Bitcoin Forum
December 16, 2017, 07:35:05 PM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.15.1  [Torrent].

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin and me (Hal Finney)  (Read 246273 times)
TippingPoint
Legendary

Activity: 905

View Profile
July 13, 2016, 03:12:44 AM

Sam Harris describing consciousness:

If it’s true that consciousness is being run like software on the brain and can – by virtue of ectoplasm or something else we don’t understand – be dissociated from the brain at death, that would be part of our growing scientific understanding of the world if we discover it…

But there are very good reasons to think it’s not true. We know this from 150 years of neurology where you damage areas of the brain, and faculties are lost… You can cease to recognize faces, you can cease to know the names of animals but you still know the names of tools…

What we’re being asked to consider is that you damage one part of the brain, and something about the mind and subjectivity is lost, you damage another and yet more is lost, [but] you damage the whole thing at death, we can rise off the brain with all our faculties intact, recognizing grandma and speaking English!

The 2 minute video clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Juriylw7B0g

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DumbFruit

Activity: 428

View Profile
July 13, 2016, 03:06:09 PM

That does absolutely nothing to address the Hard Problem of consciousness, which since it lacks any logical definition, is free of any falsification. So of course consciousness is immortal before it kinda dies and wasn't created just in time to live, whatever that means, on a gigantic little speck hanging on nothing out in the middle of nowhere, stupendously.
Something about the infinitesimal unlikeliness, so priceless, blah blah blah. Death.
Anyway what's the point of preserving peaches in a jar before throwing the whole jar into a fire? After all, the universe is going to die even more impressively than we will. Maybe I'm jealous.

Here's something; Maybe we're all the same person. Maybe I'm actually a hyperdimensional creature that gets caught up in nets of neurons and I experience each life one at a time, maybe in no particular order in time. Maybe when I die, that consciousness will slip out and cling to a kid from K-Pax that dies from hemorrhaging in his blugerplex* (Bummer.). You're actually me when I'm experiencing you. So maybe saving life is even more doubly pointless, and the important thing is just to be goodly to one another so when I will have had been you my life won't be so bad.

Who the hell knows? I'd have done this whole universe differently given the chance, so I guess that just proves I'm not God, at least in this meat-sack, whatever I/we/He/They are.

Greg Maxwell talks about creativity, but come on. We cure diseases all the time, because diseases feel bad. Aging is no different. Maybe instead of saving lives and reducing pain, we should all just liquidate the planet in radioactive hellfire as a kind of vote of no confidence since human life sucks ass through a straw 9 times out of 10, throughout human history so far, and force whatever created the universe to start over with something hopefully less sadistic. Maybe we should stop beating around the bush and get this whole "dying" thing over with.

The cool thing is we have the technology today to wipe out all life on this planet. We'll probably never have the technology to live forever (You know, since the universe appears to be dying and all.).

*I know, shut up.

By their (dumb) fruits shall ye know them indeed...
Dudeperfect

Activity: 700

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2016, 05:36:47 PM

Hal Your story is really inspiring, It suddenly made me think of Steve Jobs and Stephen Halkings. Whenever there will be discussions of evolution of bitcoin in the future then no doubt that your name will be taken among them who shaped this currency. That's what the spirit of bitcoin is, it's standing on the strong pillars like you. Thanks for sharing your story, #Salute from me.

timk225

Activity: 997

View Profile
July 13, 2016, 11:08:27 PM

If what some people on this page of the topic have written is true, and the mind / soul does not disassociate from the body at death, then it could be that Hal's soul is currently locked up in his frozen brain and body, saying "FORGET IT!!!  THIS WAS A BAD IDEA!!! THIS WASN'T SUPPOSED TO WORK LIKE THIS!!! LET ME OUT!!! KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME..........."

I don't think anyone here wants to do him like that, do we?
gmaxwell
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 2366

View Profile
July 14, 2016, 12:14:45 AM

If what some people on this page of the topic have written is true, and the mind / soul does not disassociate from the body at death, then it could be that Hal's soul is currently locked up in his frozen brain and body, saying "FORGET IT!!!  THIS WAS A BAD IDEA!!! THIS WASN'T SUPPOSED TO WORK LIKE THIS!!! LET ME OUT!!! KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME KILL ME..........."

You can imagine things like that but it's oddly specific. Why that yet not have that be the problem when people are burried rather than cremated (or vice versa).

Bitcoin will not be compromised
MeteoImpact

Activity: 97

View Profile
July 14, 2016, 03:10:17 AM

In that case, let's just ask Hal's soul how it feels the next time we see it.
pandalion98

Activity: 476

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2016, 05:38:45 AM

I guess that would be... cool.

ObscureBean
Legendary

Activity: 1064

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2016, 06:34:18 AM

Wow.. what an amazing post from Hal Finney!! It's unlikely that I would've come across this old thread by myself so thank you to the posters who helped bump it to the top. I'd heard about Finney a few times from news articles but had never researched him and I never knew he had ALS. Must have took him a while to write this opening post using only his eyes.
R.I.P Hal.
TippingPoint
Legendary

Activity: 905

View Profile
July 14, 2016, 06:42:57 AM

I guess that would be... cool.

That was not wasted.  I got it.
joe white

Activity: 10

View Profile
July 14, 2016, 09:30:54 AM

Fantastic original post from a brave man.
I don't do metaphysics very much, but have a grandma who is suffering from Dementia.
We watched her lose her memory, slowly at first, then become unable to do the simplest things. She was very frightened and upset for a period while she was still aware of the outside world, but now she has completely withdrawn into an interior reality, around about 1941 we think, she lies in bed working an imaginary sewing machine like she did then, making parachutes during the war effort.
What "value" does her life have? None from the point of view of the outside world. She recognizes none of her children or grandchildren and is unable to feed or clean herself.
But she seems content and in no distress, so we kiss her, talk to her (but she doesn't respond) and leave her to live the rest of her days (she's 95) inside her head.
An incredible thing, human existence, we will know the answers when we have breathed our last. Maybe.
yelllowsin

Activity: 235

View Profile
February 28, 2017, 11:33:07 PM

Fantastic story, thanks for sharing your perspective. It was a pleasure to read directly from the man who worked so closely to Satoshi in the early days of Bitcoin. Rest in peace, that love be within all of us always.

otto_diesel

Activity: 322

View Profile
March 01, 2017, 01:05:34 AM

rest in peace hal finney..

███ █ █
███ █ █
███ █ █
███ █ █
███ █ █
███ █ █
███ █ █
███ █ █
███ █ █
███ █ █
███ █ █
███ █ █
███ █ █

█ █ ███
█ █ ███
█ █ ███
█ █ ███
█ █ ███
█ █ ███
█ █ ███
█ █ ███
█ █ ███
█ █ ███
█ █ ███
█ █ ███
█ █ ███
●  Whitepaper
●  ANN Thread
●  Reddit
●  Telegram
●  Twitter
●  Facebook

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
jayohby

Activity: 192

View Profile
May 24, 2017, 08:05:07 PM

Rest in peace , Hal.

I just read this thread after going through the history of bitcoin.

I wish I had the opportunity to interact with satoshi and you on this forum, but that day will never come now.

Thanks for all your work.
btctalk

Activity: 135

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2017, 08:22:27 PM

Rest in Peace Hal.
You were a crypto hero, too bad people don't know more about you.

Persian Blockchain Consultation Group: http://shiryakhat.net
Super Bitcoiner Club http://superbitcoiner.com
Persian Bitcoin Community - http://btctalk.com - http://fb.com/IranBitcoin
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1722

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 08:26:08 PM

Rest in peace , Hal.

I wish I had the opportunity to interact with satoshi and you on this forum, but that day will never come now.

Don't be so sure, Satoshi is probably still alive and can come back at anytime, and there's an extremely tiny possibility that Hal Finney might be revived in the distant future.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 1372

Put BTC here: 1GSwznUNG4co5rS3ctmRgtYGcWiHAnwAyj

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 09:32:03 PM

Rest in peace , Hal.

Don't be so sure, Satoshi is probably still alive and can come back at anytime, and there's an extremely tiny possibility that Hal Finney might be revived in the distant future.

Oh my!!!!!

I know that nothing is 100%, but what are the odds of both of those things happening? 

Being able to interact in the future (let's say within 10 years) with both Satoshi and Hal Finney at the same time... first of all they would have to NOT be the same person, and both be capable of interacting in some kind of meaningful way.  Therefore, I would place such odds at less than .0001%.

But definitely respects to the life changing and innovative contributions of both to this crypto-space - whether had been the same physical person or not.

AzamiFayda

Activity: 23

View Profile
September 10, 2017, 09:12:33 AM

Rest in Peace Hal.
That was a really touching story...
kodiak1120

Activity: 209

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 03:26:47 PM

Came across this thread after spending the morning reading about the link between Hal Finney and Dorian Nakamoto.  Never knew that the two lived within two miles of each other in California.  Makes you wonder if Newsweek was on to something when they posted their story a few years back.  Anyway, RIP Hal Finney. 
Dhaaaw

Activity: 112

★Jetwin.com★

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 05:46:47 AM

If you're watching us from somewhere, i hope you know that your blind trust in bitcoin was probably the cause of it being stable during the first weeks/months and your combat against ALS is really inspiring.
Rest in peace Hal.

JanpriX

Activity: 672

Buy The Fucking Dip

View Profile
September 26, 2017, 03:53:19 PM

I know that this has been said in many posts before mine but I just wanted to say it in my own post: thank you very much Hal Finney. I just stumbled to this thread and got intrigued by the title of it. Didn't know that this will be the most inspirational post that I have ever read here in Bitcointalk. Honestly, I didn't know the whole history of BTC other than Satoshi Nakamoto started it (yeah, I need to do my homework to study the history of it). This type of humble beginnings always leave an etch in my heart that I will always bear for the rest of my life (I think).  Roll Eyes

███████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
██████████████
███████████████
██████████████
███████████████
██████████████
███████████████
██████████████
███████████████
██████████████
███████████████
██████████████
███████████████
██████████████
███████████████
██████████████
███████████████
██████████████
███████████████
██████████████
███████████████
██████████████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████
██████████████
██████████████
██████████████
███████████████
██████████████
███████████████
██████████████
███████████████
█████████
███████████████
████████
████████████████████
█████████
██████████████████
█████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
███████████████████████

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 »
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.