Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 02:30:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 ... 123 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ToominCoin aka "Bitcoin_Classic" #R3KT  (Read 157066 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115

View Profile
February 25, 2016, 02:21:50 AM

iCEBREAKER, surely there is better fodder for the classic r3kt party?

When people make fun of petty crap like that it gives the impression that there is nothing substantive to say.

I think it's best the weird personal attacks to others: As the Irish proverb says, "Never wrestle with a pig. You'll both get dirty, but the pig will like it."

The classic r3kt party is winding down, so we're left scraping the bottom of the barrel for new material (ie, something else substantive to say).

The great thing about shrinknut's zinger was its context and phrasing, not the admittedly petty content.

Instead of flashy rhetoric you should concentrate on the fact that competing implementations is healthy; but the ones that threaten to break protocol are dangerous. That's what sold me.

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
iCEBREAKER (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2016, 02:31:57 AM

Instead of flashy rhetoric you should concentrate on the fact that competing implementations is healthy; but the ones that threaten to break protocol are dangerous. That's what sold me.

Competing implementations of Bitcoin, such as Litecoin and Primecoin, are called altcoins because they establish their own independent alternative socioeconomic consensuses/majorities.

Hostile implementations of Bitcoin, such as XT and Classic, are declarations of war because they attempt to threaten Bitcoin's existing consensus-critical distributed ledger.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115

View Profile
February 25, 2016, 02:36:50 AM

Competing implementations of Bitcoin, such as Litecoin and Primecoin, are called altcoins because they establish their own independent alternative socioeconomic consensuses/majorities.

Hostile implementations of Bitcoin, such as XT and Classic, are declarations of war because they attempt to threaten Bitcoin's existing consensus-critical distributed ledger.

But there are other implementations, like libbitcoin I believe, that aren't altcoins, and are net positives for the Bitcoin ecosystem. Isn't that right?

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
February 25, 2016, 02:44:17 AM

But there are other implementations, like libbitcoin I believe, that aren't altcoins, and are net positives for the Bitcoin ecosystem. Isn't that right?

Correct. And btcd. And they are net positive.

iCEBREAKER (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2016, 02:46:43 AM

It gets confusing and idiomatic (esp for non-native speakers) if we have to distinguish between the friendly positive-sum competition of btcd vs the cutthroat zero-sum competition of GavinCoin.

I'd classify other implementations like libbitcoin and bctd as complementary, not competing, in that they all share the same goal of maintaining the One True Holy Ledger.

But let's defer to the core dev, if gmax has a better suggestion for the taxonomy/nomenclature.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
gmaxwell
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4172
Merit: 8420

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2016, 07:44:26 AM

I'd classify other implementations like libbitcoin and bctd as complementary, not competing, in that they all share the same goal of maintaining the One True Holy Ledger.

But let's defer to the core dev, if gmax has a better suggestion for the taxonomy/nomenclature.

Open source software generally both cooperates and competes. Handled well the benefits of the former offset the costs of the latter and the result is a gain for everyone. --- but software differentiating in consensus rules is the worst kind of competition: competition here can deprive users of the practical freedom to use their preferred software, and the fight risks leaving a salted earth in its wake.

This is not completely unheard of outside of consensus systems: A less powerful version of it exists in the form of file format compatibility. Microsoft was a pioneer of business strategy based on making incompatible extensions to formats, first leveraging their network effect and then-- after introducing incompatible changes-- using it against them, an approach they themselves called embrace, extend, extinguish. Worse than zero sum, these kinds of moves can be tremendously damaging overall.

Bitcoin's creator described alternative implementations as a likely "menace to the network"-- words which I think were spoken with an early insight into the incredible difficulty in making distinct software actually consensus compatible even when that is your highest goal, an art our industry is still just learning.  I wish we'd built mechanisms earlier on for better ways to enable diversity in the non-consensus parts without ending up with unintended diversity in the consensus parts.  But we play the hand we're dealt. The potential harms from consensus disagreements from mistakes in re-implementation are tiny in comparison to those from adversarial implementations which intentionally push incompatible rules.

watashi-kokoto

Activity: 682
Merit: 269

View Profile
February 25, 2016, 08:03:40 AM

Hostile implementations of Bitcoin, such as XT and Classic, are declarations of war

Let me share with you some proven strategies on hostile boards.

Miner want kill Bitcoin. Bitcoin is died please beleive me. We together very afraid.
ETHERIUM IS ONLY CHANCE FOR SAVE THE YOUR FUNDS.

The above post send via mail to non-shill (not-upvoted) users. It exposes the shill narrative `PROBLEM-FEAR-SOLUTION` and makes fun of the perfect grammar of the shills.
iCEBREAKER (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2016, 08:39:05 AM

Open source software generally both cooperates and competes. Handled well the benefits of the former offset the costs of the latter and the result is a gain for everyone. --- but software differentiating in consensus rules is the worst kind of competition: competition here can deprive users of the practical freedom to use their preferred software, and the fight risks leaving a salted earth in its wake.

So in the social UX layer, it's the ever-looming potential loss of "practical freedom to use their preferred software" that puts the criteria in 'consensus-critical.'  If the data layer is borked by some catastrophe, the nodes are mostly useless for their users.

Not being a hippie an altruist, I'd reverse or at least equate the assumptions w/r/t linking the benefits of cooperation and costs of competition.  Dodo Island Effect, don't you know.

Then I'd invert the frame, asking if it is possible to compete at being the most cooperative ('frenemies')!   Cheesy

Microsoft was a pioneer of business strategy based on making incompatible extensions to formats, first leveraging their network effect and then-- after introducing incompatible changes-- using it against them, an approach they themselves called embrace, extend, extinguish. Worse than zero sum, these kinds of moves can be tremendously damaging overall.

Bitcoin's creator described alternative implementations as a likely "menace to the network"-- words which I think were spoken with an early insight into the incredible difficulty in making distinct software actually consensus compatible even when that is your highest goal, an art our industry is still just learning.  I wish we'd built mechanisms earlier on for better ways to enable diversity in the non-consensus parts without ending up with unintended diversity in the consensus parts.  But we play the hand we're dealt. The potential harms from consensus disagreements from mistakes in re-implementation are tiny in comparison to those from adversarial implementations which intentionally push incompatible rules.

Very profound.  Great catch on pointing out I'd mistakenly referred to as "zero-sum" contentious hard forks' negative-sum game theoretics.

It's important to emphasize a Pyrrhic GavinCoin victory doesn't involve a smooth transfer of power from Evil Core to Heroic Classic.

There are Samson Options on the table.  Many Gavinistas actually want a moment of maximal risk, either because they don't own many Bitcoins or like the narrative appeal of a TV Trope style Cathartic Scream.

If hard-forkers insist on a first strike in the form of a "75/25" split, the rest of the network may respond with their Doomsday Machine, aka PoW change.

The sum productivity of such a situation quickly drops from zero to extremely negative.  Perhaps that's just creative destruction at work.

But the recriminations will surely flow, as the Gavinistas survey the decimated Bitcoin ecosystem and exclaim "Look what you made me do!"

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
davedx

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2016, 11:26:57 AM

What's this about the "R3KT party winding down"? Surely you guys should be dancing on the grave of Bitcoin Classic now it's well and truly history, right?

https://coin.dance/nodes/blocks

I mean, why is this thread still active if Classic is "R3KT"?

Bitcoin is one piece of a larger puzzle to promote liberty, prosperity and democracy.
Support the EFF with your Bitcoins. https://supporters.eff.org/donate
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2016, 11:33:41 AM

How many times does one have to tell you that the number of nodes is not a good metric, especially not when taken in a very short period of time? Either you are unable to comprehend this, or are refusing to. One can easily jump-start a high number of nodes in a short period of time.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
davedx

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2016, 12:13:19 PM

How many times does one have to tell you that the number of nodes is not a good metric, especially not when taken in a very short period of time? Either you are unable to comprehend this, or are refusing to. One can easily jump-start a high number of nodes in a short period of time.

It's the number of blocks mined, you fucking idiot. Learn to read.

Bitcoin is one piece of a larger puzzle to promote liberty, prosperity and democracy.
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2016, 12:15:17 PM

If that was the sole focus you would link to a proper website, not this joke of a "counter" (which is very biased). A single pool can't do anything, you are free to fork off with KNCMiner. Here comes the ad hominem, very 'classic'.

This is the real link (from that website) for the block statistic. Roll Eyes

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
watashi-kokoto

View Profile
February 25, 2016, 12:16:27 PM

Your shitty classic blocks are completely pointless. Joke's on you idiot.
davedx

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2016, 12:18:37 PM

If that was the sole focus you would link to a proper website, not this joke of a "counter" (which is very biased). A single pool can't do anything, you are free to fork off with KNCMiner. Here comes the ad hominem, very 'classic'.

The Bitcoin core groupies started with the ad hominems in this thread, not me. If you can't take it, don't dish it out.

More than one pool is mining Classic. But wait, this "REKT" party is over, right? Classic is dead!

watashi-kokoto

View Profile
February 25, 2016, 12:20:24 PM

The Bitcoin core groupies started with the ad hominems in this thread, not me. If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
More than one pool is mining Classic. But wait, this "REKT" party is over, right? Classic is dead!

Yes, Classic is dead. 0 team members, Gavin jerking off instead of coding, Ethereum is the next Classic, deal with it nigger;
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2016, 12:21:52 PM

This definitely did not begin with this thread. It started back with XT.

More than one pool is mining Classic.
Nobody cares. You're free to fork off right now. ~5% hashrate is also a form of consensus right?  Cheesy

But wait, this "REKT" party is over, right? Classic is dead!
If you only had real developers that were actually coding instead of wasting everyone's time and causing confusing, it might have been a viable option.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
steeev

Activity: 128
Merit: 103

View Profile
February 26, 2016, 11:09:06 PM

just upgraded to 0.12.0

YarkoL
Legendary

Activity: 996
Merit: 1013

View Profile
February 26, 2016, 11:31:32 PM

just upgraded to 0.12.0

Unlimited or Core?

“God does not play dice"
iCEBREAKER (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2016, 02:46:33 AM

In the latest news from Jerusalem...

Tensions between Team Unlimited and Classic's Censorship Martyr Brigade are running high.

https://www.reddit.com/r/btc/comments/47mj3i/announcing_bitcoinunlimited_v0120_experimental/d0e74s6

P> Announcing BitcoinUnlimited v0.12.0

Q> This is a bad idea.   All you're doing is stirring the pot and giving ammunition to those who would paint us all as idiots and trolls.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2016, 03:58:11 AM

P> Announcing BitcoinUnlimited v0.12.0

Xtreme Thinblocks
BUIP010 Reduces real-time block propagation sizes by an average of 15x (i.e. 1MB down to 70KB) returning the network overhead for newly mined blocks to the state it was in June 2012

Xpress Validation
BUIP010 Superfast block validation leverages the earlier validation of transactions which are in the mempool so that only previously unseen transactions in a block need full validation.

Traffic-shaping
BUIP001 Users can easily configure how much bandwidth should be used for Bitcoin, allowing the BU client to run unobtrusively in a home network.

this seems like good stuff, what's your take on it iCEBREAKER?

does Core have or plan to have this?

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 ... 123 »
  Print  

Jump to: