Bitcoin Forum
December 10, 2016, 12:53:26 PM *
News: To be able to use the next phase of the beta forum software, please ensure that your email address is correct/functional.

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How many newbies are mining?  (Read 22529 times)
prolom

Activity: 84

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 08:12:12 AM

I've also fired up cudaminer on my gtx780 in my regular comp and it pulls around 400-600khs oddly enough this is only when I have an online game patching screen opened in the back ground. If I don't have it up before I start it it only hashes at around 140.

Could you elaborate on that? I would love to speed up my cudaminer....  However it does sound very suspicious. Online game patching screen?

prolom.

Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.
prolom

Activity: 84

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 08:31:28 AM

Not sure which brand yet as there is still unbelievably little stock in the UK, so it will be whatever I can get. Just built an open frame 'carpenters PC'  Cheesy so will be filling that with 6 of these bad boys.

Not only in the US - worldwide. I bet AMD are scratching their heads, this might be the best thing that happened to them since who knows when, Thunderbird or something.

BTW, why most rigs are open frame? The conventional wisdom in my old PC building days was that the airflow inside an aluminum box reduces the heat considerably compared to components just sitting outside with their own fans.

prolom.
andycee

Activity: 191

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 08:41:46 AM

Not sure which brand yet as there is still unbelievably little stock in the UK, so it will be whatever I can get. Just built an open frame 'carpenters PC'  Cheesy so will be filling that with 6 of these bad boys.

Not only in the US - worldwide. I bet AMD are scratching their heads, this might be the best thing that happened to them since who knows when, Thunderbird or something.

BTW, why most rigs are open frame? The conventional wisdom in my old PC building days was that the airflow inside an aluminum box reduces the heat considerably compared to components just sitting outside with their own fans.

prolom.

I heard AMD sold off all their chip making facilities and outsourced it, which is causing the shortages.

And I know what you mean, I would much prefer a well designed case with proper airflow. Its mostly about card spacing and number of cards. My server has an expensive case (with 8 pci mounts rather than 7), an expensive Gigabyte UD7 m/b with 8 pci slots and can still only run 3 cards (to allow spacing of one PCI slot between them). It could run 4 but they just get too hot.

My open rig uses a cheap Gigabyte UD3 m/b and will support 6 cards on risers, all nicely spaced for cooling. Due to the noise though its going to have to go in my loft, which is freezing in winter and hot in the summer  Undecided Plus I can't use the argument of it heating my flat for free. Oh well !

foader

Activity: 12

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 08:57:03 AM

I've also fired up cudaminer on my gtx780 in my regular comp and it pulls around 400-600khs oddly enough this is only when I have an online game patching screen opened in the back ground. If I don't have it up before I start it it only hashes at around 140.

Could you elaborate on that? I would love to speed up my cudaminer....  However it does sound very suspicious. Online game patching screen?

prolom.

Yeah I thought so to but the pools I use register it at those rates as well with hardly any errors. For me all I'm doing is starting up the planetside 2 to the point where the patcher has the play button on it. I've read in a similar article that the same can be done withstar trek onlines patcher. It doesn't always seem to work sometimes I have to close cudaminer and restart it to get to the 400+ hash rate. But once it's there it seems pretty stable and i just leave the ps2 launchpad up in the back ground. When I get home I can take a screen shot and try and throw it on here.

Sharecoin: Sj9s6it1SNDFEHWaHfv8yzL9qM3F7T4hsq
foader

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 09:10:27 AM

Here's the link to the thread where they guy says the same thing happens with STO patcher. As I said I'm still new so for all I know there is a simple setting somewhere I can change to make the same thing happen without the patcher running.

http://forum.litebonk.com/index.php?topic=633.0

klabanus

Activity: 30

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 10:27:16 AM

I've been mining since 3 weeks now. Started with LTC, DOGE and nowTIPS. Got two R9 290's running hashrate (WU) of 1600k/hash. Consuming power: 700watts. Never tried undervolting or whatsoever, but since the winters are cold here I can use some electrical heating lol.
BigRidg7

Activity: 154

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 10:42:02 AM

I've been mining since 3 weeks now. Started with LTC, DOGE and nowTIPS. Got two R9 290's running hashrate (WU) of 1600k/hash. Consuming power: 700watts. Never tried undervolting or whatsoever, but since the winters are cold here I can use some electrical heating lol.

Ditto on the 2 R9 290's - I have 2 as well in my room of all places and boy do they get HOT! Lol, my vent has been closed all winter and it stays a "cozy" 80 degrees in there. I have them maxed at 85 degrees and 75% fan speed, also getting around 1575kh/s with the both of them.

Fast. Simple. Secure. Your currency under your control. www.geticoin.com
Fireminer

Activity: 32

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 10:52:29 AM

I am mining 2 weeks now, as a test. Using old Radeon card. For further tests making on the baisis of an old PC a 'holder' for a AMD R9 290. Needed a new PSU of 850 w (want to put two cards). Waiting for a extension (riser) cable for PCE-e... unforeseen problem - card does not fit an old PC!
Did not try undervolting or overclocking. An ASIC would be better. Who knows what ASIC to buy right now? - since calculators show that to start mining in a month is almost useless... even cannot break even.
Chrilleee

Activity: 24

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 10:56:50 AM

Running 2x280x in my regular computer since 3 weeks back. They run very hot, even with the loudly fans, so I'm thinking about building some dedicated rig for it with better cooling when I return home from vacation.

LEAF: fWvk6Srja8cWox2FQ3JBpyBtWj2CUcqWWh
versace

Activity: 42

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 11:00:15 AM

i wanted to try mining about 2 years ago after bitcoin was put out and so i joined a bunch of mining pools

i think i made like .004 BTC after like 2 months so i gave up. i can't imagine it's gotten any easier to mine considering the way bitcoin is designed.
foader

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 03:55:26 PM

Sorry took my screen shots but can't figure out how to upload them to the site the image button only does this. http://

groggin
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 04:24:14 PM

Sorry took my screen shots but can't figure out how to upload them to the site the image button only does this.

i havn't tried it here but usually it's bb code + hosted pic:

Code:
[img]url_of_your_pic[/img]
  Wink

loose the sword that is your pen or tongue [or bittorrent enabled computer] and help fight the so-called new world order   it is the enemy of humanity  |  Sign-up @ Aurovine to get FREE HD music ... and coins!
 Get FREE:    |FUNK|  |SPN|  *TIPs*  | VNL  Vkpn45TSLR1jBa34pyrTwWDzADTEyviz4E   | BCC   CXvZkT13CNjn3ScizW1oEHWNVEAduJuKCJ   |   BTC   18wWrEfcA62D5Xmza1rRAw5cgcqwCa2YFH   
            Buy - Sell on          Cryptopia  |  Cryptsy  |  Bleutrade  |  an experiment in trust and control - FLYcoin   |   FATiB27UfQyySJCyM1dEQTaxMdZgqxHZ4y
foader

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 04:56:36 PM

yeah that's more then likely it but unfortunately I don't subscribe to any picture hosting websites

groggin
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 05:12:18 PM

yeah that's more then likely it but unfortunately I don't subscribe to any picture hosting websites

http://imgur.com/     is easy

loose the sword that is your pen or tongue [or bittorrent enabled computer] and help fight the so-called new world order   it is the enemy of humanity  |  Sign-up @ Aurovine to get FREE HD music ... and coins!
 Get FREE:    |FUNK|  |SPN|  *TIPs*  | VNL  Vkpn45TSLR1jBa34pyrTwWDzADTEyviz4E   | BCC   CXvZkT13CNjn3ScizW1oEHWNVEAduJuKCJ   |   BTC   18wWrEfcA62D5Xmza1rRAw5cgcqwCa2YFH   
            Buy - Sell on          Cryptopia  |  Cryptsy  |  Bleutrade  |  an experiment in trust and control - FLYcoin   |   FATiB27UfQyySJCyM1dEQTaxMdZgqxHZ4y
Coinonaer

Activity: 168

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 05:13:49 PM

I was doing CPU mining with dogecoins . but was not worth the electriticty costs
Limones

Activity: 14

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 06:36:13 PM

I just ordered my first 290X to augment the 2x7970s and one 6950. AMD prices are only going up and nVidia is only going down. Scrypt based currencies are single-handedly making AMD love the market right now.

What rates are you guys getting with your cards, and on which coins?
tarmYg

Activity: 16

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 06:42:26 PM

Been mining for about a month now, just about to finish my first dedicated openair-rig with three 280x and my old 6870, handbuilt.
Keeping two 280x's busy with Worldcoins atm and playing around/learning with the rest. Gonna try solo mining for the first time tonight with Giftcoin.
Will probably expand the rig with another 280x within a week or two.
Limones

Activity: 14

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 06:48:20 PM

Been mining for about a month now, just about to finish my first dedicated openair-rig with three 280x and my old 6870, handbuilt.
Keeping two 280x's busy with Worldcoins atm and playing around/learning with the rest. Gonna try solo mining for the first time tonight with Giftcoin.
Will probably expand the rig with another 280x within a week or two.

What power supply are you using? I have a 1300W EVGA that I ended up picking for the 10 year warranty, and it seems like it could handle 3 290X cards right now.
ariolis30

Activity: 35

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 07:04:44 PM

anyone here mine efficiently from a mac?  i would like to have more advice about this because there is no other option for me on this. 
scarymonkey

Activity: 4

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 07:08:53 PM

I've been mining for about a month - as a hobby and learning experience rather than to make any actual money from it.

I've used Block Erupters and today got a couple of Antminer U1's. These have left me taking all day working out how to get the Antminers and BE's to mine on the same Ubuntu 13.10 32bit machine but I have finally managed it. Hopefully they will continue to work when the system is rebooted too!

As I said I am using it as a learning curve and don't really expect to make anything using them. I am learning loads about linux along the way - compiling builds etc.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 »  All
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.