudd-O

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2012, 10:59:19 PM

Have you all noticed how political conversations sound a lot like "pros and cons of X"?  On the surface, all these conversations pose as exchanges between people of the form "<conclusion>, because <premises>".

Ahhh... If only that was true.

The reality is that "X is true", "X is false", "the pros and cons of X", all of that, is merely filler; "X" (the putative object of the conversation) is only a thick smokescreen to hide the unstated reality of the conversation.

In any political conversation, the issue is never about who's right about X.  It's about who gets punished for believing X and acting upon said belief.  Two or more groups vying to impose their beliefs on others, with the "winning" group exercising violence against the "losers" who resist.  The "reasons" often given to "persuade" the losers matter not, because the ultimate goal of the conversation is really "or else".  It doesn't matter how right you are, when someone is holding a gun to your temple.

Now you know why tempers flare hot whenever a political conversation happens.  Now you know why exchanging facts in a political conversation rarely, if ever, causes people to change their positions.  Now you know why you hate political conversations.  Now you know why political conversations accomplish absolutely nothing, other than endorsement of the malevolent dogma that using organized violence to get one's way is acceptable.

Want to defuse a political conversation?  Stop falling for the "pros and cons" nonsense.  Start pointing out the gun in the room.
Chief Satangkai

Activity: 54

View Profile
December 15, 2012, 11:04:09 PM

Quote from: gyverlb
I disagree. We had wars after wars even before the US even existed, people never walked around with weapons in their village or city unless the front was nearby. I think the big difference in the US is the way the country was built. The conquest of the West and the American Revolutionary War maintained a long period were it was not only necessary for the military but for the civilians to bear arms too. There's a long history of internal conflict in the early stages of US' history that in my opinion anchored guns in the culture like no other country did (at least I don't see any other credible reason).

D'accord!
gyverlb

View Profile
December 15, 2012, 11:17:03 PM

Ohhh!  OK, let's "against me" this question real quick.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you clearly don't believe in making weapons.
Hum, I wouldn't make them myself but I don't think that's your point.

To be clear I support the idea of making weapons even if they are able to kill human beings. What I want is an equilibrium between the dangers facing individuals and their right to bear arms so that the defensive purposes of weapons in the hands of people aren't outweighed by their offensive purposes. I want my chances of survival being the best and I'm willing to make compromises for that. This is after all, what a social contract is: when you agree to be part of a community you agree to a set of rules involving partial loss of liberties to gain various forms of security (food, physical protection, benefit from people knowing how to do make/do some things you don't/...). Unfortunately you don't usually choose your community but usually the trade-offs you make are better than being an outlaw and fend for yourself alone.

The best trade-off on gun control is a moving target because it depends on the behavior and the particular circumstances of the community you are part of. This is why I'm open to the right to bear arms in principle. If you can't rely on your community to protect you to the point that giving everyone the right to defend themselves with some kinds of weapon is more effective, I'm OK with people bearing arms until the community becomes safe enough (and if I live in such a community I'll probably arm myself accordingly).

So in an idealistic world, civilians wouldn't have the right to carry guns around because it would make less safe to do so. In our realistic world, where I live it makes no sense for me to carry a gun (and thus allowing others to do so too). Circumstances for other people could make it different. For example from what I understand of the Wild West, carrying guns was mandatory at least in some places and times. I'm just surprised it's still considered a good trade-off today in the US.

You don't want to make them, you don't see a use for a weapon in your hands, you feel like you do not need a weapon.

Of course, supporting your preference means supporting you acting consistently with it.  It'd be irrational of me to say "Yeah, I support your belief, but you aren't allowed to act upon your belief"

I don't agree. If we both were in an hostile environment and counting on each other to defend ourselves you would be in your right to ask me to bear arms to help both of us survive or leave me alone to fend for myself.

, as irrational as saying "You can have any color Model T, as long as it's black", or "You may believe in any God you want, but you must pray to MY God, or else".

hat means I wouldn't dream of using threats or physical violence -- caging, brutalizing, ruining, killing -- against you to force you to make guns, and I wouldn't support anyone using violence to force you to make guns either.

In my example using violence would be over the top (and counter productive for your own safety). But you would be in your right to ask for compensation later for refusing to help you defend your life when it would have had no negative impact on myself.

OK, are you still with me?  You are.  Good.  Great!
Not so good as you can read, but I know this kind of argument...

Now, I, on the other hand, believe that making a weapon is very practical and useful.  I believe that I can protect myself using weapons I made myself.  I like the idea and I'd like to make a weapon too.  That is my preference.

Do you afford me the same courtesy and consideration to me, my preference, and my desire to act upon it?  Do you respect me equally?  Do you reject the use of punishment (threats, violence) against me for acting consistent with my beliefs?

That is a serious yes/no question.  I expect your answer shortly.
The answer is simple: if we are part of the same community and we decided as a community that we forbid making weapons and you are still willing to be part of the same community, you must abide by its rules or suffer the consequences (violent or not).
If you don't want to be part of our community, that's fine, but you can't expect any protection from us anymore and have to fend for yourself. If you are in our territories and violate our laws you'll have to live as an outlaw or escape us by exiting our territories. If your actions were serious enough according to our laws we reserve the right to pursue you even if you take refuge in another community. If this new community wants to defend you against our claim we move to inter-community relations. Diplomacy or war will resolve the dispute.

Now if we aren't part of the same community you can do whatever you want as long as you do it out of the borders of my community and don't attack it from abroad.

If everyone handled "X should be legal / illegal" discussions as outlined above, the sociopaths in society would be very quickly unmasked for what they are: blood-thirsty and violent people who want to punish anyone who thinks for himself.
Unfortunately by that reasoning you deny the very existence of communities which agree on a set of rules so that individuals gain more than what they lose by following the rules. Thinking should always be allowed, expressing your ideas too but acting on ideas that violate rules established by your own community (particularly if it's to gain an advantage over the other members without giving anything back) is obviously not OK.

P2pool tuning guide
kentrolla

Activity: 1554
Merit: 565

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2012, 11:22:31 PM

i think everyone should be required to carry a gun at all times. that way criminals will be on the same playing field as everyone else.

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 ElonCoin.org 
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"
▬▬▬▬▬
Rudd-O

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2012, 11:27:05 PM
Last edit: December 16, 2012, 12:01:16 AM by Rudd-O

Edited to remove me asking the question again, because the question was indeed answered, which I noticed on a second closer reading of gyverlb's post.

I love when my comments get confirmed minutes after I've made them.

Here we go.

The answer is simple: if we are part of the same community and we decided as a community that we forbid making weapons and you are still willing to be part of the same community, you must abide by its rules or suffer the consequences (violent or not).

Ah.

So gyverlb stated, quite openly, that he supports me being violently punished, if "his community" (whatever that is) decides to order me not to make weapons, and I (in accordance with my beliefs) make a weapon anyway.

gyverlb supports violence against me.  And quite a few of you.

That was all you and I needed to know that this person is my enemy (and your enemy too) who wants me and others dead, brutalized, caged, or ruined for acting in accordance with our beliefs.

---------------------------

You now bore witness to conclusive proof that this whole conversation, allegedly about "pros and cons of guns", is actually about the or else threat, which gyverlb quite openly wielded here -- "If I get my way, you will be violently punished, and I will support that".  Straight from the horse's mouth, doesn't get any clearer than that.

This goes exactly to what Stef said a few days ago -- "How many people recoil in horror when they realize that they participate in evil, and how many do they stare at you, smiling wryly, licking the blood off their fingers?"

Remember how I said political conversations are mostly about using filler to hide the or else substance?  Yeah, I think I called it, only a few minutes ago.  Well, gyverlb just proved my point.  The rest in his very lengthy wall-of-text reply was but mealy-mouthed rationalizations.  Excuses to make his already-made decision (to use / support violence against me and others) sound less evil than it really is. the standard "bitch was asking for it" / "you didn't pay your protection money" / "we gave you an order" boilerplate that malevolent people tack onto their evil choices, to later say that their aggression against you was "your own damn fault".  Excuses as old as the roads themselves.

--------------------------------

Needless to say, gyverlb is now on my ignore list.  I prefer not to read what sociopaths write in my spare time.  I suggest you all do the same, but I guarantee you I won't use violence against you if you don't.
gyverlb

View Profile
December 15, 2012, 11:31:30 PM

Ok, so to your first item, you're letting the fear of one or two outliers color your policy toward the rest of the population?

Why not if it's a good trade-off for the whole population?

I suppose if you find one grape on a bunch that didn't fully develop or has gone sour, you throw out the whole bunch, then?

That's not relevant to the subject: you can easily remove one sour grape. If you could easily spot would be rampage-killers, why isn't it done?

If 1% of the population, given a gun, would go on a rampage, why would you take the guns from the other 99%, given that there is no practical way to keep that 1% from getting a gun, if they really want it?

Because the behavior of these 1% now becomes indistinguishable from law-abiding citizens when everyone has guns. This is a common problem when you try to protect a population. For example when our government decided to go after file-sharing, yours (assuming you are from the US) complained that it would encourage common citizens to use encryption for communication and prevent your anti-terrorist services to focus their efforts on a small population to find terrorists.

As to the second point, you have 20 hunting deaths per year?

As I said we didn't find any way to make it more safe and the problem isn't large enough for us to ban hunting so nothing is done. I didn't complain: it was just an illustration that there are quite a few morons around (only a very small part of the population actually hunts with guns so these only 20 deaths demonstrate my point).

P2pool tuning guide
gyverlb

View Profile
December 15, 2012, 11:36:29 PM
Last edit: December 15, 2012, 11:55:18 PM by gyverlb

[long-ass comment that didn't actually answer my question]

I don't want to read a huge wall of text that doesn't actually answer my question.  Answer yes or no, please.  Thanks.

So you ask a question of several paragraphs including several steps in an argument and I'm not allowed to say that some of your reasoning is not completely valid leading to a false yes/no question?

Do you really want to insult the intelligence of every reader of this thread like that?

Edit: for people that don't spot this easily this is a common fallacy called a "loaded question", by answering yes or no to the question asked by Rudd-O I would be forced to agree to the whole argument leading to the question even if I disagree with it. If Rudd-O persists to use such tactics, I'll ignore further posts.

P2pool tuning guide
myrkul

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2012, 12:00:24 AM

Ok, so to your first item, you're letting the fear of one or two outliers color your policy toward the rest of the population?

Why not if it's a good trade-off for the whole population?
Well, it's clearly not, is it? The other 99% keep getting slaughtered by those outliers. You'll note, always in locations where guns are not allowed. Except when they don't.

I suppose if you find one grape on a bunch that didn't fully develop or has gone sour, you throw out the whole bunch, then?

That's not relevant to the subject: you can easily remove one sour grape. If you could easily spot would be rampage-killers, why isn't it done?
Now, that, mon ami, is a good question. Because very often, these people show clear signs long before anything actually happens.

If 1% of the population, given a gun, would go on a rampage, why would you take the guns from the other 99%, given that there is no practical way to keep that 1% from getting a gun, if they really want it?

Because the behavior of these 1% now becomes indistinguishable from law-abiding citizens when everyone has guns. This is a common problem when you try to protect control a population. For example when our government decided to go after file-sharing, yours (assuming you are from the US) complained that it would encourage common citizens to use encryption for communication and prevent your anti-terrorist services to focus their efforts on a small population to find terrorists.
Fixed that for ya.
By removing the means to defend themselves from those outliers, not only do you lay them bare to their aggression, but you also lay them bare to external threats, and the oppression of a dictator. There's a reason this organization exists.

As to the second point, you have 20 hunting deaths per year?

As I said we didn't find any way to make it more safe and the problem isn't large enough for us to ban hunting so nothing is done. I didn't complain: it was just an illustration that there are quite a few morons around (only a very small part of the population actually hunts with guns so these only 20 deaths demonstrate my point).
Yes, well, drop in a bucket, and I'm not exactly distressed over the idiots weeding themselves out.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 »
  Print  

Jump to: