Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 06:55:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin will be at CES2013 (Official Thread)  (Read 36612 times)
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4396
Merit: 3062

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 08:17:37 AM

Bitpay: may I ask you, what sort of marijuana did you smoke advertising clients "No PCI Compliance"?

PCI DSS is an industry standard for securing websites.
No it isn't, it's an industry standard for securing credit card information, which is a major pain in the butt for merchants which Bitcoin completely eliminates. Not having to deal with the risk of identity theft and payment fraud and all the security concerns that go with it is basically the main selling point.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
lucif

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

Clown prophet

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 08:27:41 AM

Did you read it? Did you become compliant?

It standardize securing "sensitive data", which is CH data in case of cards, personal data in case of storing personal data and Bitcoin wallet and rpc connection in case of Bitcoin.

Btw, how Bitpay secures sensitive data?
Foxpup
Legendary

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 08:52:16 AM

Did you read it? Did you become compliant?

It standardize securing "sensitive data", which is CH data in case of cards, personal data in case of storing personal data and Bitcoin wallet and rpc connection in case of Bitcoin.
There is no sensitive customer data involved when using Bitcoin. A merchant's failure to secure their bitcoin wallet doesn't put their customers at risk in any way, and the PCI Council doesn't care if merchants lose their own money/data rather than their customers'. PCI compliance is totally unnecessary for a merchant that only accepts cash and bitcoins.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
lucif

Clown prophet

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 08:55:19 AM

There is no sensitive customer data involved when using Bitcoin. A merchant's failure to secure their bitcoin wallet doesn't put their customers at risk in any way, and the PCI Council doesn't care if merchants lose their own money/data rather than their customers'. PCI compliance is totally unnecessary for a merchant that only accepts cash and bitcoins.
Tell this bitcoinica owner, biplomat and others hehe.

I don't view on PCI DSS as at some bearucratic thing. I see it as a good set of security recommendations to keep sensitive data secure. What kind of data is it - is a second question. Either "very bad CC cards that were developed not for Internet use" or just bitcoin wallet with 50000 coins - who cares? Only owner.

And Bitpay says to customers: My dear! Fuck the security!
Foxpup
Legendary

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 09:15:38 AM

Tell this bitcoinica owner, biplomat and others hehe.
I said merchants, not exchanges. Exchanges have a metric fucktonne of regulations they are (or are supposed to be) complying with.

And Bitpay says to customers: My dear! Fuck the security!
They're not saying that at all. They're saying "Fuck paying $1000 a year or more to try to secure a system that was never secure in the first place."

lucif

Clown prophet

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 09:17:35 AM

Actually, $300 a year for ASV scan

Merchants require from regular customers only quarter ASV scan provided by someone like mcafee.

And for Bitcoin community this case of forcing security standards would be good. I wrote about it somewhere here.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 10:00:27 AM

Actually, $300 a year for ASV scan

Merchants require from regular customers only quarter ASV scan provided by someone like mcafee.

And for Bitcoin community this case of forcing security standards would be good. I wrote about it somewhere here.

I have a website. On my website I give customers a Bitcoin address to make payment. I keep the private key for this address on a QR code in a bank safety deposit box. How would PCI compliance benefit me or the customer in any way?

It wouldn't.  Once the uneducated learn their lessons and bitcion is done right there will be no way for a webserver breach to compromise anybodys finances.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
lucif

Clown prophet

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 10:01:18 AM

As i understood, this is offline payment - not about pci. Bah, also PCI case. As you store sensitive data in third party location. But this can be called compensation case.

Btw, customers database with personal data is also sensitive info.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 4532

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 12:40:43 PM

i guess butterfly havnt received the chips yet to start building asics

"we are eagerly awaiting them, as are many of you, im sure"

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Seth Otterstad

Activity: 328

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 09:25:02 PM

Someone please post video clips of what is happening in the booth! 

Also, could lucif get owned any harder in this thread? 

Seth Otterstad's Blog          @SethOtterstad on twitter          Seth on google+
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 08:09:14 AM

Bitpay: may I ask you, what sort of marijuana did you smoke advertising clients "No PCI Compliance"?

PCI DSS is an industry standard for securing websites.
No it isn't, it's an industry standard for securing credit card information, which is a major pain in the butt for merchants which Bitcoin completely eliminates. Not having to deal with the risk of identity theft and payment fraud and all the security concerns that go with it is basically the main selling point.

Interestingly, I can see both ends of this debate.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
Micon
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1014

FPV Drone Pilot

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2013, 09:04:12 AM

Here is what butterfly labs brought to CES.

2x $100 android devices, some cases for a product they can't demonstrate, and a box of fans that they say will 1 day contain ASIC chips and they sold 100's at 30k each but haven't ever made one.

Every search for bitcoin had a butterfly labs pre order ad. 

They are still desperately grasping for cash and not able to show 1 ASIC device mining @ CES?

when I questioned Dave about butterflylabs ability to produce ASIC chips he accused me of not believing in bitcoin which sounded to me like classic scammer talk

At this point I would stay away I got that bad feeling again. ...

I'm flying FPV race drones these days. Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/MiconFPV
MPOE-PR

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 09:24:18 AM

2x $100 android devices, some cases for a product they can't demonstrate, and a box of fans that they say will 1 day contain ASIC chips and they sold 100's at 30k each but haven't ever made one.

They are still desperately grasping for cash and not able to show 1 ASIC device mining @ CES?

when I questioned Dave about butterflylabs ability to produce ASIC chips he accused me of not believing in bitcoin which sounded to me like classic scammer talk

I thought the color choice for highlights is nice.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
lucif

Clown prophet

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 09:34:48 AM

MPOE-PR

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 10:15:42 AM

Holliday earlier, now this... dudes... I'm laughing so hard.

BTC delivers.

Micon
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1014

FPV Drone Pilot

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2013, 10:44:27 AM

1)  just made the jump from iOS to Android.  I heart this Galaxy Note 2 with all the heart I have left after most of it went to my sweet daughter born 12-27-12 name annamicon she will be hot like my wife and lead the group of crypto-activists we will grow for years from these grass roots.  All nerds worldwide will follow the hot annamicon (pronounced ah-nah-mah-con) (her name is Anna Micon)

2)  I am going to go sneak back into CES tomorrow (I will video tape the entrance with my galaxy note 2, which I see nerds staring at the device when I walk by, it's the biggest / newest phablet out there and those S3 users are a little jealous of my s-pen) and just get really good high quality video and upload it to youtube of exactly what the BFL setup is and let Dave introduce it.  My channel has reasonable following, so this is good advertising for them they should put on a good show.  Unfortunately I am going to video tape 3 cases, a box of fans, 2 $100 androids, and an FPGA that may or may not be mining and definitely isn't for sale from BFL.  Dave himself will explain the setup.  I will try my absolute hardest to just give a fact-based video recording of the BFL setup and give Dave ample time should he care to explain what it is they brought to CES. 

IMO this is epic.  You guys may have done it again, this time it's gonna be Pirate X 5 or so.   A new mark may be set $25M in, box of fans out so far.

I'm flying FPV race drones these days. Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/MiconFPV
MPOE-PR

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 12:51:11 PM

1)  just made the jump from iOS to Android.  I heart this Galaxy Note 2 with all the heart I have left after most of it went to my sweet daughter born 12-27-12 name annamicon she will be hot like my wife and lead the group of crypto-activists we will grow for years from these grass roots.  All nerds worldwide will follow the hot annamicon (pronounced ah-nah-mah-con) (her name is Anna Micon)

2)  I am going to go sneak back into CES tomorrow (I will video tape the entrance with my galaxy note 2, which I see nerds staring at the device when I walk by, it's the biggest / newest phablet out there and those S3 users are a little jealous of my s-pen) and just get really good high quality video and upload it to youtube of exactly what the BFL setup is and let Dave introduce it.  My channel has reasonable following, so this is good advertising for them they should put on a good show.  Unfortunately I am going to video tape 3 cases, a box of fans, 2 $100 androids, and an FPGA that may or may not be mining and definitely isn't for sale from BFL.  Dave himself will explain the setup.  I will try my absolute hardest to just give a fact-based video recording of the BFL setup and give Dave ample time should he care to explain what it is they brought to CES. 

IMO this is epic.  You guys may have done it again, this time it's gonna be Pirate X 5 or so.   A new mark may be set $25M in, box of fans out so far.

I'm quoting this just in case you want to read it later.

lucif

Clown prophet

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 12:51:31 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ERE4uiufqE

turn on subtitles
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 01:00:34 PM

Smiley

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
rjbtc

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 02:34:53 PM

I will mine 1000 BTC, and buy kidney back! Is good investment!

BTC: 1AYWtqieXoQZnuT4iEk6MDEXBkdVd5BykN
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: