Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 11:39:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The best buy right now is not Bitcoin, it is ALTCOINS  (Read 7409 times)
Supercrypt
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1054

View Profile
January 10, 2016, 05:04:28 PM

I dont think Altcoins are good investment at all. There is way too much scams in that scene. Altcoins (at least some of them) are mostly good way to coders sharpen their skills and good test ground for things that could one day be implemented in Bitcoin but if you ask me, crypto need maybe few alts (with faster confirms, able to send dust cheaper and anon sending options) and that is all.
Not all altcoins are scams. There are a few altcoins that can be considered as a good investment.
But unlike bitcoin prices, altcoin's prices are highly manipulated. When bitcoin faced down fall, alt coins were suffered a lot. I always do not consider altcoins as good investment opportunities even some of them are established in some ways.
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
LuckyYOU

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 10, 2016, 06:07:57 PM

I would not reckon to spend time on altcoins.
99% are scams. The rest run by honost developers.
So yeah you will lose money on that.

gkv9
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

!!! RiSe aBovE ThE StoRm !!!

View Profile
January 10, 2016, 06:31:26 PM

I dont think Altcoins are good investment at all. There is way too much scams in that scene. Altcoins (at least some of them) are mostly good way to coders sharpen their skills and good test ground for things that could one day be implemented in Bitcoin but if you ask me, crypto need maybe few alts (with faster confirms, able to send dust cheaper and anon sending options) and that is all.
Not all altcoins are scams. There are a few altcoins that can be considered as a good investment.

After the Ripple thing which was so big in terms of market capitalization, I guess Bitcoin is best in its genre as it at least helps you get out at the rates you bought at before...
Which altcoin should be trusted??? All are P&D mostly, unless we see something extremely creative in the concept mentioned...

pissedoff

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 10, 2016, 06:53:27 PM

I would not reckon to spend time on altcoins.
99% are scams. The rest run by honost developers.
So yeah you will lose money on that.
You need to choose wisely when investing in altcoins. There are a few honest coins to invest in if you do your research.
SISAR (OP)

Activity: 651
Merit: 518

View Profile
January 10, 2016, 07:55:10 PM
Last edit: January 10, 2016, 08:13:11 PM by SISAR

Sure, but most of them are just pump and dump, and the chance of raising 1000% is much smaller than the chance of them becoming equal to 0 $

How exactly would you drop let's say Huntercoin ( https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=435170.0 ) to zero? 42 million coins in total, current supply is a bit over 10 million coins and with current price of roughly 500 Satoshis that makes Huntercoin marketcap a bit over 50 BTC. To buy all 10 million already mined coins for 1 Satoshi each you'd need just 0.1 BTC asuming all current holders would sell to you which is highly unlikely. So right there your story about "equal to zero" is not holding the water. But if you can find some other reasons why mentioned coin might go to zero feel free to post them (make sure you understand what is Huntercoin, who are developers and other fundamentals).

I am so fucking tired of altcoins!

Every altcoin I've ever invested in has either been a scam or gone dead in the water after a while. Granted, you can earn a fair amount of BTC on altcoin speculation, but when it comes down to it I might as well should have just put my BTC in cold storage and then forgot about them until the next growthspurt. The amazing amount of bullshit I've been through with the god damn altcoins just hasn't been worth it.

Fuck altcoins, buy BTC. In the long run it's the safest bet.

Wait, so it is altcoins' fault that you lost money investing in them? It is not about your noobish trading and investing skills? You have bought into many early pumps and dumps, lost money there and now you are bitching about altcoins yet cheering Bitcoin expecting others to listen to you? Based on what success stories? Bitcoin dropped from above 1200 USD down to below 200 USD but it is great yet altcoins that dropped roughly the same (many actualy dropped less) are shit?
Pab
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1012

View Profile
January 10, 2016, 08:07:04 PM

Sure, Bitcoin can go up 100% from here but altcoins can go up 1000% much easier and much faster, given their current marketcaps and lack of liquidity. But do not wait for too long, buy at least a small amount of altcoins at current very low prices and smile later when majority suddenly (re)discovers altcoins, many of which outperform Bitcoin is all technical aspects. Pretty much every noob investor and speculator is dumping altcoins now so you should be slowly buying them.

Depends  what altcoins,doge is up 30% in last two days Buy is from BTC38,maybe chinise are preparing doge pump

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
start the art

Activity: 395
Merit: 408

Bitcoin OG artworks collection

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2016, 08:53:54 PM

Top ten altcoins ( Lite,Dash,Doge,Ethereum,NXT,Monero,Bitshares....) will probably survive.
But wait a little longer,new dump is on its way.
And THEN buy some of your favorite alts.

SISAR (OP)

View Profile
January 10, 2016, 09:20:12 PM
Last edit: January 10, 2016, 09:32:38 PM by SISAR

Top ten altcoins ( Lite,Dash,Doge,Ethereum,NXT,Monero,Bitshares....) will probably survive.

To wait a bit longer with top altcoins might be a good call but it is not with realy cheap yet interesting altcoins. It is all related to liquidity. One will possibly not lose much profit if he is a bit late with top altcoins because 1000% rise is very unlikely in very short period of time which means that buying after bottom is confirmed would probably still result in a great entry prices. But with very cheap altcoins, where liquidity is very low, 1000% rise is possible in a single buy! Unless you bought coins prior to a rise you'd miss a big part of profit because instead of buying at let's say 1000 Satoshis today you'd be looking at 5000 or 10000+ Satoshis as entry prices tommorow.
pissedoff

View Profile
January 10, 2016, 09:21:09 PM

The top altcoins cannot be counted in numbers of 10. I prefer to only invest in the top 3-5 altcoins because the remaining 5 might change in rank.
pissedoff

View Profile
January 10, 2016, 09:25:43 PM

To wait a bit longer with top altcoins might be a good call but it is not with realy cheap yet interesting altcoins. It is all related to liquidity. One will possibly not lose much profit if he is a bit late with top altcoins because 1000% rise is very unlikely in very short period of time which means that buying after bottom is confirmed would probably still result in great entry prices. But with very cheap altcoins, where liquidity is very low, 1000% rise is possible in a single buy! Unless you bought coins prior to a rise you'd miss a big part of profit because instead of buying at let's say 1000 Satoshi today you'd be looking at 5000 or 10000+ as entry prices tommorow.
Investing in altcoins requires lots of research if you want to profit unless your investing in the top altcoins.
SISAR (OP)

View Profile
January 10, 2016, 09:41:40 PM

Investing in altcoins requires lots of research if you want to profit unless your investing in the top altcoins.

It is actualy the oppossite of what you stated. The higher on marketcap list some altcoin is placed, the more time you'd need to research it and stay up to date. For other altcoins, in a single day you can quick-check hundreds of them for at least basics like community activity (forum thread), existence of main website and explorer, trade volume at exchanges and all-time charts simply by using http://coinmarketcap.com/ data. After discarding what looks like shit to you keep on learning more about altcoins that you like. In under a week you'll have a clear picture of situation and then just occassionaly check for any updates.
afbitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1061

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2016, 10:23:46 PM

I'm enjoying this thread and agree with the idea, though wouldn't recommend picking alts to everyone. Idea of only looking at those with big market cap is sensible. Also those that have been around for a while

@SISAR Wondered if you care to name any that have caught your attention ?

Only alt I follow myself is DASH, might also be tempted to look into ETH a bit more though.
MaritiJames3

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 10, 2016, 10:24:30 PM

I would never go for an altcoin since i heard just too many bad things about them.
Most of the developers there are not developers at all, just hiring some guy to make a coin and they make up some graphics.
wikenpp

Activity: 672

View Profile
January 10, 2016, 10:26:28 PM

I would never go for an altcoin since i heard just too many bad things about them.
Most of the developers there are not developers at all, just hiring some guy to make a coin and they make up some graphics.

That's correct. Apart from their bogus marketing plan they can't deliver on anything.
There are a few legit coins with good developers but they too can make a coin go downhill very fast by having no time.
afbitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1061

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2016, 11:26:25 PM

That's correct. Apart from their bogus marketing plan they can't deliver on anything.
There are a few legit coins with good developers but they too can make a coin go downhill very fast by having no time.

Why I like Dash, the devs are delivering
stoat

Activity: 686
Merit: 270

FREEDOM RESERVE

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2016, 01:02:16 AM

Ethereum is on a bit of a bull run right now.

FREEDOMRESERVEFree currency for the British Isles
Visit our website for more info

<-- Click here!
FREEDOMRESERVE By the People and for the People
angaper

Activity: 966
Merit: 507

View Profile
January 11, 2016, 01:23:48 AM

It is undoubted that you can make huge money investing in altcoins, but your capital will be at high risk all the time If you don't have the proper knowledge and strategy to do it. I personally prefer to invest in bitcoin because is the only digital currency with a brilliant future, no matter to be patient for several years to reach the expected wealth.
stoat

FREEDOM RESERVE

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2016, 02:58:07 AM

It is undoubted that you can make huge money investing in altcoins, but your capital will be at high risk all the time If you don't have the proper knowledge and strategy to do it. I personally prefer to invest in bitcoin because is the only digital currency with a brilliant future, no matter to be patient for several years to reach the expected wealth.
You people add nothing to the discussion.  Why dont you all fuck off?

<-- Click here!
stoat

FREEDOM RESERVE

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2016, 02:59:11 AM

Ethereum is on a big bull run right now.

<-- Click here!
Arcteryx

Activity: 728

EtherSphere - Social Games

View Profile
January 11, 2016, 04:51:37 AM

This is exactly what I think of altcoins. I invested in monero and nxt and look at them now. They are not worth as much as I got them for and are just depreciating everytime that I check on their price while holding them.

........EtherSphere........
.....ICO Starts on 5th August, 4:00 PM UTC.....
.......High ROI Social Ethereum Games
........BENEFITS WHITEPAPER ANN THREAD GITHUB REDDIT TWITTER........

░░░░░░░░░░░▄██████████████▀░░░░░
░░░░░░░░▄█████████████▀▀░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░▄██████▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░██████▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░██████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░██████▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░▀███████████████████▄░░░░
░░░░░░░░░▀▀██████████████████▄░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███████░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄██████▀░░░
░░░░░░░▄█████████████████▀▀░░░░░
░░░░░▄████████████████▀▀░░░░░░░░......................
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: