Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 02:13:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 [167] 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 ... 345 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][XEL] Elastic Project - The Decentralized Supercomputer  (Read 450435 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
HomoHenning

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 14, 2017, 07:54:48 PM

anyone contact some Chinese exchange platform?

or we should ask poloniex list it. Smiley

elastic is far more better than that hype golem..

working software is our priority.

Exchanges is coming sooner or later.
right we should wait for a working mainnet + website+ marketing (cointelegraph and other news sites) and then we should do a exchange listing.
because this would maximize the first valuation at echanges and the benefits for early investors like augur did

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
trader19
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2017, 07:56:51 PM

Status Update:
I will be finished with all my open todos by the last day of January. It might happen that, meanwhile, new TODOs pop up though. Yet, at this moment, I would say we would have a finished product by then.

Great ek, xel is immeasurable
great update, xel is fantastic.

Join the Elastic revolution!  Elastic - The Decentralized Supercomputer
ELASTIC WEBSITE | NEW ANNOUNCEMENT THREAD | ELASTIC SLACK | ELASTIC FORUM
ImI
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1019

View Profile
January 14, 2017, 08:07:49 PM

anyone contact some Chinese exchange platform?

or we should ask poloniex list it. Smiley

elastic is far more better than that hype golem..

working software is our priority.

Exchanges is coming sooner or later.
right we should wait for a working mainnet + website+ marketing (cointelegraph and other news sites) and then we should do a exchange listing.
because this would maximize the first valuation at echanges and the benefits for early investors like augur did

To me Augur is no positive example, since they launched at exchanges their price went nowhere but down. I would much prefer the opposite, start small and get a better valuation step by step.

But like its been said, first mainnet then the rest.
coralreefer

Activity: 464
Merit: 260

View Profile
January 14, 2017, 09:09:35 PM

To me Augur is no positive example, since they launched at exchanges their price went nowhere but down. I would much prefer the opposite, start small and get a better valuation step by step.

I completely agree.  I don't have much invested so whether the price goes up or down doesn't really affect me.  But this isn't about making a profit.  Elastic is a very complicated system.  EK and I will do our best to deliver a fully functional bug free system, but we all know how software development is...there will always be something that got overlooked, etc.

Starting small means we can work through these growing pains without getting caught up in all this P&D madness....there are plenty of other coins for people to play that game with....let's leave Elastic out of that.
teletobi

Activity: 734

View Profile
January 14, 2017, 09:36:09 PM

I completely agree.  I don't have much invested so whether the price goes up or down doesn't really affect me.  But this isn't about making a profit.  Elastic is a very complicated system.  EK and I will do our best to deliver a fully functional bug free system, but we all know how software development is...there will always be something that got overlooked, etc.

Starting small means we can work through these growing pains without getting caught up in all this P&D madness....there are plenty of other coins for people to play that game with....let's leave Elastic out of that.

That's wise words! I love this Thread for its peacefulness, it's kind of gemütlich here! We don't need another P&D Coin. Give Elastic time to grow and mature.

Join the Elastic revolution!  Elastic - The Decentralized Supercomputer
ELASTIC WEBSITE | NEW ANNOUNCEMENT THREAD | ELASTIC SLACK | ELASTIC FORUM
beyinsi

Activity: 742
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 14, 2017, 10:29:42 PM

anyone help for to build xelsite? i am not sure, i havnt got big free time for working on it. maybe someone design a new website.

The Difficulty is contents and graphics. i think ethereum.org's contents and graphics are so informative.

those titles are enough for elastic

HOW IT WORKS
FEATURES
TECHNOLOGY
WIKI (we can link to elastic-project.com)

@coralreefer, if u have time, Can u prepare a document about "How elastic works?" for normal pc users and investors.. like "for dummies".. maybe a short document with With drawn graphics and schemas.. later, we can create/draw graphics on sketch.

beyinsi

View Profile
January 14, 2017, 10:45:55 PM

wow! i didnt see it before

https://golem.network/alpha.html

golem have "BLENDER RENDERING" feature. its very important... Sad

EK? is it possible for elastic?
Evil-Knievel
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1168

View Profile
January 14, 2017, 10:52:15 PM

Why is it important? Of course Blender Rendering is not possible without "trust", the only way to verify a correct rendering in a trustless system is by rendering it entirely and comparing the outputs. This is far from practical.

If you want to have blender rendering anyway, you have to "trust" or do some error-prone greedy verification by just verifying a little portion of the rendered image. I am sure everyone sees immediately at least 3 ways how to exploit such a system.

So, sure, we have an open system and anyone can try to program a rendering function into Elastic, but since I am absolutely sure that it is not going to work (both in Elastic and in Golem) I will not do it  Grin
coralreefer

View Profile
January 14, 2017, 10:54:43 PM

@coralreefer, if u have time, Can u prepare a document about "How elastic works?" for normal pc users and investors.. like "for dummies".. maybe a short document with With drawn graphics and schemas.. later, we can create/draw graphics on sketch.

Unfortunately, I don't have any free time to work on marketing.  As I have said before, I'm about to wrap up my work on Elastic as I need to go focus on other priorities.

However, I already sent this to another guy who said he was going to create a website and wanted to know how Elastic works.  I'm not sure who created it...I'm guessing Lannister or EK...but the first half of the video gives a good high level overview.

http://thecryptoworld.org/elastic-project-decentralized-supercomputer

beyinsi

View Profile
January 14, 2017, 10:55:07 PM

Why is it important? Of course Blender Rendering is not possible without "trust", the only way to verify a correct rendering in a trustless system is by rendering it entirely and comparing the outputs. This is far from practical.

If you want to have blender rendering anyway, you have to "trust" or do some error-prone greedy verification by just verifying a little portion of the rendered image. I am sure everyone sees immediately at least 3 ways how to exploit such a system.

So, sure, we have an open system and anyone can try to program a rendering function into Elastic, but since I am absolutely sure that it is not going to work (both in Elastic and in Golem) I will not do it  Grin

Grin if u say "it is not going to work", i trust u. OK.
cyberhacker
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 15, 2017, 02:15:48 AM

exited.

so what is the real world usage for EK at the very beginning?

Mining bitcoin and altcoin? scientific computation?
coralreefer

View Profile
January 15, 2017, 02:26:05 AM

I'm sure EK has his vision for Elastic, but I don't personally feel Elastic will work for mining any other coins.  Although it's more than capable of mining a block, each time the coins network updates it's block info, a new job would have to be submitted to Elastic....which would cause us to lag that blockchain considerably.

I would think the primary usage would be around scientific computation...solving complex problems that can be modeled in code.

Unlike EK, I'm still not convinced Elastic can't be used for rendering...I think we could come up with a model to support it, but that's not my call.

Recently, I saw a post about cracking passwords.  I truly hope that Elastic won't be use for such purposes although it's more than capable of that.  It's probably the main reason I'm leaving.  I feel we've created a powerful system, but I really don't want to be part of something used for such negative purposes.  When I started working on this, I saw the potential to help the scientific community.
beyinsi

View Profile
January 15, 2017, 02:49:19 AM
Last edit: January 15, 2017, 03:03:59 AM by beyinsi

Recently, I saw a post about cracking passwords.  I truly hope that Elastic won't be use for such purposes although it's more than capable of that.  It's probably the main reason I'm leaving.  I feel we've created a powerful system, but I really don't want to be part of something used for such negative purposes.  When I started working on this, I saw the potential to help the scientific community.

screenshot from: https://z.cash/blog/helloworld.html

@coralreefer, I respect your thought... but I think that Zooko's thought is more appropriate.

...about cracking passwords
this feature may not be used for such negative purposes. A man who lose/forgot his password. What will he do? Maybe this password was protecting all his life. Yes, this is very optimistic situation, but its possible...
Bgjjj2016

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

Ben2016

View Profile
January 15, 2017, 03:55:15 AM

I'm sure EK has his vision for Elastic, but I don't personally feel Elastic will work for mining any other coins.  Although it's more than capable of mining a block, each time the coins network updates it's block info, a new job would have to be submitted to Elastic....which would cause us to lag that blockchain considerably.

I would think the primary usage would be around scientific computation...solving complex problems that can be modeled in code.

Unlike EK, I'm still not convinced Elastic can't be used for rendering...I think we could come up with a model to support it, but that's not my call.

Are you leaving this project ? I hope I misunderstood.

My " I want that Old Toyota Camry very bad" BTC Fund :1DQU4oqmZRcKSzg7MjPLMuHrMwnbDdjQRM
Join the Elastic revolution! Elastic Network: The Decentralized Supercomputer 
ELASTIC WEBSITE|ANNOUNCEMENT THREAD|JOIN THE SLACK
Riseman

Activity: 690

View Profile
January 15, 2017, 05:51:06 AM

I'm sure you have your reasons but Elastic is not something special in this regard. Almost every single modern tech can be used to help bad guys achieve their goals. What really matters is how much good this particular tech can do in comparison. Bitcoin itself is a good example of such controversy.
provenceday
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 15, 2017, 05:56:09 AM

I'm sure you have your reasons but Elastic is not something special in this regard. Almost every single modern tech can be used to help bad guys achieve their goals. What really matters is how much good this particular tech can do in comparison. Bitcoin itself is a good example of such controversy.

controversy is normal in life and in society.
i hope coralreefer can still stay in the project.
we can have a donation XEL fund for future developers.
that's gonna be a long term incentive for developers.
anyway, i can see this coin will have a marketcap more than 7000BTC, at least like Siacoin and will go bigger than golem for sure.
Alohaboy?!

Activity: 1050
Merit: 506

View Profile
January 15, 2017, 09:34:16 PM

For what kind of scientific computation can it be used at the beginning?

I´m not a coder at all, so I don´t really unterstand all the background but since I´m working in the research sector this is really interesting for me.
Would it be possible to write a program which is working like the one from folding@home ?
So to test specific combinations of protein conformations?

Riseman

Activity: 690

View Profile
January 15, 2017, 10:08:01 PM

For what kind of scientific computation can it be used at the beginning?

I´m not a coder at all, so I don´t really unterstand all the background but since I´m working in the research sector this is really interesting for me.
Would it be possible to write a program which is working like the one from folding@home ?
So to test specific combinations of protein conformations?

Actually a working F@H client would be a good marketing idea if it is possible to implement. Unlike block hashes in crypto, folding jobs have quite long deadline times. So if such a thing would be available at launch or somewhere on the roadmap, it could attract some attention from F@H users and the scientific community. Not just the crypto investors echo chamber.
drays
Legendary

Activity: 2520
Merit: 1073

View Profile
January 15, 2017, 10:12:25 PM
Last edit: January 15, 2017, 10:29:20 PM by drays

Sure. But why only "modern tech"? Smiley

Going by the citation from beyinsi's post and continuing it: Bad guys use cars, bad guys use hammers, bad guys use pens, bad guys use books, they use pretty much everything good people use! Smiley They use wheel after all, so what? Should the one who invented the wheel, go and shoot himself (well, I should have told - "beat himself with stones", given the state of technology at that time Smiley?

BTW, the scientific community you tell about - they also work on some tech, which could be used with bad intentions too. If we take such concerns seriously, we should stop any kind of scientific research, and either shoot all scientists or send them to far countryside to grow potatoes and other vegetables.

So, with all the due respect, coralreefer, your concerns above cannot be serious. I had similar concerns when I started in university, but then I realized its not the tech, its the people who use it. There could be some exceptions (like making weapons of mass destruction is probably immoral by any criteria), but Elastic is not like that.

... this space is not for rent ...
coralreefer

View Profile
January 15, 2017, 11:50:55 PM

So, with all the due respect, coralreefer, your concerns above cannot be serious.

I just haven't been able to come up with any other reason why ElasticPL needs built in crypto functions...what other use would they serve?  I would prefer if they weren't there at all.
Pages: « 1 ... 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 [167] 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 ... 345 »
  Print  

Jump to: