Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 02:31:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you think the rally is over now... or very soon?  (Read 15977 times)
Bit_Happy (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 06:52:44 AM
Last edit: March 01, 2013, 08:10:32 AM by Bit_Happy

Edit:
Have you 'thanked' a skeptic today?
A market with some signs of balance is much healthier than a situation with clearly excessive exuberance (i.e. Early June 2011)
</Edit >

The chart below shows the current total value of all BTC that have been produced (sometimes called "market capitalization")
Please look closely at what happened last time the value shot up so fast.
Common sense tells us the current rally is over, sorry.

Please sell your BTC at the nearest exchange and wait for a much lower price.  Cheesy

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Gatekeeper

Activity: 358
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 07:01:50 AM

if your entire analysis is based on "look what happened last time" then i think it's you that has no common sense.

(1470) <KLYE> But I was far too drunk to fuck a midget
(1470) <KLYE> I will fuck a chicken for 250 btc
Bit_Happy (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 07:08:07 AM

if your entire analysis is based on "look what happened last time"...

I did say ".. or very soon."

• "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" ~George Santayana
  • Plus other factors, like Irrational Exuberance in the community*

*Some of which is very fun and I have participated in.

bitcon
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1008

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 07:20:05 AM

my chart analysis spreadsheet tells me that at current hashrate, and news that TV star Bob Saget is soon investing in a large amount of coins; BTC is undervalued by at least $15.
Luno

Activity: 504

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 07:20:54 AM

Don't base you trading strategy on what you think will happen. You will be wrong more often than not.
Gatekeeper

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 07:33:34 AM

• "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" ~George Santayana

It doesn't matter, your entire argument is "look what happened last time" which is totally ridiculous.

goxed
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1006

Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 07:39:05 AM

Sold my BTC Thanks for the heads-up.  Tongue

Revewing Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.
Bit_Happy (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 07:41:47 AM
Last edit: February 28, 2013, 09:09:47 PM by Bit_Happy

• Please post any chart from ANY financial market in modern or ancient history that shows a massive, dramatic upward spike without a sharp correction.

Good luck finding one.

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 07:45:13 AM

That was then.  This is now.

The market can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent [betting against it].

One thing is certain -- without there being plenty of convenient and secure methods to "go short" bitcoin, the longer the exchange rate goes up at this pace the sharper the selloff when one comes.   The total valuation (which some refer to using the misnomer "market cap") of $300+ million exceeds by a wide margin the amount actually needed to support the level of BTC transactions that are seen on the blockchain today.  

And looking at the exchange trading volume, the current levels are triple what they were in 4Q 2012.  If that isn't sustained, there could easily be a sharp pullback.

- http://bitcoincharts.com/charts/mtgoxUSD#rg360zigWeeklyzm1g10zm2g25zvzcv

Or this is the new normal and there's more upside to come.  Who knows?

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 07:46:30 AM

I'm a long-term bull. I started buying in 2011 and have continued to buy throughout, including this month.

I acknowledge the possibility of a crash/correction of up to 50% when this rally stops. But I'm still buying.

What bears must acknowledge is that Bitcoin 2013 is not Bitcoin 2011. Implying that the current spike is going to lead to a similar 90%+ lasting crash simply due to chart patterns represents some pretty surface level thinking.

Bitcoin has made great strides in the last year and a half, including:

1) More security (hashrate), and about to get 10x+ more secure due to ASIC deployment.
2) Far more professionalism in the ecosystem in general, and in 3rd party services in particular.
3) Development and understanding of best-practices with respect to how to handle bitcoin, in terms of online wallets, offline wallets, cold storage, etc.
4) Far more merchant adoption (just ask BitPay).
5) Traditional venture capital is now dipping their feet in the water.
6) More professionals and technologists from other industries are now focusing on bitcoin. Observe the bitcoin2013 speaker/panalist list.
7) Services such as SatoshiDice show a use-case that isn't possible without bitcoin, and gambling looks set to become bitcoin's first high-volume general use-case.
8.) Bitcoin acceptance announcements from top sites including Wordpress.com, Reddit.com, and Mega
9) More startups and serious entrepreneurs investing their time, energy, and creativity into bitcoin.
10) Huge improvement in the quality of the mainstream media attention given to bitcoin.
11) Another 18 months of successfully processing transactions without any fundamental protocol failure.

Don't forget that the fall from $32 in 2011 was triggered by a hack at Gox, which was followed by a nasty series of hacks and scams that was able to happen due to widespread ignorance and naivety in the bitcoin ecosystem in general. Bitcoin has grown up to a large degree since then, and I posit that we're over the era of easy hacks and scams that killed confidence for a year. During that time, the core ecosystem was quietly gaining the strength and professionalism that's finally being acknowledged today.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
Nesetalis

Activity: 420

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 07:54:35 AM

"up to 50%" I think you are being irrational here. I can expect a crash of up to 95%.
We went from $31 to $2 before, another crash like that could happen again, it could be even more drastic.. Will it? I don't know, but pretending that 50% is the floor is foolish.

ZOMG Moo!
Melbustus
Legendary

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 07:56:15 AM

"up to 50%" I think you are being irrational here. I can expect a crash of up to 95%.
We went from $31 to $2 before, another crash like that could happen again, it could be even more drastic.. Will it? I don't know, but pretending that 50% is the floor is foolish.

I think I was fairly explicit about the differences between 2011 and 2013 which lead me to the conclusion that a crash wouldn't be nearly as bad.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
Nesetalis

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 08:01:59 AM

You made your case, and I think its foolish. Simple as that.
It took us 2 months to climb from ~10 to ~30 it could easily drop back to ~10 in a moment.. or it might continue upward.

Any currency can crash drastically and the trading pool isn't so deep as to protect bitcoin from this fact.

ZOMG Moo!
Melbustus
Legendary

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 08:03:20 AM

You made your case, and I think its foolish. Simple as that.

Fair enough.

zby
Legendary

Activity: 1592
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 10:06:31 AM

The chart below shows the current total value of all BTC that have been produced (sometimes called "market capitalization")

Please sell your BTC at the nearest exchange and wait for a much lower price.  Cheesy
Assuming that the two boom patterns should be similar (i.e. the whole thing be a fractal) - then the second is still very far from the top, it still might grow maybe 10 times. 
Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2013, 10:55:57 AM

Assuming that the two boom patterns should be similar (i.e. the whole thing be a fractal) - then the second is still very far from the top, it still might grow maybe 10 times.

Exactly. In my opinion the current situation is at most a "small bubble", meaning that there can be a correction, but it's unlikely to be a deep one. To experience a "massive bubble" we would need to see the all time high broken and then panic buys from there. That is the point when it's smart to become skeptical.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
phatsphere

Activity: 763
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 10:58:54 AM

The last time "this happened" was the ramp up before the $15 spike in Sept/Oct (?) 2012 ... starting at Jul'12. Hence, what you tell us is that it will top out, retrace roughly 25%, and build an upper triangle and breakout again. From that, I can't follow your "sell now" logic.
KTE

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 11:09:32 AM

You're being just as irrational. Why not 99%? 100%? 97%? You guys are just throwing in numbers out of your head with relation to any data. If you're saying that the last crash was the absolute maximum, you should have a reason why.

You guys should just stick to saying that a crash is possible and not try to be any more exact since you can't, credibly.
piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176

Borsche

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 11:22:57 AM

You're being just as irrational. Why not 99%? 100%? 97%? You guys are just throwing in numbers out of your head with relation to any data. If you're saying that the last crash was the absolute maximum, you should have a reason why.

You guys should just stick to saying that a crash is possible and not try to be any more exact since you can't, credibly.

KTE but he has a solid understanding of fundamentals don't you know Smiley  Quoting from another thread:

c'mon price.. drop back down to maybe 10 or 20$... I wanna buy some more cheaply!

i am satoshi
Rothgar

Activity: 374

Tune in to Neocash Radio

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2013, 12:42:10 PM

Visit http://neocashradio.com for the premier weekly bitcoin podcast.
Follow neocashradio on twitter.  https://twitter.com/NeocashRadio
Mjbmonetarymetals
Legendary

Activity: 1096
Merit: 1067

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 01:18:52 PM

Anyone for Tea?

Bitrated user: Mick.
Crypt_Current

Activity: 686

Shame on everything; regret nothing.

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 01:21:04 PM

my chart analysis spreadsheet tells me that at current hashrate, and news that TV star Bob Saget is soon investing in a large amount of coins; BTC is undervalued by at least $15.

Saget is one of my favorite comedians -- I met him twice!  Do you have a link / source for this rumor?

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT
Gatekeeper

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 01:42:24 PM

I think the cup and handle will be true here. There will be pressure at $30 and again at the old high. I feel like we will "reach up" to break the old high by a tiny amount, mainly from the excitement of being able to achieve it, before falling back to the $25 range after a sell off, $20 at worst but then things will settle and we will climb back up and be much stronger in breaking the $30/$32 barriers. Once we clear $32 i really think that it will become the new bottom and a key indicator as to how things are going. I wouldn't be surprised to see us settle in the $35-$40 range within a couple of months with a strong barrier at $32 and $30

matthewh3
Legendary

Activity: 1372

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2013, 01:50:36 PM

The gradient is not as steep on the second curve so if it is correlation we haven't even properly started the bubble yet but I agree with the above post correlation and causation are different things.

mccorvic

Activity: 518

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 01:57:09 PM

Posting in another "bad bear with a bad chart" thread.

Offering Video/Audio Editing Services since 2011 - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77932.0
chmod755
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1020

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2013, 01:57:38 PM

Sorry to inform you, that I'm just going to buy some more bitcoins in case there's a major correction so your trading strategy might fail. Thank you for your understanding and good luck with this.

BlackBison

Activity: 250

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 02:07:03 PM

Agreed. See my post here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=144586.msg1534317#msg1534317

ninjaboon
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2013, 02:21:20 PM

Excellent summary and I agree totally. I foresee some Bitcoin related startups coming online in 2013 for Asia side and once that happens, the BTC price will even hit USD 100 and beyond.

I'm a long-term bull. I started buying in 2011 and have continued to buy throughout, including this month.
Bitcoin has made great strides in the last year and a half, including:

1) More security (hashrate), and about to get 10x+ more secure due to ASIC deployment.
2) Far more professionalism in the ecosystem in general, and in 3rd party services in particular.
3) Development and understanding of best-practices with respect to how to handle bitcoin, in terms of online wallets, offline wallets, cold storage, etc.
4) Far more merchant adoption (just ask BitPay).
5) Traditional venture capital is now dipping their feet in the water.
6) More professionals and technologists from other industries are now focusing on bitcoin. Observe the bitcoin2013 speaker/panalist list.
7) Services such as SatoshiDice show a use-case that isn't possible without bitcoin, and gambling looks set to become bitcoin's first high-volume general use-case.
8.) Bitcoin acceptance announcements from top sites including Wordpress.com, Reddit.com, and Mega
9) More startups and serious entrepreneurs investing their time, energy, and creativity into bitcoin.
10) Huge improvement in the quality of the mainstream media attention given to bitcoin.
11) Another 18 months of successfully processing transactions without any fundamental protocol failure.

SaintFlow

Activity: 476

The first is by definition not flawed.

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 02:36:25 PM

your argument is invalid because it postulates common sense which is neither common nor does sense apply on the internet

don't let me make you question your assumptions
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 02:38:07 PM

Saget is one of my favorite comedians -- I met him twice!  Do you have a link / source for this rumor?

Yeah I'd like to hear more about this too.

Speaking of celebrities investing in Bitcoin.   Remember the Good Wife episode?   I'd bet 10:1 that Cramer started dabbling in Bitcoin way back then.

As goofy as he can be,  he's not stupid.   His appearance alone was a big bull signal to me at the time.
humanitee

Activity: 1302
Merit: 502

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 02:49:06 PM

Copying this from the wall thread, it belongs here.

THEN: Fast, from less than $5 to the all time high in a month. Whimsical, silly times.

NOW: Slow (comparatively), from around $10 to the current price in 4 months. Solid, like my dick. Green metropolis w/ consistently higher volume.

Hence, your argument == invalid.

▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
▄███▀▀▀▀▀████▄▄ █▄▄
▄▄          ▀▀████▄  ██▄
█████▄            ▀█████  ██▄
▄█████████           ▀█████ ███▄
▄█████████▀▀           ▀█████ ███▄
▄███  █████             ▀█████ ████
███  █████                █████ ████
███ █████                  ████  ████
███ █████                ▄████  ████
███ █████                ███████████
▀██ █████▄                █████████
▀██ ██████▄                ▀█████
▀██ ███████                  ▀▀▀
▀██ ██████▄▄                 
▀██ ██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
▀▀ █████████████████▀
▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀

Fast, Secure, and Fully

DecentralizeTrading
BACKED BY:
─────────────────────────
BINANCE
─────── LAB
&█████████████████████████████████ █  ███
█▀    ▀█  ███▀▀▀▀▀████████  ████▀▀███▀ █
█  █████    ▄▄▄▄▄  █  ▀  █    ███  █  ██
█▄    ▀█  ██       █  ▄███  ██████   ███
█████  █  ██  ███  █  ████  ████  ▄  ███
█▄    ▄█▄  ▄█▄     ▀  ████▄  ▄█   ██  ██
████████████████████████████████████████

Whitepaper
 Medium
Reddit
DoomDumas
Legendary

Activity: 1002
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 03:07:28 PM

Eh, IIRC, you ask with a "please", this sounds to me like you're buying, and dont want to buy too high, so you try to influence some to sell, so you'll be able to buy under 30 $

- Busted Wink
mccorvic

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 03:15:23 PM

Hence, your argument == invalid.

But humanitee! He's a bear with a chart! How could he possibly be wrong! A chart, I say, a CHART!

Offering Video/Audio Editing Services since 2011 - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77932.0
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 03:21:26 PM

my arbitrary number is better than yours.  Lips sealed

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Vandroiy
Legendary

Activity: 1036

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 03:27:23 PM

One thing is certain -- without there being plenty of convenient and secure methods to "go short" bitcoin, the longer the exchange rate goes up at this pace the sharper the selloff when one comes.   The total valuation (which some refer to using the misnomer "market cap") of $300+ million exceeds by a wide margin the amount actually needed to support the level of BTC transactions that are seen on the blockchain today.  

I think this point is important. A mega rally on top of a mega rally is unstable. The higher it goes at such speeds, the less stable it is.

On top of that, there are newcomer speculators who jump on high prices with the reasoning "it's going up!!!!". Those add to instability, 'cause they'll need no more reason than "it's going down!!!!" to dump their coins in any situation.

@humanitee:

Comparing to the earlier Bitcoin spike is no decent argument because our current rise is still fast even for a bubble. The 2011 one was an example for a bubble at once-in-a-lifetime speed. Our current rise is not slow and quite a typical speed for bubble danger.

Now I'm not saying I know the future, but using this graph comparison as an argument for stability is wrong.
RodeoX
Legendary

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 03:32:22 PM

... On top of that, there are newcomer speculators who jump on high prices with the reasoning "it's going up!!!!". Those add to instability, 'cause they'll need no more reason than "it's going down!!!!" to dump their coins in any situation.
Fingers crossed! I would love to see a panic sell off. Of course when the price goes back up the forum will be full of broke crybabies.

DoomDumas
Legendary

Activity: 1002

Bitcoin

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 03:40:15 PM

I wont wait any sort of correction to buy.  I've 500$ that will be availlable within 24h, and I'll buy at market price asap.

Did I mentioned I beleive in BTC @ 100 by the end of 2013 ?
mccorvic

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 03:40:33 PM

... On top of that, there are newcomer speculators who jump on high prices with the reasoning "it's going up!!!!". Those add to instability, 'cause they'll need no more reason than "it's going down!!!!" to dump their coins in any situation.
Fingers crossed! I would love to see a panic sell off. Of course when the price goes back up the forum will be full of broke crybabies.

It's already full of broke crybabies. We just call them bears :p

Risse

Activity: 47
Merit: 2

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2013, 04:25:20 PM

"History repeats itself" or how did that famous saying go...

Anyways, I think you are right, the price has to come down at some point. It's just a gut feeling though, who really knows what happens.
MEGAMERICAN

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 07:20:02 PM

We might see a slight dip or two at the 30 and/or 32 mark because of the pressure of people who bought at those prices but I don't foresee a huge dip because the amount of people who bought at that level is probably quite small. We saw a dip to the $22 level last week when we neared $27 which is the kind of dip we may see coming up.

I just used it as a good buying opportunity and am hoping for another one in the upcoming days/week(s).
Merralea

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 07:33:39 PM

Anyone for Tea?
[[images]]
We have a winner.
Fuzzy

Activity: 560

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 07:35:06 PM

If you think there aren't 10 times more people waiting for cheap coins than there was last time it crashed, then you're gonna miss one hell of a ride.
chmod755
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1020

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2013, 07:38:12 PM

• "Those who rely on the past will never escape it" ~Barbara Feldon

• "Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment."~Buddha

Fuzzy

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 07:40:17 PM

• "Those who rely on the past will never escape it" ~Barbara Feldon

• "Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment."~Buddha

• "He who smelt it, dealt it."~Little Timmy
BitCoinsLOL

Activity: 214

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 08:14:38 PM

Do you know why it colapsed the 1st time? Can you be basing your theory on that chart alone with no other due dilligence? I hope not son.

I never thought my life could be. Anything but catastrophe. But suddenly I begin to see. A "BIT" of good luck for me. Cause I've got a golden ticket!
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2013, 08:22:24 PM

Do you know why it colapsed the 1st time? Can you be basing your theory on that chart alone with no other due dilligence? I hope not son.

do you?

if you say hacks you'd be wrong...

the hacks and BS happened AFTER the crash.

Spekulatius
Legendary

Activity: 1022

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 11:15:11 PM

do you?

+1

Idk how many times people will repeat that myth over and over. Just look at the charts people!
Luno

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 11:34:47 PM

Bitcoin has to stay at 32+ for a while, going around a second time to $5-10 will be fatal in public and business perception.
Bemtje

Activity: 78

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 01:48:01 AM

You guys and your predictions...... Anything can happen in the world of Bitcoin.

Example: Someone could have insider information, by a shit ton of BTC's, then the next thing you know Wal-Mart releases a PR stating they accept Bitcoin.
Third Way

Activity: 238

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 04:57:10 AM

You guys and your predictions...... Anything can happen in the world of Bitcoin.

Example: Someone could have insider information, by a shit ton of BTC's, then the next thing you know Wal-Mart releases a PR stating they accept Bitcoin.

>insider information
Of what? There is no need for insider info on when the next blocks will be mined. We know the difficulty.

blease resbond -> 1BYJKxpntNn6TZbM5M5CWkEb8vr8vDcBrr
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 05:12:47 AM

Insider information on big companies that may decide to accept bitcoin.

Actually, it's just a matter of time before Walmart, Amazon, and many other online stores will accept bitcoins as payment. They will most likely get it through one of many bitcoin payment processors so they can get their fiat equivalent currencies in their bank accounts.

Also, it's quite clear that the value of bitcoins will continue to increase in the long term. There may be ups and downs, but it will generally go up all the time until at least a few decades from now.

Peter Lambert

Activity: 756

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 05:36:28 AM

The last time the price shot up so fast, about Jun '12, the price leveled out for 6 months. Is that what you are trying to say? The price is going to go up until it stops going up, and then it will remain steady until it starts going up again!

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
Melbustus
Legendary

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 06:13:15 AM

do you?

+1

Idk how many times people will repeat that myth over and over. Just look at the charts people!

Arg - do not imply that the 6month fall from $32 to $2 had nothing to do with hacks and scams. Yes, the fall from $32 to $17 was before the Gox hack. From $17 to $2 was because of an immature and unprofessional ecosystem from which we have made great strides away in the last 18months.

Luno

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 06:22:07 AM

So what's the point of even creating a thread like this?
I mean, the way I see it, there are two outcomes.

a) You're right, and no one really cares much, but I guess you can claim some sort of fame for calling the hand in advance.
b) You're wrong and you end up looking like a troll/bear/ass (add any negative adjective)

So, I see the rewards not being as great and I see the potential of being made fun of....

IMHO

Thats why you wanna hold both BTC and $$ right  now, so you can jump it like any good transsexual in a strange bar.
Comodore

Activity: 159

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 01:40:57 PM

Why do you think our expectations are irrational? I have rational expectations of bitcoin that really has fundaments to go UP. We are too small market and current demand drives it higher naturaly.
Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 2121

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 05:56:55 PM

Any second, any second... Wait for it... any second... here we... any... any... just about nnnnn.... any second... keep watching... keep watching... Here we ggggg.... any moment, right about right nnnn... it's right on the edge... here it cccc... don't look away... one little... just one... any second... It... is... going... to... happen... five... four... three... two... one and a half... one and a quarter... one and three sixteenths... here it... here it... nearly...

justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 06:03:30 PM

Any second, any second... Wait for it... any second... here we... any... any... just about nnnnn.... any second... keep watching... keep watching... Here we ggggg.... any moment, right about right nnnn... it's right on the edge... here it cccc... don't look away... one little... just one... any second... It... is... going... to... happen... five... four... three... two... one and a half... one and a quarter... one and three sixteenths... here it... here it... nearly...
Just need someone to buy up those last 8000 BTC:

Richy_T
Legendary

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 06:11:32 PM

*Checks bank account* Not this day, methinks.

It was more a poke at the suggestion the rally would be over soon. Though it also works well non-ironically for $30

adamstgBit
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2013, 06:14:50 PM

their will be 8000 more at 31

haven't you noticed this whole rally has been buy out one more wall and its going to explode UP, one more wall , one more wall , one more wall ,one more wall.

molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 06:17:32 PM

Exactly. In my opinion the current situation is at most a "small bubble", meaning that there can be a correction, but it's unlikely to be a deep one. To experience a "massive bubble" we would need to see the all time high broken and then panic buys from there. That is the point when it's smart to become skeptical.

there have been 3 "steps" in the 2011 runup to the bubble (from base of about $1):

• the jump to $2
  • the jump to $4
  • the jump to $9

So the top of the current bubble is either 450, 225 or 100 depending what "jump" the current one is similar to.

I don't believe in this fractal stuff applying to markets somehow, though.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 06:20:05 PM

haven't you noticed this whole rally has been buy out one more wall and its going to explode UP, one more wall , one more wall , one more wall ,one more wall.

Hey Adam, we went from 12 to almost 30... it's already exploded up! Don't fight it, man, you'll just get hurt.  Grin
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 06:22:32 PM

Thing is: I don't want it to explode. And it's not exploding.... a good thing.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
adamstgBit
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2013, 06:25:16 PM

Hey Adam, we went from 12 to almost 30... it's already exploded up! Don't fight it, man, you'll just get hurt.  Grin

ya every wall bought was reward with 1$ UP

this wall is the same, but don't go pretending that their are no more bitcoins to be bought the higher we go...quite the opposite...

Piper67
Legendary

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 06:31:02 PM

ya every wall bought was reward with 1$ UP

this wall is the same, but don't go pretending that their are no more bitcoins to be bought the higher we go...quite the opposite...

Either the wall will get eaten or it will move... of course there are more bitcoins to be bought... but there's also more money to buy them  Wink
arepo

Activity: 448

this statement is false

View Profile
February 22, 2013, 12:47:49 AM

So what's the point of even creating a thread like this?
I mean, the way I see it, there are two outcomes.

a) You're right, and no one really cares much, but I guess you can claim some sort of fame for calling the hand in advance.
b) You're wrong and you end up looking like a troll/bear/ass (add any negative adjective)

So, I see the rewards not being as great and I see the potential of being made fun of....

IMHO

Or bluffing. Basically: "if we make some noise about price bubbles, it will counteract other people's exuberance*. This will make the average sentiment seem more balanced, which may confuse some people and make them feel more confident about buying more bitcoins at a high price when they might have otherwise been more cautious."

Examples of Bitcoin exuberance/fanboi-ism:
  • BTC is finally catching up to fair value because Wordpress, Reddit, and Mega!
  • I believe that the mining reward halving magically puts pressure on the exchange rate until it doubles!
  • The next 10 corporate adoption announcements should be priced in before they happen!

+1,000,000

it seems that every post these days is someone talking their wallet, or a carefully crafted sentiment flag. maybe traders are starting to get anxious....? Tongue

this sentence has fifteen words, seventy-four letters, four commas, one hyphen, and a period.
18N9md2G1oA89kdBuiyJFrtJShuL5iDWDz
Bit_Happy (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 22, 2013, 02:32:51 AM

... or very soon.

Watching "Panic buying" is exciting.
Remember markets go both ways.

mccorvic

View Profile
February 22, 2013, 02:55:51 AM

Being a bear right now must be a very confusing, and depressing experience. 

In before "Ah ha! Bitcoin dropped to $50! I knew it all along!"

molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
February 22, 2013, 06:59:31 AM

Being a bear right now must be a very confusing, and depressing experience. 

In before "Ah ha! Bitcoin dropped to $50! I knew it all along!"

lol, eactly

Bit_Happy (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 26, 2013, 08:04:09 PM

It's a really battle, but the super-low volume on the latest "rally" is not very impressive.
Long-term = Bullish
Medium-term = Very low 20's.

BitCoinsLOL

Activity: 214

View Profile
February 27, 2013, 02:13:01 AM

Every post from OP is The Sky Is Falling. BitHappy why you so unhappy.  Smiley more

I never thought my life could be. Anything but catastrophe. But suddenly I begin to see. A "BIT" of good luck for me. Cause I've got a golden ticket!
Piper67
Legendary

View Profile
February 27, 2013, 02:19:00 AM

It's a really battle, but the super-low volume on the latest "rally" is not very impressive.
Long-term = Bullish
Medium-term = Very low 20's.

Naturally the rally has slowed down. It can't keep going up .50 cents a day like before, however there is no indication of a sell-off, much less to low 20's... if anything, we'll see a slower uptrend all the way to 40 within the next two-three months with the usual drops to profit taking and re-buying..

It's also coming up to the end of the month.
bitcoinBull
Legendary

Activity: 826

rippleFanatic

View Profile
February 27, 2013, 04:38:38 AM

Any second, its gonna break the all-time high??  Grin

It's also coming up to the end of the month.

1st of the month?  Cheesy

College of Bucking Bulls Knowledge
Richy_T
Legendary

View Profile
February 27, 2013, 04:47:14 AM

No-no. It's going to crash so hard, it'll take out an orphanage and leave a crater. Honest.

Cheesy

bitcoinBull
Legendary

Activity: 826

rippleFanatic

View Profile
February 27, 2013, 05:17:49 AM

No-no. It's going to crash so hard, it'll take out an orphanage and leave a crater. Honest.

Cheesy

Still waiting...  Cool

College of Bucking Bulls Knowledge
zkay

Activity: 126

View Profile
February 27, 2013, 05:23:21 AM

Cheesy

Still waiting...  Cool
whitenight639

Activity: 154

View Profile
February 27, 2013, 06:01:27 AM

why has nobody mentioned the recent forbes articles on bitcoin? Seems to me they along with reddit and wordpress have stirred the interest.

Are you ready for my predictions -  **Pulls out Crystal ball whilst cheap disco fog rolls in..**

The current rally will level off to a more natural upwards incline as those that were interested by the recent press get bored and confused about how to buy and keep / spend bitcoin, the hardcore geeky few or the ones wealthy enough to pay some trader to invest in it for them will continue to buy and trade bitcoin,

The problem with bitcoin is its small market capitalisation, its small user-base, and lack of suppliers selling real world items & consumables in exchange for bitcoin.

When more brokerages and big exchanges manifest, along with personal, portable hardware wallets and payment systems bitcoin will take off like a rocket- as the ipod type people see these hardware devices amongst there friends, big time traders and drug dealers see the opportunity to cash in and out with the exchanges.

125uWc197UW5kM659m4uwEakxoNHzMKzwz
Bit_Happy (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 27, 2013, 07:50:00 AM

That is the point when it's smart to become skeptical.

Have you 'thanked' a skeptic today?
A market with some signs of balance is much healthier than a situation with clearly excessive exuberance (i.e. Early June 2011)

notme
Legendary

View Profile
February 27, 2013, 01:57:38 PM

why has nobody mentioned the recent forbes articles on bitcoin? Seems to me they along with reddit and wordpress have stirred the interest.

Are you ready for my predictions -  **Pulls out Crystal ball whilst cheap disco fog rolls in..**

The current rally will level off to a more natural upwards incline as those that were interested by the recent press get bored and confused about how to buy and keep / spend bitcoin, the hardcore geeky few or the ones wealthy enough to pay some trader to invest in it for them will continue to buy and trade bitcoin,

The problem with bitcoin is its small market capitalisation, its small user-base, and lack of suppliers selling real world items & consumables in exchange for bitcoin.

When more brokerages and big exchanges manifest, along with personal, portable hardware wallets and payment systems bitcoin will take off like a rocket- as the ipod type people see these hardware devices amongst there friends, big time traders and drug dealers see the opportunity to cash in and out with the exchanges.

Mantonis has done like 10+ Forbes articles on bitcoin.  No new eyes there.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Richy_T
Legendary

View Profile
February 27, 2013, 02:49:09 PM

Mantonis has done like 10+ Forbes articles on bitcoin.  No new eyes there.

And he's clearly a cheerleader. Which is not a bad thing per-se but it should immediately trigger "I am reading a biased article" flags in anyone with a bit of common sense. Definitely not as beneficial as an article which would show a somewhat balanced approach maybe tinged with a little skepticism.

Odalv
Legendary

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 01:22:20 AM

It's coming.. the crash is coming... oh wait..
+1 sure ... (are you ridding the market ?)
MonadTran

Activity: 181

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 01:23:49 AM

OMG. It crashed in the wrong direction.
Odalv
Legendary

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 01:24:12 AM

It's coming.. the crash is coming... oh wait..

+1 thank you to let me know
MacMiner

Activity: 72

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 01:24:55 AM

wait
mccorvic

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 01:25:54 AM

No guys wait, he was right. The rally ended and this is just a totally different rally that started at the exact moment the first one ended.

humanitee

Activity: 1302
Merit: 502

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 01:27:16 AM

No guys wait, he was right. The rally ended and this is just a totally different rally that started at the exact moment the first one ended.

The first rally was Ted, this one is Todd. They are easily confused!  Cheesy

▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
▄███▀▀▀▀▀████▄▄ █▄▄
▄▄          ▀▀████▄  ██▄
█████▄            ▀█████  ██▄
▄█████████           ▀█████ ███▄
▄█████████▀▀           ▀█████ ███▄
▄███  █████             ▀█████ ████
███  █████                █████ ████
███ █████                  ████  ████
███ █████                ▄████  ████
███ █████                ███████████
▀██ █████▄                █████████
▀██ ██████▄                ▀█████
▀██ ███████                  ▀▀▀
▀██ ██████▄▄                 
▀██ ██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
▀▀ █████████████████▀
▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀

Fast, Secure, and Fully

DecentralizeTrading
BACKED BY:
─────────────────────────
BINANCE
─────── LAB
&█████████████████████████████████ █  ███
█▀    ▀█  ███▀▀▀▀▀████████  ████▀▀███▀ █
█  █████    ▄▄▄▄▄  █  ▀  █    ███  █  ██
█▄    ▀█  ██       █  ▄███  ██████   ███
█████  █  ██  ███  █  ████  ████  ▄  ███
█▄    ▄█▄  ▄█▄     ▀  ████▄  ▄█   ██  ██

Whitepaper
 Medium
Reddit
Odalv
Legendary

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 01:37:56 AM

It is very easy ... if there is a max SELL SELL SELL (already sold ? ... wait ... some are buying at $32 and soon will sell at $0,001  (joke) )  :-)
jwzguy

Activity: 868

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 01:39:49 AM

I love it when people tell me they're "Sorry to inform me."
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 01:40:57 AM

If I were Bit_happy, I wouldn't post anything else for a couple of years... Smiley

Amen to that.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2013, 02:00:27 AM

Please sell your BTC at the nearest exchange and wait for a much lower price.

One week later...

$33.20 / BTC

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
jwzguy

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 02:02:16 AM

If I were Bit_happy, I wouldn't post anything else for a couple of years... Smiley
Yep, time to go hang out with Nagle and Edward50 - have fun!
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 02:04:59 AM

OMG, Edward 50.  i'd forgotten about that idiot.  did i have plenty of flame wars with him.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2013, 02:09:48 AM

The rally ended at 33.2 followed by a huge crash to $33.

Run for the exits, the end is near.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
jwzguy

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 02:20:10 AM

OMG, Edward 50.  i'd forgotten about that idiot.  did i have plenty of flame wars with him.

I did my best to resist talking to him, but I am a fan of your work.

It's one thing to be wrong, but to be self righteous and indignant about people not listening to your predictions of doom and failure is the height of hilarity.
Peter Lambert

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 02:50:19 AM

No, the first rally totally ended and then we had a relatively calm period (didn't you see the post "Why is the price so stable lately?"?) So clearly the recent rise must be a new rally.

Nesetalis

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 02:56:22 AM

I wouldn't really call this a rally, this was a spike... some number of folks dumping a huge amount of cash in to bitcoins.

But it is exciting! Cheesy just this morning I was saying we were unlikely to hit 32 today unless some one dumped a massive amount of cash, and look at that. O.O

ZOMG Moo!
oakpacific

Activity: 784

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 04:33:47 AM

I did my best to resist talking to him, but I am a fan of your work.

It's one thing to be wrong, but to be self righteous and indignant about people not listening to your predictions of doom and failure is the height of hilarity.

It adds to that hilarity when you heard them saying" I don't want people to lose their money so that's why I'm here", in all seriousness. Cheesy

https://tlsnotary.org/ Fraud proofing decentralized fiat-Bitcoin trading.
Dargo
Legendary

Activity: 1820

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 05:18:33 AM

For the shorter-term traders out there (long-term can ignore): Instead of trying to "call the top," or deluding yourself with fantasies about how this rally will continue unbroken to 40, 50, 100, or whatever, instead make a plan for how you will try to stay with the trend. The way to do this is to use stops and keep raising them. For example, since January 8th, every dip to the 20 day exponential moving average (EMA) has been bought. So one way to stay with the rally would be to set your stop .2 - .5 BTC below the 20 EMA, and keep raising it as the 20 EMA goes up. Since 2/14, the uptrend has accelerated, and every dip to the 10 EMA has been bought, so if you want to be more aggressive about protecting your profit, you might set your stop a little below the 10 EMA, and again keep raising it as the 10 EMA goes up. Sure, there's always the chance that you might get stopped out right at the bottom of a dip that breaks the pattern, but this is better than selling way too early (and watching price rip much higher without you), or being caught like a deer in the headlights when a major pullback comes (and thus holding too long due to your conviction that the rally must continue). You can always get back in if you get caught in a little head-fake and the uptrend resumes (and so long as you are willing to use stops, there shouldn't be anything scary about hopping right back on board). We've been hugging the 10 day EMA fairly tight during this rally, and one scenario that might indicate we are near a top would be a steep ramp that gets price extended way above the 10 day EMA - if that happens, we are likely due for at least a dip back to the 10 EMA, or much lower. This is pretty standard trading technique, and I'm sure something like this has been pointed out somewhere on the forum before, but if so, it is drowned in the clamor of unfounded opinions. Personally, I'm in for the long-haul, so I'm not concerned with shorter-term trends, but if I was, something like the above is how I would try to gauge and ride the current trend, with no opinion about where the top will be, or how long the trend will last. Bald opinion is a terrible guide for trading, so ignore all opinion (yours and others), and instead measure the trend and ride it until it breaks.  
Richy_T
Legendary

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 03:40:38 PM

I predict a crash all the way to 35 by end-of-week.

Peter Lambert

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 05:37:30 PM

+1
Spike to $58 and dead-cat-bounce down to $18. It's only Thursday, by June 2011 standards there's still time. Cheesy

I don't think you are using the term dead-cat bounce correctly. It should be "dead-cat-bounce up to $18".

Nesetalis

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 06:33:30 PM

Psh if it crashes all the way to 35 i'll eat spaghetti tonight.... but since i'm cooking spaghetti for dinner tonight, lets hope this is a self fulfilling prophecy.

ZOMG Moo!
Richy_T
Legendary

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 06:47:21 PM

I didn't say which week. Though it will be soon, real soon. Very soon even.

Bit_Happy (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 08:14:28 PM

The over-due correction is happening now.

<EDIT: Gox was showing incorrect asks below $29.75>
Stop Selling!
Now is the time to buy   Smiley

jwzguy

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 08:15:17 PM

Stop Selling!
Now is the time to buy   Smiley

One large sale is not a correction.
Bit_Happy (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 08:22:58 PM

$3 is a decent short-term correction. A much bigger drop is possible, but we have so many "bubble-heads".

This
https://mtgox.com/code/data/getDepth.php
was showing the ask price at 29.xx, but it was goxed.
The best fill I got was very low $31

jwzguy

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 08:28:26 PM

$3 is a decent short-term correction. A much bigger drop is possible, but we have so many "bubble-heads".

34.2 - 32.8 = $1.6

One guy cleared out the order book, that's not a "correction" to the lowest price he got. Half the ticker sites are still frozen and the price is already over 50% over the lowest price he got to. I suspect if you give it another minute or two it will be back higher.
Mousepotato

Activity: 896

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 08:30:37 PM

This is getting a little too high. I'm cashing out while the cashing is good.

Mousepotato
Fuzzy

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 08:41:01 PM

This is getting a little too high. I'm cashing out while the cashing is good.

Just don't make the mistake of going back and checking the price later, to see that it's gone up to $40. Even with all your sweet profit, you'll be kicking yourself.
Bitobsessed

Activity: 291

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 08:50:43 PM

I emailed this to a friend this morning calling the sell off.  Too bad I did not 100% believe myself.  Email was titled "Ready for the sell off?"  This is hilarious watching people panic.  It will recover and continue to climb...

Bit_Happy (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 08:56:32 PM

34.2 - 32.8 = $1.6

FYI:
$34.51541 - 31.05   (....BTC at $31.05107)  =  $3.46  (or more, it probably went under 31)
$3.46 which is a very decent short-term correction.

jwzguy

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 08:59:33 PM

34.2 - 32.8 = $1.6

FYI:
$34.51541 - 31.05   (....BTC at $31.05107)  =  $3.46
$3.46 which is a very decent short-term correction.

The price is currently 33.32, not 31.05. 31.05 is just the point to which a seller cleared out the order book. It's not where the price ended up.
Maybe your ticker window is still frozen. Try hitting refresh.
Gatekeeper

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 09:03:28 PM

that's what i find most pathetic, 1 person sells a chunk of coins and all the bears jump all over it, shame that every time it just moves back up to what it was before and shows them up.

"omg 1 person sold" crash crash correction correction!!

Bit_Happy (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 09:05:05 PM

The price is currently 33.32, not 31.05. 31.05 is just the point to which a seller cleared out the order book. It's not where the price ended up.

Try paying attention to detail, especially when you previously decided to insult someone.
I had orders filled at 31.05, did you?   Cheesy

The (short-term) correction was ~$3.50, no matter what you believe...

Bit_Happy (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 09:10:19 PM

This was on page 1 of the thread.
Was anyone able to respond to the challenge? Perhaps I didn't see it
  • Please post any chart from ANY financial market in modern or ancient history that shows a massive, dramatic upward spike without a sharp correction.

Good luck finding one.

jwzguy

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 09:10:54 PM

Try paying attention to detail, especially when you previously decided to insult someone.
I had orders filled at 31.05, did you?   Cheesy

Maybe if you didn't use such self-righteous silliness as "I'm sorry to inform you", you wouldn't have felt insulted by someone pointing out how foolish you sounded.

jwzguy

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 09:14:09 PM

Maybe this will help you out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Market_correction

At no point was 31.05 established as an equilibrium.

Bitobsessed

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 09:15:18 PM

Good luck finding one.

Shhhh...quit helping all the noobs.  Just a joke.  But you are correct, it just does not happen(that I know of).
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Merit: 1036

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 09:44:17 PM

Please post any chart from ANY financial market in modern or ancient history that shows a massive, dramatic upward spike without a sharp correction.
Good luck finding one.

There is none. But what you cannot know beforehand is the magnitude of the spike. Today we are talking about +200% in two months. Remember late 2010? At $1 bitcoin was screaming overbought, yet it decided to go up another 30-fold before the dramatic correction.

That is akin to going to $1000 in the following 5 months. Now THAT is something Smiley

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
Piper67
Legendary

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 09:45:15 PM

Please post any chart from ANY financial market in modern or ancient history that shows a massive, dramatic upward spike without a sharp correction.
Good luck finding one.

There is none. But what you cannot know beforehand is the magnitude of the spike. Today we are talking about +200% in two months. Remember late 2010? At $1 bitcoin was screaming overbought, yet it decided to go up another 30-fold before the dramatic correction.

That is akin to going to $1000 in the following 5 months. Now THAT is something Smiley

Actually, that would start to move into cool territory  Grin
Domrada

Activity: 254

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2013, 10:00:18 PM

I'm sorry, I'm confused.  24 hours ago the price was 31.5.  Now it is 33.5.  How does this qualify as a correction? Explain it like I'm 5.

DataTrading
TRADE FORECASTING BY ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE
¦
PRE-SALE SPECIAL  30%  BONUS   
Pre sale starts on 11.20.2017 9:00 UTC
cheat_2_win

Activity: 215

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 10:02:10 PM

I'm sorry, I'm confused.  24 hours ago the price was 31.5.  Now it is 33.5.  How does this qualify as a correction? Explain it like I'm 5.

+1  Cheesy
mccorvic

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 10:06:11 PM

/thread

molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 10:09:51 PM

That definition doesn't apply at all:

A market correction is a rapid change in the nominal price of a commodity, after a barrier to free trade has been removed and the free market establishes a new equilibrium price.

Bitcoin might be argued to be a commodity, but where was there ever a trade barrier?

jwzguy

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 10:17:38 PM

A market correction is a rapid change in the nominal price of a commodity, after a barrier to free trade has been removed and the free market establishes a new equilibrium price.

Bitcoin might be argued to be a commodity, but where was there ever a trade barrier?

Yes, that was my point. It doesn't apply. Because we didn't have a "correction to 31.05" and really, not a true correction at all.

However, if you mean this term is not applicable to a change in btc price, I disagree. There are plenty of trade barriers that still exist. Like Chase shutting down cash deposit accounts every time they find out they're dealing with a Bitcoin exchange. When we hear news that Coinlab is going to make transferring money to the largest exchange much easier, the price rises rapidly - that is a correction.

Regardless of how people are abusing this term, I would love to see the definition of a market correction that would qualify an instantaneous dip like we saw. It would make the term meaningless.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 10:24:43 PM

Yes, that was my point. It doesn't apply. Because we didn't have a "correction to 31.05" and really, not a true correction at all.

However, if you mean this term is not applicable to a change in btc price, I disagree. There are plenty of trade barriers that still exist. Like Chase shutting down cash deposit accounts every time they find out they're dealing with a Bitcoin exchange. When we hear news that Coinlab is going to make transferring money to the largest exchange much easier, the price rises rapidly - that is a correction.

Regardless of how people are abusing this term, I would love to see the definition of a market correction that would qualify an instantaneous dip like we saw. It would make the term meaningless.

Hm. I wasn't aware "market correction" was so tightly defined. I figured it'd be any kind of sharp rebound after a move.

found this

Quote from: Technical Analysis of Stock Trends, Robert D. Edwards and John Magee p. 479
A correction is a short term price decline of 5% to 20% or so.

here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Market_trend

jwzguy

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 10:34:46 PM

Quote from: Technical Analysis of Stock Trends, Robert D. Edwards and John Magee p. 479

Fair enough - I am sure that if you ask either of those authors if he considers a near instantaneous blip in the price caused by a single order a "correction" they would say no.

Otherwise "correction" would just be synonymous with "fluctuation" and would be meaningless. 
adamstgBit
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2013, 10:49:30 PM

Fair enough - I am sure that if you ask either of those authors if he considers a near instantaneous blip in the price caused by a single order a "correction" they would say no.

Otherwise "correction" would just be synonymous with "fluctuation" and would be meaningless.  

so then wtf is a "dip"

jwzguy

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 10:53:33 PM

so then wtf is a "dip"
Fast track to gum cancer?
Richy_T
Legendary

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 11:06:37 PM

Good luck finding one.

Richy_T
Legendary

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 11:08:16 PM
Last edit: February 28, 2013, 11:20:05 PM by Richy_T

Have another

sublime5447
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 11:33:33 PM

Good luck finding one.

That is perfect just like we all know where this chart will lead so too will BTC.

Scenarios--- Us government tells japan they wont be bailed out unless they shut down gox, or japan decides to shut it down for violating currency laws, SR is infiltrated and is shut down, Sr announces it will start accepting LTC... any others fellow bears? When do people stop believing this lie? When did beanie babies go bust?, when did people realize pogs are just cardboard? When will people realize that BTC is just 1's and 0's that are worthless as anything other than money? and that it is easy to replicate? 
Piper67
Legendary

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 12:17:07 AM

Good luck finding one.

Double LOL!
xxjs

Activity: 280

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 12:28:06 AM

That is perfect just like we all know where this chart will lead so too will BTC.

Scenarios--- Us government tells japan they wont be bailed out unless they shut down gox, or japan decides to shut it down for violating currency laws, SR is infiltrated and is shut down, Sr announces it will start accepting LTC... any others fellow bears? When do people stop believing this lie? When did beanie babies go bust?, when did people realize pogs are just cardboard? When will people realize that BTC is just 1's and 0's that are worthless as anything other than money? and that it is easy to replicate? 

I love these occasional FUD posts, they keep the BTC/USD ratio in check so that corrections will not be needed so often  Cheesy
Nesetalis

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 12:37:23 AM

Good luck finding one.

can't.. stop.. laughing...

you win the thread.

ZOMG Moo!
Chalkbot
Legendary

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 12:38:01 AM

I love these occasional FUD posts, they keep the BTC/USD ratio in check so that corrections will not be needed so often  Cheesy

I'm not sure this one is helping as I cannot even decipher what he is saying. Is he implying that US debt repayment is imminent? That Silk Road shutting down would have a dramatic effect on BTC price? That somehow switching to LTC would enable Silkroad to recover? That someone can just make copies of bitcoins? Huh?
sublime5447
Legendary

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 12:38:59 AM

I do what I can you can thank me when this thing returns to its intrinsic value, which is even less than fiat, at least you can burn that for warmth.
xxjs

Activity: 280

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 12:44:30 AM

I love these occasional FUD posts, they keep the BTC/USD ratio in check so that corrections will not be needed so often  Cheesy

I'm not sure this one is helping as I cannot even decipher what he is saying. Is he implying that US debt repayment is imminent? That Silk Road shutting down would have a dramatic effect on BTC price? That somehow switching to LTC would enable Silkroad to recover? That someone can just make copies of bitcoins? Huh?

Well he indicated that bitcoin is not money, that it is or can be worthless, that the status of mtgox is somehow important, that an alt-chain can easily take over ... I am sure there are more gems in there.
sublime5447
Legendary

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 12:46:12 AM

You have to understand marco to know what I am saying. That fiat expansion chart will look like every other asset bubble chart. The debt expansion is the same thing as the money supply. It is going to collapse into a new great depression. I am saying US default is imminent, and yes Sr getting shut down will shut off about 23% of the market activity and that if SR accepts LTC it's price will rise and BTC will fall. I am not saying that BTC is easy to replicate but easy to imitate possibly with a better coin. 
notme
Legendary

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 12:50:38 AM

Stop Selling!
Now is the time to buy   Smiley

One large correction is a sale.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Chalkbot
Legendary

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 01:01:46 AM

You have to understand marco to know what I am saying. That fiat expansion chart will look like every other asset bubble chart. The debt expansion is the same thing as the money supply. It is going to collapse into a new great depression. I am saying US default is imminent, and yes Sr getting shut down will shut off about 23% of the market activity and that if SR accepts LTC it's price will rise and BTC will fall. I am not saying that BTC is easy to replicate but easy to imitate possibly with a better coin. 

The figures I've seen suggest Silk Road does about $250,000 a month. Even if every one of those coins was immediately bought/sold on the exchange, that represents about half of one percent of the volume of just one exchange (Gox) in that same time period.

Also, collapsing fiat makes bitcoin investing a good idea in my opinion. Sure there are other things you can store value in with a different set of pros/cons, but bitcoin serves the purpose well.

If Anyone accepts LTC, it is likely in addition to BTC at this point, not instead of. That would be silly. That's like a McDonalds store opening up in California that only accepts Pesos. Sure you *could* go there, but why? And what advantage would the owner of that store have by doing that?

In my opinion, the only way an alt-coin could potentially dethrone bitcoin at this stage is if it was backed by a company like Apple, Google, or Amazon.
sublime5447
Legendary

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 01:20:24 AM

http://spacedruid.com/2013/02/26/the-demographics-of-bitcoin-part-1/

I cant speak about the volume of sales of SR I read an article that said they did 22 million last year, I am not sure, I just know the vast majority of my customers by them to spend there, but who knows you could be right

As for the death of fiat being good for BTC that is completely false all asset prices will fall under that scenario

"If Anyone accepts LTC, it is likely in addition to BTC at this point, not instead of. That would be silly." ridiculous a competitor coin rising in popularity will be at bitcoins expense.   

"In my opinion, the only way an alt-coin could potentially dethrone bitcoin at this stage is if it was backed by a company like Apple, Google, or Amazon."

That can happen tomorrow.

Chalkbot
Legendary

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 01:37:21 AM

ridiculous a competitor coin rising in popularity will be at bitcoins expense. 

Not sure I followed this part.

That can happen tomorrow.
I don't deny that. If it did I would strongly consider diversification. I was only trying to illustrate that as far as alt-coins go, it's too late to claim the crown without some serious backing. There's no way to program in a huge (relatively speaking) user base, proven history, or widespread acceptance, so recognizable backing or critical failure are the only ways to potentially dethrone bitcoin as the leading crypto-currency in my mind.
sublime5447
Legendary

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 01:50:33 AM

I love ween BTW.  Smiley

Limited market for digital currency if another coin gains market share it will be a btc expense. Personally I think LTC will grow and help regulate BTC's price. If LTC goes to 1 dollar and you can use them for anything you use BTC for then if there are 4 times as many LTC then BTC the price of BTC should be 4 bucks. Why buy BTC at 35 when you can get LTC for .07? Makes no sense. Only reason anyone buys BTC over LTC from me is they wanna buy some blow off SR.
Piper67
Legendary

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 01:56:49 AM

The figures I've seen suggest Silk Road does about $250,000 a month. Even if every one of those coins was immediately bought/sold on the exchange, that represents about half of one percent of the volume of just one exchange (Gox) in that same time period.

Also, collapsing fiat makes bitcoin investing a good idea in my opinion. Sure there are other things you can store value in with a different set of pros/cons, but bitcoin serves the purpose well.

If Anyone accepts LTC, it is likely in addition to BTC at this point, not instead of. That would be silly. That's like a McDonalds store opening up in California that only accepts Pesos. Sure you *could* go there, but why? And what advantage would the owner of that store have by doing that?

In my opinion, the only way an alt-coin could potentially dethrone bitcoin at this stage is if it was backed by a company like Apple, Google, or Amazon.

Nah, even if they did, as long as there was a free floating exchange between BTC and the alt-coin, Bitcoin would still win.
Chalkbot
Legendary

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 02:22:17 AM

I love ween BTW.  Smiley

Limited market for digital currency if another coin gains market share it will be a btc expense. Personally I think LTC will grow and help regulate BTC's price. If LTC goes to 1 dollar and you can use them for anything you use BTC for then if there are 4 times as many LTC then BTC the price of BTC should be 4 bucks. Why buy BTC at 35 when you can get LTC for .07? Makes no sense. Only reason anyone buys BTC over LTC from me is they wanna buy some blow off SR.

Ween is the best band.

I can agree, to some extent, that if another alt-coin was accepted everywhere BTC was, it would take some market share from BTC, thus lowering the price. Despite the fact that it's somewhat of a chicken/egg scenario in terms of even gaining that amount of adoption. There is no reason the number of coins would have anything to do with their respective values, however. If LTC was $1, that just means they would respresent $1x<total number of LTC> of the total crypto coin market (currently ~$350,000,000). If that number is 4 times the number of BTC, lets call that 44 million LTC coins right now, then LTC is worth 44 million dollars of the total market, which would drop the price of a BTC to 29.50 from the current 33.50 ($368m -$44m / 11m BTC). The total market cap wouldn't shrink, like in your example, it stays roughly the same.

I feel like I didn't explain that very well, but whatever.
mccorvic

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 02:28:59 AM

I love ween BTW.  Smiley

LTC won't break any relevant price point as the "miners" who are interested in it will dump everything, move to a new currency, and be like "Oh this is what we use now. It's better. Please buy it".

Chalkbot
Legendary

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 03:04:32 AM

I love ween BTW.  Smiley

LTC won't break any relevant price point as the "miners" who are interested in it will dump everything, move to a new currency, and be like "Oh this is what we use now. It's better. Please buy it".

My money's on mccorvi-coins!
RodeoX
Legendary

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 03:02:39 PM

Much better title.  Grin

Richy_T
Legendary

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 03:12:24 PM

Much better title.  Grin

Yet somehow along the lines of "Have you stopped beating your wife?"

mccorvic

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 03:39:04 PM

I love ween BTW.  Smiley

Smart man!

Anyone who wants a mccorvi-coin can send me BTC. I'll then bust out my colored pencils, sketch one up, and post it to you.

molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 03:41:22 PM

I love ween BTW.  Smiley

Smart man!

Anyone who wants a mccorvi-coin can send me BTC. I'll then bust out my colored pencils, sketch one up, and post it to you.

what's the rate? Can I get a real paper one?

Monster Tent

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 03:49:27 PM

A country could do it. It only takes having a large enough reserve to back each coin and place a floor under the price.

Piper67
Legendary

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 05:07:01 PM

I love ween BTW.  Smiley

Smart man!

As soon as someone works out how to send pizza rolls over the internets, I'll send you some  Grin
Richy_T
Legendary

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 05:38:18 PM

What is the current exchange rate? And how many pizza bites to a pizza roll?

Hexadecibel
Human Intranet Liason
VIP

Activity: 571
Merit: 504

I still <3 u Satoshi

View Profile
March 02, 2013, 12:26:49 AM

What is the current exchange rate? And how many pizza bites to a pizza roll?

mccorvic

View Profile
March 02, 2013, 01:58:28 AM

So yeah, while Bitcoin can't be inflated from within, it's still susceptible external shocks. For now I'm happy that those shocks are pushing its exchange rate UP Cheesy

This is why if LTC or any other alt-coin actually gains ground, even temporarily, all that will happen is completely undo BTC and all cryptocoin all together.  One of the major, if not THE major, advancement and promises of bitcoin is that it is resistant to inflation due to the hard cap of 21million. If, it turns out, any two-bit script kiddie with 5 friends can effectively do so by creating a sperg-coin or what have you then people will be fully capable of extrapolating and realize the whole experiment is a bust.

That said, I also think this is the exact reason that any alt-coin won't gain ground.  Enough people are smart enough to realize this and not fall for it.

Monster Tent

View Profile
March 02, 2013, 02:07:50 AM

So yeah, while Bitcoin can't be inflated from within, it's still susceptible external shocks. For now I'm happy that those shocks are pushing its exchange rate UP Cheesy

This is why if LTC or any other alt-coin actually gains ground, even temporarily, all that will happen is completely undo BTC and all cryptocoin all together.  One of the major, if not THE major, advancement and promises of bitcoin is that it is resistant to inflation due to the hard cap of 21million. If, it turns out, any two-bit script kiddie with 5 friends can effectively do so by creating a sperg-coin or what have you then people will be fully capable of extrapolating and realize the whole experiment is a bust.

That said, I also think this is the exact reason that any alt-coin won't gain ground.  Enough people are smart enough to realize this and not fall for it.

The majority of the bitcoin developers are statists and have no interest in making bitcoin more anonymous and hard to trace. There is a very good reason to have a competing currency that takes the opposite direction and has anonymity as its goal.

There are lots of things they could do to introduce these features but they are incentivised not to do so because of the larger bitcoin businesses who want less anonymity and more identification of users.

mccorvic

View Profile
March 02, 2013, 02:12:02 AM
Last edit: March 02, 2013, 04:15:36 AM by mccorvic

The majority of the bitcoin developers are statists and have no interest in making bitcoin more anonymous and hard to trace. There is a very good reason to have a competing currency that takes the opposite direction and has anonymity as its goal.

There are lots of things they could do to introduce these features but they are incentivised not to do so because of the larger bitcoin businesses who want less anonymity and more identification of users.

For the record, I'm dismissing pretty much all this out of hand. Plus, it does zero to refute any of my points.  You may not like the BTC developers and businesses, but the real world doesn't care who you like/don't like.

Another thing, even if bitcoin is $100 for one and LTC is $1 each it won't matter a lick.  If something is the equivilant of $100 USD you'll need either 1BTC or 100LTC. It's not like you some how get any sort of magical savings by going with the worthless alt-coin.

molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
March 02, 2013, 10:03:11 AM

When talking about inflation we have to keep in mind there's inflation of the money supply (well-known in advance for bitcoin) and in-/defaltion of prices. Bitcoin makes no promise about prices, it just promises a certain pre-defined behaviour of it's money supply.

Now, talking about stuff like a possible deflationary spiral does not make much sense unless bitcoin is at least a major currency. Before a substantial amount of people use bitcoin for their daily shopping and b2b is using bitcoin heavily, there can be no danger for the world economy incurred by bitcoin.

On the way there (to bitcoin becoming a major currency), there will be another interesting effect: bitcoin is actually inflating the world money supply, because bitcoin can and is being used as fiat substitute. When someone buys 1 BTC from a miner for €25, that miner will spend the €25 in the world economy. That fiat isn't gone. However let's say bitcoin is also actively being used as a currency for payments and also as a store of wealth... The buyer might buy something with his newly acquired bitcoin and the seller of the good might just keep the bitcoin or pass it on to his suppliers (clearly not the case today: he would nowadays typically have to trade it for fiat to pay his suppliers and could keep (and/or spend) his profit at most in bitcoin). Thus now we have 1 BTC and €25 both being used as money within the world economy and have effectively increased the money supply.

The ECB paper contains the related story of the Q-Coin in China:

The third aspect to examine is the interaction between the virtual currencies and the real economy.
Second Life and Bitcoin users are spread around the globe and therefore their impact should also be
interpreted globally. However, if a virtual currency scheme was to be focused on one specific
country, it could indeed have an impact on the money supply of this country. This is what happened
in China with the Chinese virtual currency scheme Q-coin, introduced by the company Tencent,
one of the leading telecom operators in the country. QQ is an instant messaging service provided by
this company that also allows virtual payments to be made with Q-coins. This currency can be
purchased by credit card or by using the remaining balance on a prepaid telephone card. The
exchange rate is fixed against the renminbi. Originally, this currency was implemented only for the
purchase of goods and services provided by Tencent. However, users started using it for person to
person (P2P) payments and some merchants also started accepting Q-coins as a means of payment.
In addition, several online games rewarded users with points that could be exchanged against
Q-coins and ultimately also against yuan in the black market. The virtual currency had evolved into
an illegal money scheme. Chinese authorities saw the amount of Q-coins traded reach several billion
yuan
in one year, after rising around 20% annually. In June 2009, the Chinese authorities decided to
ban this currency for trading in real goods in order to “limit its possible impact on the real financial
system”
.5 They also provided a definition of a virtual currency and stressed that they would only
allowed it to be used for purchasing the virtual goods and services provided by its issuer and not for
real goods and services.

sorry to quote so much from that paper, but here they actually make my point:

The economics literature has not yet addressed the effect of virtual currencies on real money and
monetary policy. One exception to this is a paper written by Peng and Sun (2009). These authors
argue that virtual currency schemes act as a medium of exchange in the real goods trade and,
therefore, that real GDP is affected and should be taken into account when assessing the effects of
virtual currency schemes on the real money supply. According to the authors, the impact of virtual
currencies on the real money supply depends on two aspects:

• a) the substitution effect of the virtual economy on the real economy. Based on a survey, they infer
    that in China the total income of the real economy tends to decrease because of virtual economic
    activities (e.g. people spending a lot of time in virtual games spend less time working in the real
    world), thereby also affecting the volume of the monetary base.
  • b) the crowding-out effect of virtual currencies on real cash. As the volume of virtual currencies
    increases, people hold less cash in real life. This causes a decrease in the cash/deposit ratio and,
    consequently, an increase in the money multiplier.

The authors argue that as the real money supply is affected by virtual currency schemes, central
banks should incorporate virtual currencies into monetary statistics in order to monitor their
volume.

The challenge that virtual currency schemes might eventually pose for the conduct of monetary
policy, in the event that these schemes manage to substantially diminish the use of central bank
sponsored currencies (replacing its roles in providing liquidity and a store of value)
, has also been
highlighted in a recent BIS document.7

So I support the "whole pie theory" (I think blablabla brought it up?): All the money in the world fights for slices of the pie. So yes: if LTC becomes more valuable, it will take pieces of pie, likely mostly from the BTC piece. But since the "cryptocurrency piece of pie" will likely increase tremendously over time, I even think there would be room for another crypto-coin. However, I currently see none of them having enough advantage over bitcoin to gain substantial foothold.

;tldr: BTC sucks up value (pie) from the FIAT currencies until there is none left. The ECB says they should take that into account in their stats. LTC can try to suck on BTC.

piramida
Legendary

Borsche

View Profile
March 02, 2013, 01:44:57 PM
Last edit: March 02, 2013, 01:57:50 PM by piramida

I doubt LTC or any other coin for that matter would be able to gain significant followers, aside from few curios types and people with no money who missed the bitcoin bandwagon.

BTC worked 5 years on adoption, business acceptance, and generally proving itself as a real deal that can be trusted - and that is the basis for the current valuation, not the raw idea or some future expectations. Alternatives have that path yet untraveled, and by the time they will be where bitcoin is now, bitcoin will naturally be 5 years ahead.

So no, it is absolutely unrealistic that a clone cryptocurrency would take any measurable portion of BTC market. Right now, they are all in different states of BTC circa 2009 - play money for a handful of geeks. For any alternative to have any significant impact, it would at least need to have some serious benefits over BTC *and* a proven track record. BTC has a track record - 5 years of uninterrupted blockchain operation. Nothing comes close. And the process of claiming market share, if we see some game changing crypto protocol one day, would be gradual - cross-rate of exchange would keep rising until it completely replaces bitcoins. I don't see anything with a slightest potential for that, yet.

The only serious market portion now taken by alt-coin is NMC, and you know what kinda portion that is - 0.1%. LTC or any other wannabecoins won't have even 0.01% in a couple of years.

i am satoshi
sublime5447
Legendary

View Profile
March 02, 2013, 10:29:13 PM

I am going to quote you on this and then throw it in your face in a year or two. Really small thinking in my mind. Ltc will be adopted much faster than BTC was. Bitcoin already proved the concept, litecoin won't have the same hurdle to cross. In 5 years they will both either be dead or widely accepted, along with some other coins too.
BitcoinAshley

Activity: 448

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 07:20:05 PM

So LTC and NMC and others are basically sucking on BTC's tit?
Makes sense, I agree with the analogy.

But I disagree that "no alt-coin will ever gain substantial traction." Basically saying that
Quote from: alt-coin_h8ers
there is only one product in the cryptocurrency market, that will ever succeed, ever, in the history of the future market in the entire world ever in all time forever and ever because I said so and I think alt-coins are silly and should only ever be 0.0000001% of the market.
This is not how a healthy market works. Even if, in 25 years, there are only 3 main cryptocurrencies - say, BTC with 94% market share, something else with 5%, and a third with 1% - then we'd still have a handful of hobby currencies trying out new features and trying to gain market acceptance. This is healthy. IMO, expecting that bitcoin is the work of God and will forever dominate 99.99999999% of the cryptocurrency market is akin to expecting an unhealthy monopolistic market with absolutely no competition or expecting that Bitcoin is the "perfect" cryptocurrency with the "perfect" features and the "perfect" everything that will absolutely never experience any problems and meets 99.99999% of the needs of 99.999999% of use cases. Is that a realistic expectation? Uhh, hmm...

Bitcoin started off great and yes, has a proven track record unlike any currently existing alt-coin. But we're only 5 years in. Why are we making grand assumptions about the future of cryptocoins? In 10 years, bitcoin will have been proving itself for 15 years but some other cryptocoins will have been around for 10+ years so what will stop them from gaining 2% of the market or something?

There's plenty of room for other playas in the game, don't be a h8er. :-P
Richy_T
Legendary

View Profile
March 04, 2013, 01:39:39 AM

There's plenty of room for other playas in the game, don't be a h8er. :-P

True. Though I think for anything to not be eclipsed by Bitcoin, it will have to offer something that bitcoin does not and occupy a different niche. Consider that in the Galapagos, there were birds operating in several roles that mammals typically occupy in the wider world. They could do so, not because there was room for more than one animal in that role but because there were no mammals to fill that role in the Galapagos.

WRT Litecoin, I'm not particularly familiar with it but looking at its webpage, http://litecoin.org/ , it seems it doesn't really offer anything that bitcoin does not except, perhaps to the miners. And Bitcoin is about done with mining being a dominant part of its lifecycle. Good luck to it but I don't think it will be in my portfolio. Other currencies? Need exploring on a case-by-case basis.

pretendo

Activity: 112

View Profile
March 04, 2013, 01:50:40 AM

Fear is more powerful than greed. We've just broken the ceiling of last time, and nobody thinks this is the time to buy. I bet people have dumped their coins so they don't get burned like last time. The fact that it has stabilized rather than crashed instantly indicates that it's not the same beast. Prices are going to keep rising, slowly but surely.
piramida
Legendary

Borsche

View Profile
March 04, 2013, 07:55:14 AM

In 10 years, bitcoin will have been proving itself for 15 years but some other cryptocoins will have been around for 10+ years so what will stop them from gaining 2% of the market or something?

Definitely it's possible and even sooner. Just missing one part - substantial improvement. You don't just fork bitcoin code for that, there needs to be solid intellectual investment. Shortcomings of bitcoin are well known - just need an elegant solution. I don't see one around, but maybe because I'm the "h8ter" Smiley Slight "improvement" over btc will not cut it, it needs to be substantial. Any kid can take the code, up the coin limit 4 times, mine some for himself and call it kidcoin, but that's not serious. Once any serious organization steps in and starts their alt-coins, I'll be watching, now - nothing comes close.

i am satoshi
Bit_Happy (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 04:08:27 AM

Panic buy!
You need to buy now before we hit $49, $59, $69, $89!!    Cheesy

Bit_Happy (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 07:00:57 AM

Q) Since this thread was started, only one thing was missing, do you know what that is?

deathcode
Copper Member

Activity: 1428
Merit: 253

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 07:08:56 AM

The rally is over.. LMFAO

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
Mars,           
here we come!
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
ElonCoin.org.
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"

▬▬▬▬▬
piramida
Legendary

Borsche

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 08:13:36 AM

yeah this is definitely the top. we are never going above 41, since it's just like 31 in 2011 Cheesy

i am satoshi
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 11:25:50 AM

nobody thinks this is the time to buy

Y'know son...

Nobody thinks this is the time to sell. That is why the market is rising.

When it is going down, then your assumption makes sense.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
Richy_T
Legendary

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 07:18:31 PM

Did you see it? We crashed to 39. Soon enough for you? My, it gave me a real feeling of nostalgia to be back in the 30s. Took me back to the heady times of early this AM when you could buy three quarters and still get change from a dollar (copper/nickel quarters, that is. Real ones are too rich for my blood).

mccorvic

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 07:34:18 PM

Did you see it? We crashed to 39. Soon enough for you? My, it gave me a real feeling of nostalgia to be back in the 30s. Took me back to the heady times of early this AM when you could buy three quarters and still get change from a dollar (copper/nickel quarters, that is. Real ones are too rich for my blood).

I lol'd.

Rally will end when I decide, everyone.

Nesetalis

View Profile
March 06, 2013, 02:28:17 AM

please... please drop back down to low 20s... please? D:
XD I want to buy more!

ZOMG Moo!
Cluster2k
Legendary

Activity: 1692
Merit: 1018

View Profile
March 06, 2013, 02:37:28 AM

Another dollar up per bitcoin in the last couple of hours.

There comes a point in time where the price growth becomes exponential.  We saw it in 2011 shortly before the collapse.  Is $2 or more growth per day sustainable?  Who are the buyers?  Are they buying simply because the price is going up?  That's a classic bubble.  It's not different this time.

While I was typing this the price spiked another 50c...
Nesetalis

View Profile
March 06, 2013, 03:12:06 AM

up to 44$ now..
were def in a real bubble now, this spike is nuts.

ZOMG Moo!
justusranvier
Legendary

Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 06, 2013, 03:12:48 AM

up to 44$ now..
were def in a real bubble now, this spike is nuts.
You mean $45.
Nesetalis

View Profile
March 06, 2013, 03:28:46 AM

Tongue too fast for accuracy.

ZOMG Moo!
CubedRoot

View Profile
March 06, 2013, 03:30:20 AM

I sold ALOT of btc around the $31.50 mark. I am kicking myself in the ass right about now because I thought it was going to be over around $33. 
Nesetalis

View Profile
March 06, 2013, 03:33:38 AM

I sold 20 at 27$, I'm not kicking myself, it gave me fluid capital to buy and sell  in the dips and peaks over the past few weeks.
Now i've sold 5 BTC at 41, going to sell another 10 at 50$ (if it hits there) Then I'm sitting for a while to watch the market. I also have an order placed to buy in another 20 at 20$

ZOMG Moo!
bbit
Legendary

Activity: 1330

Bitcoin

View Profile
March 06, 2013, 03:54:04 AM

It's only going to get better $50 by friday!

█████████████████     ████████
       ████████              ████████
     ████████     ███████  ████████     ████████
    ████████     █████████████████     ████████
████████     ████████  ███████     ████████
          ████████     █████████████████
▄▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██     
██
██
▬▬ THE LARGEST & MOST TRUSTED ▬▬
      BITCOIN SPORTSBOOK     
   ▄▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██     
██
██
             ▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▄
     ▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀        ▀▄▄▄▄           
▄▀▀▀▀                 █   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄
█                    ▀▄          █
 █   ▀▌     ██▄        █          █               
 ▀▄        ▐████▄       █        █
  █        ███████▄     ▀▄       █
   █      ▐████▄█████████████████████▄
   ▀▄     ███████▀                  ▀██
    █      ▀█████    ▄▄        ▄▄    ██
     █       ▀███   ████      ████   ██
     ▀▄        ██    ▀▀        ▀▀    ██
      █        ██        ▄██▄        ██
       █       ██        ▀██▀        ██
       ▀▄      ██    ▄▄        ▄▄    ██
        █      ██   ████      ████   ██
         █▄▄▄▄▀██    ▀▀        ▀▀    ██
               ██▄                  ▄██
                ▀████████████████████▀

CASINO  ●  DICE  ●  POKER   
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
   24 hour Customer Support   

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Dargo
Legendary

Activity: 1820

View Profile
March 06, 2013, 04:01:49 AM

Price is getting pretty vertical now, and we are getting extended pretty far a away from the 10 day EMA. Doesn't mean $45 is the top, the vertical move could go for a bit more, but this momentum probably won't be sustainable for much longer. Even during the initial bubble to $32 in 2011, price wasn't able to stay elevated way above the 10 day for long. So I think some kind of correction, even if it is a sideways correction (i.e. where we trade sideways till the 10 day catches up), is coming sometime in the next few days.  
Nesetalis

View Profile
March 06, 2013, 04:07:46 AM

You might be right. I almost wish I was trading on MtGox right now, sadly Virwox lags behind and never peaks quite as high or dips quite as low. Safer bet, but less room for huge profit.

ZOMG Moo!
Peter Lambert

View Profile
March 06, 2013, 09:12:33 PM

"Do you think the rally is over now... or very soon?"

Yes, I think the rally will be over soon, time wise.

In previous run ups there has consistently been a steeply increasing price just before the top. The past day or so has seen a large acceleration of the price climb. Therefore, I beleive we are nearing the top and in the next couple days the price will continue shooting up to new heights and then drop back some. After the incline breaks, there will be consolidation and a stabilizing price for some time.

Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

Activity: 1638

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
March 10, 2013, 04:05:51 PM

You might be right. I almost wish I was trading on MtGox right now, sadly Virwox lags behind and never peaks quite as high or dips quite as low. Safer bet, but less room for huge profit.

You are assuming that Mtgox lets you trade at the top moments.  The reality is it takes 15 minutes just to cancel an order, god knows where the price will be when your order gets through.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
March 10, 2013, 04:54:15 PM

You are assuming that Mtgox lets you trade at the top moments.  The reality is it takes 15 minutes just to cancel an order, god knows where the price will be when your order gets through.

exactly... what happens when 1000 blind monkeys hit buy/sell keys? Right: VOLATILITY Wink

Nesetalis

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 03:19:58 AM

yay! crash!... aw.. its over.

ZOMG Moo!
Peter Lambert

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 03:38:19 AM

yay! crash!... aw.. its over.

Meh, bear trap again. All the people who have been holding bitcoins wanting to sell them are dumping them to the people who want bitcoins, so now there will be little supply and the price will shoot upwards again.

johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 05:04:43 AM

The rally is over, finally  Wink

molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 08:10:49 AM

I wouldn't be so sure.

Ichthyo

Activity: 602

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 08:26:01 AM

honestly, did anything happen for real, yes?

We know before that the bitcoin protocol is resillient even against some flaws in the concrete bitcoin software, and we witnessed a practical demonstration of this. Fine. Maybe we even get a red candle for today out of this, which would strengthen our current position. Moreover, hopefully anyone believing we'll see $200 next week will come back to reality.

But beyond that, I don't see in what way the fundamental situation would have been changed, right now.
zyphus

Activity: 28

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 08:35:56 AM

I agree, I also don't think creating walls is very healthy to promote trade amongst new or existing members.
Domrada

Activity: 254

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2013, 12:08:32 AM

HA!

good one

Wink

DataTrading
TRADE FORECASTING BY ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE
¦
PRE-SALE SPECIAL  30%  BONUS   
Pre sale starts on 11.20.2017 9:00 UTC
phatsphere

Activity: 763

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 12:32:10 AM

HA!

good one

Wink

once in a while, bears also have their laughter. be prepared: SELL SELL SELL.
BitPirate

RMBTB.com: The secure BTC:CNY exchange. 0% fee!

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 01:05:49 AM

A temporary weekend blip at worst.

Good luck jumping back on the train when it's heading for $60 next week.

BUY BUY BUY

yokosan

Activity: 700

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 09:05:50 AM

A temporary weekend blip at worst.

Good luck jumping back on the train when it's heading for $60 next week.

BUY BUY BUY

Yet it's not even the weekend yet.

Meanwhile the wall at $48 gets stronger and stronger.

Not time to buy just yet.
afbitcoins
Legendary

Merit: 1061

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2013, 11:36:06 AM

Yes it is possible the rally is over because we are near the top of a long term rising channel. However I personnally think the rally is not over yet, there could be a breakout past $50 in the near future and then much higher prices to come.

From my blog

I think we'll get t third attempt to breakout, which if it fails will rebound back strongly yet again, we'll breakthrough at some point in the near future.
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 01:25:45 PM

There is a huge resistance now in $48-49. Rather pointless to buy short term now. For long-term accumulation (especially with megabuck$) this is a good area with stable prices.

The support is around $30 and inching up. I don't really see a crash right now towards the support line, but my inability to see has never stopped the crash from happening.

Imo, many want to sell as the rally has stalled. They will find buyers at around these levels for weeks to come. When $40 or $50 is breached, we will see some serious price action Smiley

klee
Legendary

Activity: 1498

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 01:40:45 PM

Yes it is possible the rally is over because we are near the top of a long term rising channel. However I personnally think the rally is not over yet, there could be a breakout past $50 in the near future and then much higher prices to come.

From my blog

I think we'll get t third attempt to breakout, which if it fails will rebound back strongly yet again, we'll breakthrough at some point in the near future.

AF I really liked your blog and posted your last entry in a fb group I am admin (Bitcoin Greece).

Keep up posting there I will cover you...
afbitcoins
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2013, 04:13:05 PM

AF I really liked your blog and posted your last entry in a fb group I am admin (Bitcoin Greece).

Keep up posting there I will cover you...

Thanks klee I appreciate your comment very much Smiley

I think bitcoins could become very important in the future particularly in countries such as Greece which are being oppressed via control of money, ie the euro in that instance.
yokosan

Activity: 700

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 07:30:38 PM

I've said it before and I will say it again.

If the price is to rise, who the fuck is buying?

I do believe bitcoin can rise $1k+ but that will NEVER happen when buyers are dependant on exchanges like mtgox.

The explosion begins once aunt jane can buy it with her credit card and bitcoin addresses are as simple as jane@coinbank.btc
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 07:41:53 PM

Institutions such as this one will pop up, and start buying in lots of $million:
https://www.silverbank.net/

I do believe bitcoin can rise $1k+ but that will NEVER happen when buyers are dependant on exchanges like mtgox.

The explosion begins once aunt jane can buy it with her credit card and bitcoin addresses are as simple as jane@coinbank.btc

Richy_T
Legendary

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 07:55:32 PM

No reason it couldn't...
$ dig rich.blahblahblah.com txt

; <<>> DiG 9.4.1 <<>> rich.blahblahblah.com txt
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 25563
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 5, ADDITIONAL: 17

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;rich.blahblahblah.com.               IN      TXT

;; ANSWER SECTION:
rich.blahblahblah.com.        1800    IN      TXT     "13qnEgPTxJW6mm88dLpnHXZyryN5EXBciq"

Though I think firstbits has a lot of mileage. Perhaps a combination of the two.

stereotype
Legendary

Activity: 1554

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 07:57:07 PM

You are so bang on the money with that last sentence.
afbitcoins
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2013, 08:49:22 PM

I think there'll be several explosions on the way up before that point, each one orders of magnitude bigger than the last. This one might be fuelled by smart investors who are just starting to see the potential.
Peter Lambert

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 01:53:34 PM

I seem to remember one of the webwallets I used in the past had a feature where you could send btc to an email address, if that email address did not already have an account with this service then they would send an email to the email with directions on how to open an account and claim the btc sent.

To answer OP: Yes, I think the rally has ended and we are at the plateau stage again. See how the price spiked up about march 7th, and we have been consolidating ever since.

jwzguy

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 06:55:11 PM

We're already basically there with Coinbase.

rpietila
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 07:21:03 PM

Yes, and with Silvervault you can also buy BTC directly by just depositing your trading bank account, no ordering process necessary. (In beta for partners only at this stage)

https://www.silverbank.net

molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 03:58:03 PM

there have been 3 "steps" in the 2011 runup to the bubble (from base of about $1):

• the jump to $2
  • the jump to $4
  • the jump to $9

So the top of the current bubble is either 450, 225 or 100 depending what "jump" the current one is similar to.

I don't believe in this fractal stuff applying to markets somehow, though.

This is quite interesting to recall.

zeroday
Donator

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 04:10:46 PM

Just note that every significant "crash" in the past has been triggered by major exchange failure.
Now, to achieve similar results you would need to have all the exchanges down/hacked at the same moment.

molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 04:11:49 PM

Just note that every significant "crash" in the past has been triggered by major exchange failure.
Now, to achieve similar results you would need to have all the exchanges down/hacked at the same moment.

I disagree the 2011 crash was caused by exchange failure. It's debatable, but the mtgox hack and week-long shutdown was well after the top was reached.

Tirapon

Activity: 898

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 04:13:16 PM

Great thread to dig up. Its always amusing to read posts calling the top, even below the $50 low of the crash.
zeroday
Donator

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 04:14:48 PM

By the way, all the previous "crashes" now can be interpreted as huge long lasting bear traps.
Only bears were affected, not hoarders.
Tirapon

Activity: 898

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 04:42:24 PM

Yeah I was pretty confident it would end up looking that way. Nice to be proven right.  Grin
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 08:14:34 AM

I disagree the 2011 crash was caused by exchange failure. It's debatable, but the mtgox hack and week-long shutdown was well after the top was reached.

I think that neither was the "first crash of 2013". It was a bubble, it deserved to pop. It popped. Here we are. Soon we have a bubble. Then it will pop. Etc. etc. Circumstances have their role but they do not change the fundamentals nor the technicals.

jjaquarius

Activity: 11

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 03:41:47 PM

Thing is: I don't want it to explode. And it's not exploding.... a good thing.

I am from Mastercoin Foundation.
One of our board members mentioned that we would love to have your participation as part of our Smart Contracts Advisory Board.

We are building a consortium of crypto-finance firms to ensure that Bitcoin entrepreneurs benefit from a distributed system of trading firms for issuing smart tokens on Bitcoin.  We believe that will be a BIG revenue opportunity for trading firms like CCCC
The role of this advisory board is to provide an opportunity for Bitcoin industry members to influence the direction of the Master Protocol.

Perhaps we can have a chat about whether this is something you can participate in?

Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.
Thanks
Judith

porcupine87

Activity: 546

hm

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 03:47:50 PM

if your entire analysis is based on "look what happened last time" then i think it's you that has no common sense.

that is 90% of all analysis here.

"Morality, it could be argued, represents the way that people would like the world to work - whereas economics represents how it actually does work." Freakonomics
feverpitch

Activity: 379

View Profile
April 27, 2018, 07:59:18 AM

I also a bitcoin holder and I’m aware of its instability but I’ll take the risks. The price can rise and fall without any backgrounds and playing could be very tricky and unsafe business.
gabmen

Activity: 1246
Merit: 529

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
April 29, 2018, 02:54:13 PM

I think that neither was the "first crash of 2013". It was a bubble, it deserved to pop. It popped. Here we are. Soon we have a bubble. Then it will pop. Etc. etc. Circumstances have their role but they do not change the fundamentals nor the technicals.

Well the recent "crashes" weren't because of any major exchange failure though. Several fuds along with the natural correction did us in there. And of course this rally would have its own correction that's for sure so i don't think there's any big deal with it. It's going to come.back up anyways

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.YoBit AirDrop $.|.Get 700 YoDollars for Free!.🏆
Report to moderator 

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       ..███████████████████████████████
sakokinak

Merit: 101

View Profile
May 28, 2018, 02:48:18 PM

As a holder of BTC, I am expecting that the cryptocurrency will be swinging. Down and up - up and down: it will be the picture of the market these days.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: