Bitcoin Forum
June 30, 2024, 09:41:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Foundation: Where on Earth Did all the Money Go?  (Read 15380 times)
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
January 05, 2016, 10:01:57 AM

http://web.archive.org/web/20071109010915/http://fleetwoodvideo.com/contact.html

I guess on Fantasy Island, if Marshall Long can say that he was mining bitcoins in 2009, I guess Bruce Fenton can accept them in 2007 as payment for military grade cameras. Follow the link above if you don't believe the image. I sure the hell would if presented with such. Afterwards, mail me your explanations to an address I lived at in 1978 so I can get up to speed.

https://www.wealthminder.com/financial-advisors/advisory-firms/af-asset-management/23004?pageNum=1

http://www.spoke.com/companies/atlantic-financial-3e122f809e597c100340cbfd

http://posts.same.org/JEETCE2007/presentations/3.1Golden.pdf

In re. the three links above, is the USAF somehow connected with Bitcoin?

As some stage they had a pilot program where they where exploring

Bitcoin payment gateways the story was dated around 2013 i think

So that my satire in the post doesn't freak out Bruce, it's most likely an unexplained glitched of sorts, to be far.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4270
Merit: 4536

View Profile
January 05, 2016, 10:15:37 AM

bruno i know we all love the satire and comedy personality of 'gleb' when it comes to pointing out inconsistancies of the past and scams, etc.

but can you put your phineas gage hat on and answer this

Gleb, if you had been handed the title of CEO, Exec director, chairman .. whatever glorified name badge gives you the control to do what you want.. how would you set out to do something for the future of an organization thats purpose is to help the bitcoin community.. totally ignoring the past

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
BruceFenton (OP)

Activity: 404
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2016, 03:21:37 PM

So that my satire in the post doesn't freak out Bruce, it's most likely an unexplained glitched of sorts, to be far.

You are talking gibberish again.  You seem to be just searching for my name and posting random nonsense.

No earthly idea what the screenshot and cryptic text posted with it means, because you don't say.

No idea what you are accusing Harper of.

In this entire time wasting endeavor I don't see a single actual specific issue listed with something I've done that you have an issue with.
tomothy

Activity: 258

View Profile
January 05, 2016, 07:11:18 PM
Last edit: January 05, 2016, 07:45:43 PM by tomothy

Hi Bruce,

I've read through this thread and appreciate the time you've spent trying to answer various questions in a civil manner. Overall I'm having difficulty recognizing why anyone would want to contribute to TBF. It seems that wall street has decided to join R3 and in order for TBF to survive, you need participation of large institutions. What is being done to court these participants? Is this something that has been considered?

You mentioned that their are certain debts the foundation is currently obligated to repay which are not necessarily included in the approximate remaining coffers of ~$330k. Do you have a ball park of what those costs are and/or what a monthly break down looks like? It seems like you've done the unpleasant task of streamlining the foundation to be able to survive in this current environment but the stark reality is that such actions could still be insufficient. It's clear that the price drop from $800 was disastrous. To that extent, have bitcoins been converted to USD or are they continuing to be held in electronic format. Do you have hedges in place to protect the remaining assets?

My understanding of the current TBF goals, as enumerated in your mission statement, are:

1) Fostering Core Development
2) Furthering education & adoption
3) Working to limit harmful regulations and encourage technical rather than regulatory solutions

You mention that "The foundation Chief Scientist is Gavin Andresen." I'm assuming that this is no longer a salary position and he is compensated via MIT? Is that a correct understanding. Assuming that is the case, one of the biggest current divisive factors in bitcoin is the block size debate. Do the values and interests of TBF align with 'Bitcoin Core' given the fact that your chief scientist is Gavin Andersen? I applaud the goal of helping encourage technical consensus but have difficulty seeing how this will happen.  It seems like lines have been drawn in the sand and you are either with or against certain interests. How can bitcoin succeed without destroying itself? Is Devcore something that should even be continued in light of the other various conferences and their success or lackof?

Thanks for your time and I look forward to your responses. It's tough to be a bitcoiner right now especially looking at Nasdaq's usage of private blockchain's to conduct private asset sales. What happened to bitcoin.

(Edit: Necessary edit to include unfounded slurs and allegations about liars and thieves and how bitcoin is ponzi, Is psost o.k now spelng errers tooo?)
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
January 05, 2016, 07:22:18 PM

You are talking gibberish again.  You seem to be just searching for my name and posting random nonsense.

No earthly idea what the screenshot and cryptic text posted with it means, because you don't say.

No idea what you are accusing Harper of.

In this entire time wasting endeavor I don't see a single actual specific issue listed with something I've done that you have an issue with.

Is this your first post after your morning coffee?
RoadStress
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007

View Profile
January 05, 2016, 07:26:05 PM

6 pages and no reply to what I thought to be a decent curiosity? Well done Bitcoinpro and Gleb Gamow!

Well done to you BruceFenton too! Excellent PR for this forum Smiley

Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
January 05, 2016, 07:27:55 PM

Hi Bruce,

I've read through this thread and appreciate the time you've spent trying to answer various questions in a civil manner. Overall I'm having difficulty recognizing why anyone would want to contribute to TBF. It seems that wall street has decided to join R3 and in order for TBF to survive, you need participation of large institutions. What is being done to court these participants? Is this something that has been considered?

You mentioned that their are certain debts the foundation is currently obligated to repay which are not necessarily included in the approximate remaining coffers of ~$330k. Do you have a ball park of what those costs are and/or what a monthly break down looks like? It seems like you've done the unpleasant task of streamlining the foundation to be able to survive in this current environment but the stark reality is that such actions could still be insufficient. It's clear that the price drop from $800 was disastrous. To that extent, have bitcoins been converted to USD or are they continuing to be held in electronic format. Do you have hedges in place to protect the remaining assets?

My understanding of the current TBF goals, as enumerated in your mission statement, are:

3) Working to limit harmful regulations and encourage technical rather than regulatory solutions

You mention that "The foundation Chief Scientist is Gavin Andresen." I'm assuming that this is no longer a salary position and he is compensated via MIT? Is that a correct understanding. Assuming that is the case, one of the biggest current divisive factors in bitcoin is the block size debate. Do the values and interests of TBF align with 'Bitcoin Core' given the fact that your chief scientist is Gavin Andersen? I applaud the goal of helping encourage technical consensus but have difficulty seeing how this will happen.  It seems like lines have been drawn in the sand and you are either with or against certain interests. How can bitcoin succeed without destroying itself? Is Devcore something that should even be continued in light of the other various conferences and their success or lackof?

Thanks for your time and I look forward to your responses. It's tough to be a bitcoiner right now especially looking at Nasdaq's usage of private blockchain's to conduct private asset sales. What happened to bitcoin.

I quit reading at the last highlighted text so to relay to the community that finally a trustworthy Bitcoiner has join this thread.

THIS POST IS SATIRE!
tomothy

Activity: 258

View Profile
January 05, 2016, 07:46:21 PM

THIS POST IS SATIRE!

+1
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
January 05, 2016, 08:02:04 PM

To be fair with you, bud, I did read the rest of your post and found most your questions to stem from a sound mind oppose to what I spew because I'm mentally unnnnnnstable special.  Wink
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1116

View Profile
January 05, 2016, 08:42:09 PM

As I've mentioned, ThePolicyCounsil.com was never a working website (was even for sale in 2014, as I've depicted) nor can I find incorp docs of ThePolicyCounsil.com INC which was paid the aforementioned amount.

Again, no idea what you are accusing.

Is the accusation that Jim didn't have a website?  That he was paid as reported?  Do you think he was paid differently than what was reported?  What?  I said I'm glad to seek justice for any illegal act....but I don't even see what you are accusing.

Try the format:

I accuse _____ of _____ (crime/ bad act) based on ______ evidence."   This might encourage some basic critical thinking.

I accuse you and Brock Pierce of mincing about with the dead body of The Bitcoin Foundation a la Weekend at Bernie's. There, I said it.

Oh, fuck! Dude played the Weekend at Bernie's Card. Now you got Bruce reevaluating his card holdings in hope of trumping your unexpected play. This could get interesting.

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
BruceFenton (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2016, 09:11:01 PM

Hi Bruce,

You mention that "The foundation Chief Scientist is Gavin Andresen." I'm assuming that this is no longer a salary position and he is compensated via MIT? Is that a correct understanding. Assuming that is the case, one of the biggest current divisive factors in bitcoin is the block size debate. Do the values and interests of TBF align with 'Bitcoin Core' given the fact that your chief scientist is Gavin Andersen? I applaud the goal of helping encourage technical consensus but have difficulty seeing how this will happen.  It seems like lines have been drawn in the sand and you are either with or against certain interests. How can bitcoin succeed without destroying itself? Is Devcore something that should even be continued in light of the other various conferences and their success or lackof?

(Edit: Necessary edit to include unfounded slurs and allegations about liars and thieves and how bitcoin is ponzi, Is psost o.k now spelng errers tooo?)

Well there really isn't any money left.  When I came aboard there was less than $70k and still plenty of outstanding obligations on the books.

Yes, that mission is the main priority.

Gavin no longer receives a salary from the Bitcoin Foundation.

We've tried to remain neutral on the block size debate in an effort to represent all members -- for example I worked very hard to get Greg Maxwell to speak at DevCore so that there would be a mix of opinions on blocksize.

I think DevCore is a great conference.
bArAPIc74b

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 05, 2016, 09:42:05 PM

I admit that I’ve always been a little skeptical of Bruce Fenton's work history claims.  Different firms with limited web presence and no specific deals listed anywhere.  Poorly crafted main website that also doesn't list any employees or specific deals done:  http://www.atlanticfinancial.com/

So I did a little more digging, it does seem at a minimum that there is some puffery in his bio and some misstatements in some comments he made as part of his running for Director of the Foundation.  I’ll go through my research in the order it occurred, as some of the conclusions evolved through the process, and am trying to be neutral.  Also, I note that all the info linked is either information Bruce has published, or is publically available info by virtue of his business activities.

First, take a look at his linkedin page:  https://www.linkedin.com/in/brucefenton  Give it a read, looks pretty impressive.

And then go to this link which shows the form ADV for his current firm, Atlantic Financial.  On the left, there is link for "view all in PDF."  http://www.adviserinfo.sec.gov/iapd/content/viewform/adv/Sections/iapd_AdvRegulatorStatusSection.aspx?ORG_PK=159167&RGLTR_PK=50030&STATE_CD=MA&FLNG_PK=00AFF2940008017C01A413100562A635056C8CC0

So let us start at Item 5 - employees.  He has only one listed, himself.  This seems a bit at odds with his claim on linkedin that "Atlantic Financial is a full service investment and wealth management company founded in 1994 and was the first full service investment firm on the Internet."

Now lets go to 5.D.  5.D.1. shows his client allocation by % of clients.  But then in 5.D.2 it shows "approximate amount of your regulatory assets under management (reported in Item 5.F. below) attributable to each of the following type of client."  Bruce checks "None" for every single category.

Now on 5.G, type of services he provides, he checked the box for "financial planning services" and "portfolio management."  So maybe the reason for the "none" above is that his business is more about "financial planning services" than "portfolio management."  But, it appears no, as 5.H says he provided planning services to 0 clients in the past year.

Note that his linkedin says he:  "- personally placed or sourced over $5 billion in investments during career" and "- created and managed $500 million in-house investment services group for 100 year old law firm.”

Now let’s look at Item 6, "Other Business Activities."  He lists none.  But his linkedin page notes that he is also a managing director of Boston Gulf Advisors.  Incidentally, the facebook page for Boston Gulf Advisors is here:  https://www.facebook.com/BostonGulfAdvisorsGroup/  It lists the company website as http://bostongulfconsulting.com/  When I click that link, I get "Error establishing a database connection."

There is more we could do here, but lets take a detour.  Go back to the main page and look on the left for "Brochures."  Click ADV Form 2B.  Scroll down to "Education."  Yes, he lists a BA from Bentley University, as with linkedin.  But unlike on linkedin, here he lists a graduation date of 2006, well after his first financial job as a VP at Morgan Stanley in 1992.  So not on outright misstatement, but a little obfuscation.  And, if he had been in the investment banking group at Morgan Stanley, there is no way he would get hired without a college degree and make VP in two years.  But the investment advisor group could be different.

Next, look at "Business Background."  His Atlantic Financial experience here begins 9/2011, versus linkedin where his experience for that firm is: "December 1994 – Present (21 years 2 months)".

He also doesn't list Morgan Stanley, Boston Gulf, or any other experience from his linkedin page.  But he does list "03/1998 – 09/2011 Registered Representative Cantella & Co. Inc."

Now, my first reaction was that this was a pretty huge lie, but on digging around more on Cantella and Bruce Fenton and from what I know of the financial advisor / broker dealer space, it seems like it is possible that while technically being a registered rep at Cantella, he could still market himself as Atlantic Financial.  For example, see this link:  http://209.132.84.78/investing/fidelity-advisor-worst-days-followed-by-gains.pdf

Although looking at his Finra history, Cantella is expressly listed as his employer:  http://brokercheck.finra.org/Report/Download/40521359 (if direct link does not work, enter 2286983 in the spot where it asks for name or CRD number.)  And, again to try and be balanced, it also shows he was previously registered at Dean Witter Reynolds around the same time as his Linkedin profile claims he was a VP at Morgan Stanley.  Dean Witter was a retail brokerage that merged with Morgan Stanley, a more prestigious and international full service investment bank.  But that merger occurred well after Bruce was there, in 1997.  So more puffery in trying to use what I view as a more prestigious name.  Also, it is still odd the dates don’t match exactly, and that he is listed as having been registered with two other firms that appear nowhere on his linkedin bio.

This is why I say there is definitely some puffery in his bio.  In my mind, there is a big difference in being a financial advisor “representative” affiliated with various firms over the years, going from being a young VP at Morgan Stanley to founding a global “full service investment and wealth management company founded in 1994 [that] was the first full service investment firm on the Internet.”

It also raises the question of why he left Cantella relationship.  And it now appears that the reason for the form ADV listing zero amounts is that he must have left that relationship, to finally create his own advisory firm that needed to be individually registered.  Those amounts may be zero because he was unable to bring clients over, or was not able to until he got registered.

Interstingly, that same Finra link lists several "Disclosure Events", all of which seem to be in the category of: "Financial".  If you go to the full report, they appear to involve 3 instances of renegotiating debt with credit card companies.  In the most recent, he managed to settle an amount due of $35,000 to Citibank for $6,100 in June of 2011.  Interestingly, that is around the time he left Cantella (September 2011.) 

Note that in his Reddit election AMA (https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2qqsnh/hi_reddit_rbitcoin_im_bruce_fenton_running_for/cn8s80f) he noted:  "the only disclosable event on my FINRA U4 license is that I renegotiated about $20k in credit card debt in around 2006 I believe -- I actually dont think this was required to be disclosed as a material financial event but my compliance officer at the time encouraged me to do so to be sure."  And the other two events that were listed on the Finra form were both in 2010.  So he was off on the amount, the date, and the number of disclosures.

So the Reddit comment is an outright lie, and it does make you wonder why a successful money manager needed to renegotiate credit card debt in the two years before he left his employer of more than 12 years.

And to give him credit, that same report mentions in "Other Business Activities" his involvement with FDVT, advising private industry and governments on various things, and that he is a consultant for Bain Capital for activities related to the Middle East, where he is compensated on a flat fee basis.  But we still have no proof that he "placed or sourced" $5 billion of investments over his career.

So that is the current summary.  I’ve tried to be neutral, and am open to any response from Bruce or others on this booard.  But I have to also say that at a minimum, the puffery and misstatements in his background, as well as his combative attitude on this board, don’t make me that optimistic that the Bitcoin Foundation is in much better hands.
Fatman3001
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1013

Make Bitcoin glow with ENIAC

View Profile
January 05, 2016, 09:44:15 PM
Last edit: January 05, 2016, 09:55:16 PM by Fatman3001

Hi Bruce,

Well there really isn't any money left.  When I came aboard there was less than $70k and still plenty of outstanding obligations on the books.

Yes, that mission is the main priority.

Gavin no longer receives a salary from the Bitcoin Foundation.

We've tried to remain neutral on the block size debate in an effort to represent all members -- for example I worked very hard to get Greg Maxwell to speak at DevCore so that there would be a mix of opinions on blocksize.

I think DevCore is a great conference.

I don't think the part of tomothy's question in bold is answered properly.

So, part of your mission is "Fostering Core Development", but you won't outright support Core on their approach for the block size debate? How can this be?

Do you plan to support the other teams like XT or BU then?

And "Gavin no longer receives a salary from the Bitcoin Foundation"... what does that mean? Is he no longer chief scientist?

To put it another way: If someone supports The Bitcoin Foundation in any way, what are they supporting?

Best Regards

Oh, and thanks to tomothy for bringing something meaningful into this.

"I predict the Internet will soon go spectacularly supernova and in 1996 catastrophically collapse." - Robert Metcalfe, 1995
Fatman3001
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1013

Make Bitcoin glow with ENIAC

View Profile
January 05, 2016, 09:52:02 PM

To put it in a very different way:

Warning: TROLL POST

This is to all you GTA 3 fans out there!!!

Lazlow: "Let's go over here to line 4, hello caller, what's your name?"
Jeff: "Jeff from Rockford."
Lazlow: "Hello Jeff, what's up?"
Jeff: "I want to tell you and your listeners about a once-in-a-lifetime
      chance to make a difference. There's a rally tomorrow evening at
      the park. Starting at 7. Although we'll be painting banners and
      singing songs and all day to prepare for it. Then, when tens-of-
      thousands have gathered in the park, we're gonna march onto Town
      Hall. Lazlow, the people have spoken! And they have said 'no, not
      in my town!' So folks, if you're listening, and want to make a
      difference, get yourself down to the park, and prepare to bring
      democracy back to the people."
Lazlow: "So...what's this rally about, Jeff?"
Jeff: "It's about people standing up and being counted. It's about the
      future. It's about telling those morons in the suits 'no thanks!
      Not in my town! Not while I have a breath in my body and hope in
      my soul! I will not, I cannot let this pass!'"
Lazlow: "Let what pass?"
Jeff: "It's about grabbing the town by the balls and saying 'listen son,
      either put-up, or shut up! No more Mr. Nice-guy. No more easy
      solutions for difficult problems!' It's about what it means to be
      an American. It's about giving something back."
Lazlow: "Giving what back, Jeff?"
Jeff: "Hope! Dreams! Belief!"
Lazlow: "Belief in what, I mean, look Jeff, I..I admire your passion,
        really I do, but...what will people be marching for? Wh..what's
        your rally about!?"
Jeff: "It's about justice, Mr. Low! A chance to shine and make a   
      difference! About thousands of people walking side-by-side as
      brother marchers. Only one thing on their minds - the chance to
      make a difference! Bring your friends! Nothing shows a man how
      much you mean to him more than the chance to walk together for
      justice! Bring your kids! They can paint signs, and we'll even
      have a face-painter, and a vegen bar-be-que. Bring your parents,
      dude, even the elderly care about tomorrow!"
Lazlow: "I understand that, it sounds like a great rally, but w..we're
        not a political station and you haven't really told us why
        people should do this...what is it about?!?"
Jeff: "Look..look, do you wanna help or not??"
Lazlow: "I don't know what I'm helping!"
Jeff: "You're helping America! What kind of patriot are you? It's a
      rally!!"
Lazlow: "You don't know what it's for, do you!?!"
Jeff: "It's for hope. Please come, everybody! It'll be real good!"
Lazlow: "Alright, you fight the power, brother!"

"I predict the Internet will soon go spectacularly supernova and in 1996 catastrophically collapse." - Robert Metcalfe, 1995
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1116

View Profile
January 05, 2016, 10:10:09 PM

Gavin Andresen, Wladimir van der Laan, and Cory Fields all joined the MIT media lab in April. I just assume that's who pays them?

https://medium.com/mit-media-lab-digital-currency-initiative/welcome-to-the-mit-media-lab-gavin-wlad-and-cory-977ae418c084#.k43lwgi8h

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
BruceFenton (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2016, 11:23:27 PM

Your LinkenIn profile says this:

Managing Director, Chief Investment Officer
Atlantic Financial Inc.
December 1994 – Present (21 years 2 months)

Are you still Managing Director?

Yes
Gyrsur
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 1520

Bitcoin Legal Tender Countries: 2 of 206

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2016, 11:28:47 PM

Your LinkenIn profile says this:

Managing Director, Chief Investment Officer
Atlantic Financial Inc.
December 1994 – Present (21 years 2 months)

Are you still Managing Director?

Yes

https://youtu.be/YbzNJr26H-4

Grin

BruceFenton (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2016, 12:35:53 AM

I admit that I’ve always been a little skeptical of Bruce Fenton's work history claims.  Different firms with limited web presence and no specific deals listed anywhere.  Poorly crafted main website that also doesn't list any employees or specific deals done:  http://www.atlanticfinancial.com/

>>>>TRUE - haven't updated the website in ages because the focus isn't relevant, haven't accepted retail clients for years.

So I did a little more digging, it does seem at a minimum that there is some puffery in his bio and some misstatements in some comments he made as part of his running for Director of the Foundation.  I’ll go through my research in the order it occurred, as some of the conclusions evolved through the process, and am trying to be neutral.  Also, I note that all the info linked is either information Bruce has published, or is publically available info by virtue of his business activities.

First, take a look at his linkedin page:  https://www.linkedin.com/in/brucefenton  Give it a read, looks pretty impressive.

>>>>> Everything on this LinkedIn is accurate, there is absolutely nothing inconsistent or inaccurate

And then go to this link which shows the form ADV for his current firm, Atlantic Financial.  On the left, there is link for "view all in PDF."  http://www.adviserinfo.sec.gov/iapd/content/viewform/adv/Sections/iapd_AdvRegulatorStatusSection.aspx?ORG_PK=159167&RGLTR_PK=50030&STATE_CD=MA&FLNG_PK=00AFF2940008017C01A413100562A635056C8CC0

So let us start at Item 5 - employees.  He has only one listed, himself.  This seems a bit at odds with his claim on linkedin that "Atlantic Financial is a full service investment and wealth management company founded in 1994 and was the first full service investment firm on the Internet."

>>>>> How is this at odds?   We use independent contractors.

Now lets go to 5.D.  5.D.1. shows his client allocation by % of clients.  But then in 5.D.2 it shows "approximate amount of your regulatory assets under management (reported in Item 5.F. below) attributable to each of the following type of client."  Bruce checks "None" for every single category.

>>>>> Yes, that's correct we don't use the RIA to manage assets,

Now on 5.G, type of services he provides, he checked the box for "financial planning services" and "portfolio management."  So maybe the reason for the "none" above is that his business is more about "financial planning services" than "portfolio management."  But, it appears no, as 5.H says he provided planning services to 0 clients in the past year.

>>>> My work for the last six years or more has been big picture deal focused and economic advisory work which does not fall under the services of a registered investment advisor.  My main clients during this time were a $60-70 billion private equity firm and a $60 billion private foundation.  When you work at that level the assets are not counted under your assets under management -- it would be inaccurate to count the full assets -- also the work is typically done on a flat fee, retainer or contract based on time, not assets under management like smaller client relationships typically are

Note that his linkedin says he:  "- personally placed or sourced over $5 billion in investments during career" and "- created and managed $500 million in-house investment services group for 100 year old law firm.”

>>>>> Yes, this is correct, the majority was mutual funds, followed by equites, I also raised money for private equity deals - the law firm is Bowditch and Dewey who I created and a managed the investment advisory practice for for about 7 years, this contracted ended some years back and they still have the investment group

Now let’s look at Item 6, "Other Business Activities."  He lists none.  But his linkedin page notes that he is also a managing director of Boston Gulf Advisors.  Incidentally, the facebook page for Boston Gulf Advisors is here:  https://www.facebook.com/BostonGulfAdvisorsGroup/  It lists the company website as http://bostongulfconsulting.com/  When I click that link, I get "Error establishing a database connection."

>>>>> Boston Gulf Advisors Group is not an outside business activity, it is simply a trade name of AF Asset Management which was made at the request of the foundation client because my Saudi Arabia economic advisory work overlapped with my investment client work (speaking to the same sets of people on behalf of two different clients) and it was easier to segregate the two with a DBA / trade name as the foundation did not want to be confused with private equity

There is more we could do here, but lets take a detour.  Go back to the main page and look on the left for "Brochures."  Click ADV Form 2B.  Scroll down to "Education."  Yes, he lists a BA from Bentley University, as with linkedin.  But unlike on linkedin, here he lists a graduation date of 2006, well after his first financial job as a VP at Morgan Stanley in 1992.  So not on outright misstatement, but a little obfuscation.  And, if he had been in the investment banking group at Morgan Stanley, there is no way he would get hired without a college degree and make VP in two years.  But the investment advisor group could be different.

>>>>> Absolutely not a misstatement in any way -- after high school I joined the Navy, I started work in the investment business prior to having a college degree - later in life I attended Bentley as an adult evening undergrad and received a degree in 2006, I don't usually include the Bentley grad date because people often assume that you were standard college grad age at that time and I would not want someone to glacé quickly and inaccurately assume I had only 8-9 years professional experience

Next, look at "Business Background."  His Atlantic Financial experience here begins 9/2011, versus linkedin where his experience for that firm is: "December 1994 – Present (21 years 2 months)".

>>>>>>  This is completely consistent and both are accurate.  This accusation off base comes from not understanding the investment business and how it works.   I founded Atlantic Financial in December 1994 and this has been my company all this time.   That's been my business card, email and letter head and my legal employer on my tax return.  As an independent firm, owned by me, I engaged various companies over the years to serve as my back office and hold my licenses.   Like many thousands and thousands of firms, I did not serve as my own broker dealer or clearing firm I hired someone else to do this and placed my license with them.  This is standard for most independent firms.   I was not an employee of Cantella and did not work in their offices, but they did hold my license.  During all of this time I had an Atlantic Financial business card and that name on my door.

He also doesn't list Morgan Stanley, Boston Gulf, or any other experience from his linkedin page.  But he does list "03/1998 – 09/2011 Registered Representative Cantella & Co. Inc."

>>>>> Again, this is because you don't understand how FINRA registrations work, that's fine, no one other than FINRA members and lawyers do understand this, what's not fine is making an accusation based on so,etching that you don't know much about...especially without simply asking me first  -  Hwre is how it works:  the FINRA Broker Check you looked up is taken from your U4 form - the U4 form has a very different format and purpose than a LinkedIn page -- the U4 primarily focuses on your actual broker dealer licensing and registrations and does not ask or care about the names or corporate status of Offices of Supervisory Jurisdiction (OSJs) or the incorporated / business name of the entities of a registered person -- in 2011 we stopped using outside back officer providers and became an RIA only with no broker dealer affiliation so at that time there was no other group holding my license.>>>>>>

Now, my first reaction was that this was a pretty huge lie, but on digging around more on Cantella and Bruce Fenton and from what I know of the financial advisor / broker dealer space, it seems like it is possible that while technically being a registered rep at Cantella, he could still market himself as Atlantic Financial.  For example, see this link:  http://209.132.84.78/investing/fidelity-advisor-worst-days-followed-by-gains.pdf

>>>>>>  No, not a lie in any way at all, not remotely, indirectly in any way at all.  It is an extraordinarily common practice used by thousands of firms and tens of thousands of representatives.  It is completely in compliance and FINRA regulations have several rules recognizing and governing Offices of Supervisory Jurisdiction.  Unfortunate that your first reaction was that I was lying rather than you asking me or doing more research, you've now thrown my name out with accusations which are unfounded

Although looking at his Finra history, Cantella is expressly listed as his employer:  http://brokercheck.finra.org/Report/Download/40521359 (if direct link does not work, enter 2286983 in the spot where it asks for name or CRD number.)  And, again to try and be balanced, it also shows he was previously registered at Dean Witter Reynolds around the same time as his Linkedin profile claims he was a VP at Morgan Stanley.  Dean Witter was a retail brokerage that merged with Morgan Stanley, a more prestigious and international full service investment bank.  But that merger occurred well after Bruce was there, in 1997.  So more puffery in trying to use what I view as a more prestigious name.  Also, it is still odd the dates don’t match exactly, and that he is listed as having been registered with two other firms that appear nowhere on his linkedin bio.

>>>>>> Dean Witter doesn't exist anymore, all my employment records and old licensing are at Morgan Stanley - all of the people I worked with are at Morgan Stanley and anyone wanting to check my records or verify anything would have to call Morgan Stanley.  The other firms don't appear because they were only back office service providers.  Who you are registered with for U4 / FINRA purposes is different than who you are actually employed by.  The exception is a large wirehouse like UBS or Morgan Stanley where the one holding your license and your employer are the same company.

This is why I say there is definitely some puffery in his bio.  In my mind, there is a big difference in being a financial advisor “representative” affiliated with various firms over the years, going from being a young VP at Morgan Stanley to founding a global “full service investment and wealth management company founded in 1994 [that] was the first full service investment firm on the Internet.”

>>>>> Atlantic Financial is the first full service investment firm on the Internet and is global -- this isn't puffery

It also raises the question of why he left Cantella relationship.  And it now appears that the reason for the form ADV listing zero amounts is that he must have left that relationship, to finally create his own advisory firm that needed to be individually registered.  Those amounts may be zero because he was unable to bring clients over, or was not able to until he got registered.

>>>>>> No, again you are speculating with, unfortunately, no knowledge whatsoever -- I really wish you would have asked me before publicly accusing me of dishonesty, all of your items are easily explained.   I left Cantella because my practice was changing with more large clients and big picture economic advisor work, I no longer needed the FINRA broker dealer status or back office as that type of activity was less than 5% of overal revenue at the time yet comes with it a great deal of hassle -- also, as I was beginning to spend about 50% of my time outside the US it did not make sense to be an OSJ of an American broker dealer>>>>

Interstingly, that same Finra link lists several "Disclosure Events", all of which seem to be in the category of: "Financial".  If you go to the full report, they appear to involve 3 instances of renegotiating debt with credit card companies.  In the most recent, he managed to settle an amount due of $35,000 to Citibank for $6,100 in June of 2011.  Interestingly, that is around the time he left Cantella (September 2011.) 

>>>>>>> Yes, as I've explained in the other thread which dug up this info.   These are my only disclosures in 20 years.  Zero customer complaints, zero regulatory actions, no lawsuits, babkruptcies, fines, sanctions, disciplinary actions or issues with anyone supervised by me.  It is considered a spotless record from a compliance standpoint.  As for the credit cards, we had an employee have access to credit in my name, credit card debt was accumulated and the bills were sent to an apartment / office I had in NYC.  The employee left and the office was closed.  I didn't even know about the debt until some time later, collections called me and I explained the situation, they knocked off the penalties and let me pay only what I originally owed them.   As I said on Reddit, I don't even think this qualifies as a financial disclosure but my compliance officer at the time wanted it listed anyway.  It does not count as a black mark on the U4.  Essentially Negotiating to have penalties removed is the worst thing my record covers in 20 years.

Note that in his Reddit election AMA (https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2qqsnh/hi_reddit_rbitcoin_im_bruce_fenton_running_for/cn8s80f) he noted:  "the only disclosable event on my FINRA U4 license is that I renegotiated about $20k in credit card debt in around 2006 I believe -- I actually dont think this was required to be disclosed as a material financial event but my compliance officer at the time encouraged me to do so to be sure."  And the other two events that were listed on the Finra form were both in 2010.  So he was off on the amount, the date, and the number of disclosures.

>>>>>> Yes,  I did not go back and check the amount, just as I'm not checking it based on your post now, it was minor either way.  I'll take your word for it, whatever the amount you say is listed.

So the Reddit comment is an outright lie, and it does make you wonder why a successful money manager needed to renegotiate credit card debt in the two years before he left his employer of more than 12 years.

>>>>> Not a lie at all - it's a super minor amount from a long time ago I really don't remember much more and have never thought about it other than these two times it's been brought up on chat boards.  I have good credit, I own my home, I pay my bills, I've never been sued or bankrupt etc.

And to give him credit, that same report mentions in "Other Business Activities" his involvement with FDVT, advising private industry and governments on various things, and that he is a consultant for XXXX XXXXXXX [removed by Bruce]  for activities related to the Middle East, where he is compensated on a flat fee basis.  But we still have no proof that he "placed or sourced" $5 billion of investments over his career.

>>>>> Okay, so, since my client name is already Doxxed on this shit show of non-logical and incorrect accusations --- doesn't this make a bit of sense?   Are you familiar with that company?  Doesn't this pretty much explain all your theories?

So that is the current summary.  I’ve tried to be neutral, and am open to any response from Bruce or others on this booard.  But I have to also say that at a minimum, the puffery and misstatements in his background, as well as his combative attitude on this board, don’t make me that optimistic that the Bitcoin Foundation is in much better hands.

>>>>>> My attitude towards this board is partly based on a tendency to accuse without full data.  I hope you consider offering an apology.  It is extremely serious to attack someone's credibility and accuse them of lying.  Everything on my LinkedIn is completely accurate, differences with the U4 data from FINRA are completely normal and, in fact, it would not be accurate for someone to claim they worked for a broker dealer when they did not but had an OSJ registered with them.  After my explanations, the only possible complaints you could still have are about a minor debt settlement (to be clear this isn't a lawsuit, bankruptcy or anything along those lines, simply negotiating a lower payment) and the use of the name of the post merger Morgan Stanley instead of pre-merger Dean Witter.  I'm really not trying to bolster my resume for something from 20 years ago, I used the post merger name because I think it makes sense and this is who has my records at this time.

What a lot of time you spent on this.

Most of your comments are easily and logically explained or are premises based on not having a full understanding of how the investment business works.

Answers included above.
BruceFenton (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2016, 12:36:50 AM

Gavin Andresen, Wladimir van der Laan, and Cory Fields all joined the MIT media lab in April. I just assume that's who pays them?

https://medium.com/mit-media-lab-digital-currency-initiative/welcome-to-the-mit-media-lab-gavin-wlad-and-cory-977ae418c084#.k43lwgi8h

Yes, as far as I know
BruceFenton (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2016, 12:41:04 AM

I don't think the part of tomothy's question in bold is answered properly.

So, part of your mission is "Fostering Core Development", but you won't outright support Core on their approach for the block size debate? How can this be?

Do you plan to support the other teams like XT or BU then?

And "Gavin no longer receives a salary from the Bitcoin Foundation"... what does that mean? Is he no longer chief scientist?

To put it another way: If someone supports The Bitcoin Foundation in any way, what are they supporting?

Best Regards

Oh, and thanks to tomothy for bringing something meaningful into this.

This is a draft mission statement,  the specific reason it is listed as a draft and out for comment is to answer questions like this.

My thought is that, since we have members like Gavin, Garzik, Peter Todd and companies from various sides of the discussion that working to be neutral and improve communication and consensus is valuable.   If you think the foundation should take a solid stand on the blocksize debate, then that is very worthy of discussion.  It's up to the members to convey this to the board and the board to determine how they best represent those members.

Yes, Gavin is still Chief Scientist, he is not paid, he is a volunteer just like all other roles (save two part time admin roles)
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: