Bitcoin Forum
August 14, 2018, 08:22:00 PM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.16.2  [Torrent].

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin and me (Hal Finney)  (Read 250160 times)
cryptojac17

Activity: 350
Merit: 107

View Profile
November 11, 2017, 01:51:10 PM

His son and daughter are millionaires if not billionaires, if they have kept their thousands of Bitcoins, I couldn't follow up on the few months ago and events related to Hal's account coming back to life, I don't know if it was one of his family members or some body hacked his account.

People like him are very rare, true and honest. I am really sorry for this community to lose such a brilliant asset. I have a feeling that Satoshi is also dead for real, he has never spent even one BTC. if he was alive he could have at least send a transaction from earliest blocks anonymously.

Steve Jobs, Hal Finney, Satoshi Nakamoto, Adolf Hitler rest in peace except the last one.
Hal Finney reveal him self fhis person is  the first worker of satoshi Nakamoto who developed block chain technology which  very impresive that changes curency works and soon it will changes every ones life .kudos to yo sir and God  bopefully  you will get you cure  sooner. God speed.

Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Ucy

Activity: 574
Merit: 265

View Profile
November 11, 2017, 04:16:03 PM

Nice reading this on this great "time machine."

It's strange his account became active March this year (2017) whereas he passed away 2014.. Probably accessed by his family?
All the early developers of Bitcoin are great people. You gave humanity the best gift ever.

█
      ██
     ██
   ██ ██
 █ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██

█
      ██
     ██
   ██ ██
 █ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
  B

▄▄▄▄▄▄
     ▄▄████████████▄▄
   ▄█████▀▀    ▀▀█████▄
  ████▀            ▀████
 ████                ████
▐███                  ███▌
███▌                  ▐███
▐███           ▄▄     ███▌
 ████         ▀███▄  ▐███
  ████▄         ▀███▄███
   ▀█████▄▄     ▄█████▀
     ▀▀████████████▀▀
          ▀▀▀▀▀▀
T 
Better. Quick.

Transparent.

▄████▄▄   ▄
█▄          ██████████▀▄
███        ███████████▀
▐████▄     ██████████▌
▄▄██████▄▄▄▄█████████▌
▀████████████████████
  ▀█████████████████
  ▄▄███████████████
   ▀█████████████▀
    ▄▄█████████▀
▀▀██████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████
███████████████▀       ████
██████████████      ▄▄▄████
██████████████    ▐████████
██████████            ▐████
██████████            █████
▀█████████████    ▐███████▀

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌
Canday

Activity: 59
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 09:52:47 AM

Relaxation In Peace Hal Finney. Thanks for every thing you've got completed. Bitcoin community will never ever neglect you.
Am0rPHiA

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 17, 2017, 10:16:56 PM

Rest in Peace Hal, you didn't know at that time but working with satoshi and developing bitcoin you helped to create a revolution to better mankind

We are all very thankful....
Andre_Goldman

Activity: 322
Merit: 251

Property1of1OU

View Profile
November 17, 2017, 11:25:30 PM

Thank you Hal for the Wonderful work    .  Relaxation in serenity.

His work on openPGP ( https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4880 ) was amazing ... but things
that still freak me out  ( in a good sense  Grin ) is something like ..

blood hell ... I was thinking about Intel's Minix power management stuff at the moment ...

Patent1number: ****-****
dawoodkhan97

Activity: 196

LibertyLance - Where Freelancing Meets Blockchain

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2017, 08:11:30 PM

Sad to see one of the early adopters and pioneers Hal Finney
could not see the massive growth of bitcoin today.

He was part of a revolution and beginning of a new era...

Rest in peace Hal

/ / _  LibertyLance  |  First Ever Decentralized Gig Based Marketplace
ANN  Whitepaper  One Pager   ▬▬▬  SUBSCRIBE NOW  ▬▬▬   Twitter  Facebook  Telegram
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   Private Sale Starts on May 29th   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
lovish27

Activity: 1

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 08:51:41 AM

Respect sir, Wish I had known a bit earlier about Bitcoin would reach such levels.
I used to play WoW where I had got 1000 bitcoin wallet credentials in exchange for an account, I had no idea what this is so I saved the details on my yahoo account. fast forward to 2016 and bitcoin is everywhere in news, suddenly I realize I had it too. I log in to my yahoo mail account and boom.... it has no data, as It was inactive for years, so yahoo guys deleted all the data to save their server costs. I just wish. Cant buy bitcoins now Sad Its out of reach
monika27

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 02, 2017, 12:13:13 PM

ope to see some good news about you in the future, for the moment RIP.
denzkilim

Activity: 336
Merit: 102

smiling mashed potato

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2017, 03:27:26 AM

You guys really changed the world and now a lot of people gain benefits from your hard work.
Today many people are using bitcoin and can support their daily living with the innovations that you made guys.
"Hats off" "Respect"  Smiley

Mymikagab

Activity: 294

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2017, 04:22:54 AM

Your probably so much good  halyou change our lives.hal is astonishing the size of my admiration for him because the bitcoin is very much the help of salute you

Respect and so much thankfull

DCC│Distributed Credit Chain
    Empower Credit, Enable Finance   
GithubFacebookMedium ‹‹‹dcc.finance››› RedditTwitterTelegram
nathanbryce

Activity: 21

View Profile
December 25, 2017, 06:04:44 AM

He was an early Bitcoin user and received the first bitcoin transaction from Bitcoin's creator Satoshi Nakamoto. Finney lived in the same town for 10 years that Dorian Satoshi Nakamoto lived, adding to speculation that he may have been Bitcoin's creator. Finney denied that he was Satoshi Nakamoto.

In March 2013, Finney posted on a Bitcoin forum BitcoinTalk that he was essentially paralyzed, but continued to program. He continued to program until his death; he was working on experimental software called bcflick, which uses Trusted Computing to strengthen Bitcoin wallets.

During the last year of his life, the Finneys received anonymous calls demanding an extortion fee of 1,000 bitcoin. They became victims of swatting — a hoax "where the perpetrator calls up emergency dispatch using a spoofed telephone number and pretends to have committed a heinous crime in the hopes of provoking an armed police response to the victim’s home"
Testing Crypto

Activity: 576
Merit: 506

Applications

View Profile
December 25, 2017, 04:08:01 PM

He was an early Bitcoin user and received the first bitcoin transaction from Bitcoin's creator Satoshi Nakamoto. Finney lived in the same town for 10 years that Dorian Satoshi Nakamoto lived, adding to speculation that he may have been Bitcoin's creator. Finney denied that he was Satoshi Nakamoto.

In March 2013, Finney posted on a Bitcoin forum BitcoinTalk that he was essentially paralyzed, but continued to program. He continued to program until his death; he was working on experimental software called bcflick, which uses Trusted Computing to strengthen Bitcoin wallets.

During the last year of his life, the Finneys received anonymous calls demanding an extortion fee of 1,000 bitcoin. They became victims of swatting — a hoax "where the perpetrator calls up emergency dispatch using a spoofed telephone number and pretends to have committed a heinous crime in the hopes of provoking an armed police response to the victim’s home"

IT is a cruel world out there, money has to much controls over EVERYTHING && many unbelievable things happen in the world of trade ;(

//RIP HAL7000 *cypher space has open 4 U in a way most could && would never understand

if [[ "Using a real world user name" ]]
then
    print "real" #hard mode
else
    print "anonymous" #easy mode
fi

# cryogenically frozen to visit the future of space && time.

Dream 2 Dream 4 p2p, think Big or Small 4 p2b && never Give up on a brighter future 4 our next Generations in a Digital Wolrd  Wink     Gift5YapqsZqSTW8T4S3sCU4sngCkvh4ba     1PAGEHrN62tgUHncGWbbhKe9jhZGXsxFC4     ((Unix Timestamp{if} DATA / TIME = nLOCK @ 1577836800 {then} POST = .dat * %)) ~ 03:14:07 UTC on 19 January 2038 "U have 18 years + 18 days, problem already solved && all U have to do it show proof of work"
by rallier
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1272

One Token to Move Anything Anywhere

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2018, 12:34:40 PM

Rest in Peace.
Great man who did so much allowing us to make it where we are today.

▄████▄ ██▀ ▀██ ██ ██████▄▄ ▀█▄ ▄█▀ ▀▀███▄ ▀██▄▄██▀ ▀██ ▀██▀ ██ ██ ███▄▄ ██ ██ ██████ ▀█▄ ▄████▄ ██ ███████ ██ ██▀ ▀██ ██ ███████ █████████ ██ ██ ███████ ██ ▀█▄ ▄█▀ ██ ██████ ▄█▀ ▀██▄▄██▀ ██ ███▀▀ ██ ▀▀▀▀ ▄██▄ ██ ▄██▀▀██▄ ▄██ ▄█▀ ▀█▄ ▄▄███▀ ██ ██████▀▀ ██▄ ▄██ ▀████▀ DEPO █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ The World’s First Decentralized Multi-Platform Collateral Infrastructure ████████████████████▄ ██ ████▄ ██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██ ▀██▄ ██ ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██ ██ ▀██▄ ██ ██ ██ ██████████ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██ ▄▄▄▄▄ ██ ██ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀ ██ ██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██ ██ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██ ██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██ ██ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██ ██ ██ ██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██ ██ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██ ██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██ ██ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██ ██ ██ ████████████████████████████
FACEBOOK | GITHUB ▀▀▀▀▀ TELEGRAM ▀▀▀▀▀ LINKEDIN | TWITTER
Kakmakr
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1112

★ ChipMixer | Bitcoin mixing service ★

View Profile
January 13, 2018, 08:41:09 AM

What a remarkable person! Most people would have given up with tubes stuck in most of their orifices, but he continued to the end. Hal Finney will leave a positive Legacy on this world, beyond that of many of his peers in this scene. <Some people just leave a bad taste in your mouth>

RIP <<Uncle of Bitcoin>>

poptok1

Activity: 924
Merit: 543

★ What is the matrix? ★

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2018, 09:04:41 AM

For those who haven't made the connection the "Finney Attack" commonly referenced on this forum is named after the OP who first theorized this double spend attack vector.
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Double-spending#Finney_attack

Thank you for sharing Hal.  I have sometimes wondered what would have happened if nobody had responded to Satoshi's idea.  Would it have simply died on the vine and vanished into the pages of history?
What a remarkable time machine. Existential thoughts provoking, and informative.
Kakmakr thanks for bumping this, I have never stumble across this thread before.
It has given me chills, at least three times. This Dude must have had strengths!
I hope that he was foreseeing enough, to secure passwords and keys to his dusty wallet, for the family.
Heritage is however much more than money and for us all to benefit from. Thanks for that Mr Hal, wherever you are.

PLAY
               ▄▄▄██████▄▄▄▄▄
          ▄▄███████████    █████▄
      ▄▄███████    ████▄▄▄▄███████
  ▄▄███    ████▄▄▄▄███████████████▌
▄██████▄▄▄▄███████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████▌
▐████████████████████▀█  ███████████
 ▐█████████████████▄  ▀     ▀██████▌
  ████████████████▀    ▄▄▄   ███████
  ▐███████████████▄ ▄  ▐███   ▀██████▌
   ▐████████████████   ▀▀      ██████
    ███  ▀███████████▌   ▄▄██   ▐█████▌
    ▐██▄  ███████████   ▐███   ███████
     ████████████████▌   ▀   ▄███████
     ▐██████████████▀    ▄ ▀██████▀
      ▀███████████████  ▄ ▀█▄████▀
        ▀████████████████▄███▀▀
          ▀███████████████▀▀
            ▀██████████▀▀
              ▀████▀▀
ITCOIN
G   A   M   E   S
       ▄██▄
      ▐████▄▄▄██
  ▄   █████████▀
   ▀▄ ▀█████▀▀
  ▄▄▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▀▀
 ▀ ▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄███▄
 ▄███████  ██████▄
▄█████▀      ▀█████
██████  ▀  █▄▄██████
███████▄▄    ▀██████
 █████  ▀  ▀  █████▀
  ▀████▄▄  ▄▄█████▀
    ▀▀███▄▄█████▀
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
▄▄█ ▄▀▄           █
▄▄▄▀▀▀  █ █▀█           █
█  ▄▄    █      ▄█▄      █
▀▄ █▄▀▄  █    ▄█████▄    █
█ ▀     █  ▄█████████▄  █
█      █  ███████████  █
▀▄     █   ▀▀▀ █ ▀▀▀   █
█     █      ▀▀▀      █
█    █               █
▀▄   ▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
█       ▄▄▄▀▀       
▀▄▄▄▀▀▀             
           ▄▄▄  
          █   ▀▀▀▄▄▄
         █  ▄▄▄     ▀▀▀▄▄▄
        █   ███    ▄▄▄   ▐▌
 ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   ███   █
█               █       █
█          ███  █ ▄    █
█          ▀▀▀  █ ██  █
█      ███      █ ▀  █
█      ▀▀▀      █   █
█  ███          █ ▀▀
█  ▀▀▀          █
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
.........FACEBOOK.........
.......ANN THREAD.......

.[/url]
   REFERRAL PROGRAM  
drunkenbitcoin

Drunk with bitcoin and alt coins

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2018, 05:11:33 PM

Just wanted to add my name to the long list to say, Thank You. Whether you were Satoshi, part of Team Satoshi, or not your involvement helped bitcoin which helped me discover bitcoin. It has changed my life for the better. You will forever be remembered.

Sincerely,
@rt395

Musings from the crypto world.
Toxic2040

Activity: 392
Merit: 410

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 12:47:47 AM

RIP Hal

insert sMerit here.

Page 1 https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=155054.0
armarsterling7

Activity: 126

The Future Of Work

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 01:25:11 AM

I thought I'd write about the last four years, an eventful time for Bitcoin and me.

For those who don't know me, I'm Hal Finney. I got my start in crypto working on an early version of PGP, working closely with Phil Zimmermann. When Phil decided to start PGP Corporation, I was one of the first hires. I would work on PGP until my retirement. At the same time, I got involved with the Cypherpunks. I ran the first cryptographically based anonymous remailer, among other activities.

Fast forward to late 2008 and the announcement of Bitcoin. I've noticed that cryptographic graybeards (I was in my mid 50's) tend to get cynical. I was more idealistic; I have always loved crypto, the mystery and the paradox of it.

When Satoshi announced Bitcoin on the cryptography mailing list, he got a skeptical reception at best. Cryptographers have seen too many grand schemes by clueless noobs. They tend to have a knee jerk reaction.

I was more positive. I had long been interested in cryptographic payment schemes. Plus I was lucky enough to meet and extensively correspond with both Wei Dai and Nick Szabo, generally acknowledged to have created ideas that would be realized with Bitcoin. I had made an attempt to create my own proof of work based currency, called RPOW. So I found Bitcoin facinating.

When Satoshi announced the first release of the software, I grabbed it right away. I think I was the first person besides Satoshi to run bitcoin. I mined block 70-something, and I was the recipient of the first bitcoin transaction, when Satoshi sent ten coins to me as a test. I carried on an email conversation with Satoshi over the next few days, mostly me reporting bugs and him fixing them.

Today, Satoshi's true identity has become a mystery. But at the time, I thought I was dealing with a young man of Japanese ancestry who was very smart and sincere. I've had the good fortune to know many brilliant people over the course of my life, so I recognize the signs.

After a few days, bitcoin was running pretty stably, so I left it running. Those were the days when difficulty was 1, and you could find blocks with a CPU, not even a GPU. I mined several blocks over the next days. But I turned it off because it made my computer run hot, and the fan noise bothered me. In retrospect, I wish I had kept it up longer, but on the other hand I was extraordinarily lucky to be there at the beginning. It's one of those glass half full half empty things.

The next I heard of Bitcoin was late 2010, when I was surprised to find that it was not only still going, bitcoins actually had monetary value. I dusted off my old wallet, and was relieved to discover that my bitcoins were still there. As the price climbed up to real money, I transferred the coins into an offline wallet, where hopefully they'll be worth something to my heirs.

Speaking of heirs, I got a surprise in 2009, when I was suddenly diagnosed with a fatal disease. I was in the best shape of my life at the start of that year, I'd lost a lot of weight and taken up distance running. I'd run several half marathons, and I was starting to train for a full marathon. I worked my way up to 20+ mile runs, and I thought I was all set. That's when everything went wrong.

My body began to fail. I slurred my speech, lost strength in my hands, and my legs were slow to recover. In August, 2009, I was given the diagnosis of ALS, also called Lou Gehrig's disease, after the famous baseball player who got it.

ALS is a disease that kills moter neurons, which carry signals from the brain to the muscles. It causes first weakness, then gradually increasing paralysis. It is usually fatal in 2 to 5 years. My symptoms were mild at first and I continued to work, but fatigue and voice problems forced me to retire in early 2011. Since then the disease has continued its inexorable progression.

Today, I am essentially paralyzed. I am fed through a tube, and my breathing is assisted through another tube. I operate the computer using a commercial eyetracker system. It also has a speech synthesizer, so this is my voice now. I spend all day in my power wheelchair. I worked up an interface using an arduino so that I can adjust my wheelchair's position using my eyes.

It has been an adjustment, but my life is not too bad. I can still read, listen to music, and watch TV and movies. I recently discovered that I can even write code. It's very slow, probably 50 times slower than I was before. But I still love programming and it gives me goals. Currently I'm working on something Mike Hearn suggested, using the security features of modern processors, designed to support "Trusted Computing", to harden Bitcoin wallets. It's almost ready to release. I just have to do the documentation.

And of course the price gyrations of bitcoins are entertaining to me. I have skin in the game. But I came by my bitcoins through luck, with little credit to me. I lived through the crash of 2011. So I've seen it before. Easy come, easy go.

That's my story. I'm pretty lucky overall. Even with the ALS, my life is very satisfying. But my life expectancy is limited. Those discussions about inheriting your bitcoins are of more than academic interest. My bitcoins are stored in our safe deposit box, and my son and daughter are tech savvy. I think they're safe enough. I'm comfortable with my legacy.
[edited slightly]
Yes it is a really great story. You are dedicated to your work. it has really made me very emotional. I really admire those who work hard for their work.
They have a lot of patience and passion for work as well as their life. I thank you for your contribution to Bitcoin. Without you and your colleagues, I did not know about Bitcoin. once again thank you very much.

▬▬■ ■ ■▬▬ The Future of Work. Decentralized. ▬▬■ ■ ■▬▬
Whitepaper﹞﹝ANN THREAD﹞﹝TELEGRAM﹞﹝FACEBOOK﹞﹝TWITTER﹞﹝YOUTUBE
JMi87

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 07:47:12 PM

(Sorry for my bad english)
Thanks for your work on bitcoin, I'm a big noob actually on it, I just discovered it and I'm trying to understand his background. Your story was very intersting, I would like to thank you again... Rest in peace. I hope you can see BTC's success today from where you are, and I hope it will last over time forever. Thank you.

Now i'm hoping Satoshi is still alive and will post something there one day... so we could say him big thanks also.
RedWARxX

Activity: 28

My wife still doesn't believe in me !

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2018, 01:20:46 AM

RIP Cry and thanks a lot for your work

I hope the family was able to handle those hoax.

Humanity...

BTCZ 4 LIFE !
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 »
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.