Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 11:31:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 ... 169 »
  Print  
Author Topic: If Bitcoin had a stable price, would it still be as popular?  (Read 171696 times)
Doamader

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 18, 2016, 01:33:47 PM

I do believe a big part of the first people which joined bitcoin would still here, soo yes a stable price could made bitcoin be more stronger then the current one, but the thing is people went rich with bitcoins with a stable price some investors wont make such.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
drwtsn32

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 18, 2016, 01:39:12 PM

We can't really say for sure. But look, USD is stable but it is the most popular currency. What can you say about that?
Maybe the same thing could happen to bitcoin.
ObscureBean
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2016, 01:58:59 PM

Do you think if BTC had a stable price which could only be altered by $0.01-0.10 it would still be as popular and as used?
i do not think that Bitcoin would be as popular as it is right now because people make use of it because the price is not stable and you can make money with it.
If it was stable then that option would not be there so people would not make use of it.
I think bitcoin will continue to be popular no matter what happens. even now and some time ago the price of bitcoin had experienced several times the price is stable and you can see bitcoin is not left behind by the people?
bitcoin still growing as usual

In this scenario we're assuming that Bitcoin is permanently stable, you can't compare this to the few times where Bitcoin value didn't move much for months. Even when the price wasn't moving, everyone was still counting on it to go up at some point. If you remove this hope completely, like if Bitcoin price is permanently fixed at say $600, the majority of people would lose interest because they can no longer dream that one day Bitcoin will make them rich

Isn't that what various pump&dump groups specifically aim to achieve, i.e. instill an idea that price, for example, may be permanently fixed at some value? And when a lot of people become filled with that idea, they push the price in the direction where it is easiest to push and then strip the insecure public off of their money?

There is one thing worse than false hope, and that is false hopelessness

What are you even talking about here dude? I don't mean to offend you but I've noticed from a few of your replies that you don't seem to understand my comments.
What I'm talking about has got nothing to do with anything you wrote here. What I'm saying is simple, most people hope/want Bitcoin price to go up, everyone dreams of getting rich someday, no matter how silly or unrealistic it is. If Bitcoin value was fixed, there would be no possibility of making money. Like holding $100 for however long will not get you rich, same goes with Bitcoin, if the price was fixed/permanently stable at $600, holding it for 10 years wouldn't make you rich.
deisik
Legendary

Activity: 3444
Merit: 1280

English ⬄ Russian Translation Services

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2016, 02:53:38 PM

Do you think if BTC had a stable price which could only be altered by $0.01-0.10 it would still be as popular and as used?
i do not think that Bitcoin would be as popular as it is right now because people make use of it because the price is not stable and you can make money with it.
If it was stable then that option would not be there so people would not make use of it.
I think bitcoin will continue to be popular no matter what happens. even now and some time ago the price of bitcoin had experienced several times the price is stable and you can see bitcoin is not left behind by the people?

In this scenario we're assuming that Bitcoin is permanently stable, you can't compare this to the few times where Bitcoin value didn't move much for months. Even when the price wasn't moving, everyone was still counting on it to go up at some point. If you remove this hope completely, like if Bitcoin price is permanently fixed at say $600, the majority of people would lose interest because they can no longer dream that one day Bitcoin will make them rich

Isn't that what various pump&dump groups specifically aim to achieve, i.e. instill an idea that price, for example, may be permanently fixed at some value? And when a lot of people become filled with that idea, they push the price in the direction where it is easiest to push and then strip the insecure public off of their money?

What are you even talking about here dude? I don't mean to offend you but I've noticed from a few of your replies that you don't seem to understand my comments.
What I'm talking about has got nothing to do with anything you wrote here. What I'm saying is simple, most people hope/want Bitcoin price to go up, everyone dreams of getting rich someday, no matter how silly or unrealistic it is. If Bitcoin value was fixed, there would be no possibility of making money. Like holding $100 for however long will not get you rich, same goes with Bitcoin, if the price was fixed/permanently stable at $600, holding it for 10 years wouldn't make you rich.

Yes, people are dreaming of getting rich someday, and if the price didn't move a dollar a month, these dreams would obviously be severely undermined and exhausted. And what might people be inclined to do then? I guess they would want to get rid of their bitcoins, since it would make little sense to keep them as you yourself seem to imply. So the pump&dump groups wouldn't even need to spend their money on either moving the price up or down. They would just need to keep the price constant for some time before it collapses on its own thanks to people losing faith in Bitcoin, as you yourself claim. And I gather keeping the price constant requires less funds than moving it anywhere unless and until the critical mass is reached to render the final blow. This is just another way of stripping the masses off of their wealth which you are evidently not familiar with...

Which other comments do you think I didn't quite understand?

bamboylee

Merit: 504

View Profile
October 18, 2016, 02:56:23 PM

If it is just moving by 1cents it is not stable, it is stagnant and most probably dead. For me, stable bitcoin means.there is no fluctuating price but have a steady and stable growth. And I think if this things happen, there will be more people who will prefer to use bitcoin over dollars.
abugseuf

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 18, 2016, 03:31:12 PM

We can't really say for sure. But look, USD is stable but it is the most popular currency. What can you say about that?
yes that is a fact that USD is really a stable currency and is one of the most popular currency of the world. so we can say that bitcoin is really going to be one of the most popular currency of the world.
ObscureBean
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2016, 03:40:45 PM

Yes, people are dreaming of getting rich someday, and if the price didn't move a dollar a month, these dreams would obviously be severely undermined and exhausted. And what might people be inclined to do then? I guess they would want to get rid of their bitcoins, since it would make little sense to keep them as you yourself seem to imply. So the pump&dump groups wouldn't even need to spend their money on either moving the price up or down. They would just need to keep the price constant for some time before it collapses on its own thanks to people losing faith in Bitcoin, as you yourself claim. And I gather keeping the price constant requires less funds than moving it anywhere unless and until the critical mass is reached to render the final blow. This is just another way of stripping the masses off of their wealth which you are evidently not familiar with...

Which other comments do you think I didn't quite understand?

Nevermind about other comments, you still don't get what I'm talking about in this one and I don't think you're trolling either. I understand what you're saying in your comment, some of your analysis may even be a fair guess but it still has nothing to do with the point I was trying to make. It seems we're on completely different wavelengths. I'm sorry but I don't feel I can be any clearer, it could be I'm not finding the right words  Embarrassed
randy8777
Legendary

Activity: 896

View Profile
October 18, 2016, 03:41:24 PM

people use the us dollar on a massive scale because it's tied to nearly everything in the world. but these people use it because they have no other option. it's there so they use it. but that doesn't say it's popular as in loved/liked by people. it's fiat after all, that is losing value year after year. i can't really be happy with something that brings my wealth down while i haven't done anything.
Woodie

Activity: 1806
Merit: 871

Rollbit.com ⚔️Crypto Futures

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2016, 03:49:42 PM

I see gold not to be too popular despite being around for a long time so Bitcoin having a stable price just might be a different case and can prove popular as it can be used for several kinds of uses

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
mishra1994u

Activity: 196

View Profile
October 18, 2016, 03:56:50 PM

For me i doesnt matter if bitcoin doesnt have a stable price because i will not make much difference to me,i am the one who uses small amount of bitcoins and some price change will not make much difference to those small amounts,but i will like if bitcoin become more stable.
barabash

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 18, 2016, 04:29:43 PM

If this happens, those wishing to use Bitcoin will become much smaller. Bitcoin will become uninteresting to investors. lost popularity
chaser15
Legendary

Activity: 2688
Merit: 1065

Undeads.com - P2E Runner Game

View Profile
October 18, 2016, 04:56:32 PM

For me i doesnt matter if bitcoin doesnt have a stable price because i will not make much difference to me,i am the one who uses small amount of bitcoins and some price change will not make much difference to those small amounts,but i will like if bitcoin become more stable.

And in the first place, if bitcoin have a stable price since the beginning, people will look into it as an alternative way to send and receive money and not just by investment purposes.

With this kind of price behaviour if ever it will happened in bitcoin, I see most merchants will accept as one of their payment method since they doesn't need to worry too much about price fluctuations.

💀|.
   ▄▄▄▄█▄▄              ▄▄█▀▀  ▄▄▄▄▄█      ▄▄    ▄█▄
  ▀▀▀████████▄  ▄██    ███▀ ▄████▀▀▀     ▄███   ▄███
    ███▀▄▄███▀ ███▀   ███▀  ▀█████▄     ▄███   ████▄
  ▄███████▀   ███   ▄███       ▀▀████▄▄███████████▀
▀▀███▀▀███    ███ ▄████       ▄▄████▀▀████   ▄███
 ██▀    ▀██▄  ██████▀▀   ▄▄█████▀▀   ███▀   ▄██▀
          ▀▀█  ▀▀▀▀ ▄██████▀▀       ███▀    █▀
                                      ▀
.PLAY2EARN.RUNNER.GAME.
||VIRAL
REF.SYSTEM
GAME
|
████████████████████████████
██████ ▄▀██████████  ███████
███████▄▀▄▀██████  █████████
█████████▄▀▄▀██  ███████████
███████████▄▀▄ █████████████
███████████  ▄▀▄▀███████████
█████████  ████▄▀▄▀█████████
███████  ████████▄▀ ████████
████████▀▀▄██████▄▀▀████████
███████  ▀        ▀  ███████
██████                ██████
█████▌   ███    ███   ▐█████
█████▌   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀   ▐█████
██████                ██████
███████▄  ▀██████▀  ▄███████
Mastsetad

Activity: 672

View Profile
October 18, 2016, 04:57:27 PM

If this happens, those wishing to use Bitcoin will become much smaller. Bitcoin will become uninteresting to investors. lost popularity

Ofcourse that would happen because mostly the ones who are coming to bitcoin for investing are those who wants to get profits out of it which is only possible of the price keeps fluctuating so if it was stable it would not have been so popular at all.
deisik
Legendary

Activity: 3444
Merit: 1280

English ⬄ Russian Translation Services

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2016, 05:52:45 PM
Last edit: October 18, 2016, 06:09:44 PM by deisik

Nevermind about other comments, you still don't get what I'm talking about in this one and I don't think you're trolling either. I understand what you're saying in your comment, some of your analysis may even be a fair guess but it still has nothing to do with the point I was trying to make. It seems we're on completely different wavelengths. I'm sorry but I don't feel I can be any clearer, it could be I'm not finding the right words  Embarrassed

Even when the price wasn't moving, everyone was still counting on it to go up at some point. If you remove this hope completely, like if Bitcoin price is permanently fixed at say $600, the majority of people would lose interest because they can no longer dream that one day Bitcoin will make them rich

I am not challenging your point as such in the first place, namely, people losing interest due to prices being stagnant (that was the message you tried to convey). If people lose interest and faith in Bitcoin because "they can no longer dream that one day Bitcoin will make them rich", the price in no case will remain at $600. Or do you really think that given their lost interest, people will as well forget about the bitcoins they stashed in the vain hope of getting rich fast? They will obviously try to sell their stashes. And now back to what it all started with, isn't that exactly what pumpers and dumpers might want the general public to feel (so "they can no longer dream") with the aim of making them dump their coins cheap as soon as possible (when "you remove this hope completely")? As I said (not me actually but still), there is one thing worse than false hope, and that is false hopelessness (i.e. people falsely no longer hoping for a price rise in the future)...

And then you proceed to claim that I seem not to understand your comments. Who is actually not understanding whom?

ekoice

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 18, 2016, 06:04:29 PM

Bitcoin would be still popular even if it had a stable price. Due to stability in its price, more companies have started to accept bitcoin. Due to low transaction fees, Bitcoin would be still popular.
btcking101

Activity: 140

View Profile
October 18, 2016, 06:07:27 PM

Bitcoin would be still popular even if it had a stable price. Due to stability in its price, more companies have started to accept bitcoin. Due to low transaction fees, Bitcoin would be still popular.
Yes,even it could have become more popular because many companies and people dont accept bitcoin because of its instability in price but if it becomes stable then more and more companies would start accpeting it,and surely bitcoin could became even more popular after that.
Doamader

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 18, 2016, 06:31:26 PM

Yes,even it could have become more popular because many companies and people dont accept bitcoin because of its instability in price but if it becomes stable then more and more companies would start accpeting it,and surely bitcoin could became even more popular after that.
Lets look at gold, the price has jumped on the last years, but its value were stable and people did invest huge ammounts at it, if bitcoin were something less volatil we could be and see big companies working with bitcoin already.
Piltover

Activity: 364

View Profile
October 19, 2016, 02:03:16 AM

No most likely it will not be so popular as it has become in the years because it was unstable and due to that profitable.
Without a unstable price it would never came so far.
lootz
Legendary

Activity: 806

View Profile
October 19, 2016, 02:04:44 AM

i think if more people know about bitcoin then bitcoin can be popular and its not about bitcoin had a stable price, its about more people that will want to know and use bitcoin itself that will make bitcoin more popular
traderethereum

Activity: 2870
Merit: 574

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2016, 02:47:28 AM

i think for now the price of bitcoin is stable, not much to go up and not much to go down, and bitcoin still become popular as we see that more attracted people will use bitcoin for many thing. and if this is for future, then bitcoin still always popular as long as many people still using bitcoin.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 ... 169 »
  Print  

Jump to: