Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 11:43:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 ... 72 »
  Print  
Author Topic: My bank account's got robbed by European Commission. Over 700k is lost.  (Read 408449 times)
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 05:41:31 PM

-not reading the 14 pages of discussion-

Its your own fault. It was forseeable (here in europe) that this would come some day. Adolf Merkel was ensuring this way too often.
So instead of hoarding your money in that forsaken place, which was known to be bankrupt for how long? 3mo+? I think some cypriot friends of mine were mentioning this already like half a year ago, you could have moved your money to any other bank in the whole world.

Also you wont loose all the blocked money, you will loose some percentage of that.. thinking about it - how much did you gain from interest in the past years?

Also, dont blame all the European idea.. you might have only lost 6.6% a few weeks ago, but whose government did vote against that solution? It was not the european parliament..

Read the thread. It was a current account for a business (so the money was needed in liquid form) and he received no interest but paid for the account.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
zeroday (OP)
Donator

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 05:48:39 PM

The business was running, the bank account number appeared in many contracts. Payments were scheduled for several months in advance. It was impossible to move to another bank or country without stopping the business.
Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 06:34:40 PM

Come on guys, nothing new under the sun

Now it's Europe getting assraped by IMF & friends, as they assraped Latin America not so long ago.

And they will keep going until a few big time bankers + a few of their politician sockpuppets are hanged to a tree in front of their burning houses.

Lethos

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

Keep it Simple. Every Bit Matters.

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2013, 06:46:33 PM

One of my clients who is a financial expert (Stockbroker, Analyst, Blogger/Reporter), is currently writing a very lengthy article, a few snippets which add to this situation that I found useful.

Let's look first at what actually transpired. Cypriot banks held deposits of roughly €68 billion, four times the size of the total national GDP, while the total size of the banks was roughly eight times GDP. The "Troika" seemed to feel that Cyprus needed €17 billion in bailout money to be able to handle the crisis.

There are (were) 370,000 bank accounts, with 360,000 of those containing fewer than 100,000 euros (per Dennis Gartman)... "only" €5.8 billion is needed for the bailout, so the 10,000 or so accounts holding more than €100,000 will be docked an average of €580,000. 

Basel III standards require European banks to increase their deposit ratios. This European response to Cyprus is going to make that harder for banks in smaller European countries to accomplish. Very tiny Luxembourg has banking assets 13 times the country's GDP. Yes, I know that Luxembourg's banks are the very epitome of solid banking and that the majority of those assets are loans to central banks and other credit institutions, but there is no way on God's green earth that Luxembourg as a country could even begin to think about backing its banks.

Looked at another way, the three big French banks have combined footings of about $6 trillion compared to France's GDP of $2.2 trillion. So the Big Three French banks are 3X their dirigisme-ridden GDP... By contrast, the top three U.S. banks which are no paragon of financial virtue - JPM, BAC, and C - have combined footings of $6 trillion or 40% of GDP.  The French equivalent of that number would be $45 trillion for the U.S. banks.  Can you say train wreck!

It is only a matter of time before these French and other European banks, which are stuffed with sovereign debt backed by no capital due to the zero risk weighting of the Basel lunacy, topple into the abyss of the shadow banking system where they have funded their elephantine balance sheets. And that includes Germany, too. The German banks are as bad or worse than the French. Did you know that Deutsche Bank is levered 60:1 on a TCE/assets basis, and that its Basel "risk-weighted" assets are only $450 billion, but actual balance sheet assets are $3 trillion? In other words, due to the Basel standards, which count sovereign and other AAA assets as risk free, DB has $2.5 trillion of assets with zero capital backing!

...the law of unintended consequences is at work: the eurocrats will end up with exactly the opposite of the financial system they wanted. Either that, or the European banks will end up having to be nationalized in great numbers. These two possible outcomes seem to be the logical consequence of the EU's very unfriendly financial sector policies.

No one knows exactly how much money has left Cyprus' banks, or where it has gone. The two banks at the centre of the crisis - Cyprus Popular Bank, also known as Laiki, and Bank of Cyprus - have units in London which remained open throughout the week and placed no limits on withdrawals. Bank of Cyprus also owns 80 percent of Russia's Uniastrum Bank, which put no restrictions on withdrawals in Russia. Russians were among Cypriot banks' largest depositors.

There is loopholes to get money out. Wither it works for you now, or at all, I don't know.
But there is evidence it is occurring simply because the blockade was not done in full, get it out indirectly it appears and you can get to it.

So about 10,000 very successful people are about to get screwed if they can't get their money out.
Trust me, they intend to get what they need, so if you can find a way, take it out, or you risk losing more than expected, as this becomes more known.

zeroday (OP)
Donator

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 06:55:52 PM
Last edit: April 01, 2013, 07:08:23 PM by zeroday

This populist take on punishing only large depositors for a bank’s reckless behavior doesn’t change its larger implications. The next time global investors lose confidence in the bonds of, say, Italy or Spain, those countries’ banks will quickly face waves of withdrawals  by their large depositors. That would almost certainly sink those banks and quite possibly trigger broader bank runs. So, ironically, the new policy could help bring on the kind of far-reaching financial crisis which the bailouts were designed to head off.
SOURCE
Third Way

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 08:09:10 PM

Small Caribbean country?

Puerto Rico?!?!?! Cheesy

Puerto Rico is the United States.

We're in the Caribbean too you know.

blease resbond -> 1BYJKxpntNn6TZbM5M5CWkEb8vr8vDcBrr
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2013, 08:25:47 PM

Small Caribbean country?

Puerto Rico?!?!?! Cheesy

Puerto Rico is the United States.

We're in the Caribbean too you know.
But not a country.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
zeroday (OP)
Donator

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 11:18:25 PM

Deposits under €100,000 in Laiki will be transferred to the BoC. All deposits belonging to credit institutions, insurance companies, the government and other public bodies such as local authorities and municipal councils will also be carried over to the BoC. The same applies for charity foundations, schools and educational bodies and deposits belonging to the country’s main bank card transaction agency, JCC Payment Systems Ltd. Depositors who move from Laiki to the BoC are not part of the haircut.
The deposits that will not be transferred to the BoC will be part of a bad bank that will undergo resolution, i.e. an orderly wind down. Although the money will be there nominally, depositors will not have access to their money for an indefinite amount of time. As the bad bank slowly starts tidying up its account books cash would start going into the accounts, but the depositors could lose a substantial part of their savings if the bad bank fails to fully recoup all of its bad assets, as expected by analysts.
Source: cyprus-mail.com

Now we have untouchables whose accounts in Laiki Bank are not affected. This means that money expropriated from regular business, current and savings accounts will sponsor all other "tax exempt" accounts.
myrkul

Activity: 532

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2013, 11:22:19 PM

Deposits under €100,000 in Laiki will be transferred to the BoC. All deposits belonging to credit institutions, insurance companies, the government and other public bodies such as local authorities and municipal councils will also be carried over to the BoC. The same applies for charity foundations, schools and educational bodies and deposits belonging to the country’s main bank card transaction agency, JCC Payment Systems Ltd. Depositors who move from Laiki to the BoC are not part of the haircut.
The deposits that will not be transferred to the BoC will be part of a bad bank that will undergo resolution, i.e. an orderly wind down. Although the money will be there nominally, depositors will not have access to their money for an indefinite amount of time. As the bad bank slowly starts tidying up its account books cash would start going into the accounts, but the depositors could lose a substantial part of their savings if the bad bank fails to fully recoup all of its bad assets, as expected by analysts.

Now we have untouchables whose accounts in Laiki Bank are not affected. This means that money expropriated from regular business, current and savings accounts will sponsor all other "tax exempt" accounts.
Oh, now they're just rubbing salt in the wound.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
cho

Activity: 155

Boar with me

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 11:29:55 PM

Nice, just the information I was looking for. I've been wondering what would have been the outcome for schools and hospitals for an example. Ok. All hell has been broken loose on lawfulness and justice anyways.

1KEWxTkXPgfB9MdHJcfyoVnfHRnYEHQJPw
BitcoinTate

Activity: 224

DigiByte Founder

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 11:53:06 PM

Has there been any violent out breaks? Shootings? Car bombs etc?

- aka The "DigiMan"
zeroday (OP)
Donator

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 11:59:16 PM

Has there been any violent out breaks? Shootings? Car bombs etc?
Cyprus Bank Bombed – Anger Brewing
Inedible

Activity: 700

What doesn't kill you only makes you sicker!

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 12:08:07 AM

I don't get it.

Why are people blaming the victim?

If he'd been punched in the face walking down a street after he'd asked the police and residents of said street if it were safe to do so, is that his fault? Victim blaming is a bit bizarre.

No doubt if he'd been raped it would have been his fault for wearing sexy jeans and jumper.

Personally, I think it's the bankers fault.

Also, Cyprus didn't have to accept the deal so secondary blame lies with the politicians (especially the ones who coincidentally expatriated their own money before this policy came into effect).

If I offer you help and it comes with conditions you don't like, you shouldn't take the deal.

Someone somewhere assessed that the deal was better than the alternative.

If you've got beef, you should take it up with them as they're you're representatives and they made the deal on your behalf.

If this post was useful, interesting or entertaining, then you've misunderstood.
vqp

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 12:14:05 AM

Deja Vu (I'm from Argentina)
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 01:34:45 AM

It is kind of amazing with today's technology someone can just twiddle a few flags on a database and suddenly tens of thousands of people are much, much poorer. This is essentialy the only difference between the situation now and before the crisis blew up, that and few guys in suits going into a courthouse to "make it officially legal".

Wonder who the IT sys admin guys for these banks are? How does they feel about plundering a vast portion of their countrymen by changing a few settings in a database?

Wonder if they have bitcoins?  Wink

zeroday (OP)
Donator

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 01:56:20 AM

For those who were shrieking that Cyprus has been properly punished by for "tax avoidance" and "money laundering", just read this:

Germany, a safe haven for money laundering

Looks like they have just disposed of the competitor.
How ironic...
securityguy

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 01:37:11 PM

Wonder who the IT sys admin guys for these banks are? How does they feel about plundering a vast portion of their countrymen by changing a few settings in a database?

An IT sys admin or programmer does not make the change, it is performed at the executive level via a GUI interface.    Banks are instructed by the central bank that their systems must be able to support "xyz" feature, meaning that the functionality needed to freeze customers funds has long been programmed in to the banks systems.
zeroday (OP)
Donator

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 05:30:00 PM

I have news from a law company who are now working on class action lawsuit filed by the depositors of Laiki Popular Bank and The Bank of Cyprus.
At this moment they are gathering information from affected account holders with over 100k EUR amounts and looking for legal grounds to appeal the seizure of funds.

Our attorney assumes that, with the current situation, it is most likely that the depositors of Laiki Bank will eventually lose 100% of any amount over 100K EUR.
Although legal research is not yet finished, lawyers suspect that the whole situation with bailout is contrary to the constitution of Cyprus and the European Declaration of Human Rights.
We have already had precedents where local Cypriot lawyers backed by influential business figures have already won some small victories.

I'm asking everyone, who has affected account in Laiki Bank or The Bank Of Cyprus, to contact me regarding participation in the class action by sending me private message.

cho

Activity: 155

Boar with me

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 06:07:33 PM

Good thing class actions exist in cypriot law.
What kind of law does cyprus law derive from ? From greek law ? Does it lean more towards roman law or anglo-saxon law ?

zeroday : technically, do you know who took the decision of implementing the "laika bank fall" plan ? On what grounds is this responsible entity supposed to have taken such an action ? I can't see any person or entity having the power to change bankrupcy laws as it pleases ; any information on that subject will be appreciated, but on the other hand, keep silent on anything you think might be used against you in court. Good luck with the case.

1KEWxTkXPgfB9MdHJcfyoVnfHRnYEHQJPw
zeroday (OP)
Donator

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 05:09:35 AM

What kind of law does cyprus law derive from ? From greek law ? Does it lean more towards roman law or anglo-saxon law ?
Cyprus has adopted English legal system.

zeroday : technically, do you know who took the decision of implementing the "laika bank fall" plan ? On what grounds is this responsible entity supposed to have taken such an action ? I can't see any person or entity having the power to change bankrupcy laws as it pleases
The "fall" of Laiki Bank was conducted in accordance with the agreement of the Eurogroup with the Cyprus Government on 25 March 2013.
As I understand this is not a standard bankruptcy procedure. The bank is not being liquidated, but it is being split into "good" and "bad" bank.

The details are described in "Clarifications for the better understanding of the resolution measures implemented under the Resolution of Credit and Other Institutions Law, 2013 at the Bank of Cyprus and Laiki Bank"
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 ... 72 »
  Print  

Jump to: