Bitcoin Forum
June 18, 2024, 12:48:28 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ... 156 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Steemit.com: Blogging is the new Mining  (Read 348421 times)
steem

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 13, 2016, 09:20:59 PM

seriously guys.
please fix the account creation form and my account.
I gave 2 different passwords and accidently clicked on submit and it submitted.
it took the first one with less then 16 characters and now I can't log in with facebook any more and new creation is not possible as well...

Thanks, we're working quickly to make sign up as seamless as possible. Do you know which browser was used when the account creation failed?
fuznutts

Activity: 158
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 14, 2016, 04:01:25 PM

seriously guys.
please fix the account creation form and my account.
I gave 2 different passwords and accidently clicked on submit and it submitted.
it took the first one with less then 16 characters and now I can't log in with facebook any more and new creation is not possible as well...

Thanks, we're working quickly to make sign up as seamless as possible. Do you know which browser was used when the account creation failed?

Just posted our latest beyond bitcoin hangout (episode number 154!).  You can join steem and comment/upvote at the following link]

Finally we have a way to pay people who contribute to our community and we are screaming about it from the mountain tops!
favdesu
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2016, 07:52:33 PM

I don't quite understand how you get rewarded for voting. do I have to be the FIRST up-voter to get a share or AMONGST the first voters to get something?

smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
May 16, 2016, 08:07:30 PM

I don't quite understand how you get rewarded for voting. do I have to be the FIRST up-voter to get a share or AMONGST the first voters to get something?

Amongst the first, the details of the complicated math are in the white paper, but that is the gist of it. Some of the early marketing material incorrect says "the first" but that is slowly getting cleaned up.
IOTUSA

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 17, 2016, 03:05:55 PM

Hey, no more self-moderated thread, now you can't delete my post:

I guess you'll probably lock this thread in the not too distant future and move on to the fourth or fifth thread for this, right? Gotta keep the information spread out and difficult to cobble together how you launched this "currency" I guess. Maybe you should try changing the name too, I hear that's a common tactic of worthless penny stocks and crypto snake oil to lure in more sucker...err...investors.

Of course it is. The 'devs' are just looking at other coins and making shit up as they go. Market cap like a serious coin, hah.. yeah I'll buy this coin when hell freezes over. 'fair launch' and 75% of coins distributed in a few months. You have got to be smoking crack if you believe that.

The fact that some moron calls themselves "CEO" of a coin is the surest sign that it's 100% scam. Don't worry though, pretty sure the devs already dumped the MASSIVE premine and will be just fine with a few $100k of idiots-money.

IOTUSA

Activity: 504

View Profile
May 17, 2016, 03:13:51 PM

We used Steem to release our Whitepaper!

https://steemit.com/peerplays/@peerplays/peerplays-whitepaper

So far from the votes given we are up to nearly $9k for our quality post!

Posting our whitepaper for Peerplays to the blockchain just felt right.

The pace at which Steemit is developing is phenomenal and is one of the most exciting projects in crypto now in our estimation.

Yeah, and no one sees a problem with a fucking whitepaper earning $9 THOUSAND imaginary shit-dollars because someone upvotes it? If you think that's a working business model you need medication. This alone is proof that this entire experiment was just a premine scam.

pharesim

Activity: 423

View Profile
May 17, 2016, 03:47:31 PM

75% of coins distributed in a few months

And another one, throwing around false numbers and showing that he has no idea what he's talking about. When you want to argue against something, use facts that withstand a short check (in this example: a look at the inflation rate.)

Yeah, and no one sees a problem with a fucking whitepaper earning $9 THOUSAND imaginary shit-dollars because someone upvotes it?

I could tell you that you're missing some more facts again, but i assume you don't care anyway.
Indemnified

Activity: 216
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 17, 2016, 05:21:03 PM

75% of coins distributed in a few months

And another one, throwing around false numbers and showing that he has no idea what he's talking about. When you want to argue against something, use facts that withstand a short check (in this example: a look at the inflation rate.)

Yeah, and no one sees a problem with a fucking whitepaper earning $9 THOUSAND imaginary shit-dollars because someone upvotes it?

I could tell you that you're missing some more facts again, but i assume you don't care anyway.

He seems to think that vulgarity and crude language can somehow take the place of reasoned argument. Unfortunately, for some it does.
jeffthebaker
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1034

View Profile
May 17, 2016, 10:16:15 PM

I'm trying to create an account on steemit and seem to be unable to do so. Initially, I tried signing up through reddit, and it returned error: verified facebook account required. I then went back and signed up through my facebook account, and got the same error message. I assume this is something on your guys' end, but please let me know if there is a workaround so I can make an account, because I love the concept behind this project.
Yes, this was a bug on our end. It's fixed already, please try to create an account again, this is the link https://steemit.com/create_account
Don't hesitate to send me PM if something doesn't work.

Cool. Just got an account set up and made. How exactly do I navigate the site? Having trouble finding some more niche or regular bloggers to follow or whatnot. The frontpage is nice but would like some genuine blogging/conversation.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
May 17, 2016, 11:00:58 PM

I'm trying to create an account on steemit and seem to be unable to do so. Initially, I tried signing up through reddit, and it returned error: verified facebook account required. I then went back and signed up through my facebook account, and got the same error message. I assume this is something on your guys' end, but please let me know if there is a workaround so I can make an account, because I love the concept behind this project.
Yes, this was a bug on our end. It's fixed already, please try to create an account again, this is the link https://steemit.com/create_account

Cool. Just got an account set up and made. How exactly do I navigate the site? Having trouble finding some more niche or regular bloggers to follow or whatnot. The frontpage is nice but would like some genuine blogging/conversation.

Good question. Maybe a page showing various leaderboards such as most upvoted posters, categories, etc. or something would be interesting. For now you just have to find them by finding an interesting post and then clicking on the poster's name.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
May 17, 2016, 11:03:36 PM

Yeah, and no one sees a problem with a fucking whitepaper earning $9 THOUSAND imaginary shit-dollars because someone upvotes it? If you think that's a working business model you need medication. This alone is proof that this entire experiment was just a premine scam.

Since your comment, the original is now already down to $5K from $9K. The way this works is there is a pool of money that will be paid out as the megareward July 4, split among all the posts, comments and votes between launch and July 4th. There will be many more by then so each post will be earning a lot less.

After July 4th the payments will be continuous at a much lower rate (as opposed to the one-time megareward) so most of the rewards will also be lower. Very popular posts may still get nice rewards.

jeffthebaker
Legendary

View Profile
May 18, 2016, 01:09:00 AM

Good question. Maybe a page showing various leaderboards such as most upvoted posters, categories, etc. or something would be interesting. For now you just have to find them by finding an interesting post and then clicking on the poster's name.

I think that would be a really cool addition.

Last question: How do withdrawals work? Is that what the 'power down' option is for? I tried messing around with it and it returned an error. I don't plan on withdrawing but it's hard to trust the legitimacy of the operation without a viable way to withdraw my steem.
pharesim

View Profile
May 18, 2016, 01:20:54 AM

Last question: How do withdrawals work? Is that what the 'power down' option is for? I tried messing around with it and it returned an error. I don't plan on withdrawing but it's hard to trust the legitimacy of the operation without a viable way to withdraw my steem.

Yes, powering down starts withdrawing your vests to steem. The GUI is buggy because of ongoing development, just try again later. Works fine with the cli, your keys are available from the permissions section on steemit, no need to worry about your funds.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
May 18, 2016, 01:21:14 AM

"Power down" converts your Steem Power to liquid Steem. It takes place over 104 weekly payments. However, if you got a free starter account with minimum Steem Power, you can't power that down that until you reach 10x.

Withdraws work like any other web wallet, but you can only withdraw liquid Steam or Steem Dollars (the latter doesn't exist yet but will be paid out starting July 4), not Steem Power. You could send it to your own wallet, an exchange, etc.

You can theoretically use use your password/private keys from the web site to do all this stuff via the CLI wallet to interact directly with the blockchain and bypass the web site (you can even make blog posts from the CLI wallet, though it is somewhat painful; voting isn't too bad). I guess at some point there may be a GUI wallet, other web wallets, etc. 

jeffthebaker
Legendary

View Profile
May 18, 2016, 01:23:09 AM

"Power down" converts your Steem Power to liquid Steem. It takes place over 104 weekly payments. However, if you got free Steem Power, you can't withdraw that until you reach 10x.

Withdraws work like any other web wallet, but you can only withdraw liquid Steam or Steem Sollars (the latter doesn't exist yet but will  be paid out starting July 4), not Steem Power. You could send it to your own wallet, an exchange, etc.

You can theoretically use use your password/private keys from the web site to do all this stuff via the CLI wallet and bypass the web site (you can even make blog posts from the CLI wallet, though it is somewhat painful; voting isn't too bad). I guess at some point there may be a GUI wallet, other web wallets, etc. 

When you say '104 weekly payments' does that mean your Steem Power will take two years to fully withdraw? I have a hard time believing there is any practical reason to lock up earnings for such an insane amount of time...
pharesim

View Profile
May 18, 2016, 01:25:16 AM

Sure there is. The target is to get users attached to the platform, not give them free money to grab and walk on.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
May 18, 2016, 01:42:39 AM

"Power down" converts your Steem Power to liquid Steem. It takes place over 104 weekly payments. However, if you got free Steem Power, you can't withdraw that until you reach 10x.

Withdraws work like any other web wallet, but you can only withdraw liquid Steam or Steem Sollars (the latter doesn't exist yet but will  be paid out starting July 4), not Steem Power. You could send it to your own wallet, an exchange, etc.

You can theoretically use use your password/private keys from the web site to do all this stuff via the CLI wallet and bypass the web site (you can even make blog posts from the CLI wallet, though it is somewhat painful; voting isn't too bad). I guess at some point there may be a GUI wallet, other web wallets, etc. 

When you say '104 weekly payments' does that mean your Steem Power will take two years to fully withdraw? I have a hard time believing there is any practical reason to lock up earnings for such an insane amount of time...

There are actually many reasons for it, which you can read in the white paper. The system has a lot of complex interlocking pieces.

But in reality earnings will not be locked up, because Steem Dollars are fully liquid, so that is the immediate earnings. The portion of rewards that goes toward increasing your Steem Power could also be viewed as karma or activity points or premium account status or whatever you want to call it, with the added option to liquidate that slowly if you plan to exit the system or just don't value your status that much.
jeffthebaker
Legendary

View Profile
May 18, 2016, 01:53:34 AM

There are actually many reasons for it, which you can read in the white paper. The system has a lot of complex interlocking pieces.

But in reality earnings will not be locked up, because Steem Dollars are fully liquid, so that is the immediate earnings. The portion of rewards that goes toward increasing your Steem Power could also be viewed as karma or activity points or premium account status or whatever you want to call it, with the added option to liquidate that slowly if you plan to exit the system or just don't value your status that much.

Okay, that makes more sense.

Will Steem Dollar earnings be withdrawn as Steem? And if so, does that mean there is no difference between Steem Power and Steem Dollars once they are liquidated and removed from the site?
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
May 18, 2016, 02:10:18 AM

Will Steem Dollar earnings be withdrawn as Steem? And if so, does that mean there is no difference between Steem Power and Steem Dollars once they are liquidated and removed from the site?

Steem Dollars will be able to be converted to Steem (there is a built in market on the blockchain, there are plans for the web site to support that as well), but they will also be able to be withdrawn directly as Steem Dollars, sending them to another crypto exchange, a merchant to pay for goods/services, to your own wallet, etc.

If you are familiar with BitUSD, Nubits, Tether, etc. then you can consider Steem Dollars to be in the same family (though each has somewhat different underlying properties). That is, a cryptocurrency that is designed to maintain a value close to $1 per token.

I'm not sure I understood your last question, but I think the answer is there is no difference.
jeffthebaker
Legendary

View Profile
May 18, 2016, 02:13:50 AM

Steem Dollars will be able to be converted to Steem (there is a built in market on the blockchain, there are plans for the web site to support that as well), but they will also be able to be withdrawn directly as Steem Dollars, sending them to another crypto exchange, a merchant to pay for goods/services, to your own wallet, etc.

I'm not sure I understood your last question, but I think the answer is there is no difference.

Thanks for the speedy customer support! I think it's understandable why I am wary about legitimacy, but overall I love the concept behind Steemit and regardless of profits I think this is a good idea for a social media site in general. I've written up a couple of posts on the site and plan to continue on in the future. A blogging alternative to Tumblr is badly needed, and one in the crypto niche is a huge + in my book.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ... 156 »
  Print  

Jump to: