Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 04:56:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 »
  Print  
Author Topic: "Bitcoin is Dead" - Mike Hearn  (Read 17567 times)
virtualdn
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1093

View Profile
January 15, 2016, 07:33:35 PM

what makes you believe he sold all his coins first? is there a way he could prove he owns nothing more? Smiley

1 BTC = 1 BTC

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
partysaurus

Activity: 574
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 15, 2016, 07:54:14 PM

what makes you believe he sold all his coins first? is there a way he could prove he owns nothing more? Smiley

Guess he sold hes coins before the article, and now he waits for a better price to pick up some new coins , laughing all the way to the bank Cheesy
mvag

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 15, 2016, 11:31:20 PM

Wont change the fact that you're a newbie
I joined this forum a few months before you, and you seem to be a hero member. What it makes me?

...who knows nothing...
You're right here.
I know nothing, except for the fact that now your "Mike" is working for a dangerous and extremely rich enemy of Bitcoin.
Yakamoto
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1007

View Profile
January 16, 2016, 12:29:02 AM

Wont change the fact that you're a newbie
I joined this forum a few months before you, and you seem to be a hero member. What it makes me?

...who knows nothing...
You're right here.
I know nothing, except for the fact that now your "Mike" is working for a dangerous and extremely rich enemy of Bitcoin.
Hero member just means they've posted over 450 times (on average) over 450 days, or made 14 posts each 2 weeks. This means you can add more content to your signature, and it makes your account worth more on this forum. This typically also means a user has more experience with this board, and has interacted enough with everyone else to know what their doing.

Mike Hearn is not a very rich or important figure when it comes to Bitcoin, his announcement was merely timed with the cryptsy collapse announcement, and they merely compounded on top of each other to form an issue. Mike had no individual effect, he was just waiting to make himself feel relevant.
keepdoing (OP)

Activity: 140
Merit: 101

View Profile
January 16, 2016, 12:46:35 AM

Hero member just means they've posted over 450 times (on average) over 450 days, or made 14 posts each 2 weeks. This means you can add more content to your signature, and it makes your account worth more on this forum. This typically also means a user has more experience with this board, and has interacted enough with everyone else to know what their doing.

Mike Hearn is not a very rich or important figure when it comes to Bitcoin, his announcement was merely timed with the cryptsy collapse announcement, and they merely compounded on top of each other to form an issue. Mike had no individual effect, he was just waiting to make himself feel relevant.
You are an idiot, and a prime reason why so many people are bailing on bitcoin presently.  Let's look at how the New York Times has framed this "nobody" named Mike Hearn.....

"He was one of a handful of developers around the world dedicated to maintaining the basic software that governs both the creation of new Bitcoins and the network on which the financial transactions take place.

But a nasty fight has torn apart the small brotherhood of Bitcoin developers and raised questions about the survival of the virtual currency. Mr. Hearn, until recently one of the most prominent leaders of the Bitcoin project, became so disillusioned that in December he sold the few hundred Bitcoins he had left......."

LET ME TELL YOU what this is about.  It has been brewing a long time.  Big money in wallstreet, in banks, and venture capitolists have been funding the growth of bitcoin.  They are serious, professional people, that have definite financial motives in mind.  They write the paychecks for the loser little tech weenie punks that write code for them.  Somewhere along the way the tech weenies began to actually think they ran something, that what they wanted mattered.  That anybody gave a shit about their ideas on how bitcoin would ultimately be used.

At first it was amusing.  But now people are not amused anymore.  I assure you that this death spiral that is potentially setting up in bitcoin was triggered directly by Mike Hearn's Statements.

I do not support Mike Hearn.  I think he is an ass.  But I would take him a dozen times over these Blockstream/Core idiots that HAVE CAUSED ALL OF THIS.  

Currently I still see a 50/50 chance that Bitcoin survives and prevails against the looming FIATCOIN that is going to be launched against Bitcoin.  But just barely.   Myself and many many others are watching for just a single, solitary sign.... that Classic will actually be delivered.  But already I see that group getting bogged down in stupid discussions.  They just can't seem to shut up and code like they are paid to.
Yakamoto
Legendary

View Profile
January 16, 2016, 12:55:41 AM

You are an idiot, and a prime reason why so many people are bailing on bitcoin presently.  Let's look at how the New York Times has framed this "nobody" named Mike Hearn.....

"He was one of a handful of developers around the world dedicated to maintaining the basic software that governs both the creation of new Bitcoins and the network on which the financial transactions take place.

But a nasty fight has torn apart the small brotherhood of Bitcoin developers and raised questions about the survival of the virtual currency. Mr. Hearn, until recently one of the most prominent leaders of the Bitcoin project, became so disillusioned that in December he sold the few hundred Bitcoins he had left......."

LET ME TELL YOU what this is about.  It has been brewing a long time.  Big money in wallstreet, in banks, and venture capitolists have been funding the growth of bitcoin.  They are serious, professional people, that have definite financial motives in mind.  They write the paychecks for the loser little tech weenie punks that write code for them.  Somewhere along the way the tech weenies began to actually ran something, that what they wanted mattered.  That anybody gave a shit about their ideas on how bitcoin would ultimately be used.

At first it was amusing.  But now people are not amused anymore.  I assure you that this death spiral that is potentially setting up in bitcoin was triggered directly by Mike Hearn's Statements.

I do not support Mike Hearn.  I think he is an ass.  But I would take him a dozen times over these Blockstream/Core idiots that HAVE CAUSED ALL OF THIS.  

Currently I still see a 50/50 chance that Bitcoin survives and prevails against the looming FIATCOIN that is going to be launched against Bitcoin.  But just barely.   Myself and many many others are watching for just a single, solitary sign.... that Classic will actually be delivered.  But already I see that group getting bogged down in stupid discussions.  They just can't seem to shut up and code like they are paid to.
I understand your point, and I do agree that it would have been better to have someone just do something instead of just cause drama in the Bitcoin space. I would argue though that the price drop is a combination of both Mark's comments and the Cryptsy exchange collapsing. It seems that an exchange collapse has far more impact on the price than someone's comments, but due to the two events happening quite closely together that it is difficult to measure the effects.

I do want to say that my "making him feel relevant" comment still stands, as per your "Somewhere along the way the tech weenies began to actually ran something, that what they wanted mattered.  That anybody gave a shit about their ideas on how bitcoin would ultimately be used." comment, but I do understand that he is technically relevant because he is one of the people making it so everyone has to rely on him for the service to continue.

In one way I hope classic actually shows a sliver of getting released, but we'll have to see if drama will overtake that too.

I do enjoy your points, and I hope to have more dialogue with you in the future.

I am willing to say that a majority of the sellers are doing so because of the political climate within Bitcoin, and will most likely return once the victory-result is clear. It will depend more on if Bitcoin will return to previous levels or spiral into obscurity, like you said.
keepdoing (OP)

Activity: 140
Merit: 101

View Profile
January 16, 2016, 01:06:51 AM

LET ME TELL YOU what this is about.  It has been brewing a long time.  Big money in wallstreet, in banks, and venture capitolists have been funding the growth of bitcoin.  They are serious, professional people, that have definite financial motives in mind.  They write the paychecks for the loser little tech weenie punks that write code for them.  Somewhere along the way the tech weenies began to actually ran something, that what they wanted mattered.  That anybody gave a shit about their ideas on how bitcoin would ultimately be used.

I understand your point, and I do agree that it would have been better to have someone just do something instead of just cause drama in the Bitcoin space. I would argue though that the price drop is a combination of both Mark's comments and the Cryptsy exchange collapsing. It seems that an exchange collapse has far more impact on the price than someone's comments, but due to the two events happening quite closely together that it is difficult to measure the effects.

I do want to say that my "making him feel relevant" comment still stands, as per your "Somewhere along the way the tech weenies began to actually ran something, that what they wanted mattered.  That anybody gave a shit about their ideas on how bitcoin would ultimately be used." comment, but I do understand that he is technically relevant because he is one of the people making it so everyone has to rely on him for the service to continue.

In one way I hope classic actually shows a sliver of getting released, but we'll have to see if drama will overtake that too.

I do enjoy your points, and I hope to have more dialogue with you in the future.

I am willing to say that a majority of the sellers are doing so because of the political climate within Bitcoin, and will most likely return once the victory-result is clear. It will depend more on if Bitcoin will return to previous levels or spiral into obscurity, like you said.
I owe you an apology.  Very sorry.

There is very little beauty created in this world.  Watching yet another thing of potential beauty get crushed, trampled, abused by people of no understanding is taking its toll on my patience.   I actually think I don't have any more points to make at this time.  Your last paragraph pretty much covers it.  I feel released just to see another say it.

Thank you for helping me to see my anguish and let go of it Smiley

Peace to you.
futureofbitcoin

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 16, 2016, 02:20:00 AM
Last edit: January 16, 2016, 04:40:37 AM by futureofbitcoin

Mike Hearn, one of the people who actually has been ACTIVELY working on bitcoin for years and understands the code, versus a bunch of random people on a forum with no qualifications whatsoever hmm... I wonder who I should listen to.

Yes, that is appealing to authority a bit, but in this case, I think that is the logical thing to do. It seems fishy how many people on this forum supports not increasing the blocksize.

I look at other sources, sources from people who actually know their stuff and have actually pushed along technology and innovation in the past 2 decades through start ups and venture funding, and guess what, their attitude is completely different from random people online.

http://avc.com/2016/01/bitcoin-is-dead-long-live-bitcoin/#disqus_thread

That is but one example.

Honestly my understanding of computer science, technology and economics is pitiful. I don't know what to make of the current situation myself, I'm simply not knowledgeable enough to give any sort of vague prediction. But neither do the vast majority of posters here.

justspare

Activity: 1022
Merit: 538

View Profile
January 16, 2016, 03:01:27 AM

Bitcoin is definitely not dead. Bitcoin is only just starting up, how can you declare it dead just like that. The price is going to rise soon.  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
January 16, 2016, 03:17:48 AM

Bitcoin is definitely not dead. Bitcoin is only just starting up, how can you declare it dead just like that. The price is going to rise soon.  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Only after we implement a scalability solution.

The market has spoken.

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2016, 03:53:56 AM

Mike Hearn, one of the people who actually has been ACTIVELY working on bitcoin for years and understands the code

Under the assumption Hearn understands Bitcoin's code, we must conclude he was intentionally lying when he wrote 0conf double spending was somehow uniquely enabled by RBF.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
0bit

Activity: 61
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 16, 2016, 04:05:10 AM

Bitcoin is apparently 'dead', but it's market cap is sitting at well over 5 billion USD right now.

If this is what being 'dead' is like, then I'd say being 'dead' is a relatively good place to be.

Activity: 395
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 16, 2016, 04:51:45 AM

Here is what Mr. Hearn did recently, the timeline:

1. Mr. Hearn ensured the job at R3, the leader of international banking consortium, established to disrupt Bitcoin. The banks and financial institutions of the consortium collectively control trillions of dollars.

2. Mr. Hearn sold his coins.

3. Mr. Hearn published the "The resolution of the Bitcoin experiment" article, where he stated that "Bitcoin has failed".

Mr. Hearn currently is a new R3 employee, not a Bitcoin developer. If he, as he should be, is loyal to his employer, his new objective is to damage Bitcoin.

From this perspective his actions make perfect sense.
This is the truth, Mike crazy, hope he never don't come back, bitcoin will pull through , Angry

▄████████████████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████████████
██████              ██████████████
██████              ██████████████
██████████████▀    ▄███▀▀██▀▀▀████
████████████▀    ▄█████  ▀    ████
██████████▀    ▄███████    ▄██████
████████▀    ▄█████████   ████████
██████▀    ▄███████████   ████████
██████              ███   ████████
██████              ███   ████████
▀████████████████████████████████▀
Coin

.WORLD'S  FIRST  COMMODITY-BACKED  BLOCKCHAIN  OPTION.
......▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀.......
HIGH PROFIT CASH BACK ON DEMAND REAL PRODUCTION

JOIN ICO
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.BECOME AN INVESTOR.
gravitate
Legendary

Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 16, 2016, 05:06:35 AM

not after a big loss. the chinese had a big sell off. when Europe wakes up it will happen again...

To peel or not to peel.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
January 16, 2016, 05:41:40 AM

The market has spoken.

Agreed that a solution is needed. Somewhere there must be a reasonable answer to this forkin' mess, but what is it?

Yakamoto
Legendary

View Profile
January 16, 2016, 05:51:38 AM

The market has spoken.

Agreed that a solution is needed. Somewhere there must be a reasonable answer to this forkin' mess, but what is it?
The solution is to get people to work together and build on the existing infrastructure and framework in place instead of using this as an opportunity to snatch power for themselves and have fairly exclusive control of $5b worth of value.

Core, or whoever makes the best solution as determined by both the users and the miners, has to man up, work together, and make sure that the blockchain won't be measured in terabytes in the future.

One way I can see groups working together is through merging protocol types and finding a way to give everyone what they want. This could be like making the wallets condensed and cache versions of the blockchain, giving nodes a capped protocol to make node ownership accessible for everyday users, and leaving the blockchain overall uncapped so that it can run its course on what we have right now.

I obviously think that this is easier to implement than it actually is, but it is just an idea that someone might be able to build off of.
gravitate
Legendary

Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 16, 2016, 06:01:45 AM

30% down now after Chines selling... Just wait for this morning now. Even more

To peel or not to peel.
fernforest

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 16, 2016, 07:02:35 AM

Why is everyone ignoring the China problem?
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
January 16, 2016, 07:57:09 AM

Why is everyone ignoring the China problem?

what problem? supposedly mining centralization? it's not a problem, until one single entity buy all the miners and be in control of allt he farms

problem related to their farewall blocking incoming connections? they can always relay on some proxy, i doubt the government can block eveyrthing there

and there is always the satellite way if really needed, in the future
FlyingSaucer

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 16, 2016, 07:58:36 AM

Why did he have to exit the Bitcoin space with so much drama? Surely he must have had some underhanded motives to undermine it before leaving.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 »
  Print  

Jump to: