Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 06:59:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 »
  Print  
Author Topic: My bank account's got robbed by European Commission. Over 700k is lost.  (Read 408449 times)
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 03:46:46 PM

Zeroday since your from Cyprus and your account was robbed by Laike Bank I would like to hear your opinion on Neo @ Bee for Cypriots.
Seems like an interesting development and a great place to start bitcoin adoption.

Just some background info

Neo offers Cypriot residents depository and financial services. Customers can open demand deposit, savings, business, and merchant accounts. Though all customer deposits are held in full reserve in Bitcoin, many customers will use Euro-pegged accounts, allowing them to interact with their money like they would with Euro deposits at any traditional bank.  Accounts will also be available that offer full exposure to the Bitcoin price level. Regardless of which currency they bank in primarily, all customers can seamlessly deposit, withdraw, or transfer either Bitcoin or Euros. Neo simplifies Bitcoin usage, to enable simple, easy transfers without requiring understanding of the complex technology.  Neo will comply with all applicable financial and banking laws and regulations.  The Flagship Branch and second branch are both planned to open in February 2014.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=289730.0

I've taken a look at this thread, and the bank is heavily dependent on the future success of the BTC exchange rate. They argue that a combination of new deposits into the bank re-directed at the BTC market, as well as their reserve funds, will all cover the risk, but it sounds like a gamble to me. Think carefully about this sort of model and the risks it carries.

Vires in numeris

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
zeroday (OP)
Donator

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 06:08:52 PM

Got some interesting news from my colleagues in Spain.

They confirmed that Spanish banks instructed to freeze any account which receives incoming transfer from Cyprus.
Another European countries may have similar practice.

Looks like EURO hold in Cyprus is "tainted" and is not welcomed in many European countries.
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4032
Merit: 1299

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 06:19:02 PM

Wow.  So there are two (or more) types of Euros now.  So much for a single currency!  It seems difficult to believe that this can last over the long term, but perhaps because Cyprus is relatively smaller than say Germany, it can be done.

They confirmed that Spanish banks instructed to freeze any account which receives incoming transfer from Cyprus.

Looks like EURO hold in Cyprus is "tainted" and is not welcomed in many European countries.

wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 09:08:15 PM

Wow.  So there are two (or more) types of Euros now.  So much for a single currency!  It seems difficult to believe that this can last over the long term, but perhaps because Cyprus is relatively smaller than say Germany, it can be done.

Are the cash withdrawal limit waves already? If so, it's not that hard to get the cash out. If this is true I'd advise anyone to do this ....
ronimacarroni

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 10:23:40 PM

The fight isn't between the left and the right, but the free and the ones who want to control and enslave them by hook or by crook. 
please refer to the diagram

zeroday (OP)
Donator

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 10:24:23 PM

Are the cash withdrawal limit waves already? If so, it's not that hard to get the cash out. If this is true I'd advise anyone to do this ....

Capital control is still enforced. ATM limits are the same. From personal account you cannot withdraw more than 300 EUR daily. 5000 EUR is maximum monthly allowance for transfers abroad.
Business accounts can transfer more but every wire to be approved by bank (and they often refuse).
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4032
Merit: 1299

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 11:57:53 PM

Hi,
As long as we're asking, can people purchase things from overseas without running afoul of the capital controls?  e.g. a new server, ASIC miner, 70 inch plasma TV, new car?  I'm just curious how trade hasn't completely stopped given the capital controls. 

I'm sure everyone here feels for you.

Capital control is still enforced. ATM limits are the same. From personal account you cannot withdraw more than 300 EUR daily. 5000 EUR is maximum monthly allowance for transfers abroad.
Business accounts can transfer more but every wire to be approved by bank (and they often refuse).

freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 05:22:05 AM
Last edit: September 12, 2013, 05:37:46 AM by freedomno1

Zeroday since your from Cyprus and your account was robbed by Laike Bank I would like to hear your opinion on Neo @ Bee for Cypriots.
Seems like an interesting development and a great place to start bitcoin adoption.

Just some background info

Neo offers Cypriot residents depository and financial services. Customers can open demand deposit, savings, business, and merchant accounts. Though all customer deposits are held in full reserve in Bitcoin, many customers will use Euro-pegged accounts, allowing them to interact with their money like they would with Euro deposits at any traditional bank.  Accounts will also be available that offer full exposure to the Bitcoin price level. Regardless of which currency they bank in primarily, all customers can seamlessly deposit, withdraw, or transfer either Bitcoin or Euros. Neo simplifies Bitcoin usage, to enable simple, easy transfers without requiring understanding of the complex technology.  Neo will comply with all applicable financial and banking laws and regulations.  The Flagship Branch and second branch are both planned to open in February 2014.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=289730.0

I've taken a look at this thread, and the bank is heavily dependent on the future success of the BTC exchange rate. They argue that a combination of new deposits into the bank re-directed at the BTC market, as well as their reserve funds, will all cover the risk, but it sounds like a gamble to me. Think carefully about this sort of model and the risks it carries.

Thanks for the reply was looking to Zeroday but yours is nice as well Smiley
Considering Zero has gotten out of the Cyprus fiasco altogether just wanted an honest opinion on it.
That said you should post in the security thread we don't bite much XD (except in labcoin where ponies rule )

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
zeroday (OP)
Donator

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 09:22:12 AM

Hi,
As long as we're asking, can people purchase things from overseas without running afoul of the capital controls?  e.g. a new server, ASIC miner, 70 inch plasma TV, new car?  I'm just curious how trade hasn't completely stopped given the capital controls. 

Some extractions from Capital control "Decree":

Code:
 - The maximum amount of cash withdrawal shall not exceed €300 daily, per natural person or €500 daily per legal person...
 - €3.000 of cash per natural person can be taken abroad. It should be emphasised that the €3.000 should be withdrawn via the daily limit of €300.
 - The cashing of cheques is prohibited.
 - Cashless payment or transfer of deposits/funds to accounts held in other credit institutions within the Republic up to €15.000 per month per natural person.
 - Cashless payment or transfer of deposits/funds to accounts held in other credit institutions within the Republic for the purchase of goods and or services up to €300.000, per transaction
 - Allowed transfers of deposits/funds outside the Republic up to €5.000 per month, per person for each credit institution and or payment institution regardless of the purpose.

Here is full translation of Capital Control Decree:
https://www.laiki.com/EN/TheBank/Documents/Decree19EN.pdf

Here is FAQ and comments:
http://www.centralbank.gov.cy/nqcontent.cfm?a_id=12583&lang=en

wachtwoord
Legendary

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 10:23:57 AM

Hi,

Some extractions from Capital control "Decree":

Code:
 - The maximum amount of cash withdrawal shall not exceed €300 daily, per natural person or €500 daily per legal person...
 - €3.000 of cash per natural person can be taken abroad. It should be emphasised that the €3.000 should be withdrawn via the daily limit of €300.
 - The cashing of cheques is prohibited.
 - Cashless payment or transfer of deposits/funds to accounts held in other credit institutions within the Republic up to €15.000 per month per natural person.
 - Cashless payment or transfer of deposits/funds to accounts held in other credit institutions within the Republic for the purchase of goods and or services up to €300.000, per transaction
 - Allowed transfers of deposits/funds outside the Republic up to €5.000 per month, per person for each credit institution and or payment institution regardless of the purpose.

Here is full translation of Capital Control Decree:
https://www.laiki.com/EN/TheBank/Documents/Decree19EN.pdf

Here is FAQ and comments:
http://www.centralbank.gov.cy/nqcontent.cfm?a_id=12583&lang=en

This sounds like money smuggling can be a real business in Cyprus now. Some organized gang should offer to buy Cyprus cash for less then face value in either fiat currency abroad or Bitcoins (or goods) and smuggle everything out by boat. I doubt Cyprus is rich enough to do proper patrolling. To be sure, go with a lot of guys and be armed to the teeth (the Italian mafia is rather close).
zeroday (OP)
Donator

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 03:46:13 PM

This sounds like money smuggling can be a real business in Cyprus now. Some organized gang should offer to buy Cyprus cash for less then face value in either fiat currency abroad or Bitcoins (or goods) and smuggle everything out by boat. I doubt Cyprus is rich enough to do proper patrolling. To be sure, go with a lot of guys and be armed to the teeth (the Italian mafia is rather close).

Exactly, there are many offers for you money to escape Cyprus banking jail for 10-15%
But these offers does not work for amounts over 100k which were expropriated in March because that money are just lost.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2013, 04:07:39 PM

sad. and others in europe will follow.  Roll Eyes

BitAddict
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 02:38:26 PM

Exactly, there are many offers for you money to escape Cyprus banking jail for 10-15%
But these offers does not work for amounts over 100k which were expropriated in March because that money are just lost.

wow there is getting ridiculous :/

I have no doubt in Spain we will follow soon... sad but true.
leopard2
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1014

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 12:38:45 AM

can you not buy gold from your bank or from a dealer in Cyprus, that would be an intra-country transfer?

Truth is the new hatespeech.
infested999

Activity: 854
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 01:56:28 AM

can you not buy gold from your bank or from a dealer in Cyprus, that would be an intra-country transfer?

But you can't export gold.

▄███▄   ▄███▄
              █████   █████
      ▄███▄    ▀▀▀     ▀▀▀    ▄███▄
      █████     ▄██▄ ▄██▄     █████
       ▀▀▀ ▄██▄ ▀██▀ ▀██▀ ▄██▄ ▀▀▀
 ▄███▄     ▀██▀           ▀██▀     ▄███▄
 █████ ▄██▄                   ▄██▄ █████
  ▀▀▀  ▀██▀                   ▀██▀  ▀▀▀
                       ▄█
▄███▄ ▄██▄            ███ ███  ▄██▄ ▄███▄
█████ ▀██▀  ████      █████    ▀██▀ █████
 ▀▀▀         ▀███▄    ████           ▀▀▀
       ▄██▄    ████   ███     ▄██▄
 ▄███▄ ▀██▀     ▀███  ███     ▀██▀ ▄███▄
 █████            ███▄██           █████
  ▀▀▀              ▀████            ▀▀▀
                     ███
                     ███
                     ██
                   ███

████    ██
  ████    ██
    ████    ██
      ████    ██
        ████    ██
          ████    ██
          ████    ██
        ████    ██
      ████    ██
    ████    ██
  ████    ██
████    ██

White Paper
Yellow Paper
Pitch Deck
Telegram
LinkedIn
Twitter
wachtwoord
Legendary

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 02:22:20 PM

But you can't export gold.

It's called smuggling.
tinus42

Merit: 501

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 05:32:42 PM

In Belgium cash payments above 3000 euro's are already forbidden.
wachtwoord
Legendary

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 06:28:31 PM

Brilliant. Let them make their Monopoly money even less appealing. They're playing right into our hands  Smiley
BitAddict
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 07:14:44 PM

In Spain is worse, you can pay only up to 2,500€
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 07:15:59 PM

In Spain is worse, you can pay only up to 2,500€

Can one not pay his taxes in cash?

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 »
  Print  

Jump to: