Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 10:56:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Rational Ethics  (Read 2774 times)
justusranvier (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
December 24, 2012, 02:26:07 PM

An Introduction to Rational Ethics

Universally Preferable Behavior

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
augustocroppo
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
December 24, 2012, 11:39:42 PM

More propaganda from the anarcho-capitalist cult of Stefan Molyneux...
FirstAscent

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 25, 2012, 02:19:42 AM
Last edit: December 25, 2012, 02:36:08 AM by FirstAscent

+1

They sure do love to shovel their shit back and forth, don't they? It just never ends.

IveBeenBit

Activity: 449
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 25, 2012, 02:42:45 AM

I really enjoy Stefan Molleneux's podcasts. He does a live show every Sunday and invites and encourages criticism of his ideas. If any of you have an argument of any substance that is critical of his opinions, please call into his show and debate him. You will be treated respectfully and given a chance to explain your position.

If you post on here comments like Stefan is a "cult leader" then I will have to assume that you lack the intellectual ability to engage in anything more meaningful than childish name calling.

Details on joining his Sunday show can be found at his website.
bitcoinspot.nl

Activity: 300

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2012, 05:55:22 AM

Yeah or check out his free books, theyre worth the read!

- bitcoinspot.nl - Alles over bitcoin! -
augustocroppo
VIP

View Profile
December 25, 2012, 04:55:23 PM

+1

They sure do love to shovel their shit back and forth, don't they? It just never ends.

Myrkul answering in behalf of his cult leader:

While its great that he wants to change the way we raise children by ensuring they get what they need, WHAT IS IT THAT THEY NEED? Stefan Molyneux never answered that.

If you can't answer that, telling you the answer may not help. I'll try anyway.

He says they are more "people" than you or I (this is exactly the same thing you said, by the way... that we've already been crushed, they have yet to be). This implies the answer, right there. Maybe you haven't guessed it yet, though.

They need to be treated like people. With respect, love, and kindness, the same as you would desire to be treated.

Rudd-O invoking his cult leader name in a list of writers:

Nobody else has any other problem with intangible rights being property.

There is an epistemological clusterfuck with the fragment "intangible rights being property".  It's unparsable for many reasons, so I'll attempt my best to try and parse this broken English.

If you meant that "intangibles can be property", then "Nobody else has any other problem" is false.  I know of at least four different people who "have a problem with" (that is to say, they have come up with refutations of) the belief that intangibles can be property:

1. Hans Hermann Hoppe
2. Stephan Kinsella
3. Wendy McElroy
4. Stefan Molyneux

Your move.

Runeks indicating his cult leader links with anarcho-capitalism:

I've read and heard a bit about the Zeitgeist Movement, and it always amounts to some ideals about what we "could" obtain if we just did this and that. They're really good at stating the "what", without answering the "how".

How do we apply all these ideals?

LightRider, you keep saying that humans being are deficient, that all we care about is profit. Does this include yourself, and if so, what are you doing to change that?

EDIT: Also, can some - point by point - explain the exact differences between Anarcho Capitalism and a Resource Based Economy, please?

EDIT2: For anyone interested in seeing Stefan Molyneux debate a ZM advocate, check out this video, starting at 42:08 (the link will take you to that time stamp in the video): http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=hxjwBZjADiM#t=2528s
Everything before that is fairly irrelevant to the discussion IMO.

Madhatter asking for donations to his cult leader:

Hello all,

I am starting a fundraiser for Stefan Molyneux / Freedomain Radio.

If you enjoy his commentary/videos/philosophy you can donate by sending your coins here:

19vhXH8her5oBsZGdnRy4AU7cJoJRMuk8u

(This is a mybitcoin account that I will hand over to him in 30 days).

Cheers!
The Madhatter

Snipes777 (Rudd-O's sockpuppet) praising his initiation in the cult:

Getting into philosophy and anarchism. Introduced by Stefan Molyneux ar freedomainradio.com, but then Adam Kokesh from Adam vs the Man and his new podcast has led to me getting into it much more intensely.

Myrkul recommending the holly words of his cult leader:

(...)

My second recommendation is Healing Our World - The Other Piece Of The Puzzle, by Mary J. Ruwart. My third suggestion is The New Libertarian Manifesto, By Samuel E. Konkin, III. As my fourth, and probably final, presentation, I offer up Universally Preferable Behaviour by Stefan Molyneux.

These books present a fairly broad cross-section of how libertarian beliefs have evolved over the years, and a firm basis on understanding my position.

I will update this post again when I have niemivh's second suggestion.

Update: The discussion over my first book suggestion has gone in an interesting direction. Those of you wishing to do more reading on that subject might want to read The Case for Discrimination and Defending the Undefendable, both by Walter Block. These aren't my next suggestion for the "book club", but some additional reading for those interested in the topic.

...and so far, Stefan Molyneux is cited up to 2010 in this forum by different users.

justusranvier (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 25, 2012, 05:05:03 PM

If you post on here comments like Stefan is a "cult leader" then I will have to assume that you lack the intellectual ability to engage in anything more meaningful than childish name calling.
Those kinds of attacks aren't surprising coming from people who are openly sociopathic and/or evil but it's surprising that he gets a lot of flack from the "old guard" Libertarians too.

I can't help but notice that while a lot of them have been pontificating from the safety of their think tanks Molyneux has actually been out in the trenches advancing the application of the NAP in real terms. I don't know of anyone else who can claim to have advanced libertarianism by convincing tens of thousands of parents to stop violating the non-aggression principle with regards to their children.

Maybe they're upset that Molyneux is actually getting results in the real world?
augustocroppo
VIP

View Profile
December 25, 2012, 05:15:10 PM
Last edit: December 25, 2012, 05:29:29 PM by augustocroppo

I really enjoy Stefan Molleneux's podcasts. He does a live show every Sunday and invites and encourages criticism of his ideas. If any of you have an argument of any substance that is critical of his opinions, please call into his show and debate him. You will be treated respectfully and given a chance to explain your position.

That is exactly how the cult system works. The leader creates a "temple", a place where the followers must gather often to keep up to date with the cult leader mindset. In this case, you are arrogantly inviting  the critics of the cult to visit the "temple" where the the cult leader have total control of the debate. This invitation is done as challenge, 'if any of you have an argument of any substance', disguised with a false sense of security, 'you will be treated respectfully and given a chance to explain'.

This obvious ad hominem, coming from who demanded arguments of any substance, it terrible funny!

Details on joining his Sunday show can be found at his website.

...and then, once more, the readers are invited to gather in the "temple"!
augustocroppo
VIP

View Profile
December 25, 2012, 05:28:21 PM

Those kinds of attacks aren't surprising coming from people who are openly sociopathic and/or evil but it's surprising that he gets a lot of flack from the "old guard" Libertarians too.

This is another typical behavior of cult followers. They like to accuse the critics as being 'sociopathic and/or evil', without present any meaningful evidence to substantiate the accusation.

I can't help but notice that while a lot of them have been pontificating from the safety of their think tanks Molyneux has actually been out in the trenches advancing the application of the NAP in real terms. I don't know of anyone else who can claim to have advanced libertarianism by convincing tens of thousands of parents to stop violating the non-aggression principle with regards to their children.

Maybe they're upset that Molyneux is actually getting results in the real world?

...and then, the cult leader is praised as the best! The cult leader is always put in a moral high ground by the cult followers.
FirstAscent

View Profile
December 25, 2012, 06:18:34 PM

That is exactly how the cult system works. The leader creates a "temple", a place where the followers must gather often to keep up to date with the cult leader mindset. In this case, you are arrogantly inviting  the critics of the cult to visit the "temple" where the the cult leader have total control of the debate. This invitation is done as challenge, 'if any of you have an argument of any substance', disguised with a false sense of security, 'you will be treated respectfully and given a chance to explain'.

That sounds exactly like Rush Limbaugh. And Alex Jones.
augustocroppo
VIP

View Profile
December 25, 2012, 08:09:18 PM

This is another typical behavior of cult followers. They like to accuse the critics as being 'sociopathic and/or evil', without present any meaningful evidence to substantiate the accusation.

All you did in this thread was assert the dude was a cult leader, and then fail to present any meaningful evidence to substantiate the accusation.

Did you miss post #7? There is some evidence.
bitcoinspot.nl

Activity: 300

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2012, 08:10:52 PM

@augustocroppo & @firstascent

I listen to him now and then and i like his philosophical idea's, the free market utopia side of his idea's i like less but you can learn something from everything. even if you dont fully agree.

What exactly is your problem with the work of stephan molyneux?, which things he says do you not like'?

- bitcoinspot.nl - Alles over bitcoin! -
VogueBlackheart

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 25, 2012, 09:40:34 PM

Haven't watched this yet, but am pretty familiar with Stephan's work. He's a smart, motivated, well-spoken fellow spreading ideas with extremely powerful philosophical support, as many ethicists will tell you. I can see how he'd rub some folks the wrong way, initially. In addition to communicating in the sometimes obtuse mode of a trained philosopher, he doesn't mince words regarding the conclusions of his ethics.

The inability to distinguish this from a cult is amusing. The childish (and I hate using that term as a pejorative) reactionism to these ideas by apologists for a society structured by violence is disappointing.

Recently, it seems a sort of alliance has begun to form, spanning techies, libertarian philosophers, Austrian economists, hackers, cryptographers, anarchists, activists, etc. As one excellent Blogdial post notes, these communities appear to be iterating toward libertarianism. Naturally, some members of individual communities will shun the new company of these other groups, but hopefully most will realize how much they have to learn from each other.

Note: Blogdial is a terribly awesome blog that is at least as intense and polemical and philosophically forthright as a Stephan Molyneux or a Richard Stallman. I recommend it. Stay thirsty, my friends! Merry Xmas!
justusranvier (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 25, 2012, 10:02:45 PM

these communities appear to be iterating toward libertarianism.
I think we can only ignore the obvious for long before the strain of cognitive dissonance becomes too much. I don't think government has more than a generation or perhaps two left before people no longer believe in it.
augustocroppo
VIP

View Profile
December 25, 2012, 10:21:58 PM

@augustocroppo & @firstascent

I listen to him now and then and i like his philosophical idea's, the free market utopia side of his idea's i like less but you can learn something from everything. even if you dont fully agree.

What exactly is your problem with the work of stephan molyneux?, which things he says do you not like'

Stephan Molyneux is a delusional sophist. The paper offered by him does not have one single reference to any another work. Thus, his philosophy is selfish and void. A true philosopher/scientist would base his works on the discoveries of other philosophers/scientists. Look at history, Aristotle, Kant, Cappra and Dawkins, etc. All these philosophers/scientists studied other philosophers/scientists to form their theories. They did not just decide that their own thinking was the only source for a 'universal preferred behavior'. Stephan Molyneux's ideology is a subversion of the scientific thought.

E.g.

The Fascists That Surround You - Part 2: Sociopaths
Stefan Molyneux· 1,072 videos

Subscribe

Published on 29 Nov 2012
What you call 'culture' is merely camouflage for sociopaths.

Freedomain Radio is the largest and most popular philosophy show on the web - http://www.freedomainradio.com

This is the kind of nonsense that Stephan Molyneux likes to produce to feed the cult mindset of his followers. It is this kind of intellectual idiocy which causes people to spread unnecessary and inaccurate information. He associates fascism, a historical political view, with sociopathy, a personality disorder. In other words, he  presumes that his assumptions are already confirmed by two scientific fields without being qualified for either.

A true sophist!

Notice the phrase 'what you call 'culture' is merely camouflage for sociopaths.'

This is completely akin to a paranoid mindset! Stephan Molyneux is suggesting that whatever anyone perceives as "the ideas, customs, and social behaviour of a particular people or society", that is just a trick to disguise people affected by a personality disorder.

His muppets, like justusranvier, come here and post this intellectual crap without providing any explanation at all. I challenged justusranvier to explain the relationship between a political regime and a personality disorder.

The answers:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=128492.40

In the videos you didn't watch, and in the listed sources you didn't read.

Roll Eyes Who the fuck are you to make demands? Look at the presented material or don't but in any case I'm not going to hand feed it to you just because you're acting like a scary Internet bully. If you don't care about the video content there's no reason for you to post in this thread.

I watched part 2 (sociopaths) today as I drove to work in my T/A.  It was a FANTASTIC video.  As usual, Stef hits it out of the ballpark.
Do you remember the part where he talks about how sociopaths respond to being unmasked?

So, what happened when I questioned him? Justusranvier...

...ignored the question and proceed to "force" me to watch the video (cult mindset, check, never answer complicated questions, redirect the enquirer to the cult leader).

..., after the second question, played the victim and suggested  to me to not participate in the thread (cult mindset, check, if the enquirer insists, play the victim and ask him/her to leave)

...suggested the people questioning the video title would be exactly the kind of people the video was warning about (cult mindset, check, tell the enquirer the cult leader already predicted that people would come and ask complicated questions)

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=131489.0

Child abusers can break a bone, but we would not call the child's broken bone an 'illness.'

Child abuse tends to break minds. The result is not mental illness, any more than a stab wound is a physical illness.

https://www.facebook.com/stefan.molyneux/posts/10151546940781679

Stephan Molyneux followers have been qualifying users which disagree with them as sociopaths. In the face of that, the above quote by Rudd-O is hilarious! Stephan Molyneux is a sophist, spreading misinformation in such way that his follower now think they are qualified professionals able to diagnose users in Internet forums or to assert that mental illness does not exist.

I do not dislike them, I have had plenty of fun reading these (almost brain dead) idiots spreading the holy word of Stephan Molyneux!

augustocroppo
VIP

View Profile
December 25, 2012, 10:32:34 PM

I recommend it. Stay thirsty, my friends! Merry Xmas!

Stay satiated people, that is it! Be careful with the "dehydration" of the mind!
augustocroppo
VIP

View Profile
December 25, 2012, 10:35:57 PM

these communities appear to be iterating toward libertarianism.
I think we can only ignore the obvious for long before the strain of cognitive dissonance becomes too much. I don't think government has more than a generation or perhaps two left before people no longer believe in it.

Prophecy (cult mindset, check, try to convince the enquirer with predictions of a terrible future).
augustocroppo
VIP

View Profile
December 26, 2012, 02:12:52 AM
Last edit: December 26, 2012, 02:33:04 AM by augustocroppo

Or how about this whopper:

(24:30)
"The purpose of philosophy has been in general to serve evil, and I'm attempting to wrestle it back from the evil pirate captain of yore..."
Yeah, yeah, because he's such a nice guy... Roll Eyes

Thank you blablahblah for the transcription. It made me laugh a lot! Just an idiot would state that 'purpose of philosophy has been in general to serve evil' and then praise itself as a popular source of philosophy in the Internet:

http://www.freedomainradio.com/free/books/FDR_2_PDF_UPB.pdf

Freedomain Radio is one of the most popular philosophy podcasts on the Internet, and was a Top 10 Finalist in the 2007 Podcast Awards.

Philosophy also – and human society in general – will advance exactly to the degree that it rejects the irrational “square-circle morality” of statist and religious ethical theories.

World population: 6,973,738,433

Freedomain Radio subscribers: 52,901

Stefan Molyneux have already convinced 0.000758574% of the human society that 'statist and religious ethical theories' will be rejected by the human society. So now he just needs to convince the another 99.999241426% of the human society to reject their 'statist and religious ethical theories'.
FirstAscent

View Profile
December 26, 2012, 02:16:21 AM
Last edit: December 26, 2012, 02:32:26 AM by FirstAscent

This charlatan actually thinks he's relevant (his logic is so bad): http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=uEFv4_OGY_o#t=143s

I typed his name (Stefan Molyneux) into Google, and the first additional word Google suggested was 'cult'. Interesting.

I listened a little further into the video link I posted. What a moron. I feel sorry for the people who get sucked into his blathering.

I loved this comment posted by a viewer below the idiot's video:

Re: "I believe that it's false because it's funded through violence."

So when I studied math at a state university, everything I learned was false because of state support?

Re: "Things which have innate value are not funded at the point of a gun."

So math & science, being supported by the university systems, have no innate value. OK. What of medicine? I live down the stret from NIH. Is all their cancer research, "funded at the point of a gun", devoid of innate value?

Your ideology is silly.
augustocroppo
VIP

View Profile
December 26, 2012, 03:46:21 PM

And now for something different -- a real treat! For everyone who wants to "think outside the square"...

primer on Kurt Gödel
Edit: I'm not a huge fan of god-bothering, but in general the article sheds a lot of light on things.

Good suggestion! I enjoyed the article. I just disagree with the word "God". Readers can confuse the meaning of "God" with the bible god, Jehovah. I would replace the word "God" with the word "deity" (or "deities").

For people really interested to learn where philosophy come from and why it will never reject the concept of the state, I recommend the old and classic Aristotle:

Miller, Fred, "Aristotle's Political Theory", The Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy (Fall 2012 Edition), Edward N. Zalta (ed.), http://plato.stanford.edu/archives/fall2012/entries/aristotle-politics/

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: