Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:59:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 [127] 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 ... 345 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][XEL] Elastic Project - The Decentralized Supercomputer  (Read 450429 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Evil-Knievel
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1168

View Profile
November 15, 2016, 06:14:12 PM

Maybe we could vote in the client itself.

XEL holders can vote for or against using "any input" instead of just the first for redeeming the genesis block.
If >50% vote for yes, then this feature gets enabled for all those who did not vote "no". So, those who vote against that will definitely have their genesis block entry redeemeable only by the first input address.

What do you think? This seems "democratic" to me and everyone who does not want this feature, doesn't get it Wink

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
cyberhacker
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 15, 2016, 06:18:23 PM

XEL holders can vote for or against using "any input" instead of just the first for redeeming the genesis block.
If >50% vote for yes, then this feature gets enabled for all those who did not vote "no". So, those who vote against that will definitely have their genesis block entry redeemeable only by the first input address.

What do you think? This seems "democratic" to me and everyone who does not want this feature, doesn't get it Wink

i already saw my balance in genesis.

so i don't want any vote now.......

so the upcoming release will be the mainnet? we can redeem soon?
ImI
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1019

View Profile
November 15, 2016, 06:20:38 PM

Have to eat something, feeling like Homer at the moment.  Wink

Evil-Knievel
Legendary

View Profile
November 15, 2016, 06:29:57 PM

so the upcoming release will be the mainnet? we can redeem soon?

I think one more testnet, and if all goes smooth we're good to go!
In the last testnet we can test things like redeeming, new retargeting, etc.

Finally  Wink  I need to get a job, right now I am doing nothing else than Elastic living off my savings.

so i don't want any vote now.......

In the proposed scheme you could just ignore it, do not vote at all and simply redeem!  Wink
But i would be interested in what all the community members here think of that idea!
bitcoinpaul

Activity: 910

View Profile
November 15, 2016, 06:33:29 PM

Just hodl ur elastics  Grin

Finally  Wink  I need to get a job, right now I am doing nothing else than Elastic living off my savings.
wizzardTim
Legendary

Activity: 1708

Reality is stranger than fiction

View Profile
November 15, 2016, 06:39:38 PM

If the "any input" approach is helpful for some people who otherwise are going to have difficulty in redeeming, then it would be good if it is added imo.

Behold the Tangle Mysteries! Dare to know It's truth.

- Excerpt from the IOTA Sacred Texts Vol. I
bitcoinpaul

Activity: 910

View Profile
November 15, 2016, 06:41:28 PM

If the "any input" approach is helpful for some people who otherwise are going to have difficulty in redeeming, then it would be good if it is added imo.

indeed.
Evil-Knievel
Legendary

View Profile
November 15, 2016, 06:53:28 PM

Sounds ironic, but I hardly have any  Sad  I threw in less than 4 BTC in it. So if you will, I am working here exclusively for you guys!
cryptoboy.architect

Activity: 513
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 15, 2016, 06:55:46 PM

Sounds ironic, but I hardly have any  Sad  I threw in less than 4 BTC in it. So if you will, I am working here exclusively for you guys!

Well, I think we are all in agreement that a good chunk of the BTC donated should come your way, right? Who controls that? And why aren't they paying you?
ImI
Legendary

View Profile
November 15, 2016, 07:56:22 PM

Now you think:
Great, I donate 1000 BTC, and back up the private key 1ABCDEF...

Now, in fact your transaction is 1000.0001 BTC (because of the fee). BitcoinQT pulls in the dust from the change address as the first input and you are screwed if you missed creating a back up of 1DEADBEEF:

Hmm.. i always was under the impression that you have ONE private key that you can sign all the addresses in your wallet with. So lets say i backup my wallet.dat, then i should be able to sign all addresses that belong to that certain private key including the dust-adresses?
Ghoom

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 15, 2016, 08:02:51 PM

Now you think:

Now, in fact your transaction is 1000.0001 BTC (because of the fee). BitcoinQT pulls in the dust from the change address as the first input and you are screwed if you missed creating a back up of 1DEADBEEF:

Hmm.. i always was under the impression that you have ONE private key that you can sign all the addresses in your wallet with. So lets say i backup my wallet.dat, then i should be able to sign all addresses that belong to that certain private key including the dust-adresses?

You can list all adresses in yout wallet with "listaddressgroupings"

and show each private key with "dumpprivkey [your public key here]" command
ImI
Legendary

View Profile
November 15, 2016, 08:05:34 PM

Now you think:

ok, as i understand it we would have a problem if someone had not made a backup of his WHOLE wallet but instead just made a backup of ONE of his private keys, right?

Ghoom

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 15, 2016, 08:11:46 PM

Now you think:

ok, as i understand it we would have a problem if someone had not made a backup of his WHOLE wallet but instead just made a backup of ONE of his private keys, right?

yep
Redawn

Activity: 122
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 15, 2016, 08:20:44 PM

I want to update the XEL reddit thread.
Can some please tell me when we go live?
Also please reply some importants points regarding this project.

Thanks!
drays
Legendary

Activity: 2520
Merit: 1073

View Profile
November 15, 2016, 09:44:21 PM

Why to vote? Smiley

I mean why not to enable that behavior for all the donations by default? It will allow some users to redeem, who otherwise will not be able to do that.
So there are benefits of having that feature ("redeem using any input address").

Lets now think what are the possible drawbacks of that approach. I can see only one: it could create some hypothetical security hole - if coins were sent from online wallets, where some of the keys belong to the online wallet owners, it is possible that online wallet owners will redeem the coins and steal them that way... Is this correct..?
Is there any other drawback?

And... am I thinking in the right direction here...?

... this space is not for rent ...
ttookk

Activity: 994
Merit: 513

View Profile
November 15, 2016, 09:53:36 PM

Sounds ironic, but I hardly have any  Sad  I threw in less than 4 BTC in it. So if you will, I am working here exclusively for you guys!

Less than 4 BTC… Hardly any… I don't even own 4 BTC. My donation is just a tad above the minimum required, actually.
Evil-Knievel
Legendary

View Profile
November 15, 2016, 09:59:54 PM

Why to vote? Smiley

I mean why not to enable that behavior for all the donations by default? It will allow some users to redeem, who otherwise will not be able to do that.
So there are benefits of having that feature ("redeem using any input address").

Lets now think what are the possible drawbacks of that approach. I can see only one: it could create some hypothetical security hole - if coins were sent from online wallets, where some of the keys belong to the online wallet owners, it is possible that online wallet owners will redeem the coins and steal them that way... Is this correct..?

What you describe would not happen in reality I think. The only wallets I know of are those, who use multisig-wallets to send the funds from. Multisig wallets are those starting with a 3....

The real drawback of this approach would be only if something like that happened:

1. Someone donated 100 BTC from his QT wallet.
2. The money came from 10 different addresses in one transaction
3. The first input is his "main wallet". Absolutely correct and he keeps this private key secretly
4. As the other wallets of his are empty, he posts the private key to one of the other addresses in some public online forum, in an example python script that he posts. I mean hey, he wasnt aware of the change that we are discussing.
5. Everyone can redeem his XEL
ImI
Legendary

View Profile
November 15, 2016, 11:06:44 PM

Why to vote? Smiley

What you describe would not happen in reality I think. The only wallets I know of are those, who use multisig-wallets to send the funds from. Multisig wallets are those starting with a 3....

The real drawback of this approach would be only if something like that happened:

3. The first input is his "main wallet". Absolutely correct and he keeps this private key secretly
4. As the other wallets of his are empty, he posts the private key to one of the other addresses in some public online forum, in an example python script that he posts. I mean hey, he wasnt aware of the change that we are discussing.

Hmm....proposal: Stick to the terms, give out the XEL that were redeemed correctly and then (after a period of time) reconsider again. Eventually (after there is no conflict with another person) release the XEL.

From a legal perspective its obv safe to just stay to the terms conditions and not pay out those funds, which maybe less then 0.1% eventually anyways.
ttookk

Activity: 994
Merit: 513

View Profile
November 15, 2016, 11:13:07 PM

Why to vote? Smiley

Well, that sounds unlikely, but if it would happen, it could lead to a lot of trouble, not only for the person affected, but also for the person he_she is suing, which would be who exactly? The person who published the code, the one who wrote it? I'm not sure, whether that person could point towards an online vote and say "I just followed orders".

With that in mind, I think deciding on this in a democratic way holds the risk, that there wouldn't be a risk for those voting, but there could be a risk for a person or a small group of persons who execute the vote.

I'm no legal expert, so what I described has to be taken with a grain of salt, but if we assume, that in the end, the responsibility lies by only some people, as opposed to lying by the XEL community as a whole, those people should be the ones deciding.

I'd say, don't change it, and create some kind of repeal form. People can check their donation BEFORE distribution, if something is wrong, they can contact  you, Lannister or someone else to fix it.
drays
Legendary

Activity: 2520
Merit: 1073

View Profile
November 15, 2016, 11:30:28 PM

Why to vote? Smiley

Taking all this into account, I would join previous posters and suggest to stick to the terms and do not do a poll at all.

There are two dangerous points here:
1. The owner of the priv key of first wallet, could not be checking here or the official channels, and be absent for long time. So we could miss the vote easily. Thus he will not tell "no" and his coins can be redeemed by the users of the published python script Smiley
2. Someone ( a tricky one) could intentionally "miss" the vote, then redeem the coins using his address 2, then come here and claim his coins were stolen due to this vote, which he was not even aware of (as he was at Bahamas), and claim this was illegal, and he has to get his coins now. A dirty scenario, but we have all kinds of people in crypto, so it is possible.

To avoid all those complications, I suppose its better to stick to the terms, launch without that feature, and see if there is a problem at all. If there is, resolve manually case by case, for example the way ImI suggested.

... this space is not for rent ...
Pages: « 1 ... 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 [127] 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 ... 345 »
  Print  

Jump to: