Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 02:17:45 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: If Bitcoin was made illegal by your government and the punishment was very bad would you still use it, would you still support it?  (Voting closed: December 25, 2016, 01:05:03 AM)
yes - 111 (63.8%)
no - 21 (12.1%)
not sure - 35 (20.1%)
other - 7 (4%)
Total Voters: 174

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: If Bitcoin was made illegal by your government would you still use it?  (Read 16742 times)
Sanshipo

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 07, 2016, 01:37:50 PM

Yes.  You can just use vpn or tor powered browser . I know some bitcoin users who still uses bitcoin even tho it is banned from their country.  I think they also use vpn or something.
chesatochi

Activity: 812
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2016, 03:03:54 PM

Yes.  You can just use vpn or tor powered browser . I know some bitcoin users who still uses bitcoin even tho it is banned from their country.  I think they also use vpn or something.

If my government will ban the Bitcoin and make it illegal I think I will simply try to convert it in fiat currency from my country. For the moment in my Country the Bitcoin will not be banned Smiley

This technology is so amazing and the government should invest time to learn it and adopt policies instead to fight against it.

chixka000

Activity: 910
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 07, 2016, 03:10:57 PM

Well everyone can actually do it. The problem here is that how can you convert your bitcoin earnings into fiat and when you get caught you will surely go to jail which is actually a hell so better safe than sorry.
CyberKuro

Activity: 798
Merit: 506

View Profile
November 07, 2016, 03:45:24 PM

Bitcoin in my country is legal for some product like electricity, phone bill but for other products is prohibited. However, many people use bitcoin for transaction that is not public because it is difficult to trace. In indonesia the legal currency is Rupiah. Using bitcoin for such products is not ilegal but for others I have never tried.

I guess it is not illegal in your country for anything but it is just not accepted for buying those stuff as there are not much places accepting bitcoin in asian countries though there are a lot in european countries.
And i feel no country would ban bitcoin if they come to know about its potential and its use.

Until now, I never find Government passed a law to made bitcoin illegal in their country. There are some regulations about using and tax for bitcoin user but in several country and bitcoin consider as legal thing. In my country states that bitcoin and other virtual currency are not currency or legal payment instrument but we can convert it into fiat money, right? I will still use bitcoin even if it made illegal by gov, but the main problem how to convert it if local exchanger had closed, maybe using another currency to convert my bitcoin.
crairezx20
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1046

View Profile
November 07, 2016, 03:51:31 PM

Bitcoin in my country is legal for some product like electricity, phone bill but for other products is prohibited. However, many people use bitcoin for transaction that is not public because it is difficult to trace. In indonesia the legal currency is Rupiah. Using bitcoin for such products is not ilegal but for others I have never tried.

I guess it is not illegal in your country for anything but it is just not accepted for buying those stuff as there are not much places accepting bitcoin in asian countries though there are a lot in european countries.
And i feel no country would ban bitcoin if they come to know about its potential and its use.

Until now, I never find Government passed a law to made bitcoin illegal in their country. There are some regulations about using and tax for bitcoin user but in several country and bitcoin consider as legal thing. In my country states that bitcoin and other virtual currency are not currency or legal payment instrument but we can convert it into fiat money, right? I will still use bitcoin even if it made illegal by gov, but the main problem how to convert it if local exchanger had closed, maybe using another currency to convert my bitcoin.
Many ways to convert it and you can receive it via western union into usd.. and after that you will exchange it again into local currency..
But i think bitcoin should not consider as illegal since we are just use it as alternative currency online..
thejaytiesto
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1014

View Profile
November 07, 2016, 05:20:03 PM

If you stop using bitcoin because government scares you away from using it, then you are responsible of killing bitcoin. People should stay strong, otherwise you are attacking btc as a side effect.
moriskarlov

Activity: 546
Merit: 252

View Profile
November 07, 2016, 09:36:02 PM

I do not want to break the law. But it is my right to invest my own money in what I want. If this does not bring harm to other people.
Fatanut
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1060

View Profile
November 08, 2016, 04:07:11 PM

Well everyone can actually do it. The problem here is that how can you convert your bitcoin earnings into fiat and when you get caught you will surely go to jail which is actually a hell so better safe than sorry.
I don't think the law about bitcoin will be that strong because in the first place, there's no reason for them to ban bitcoins. If getting caught selling bitcoins would put you in jail, I'm pretty sure exchangers are already gone and people would start doing P2P trading instead. They will just look for a trusted bitcoin buyer/sellers in their area that wouldn't report them to the police.

░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄
░░░░▄██████████▄
░░░██████████████
░░██████▐▌██████
█████░░░░░░░▀█████
██████▄▄░░▄▄░░██████
████████░░▀▀▄██████
████████░░▄▄▄░░█████
██████▀▀░░▀▀▀░░█████
█████░░░░░░░░█████
░░██████▐▌██████
░░░██████████████
░░░░▀██████████▀
░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀
░░░

BitCloak Bitcoin Mixer  
  BTC & BCH | API| MULTIADDRESS| PGP PROOF|  FAST MIX |  ESCROW|  MORE ! 

░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄
░░░░▄██████████▄
░░░██████████████
░░██████▐▌██████
█████░░░░░░░▀█████
██████▄▄░░▄▄░░██████
████████░░▀▀▄██████
████████░░▄▄▄░░█████
██████▀▀░░▀▀▀░░█████
█████░░░░░░░░█████
░░██████▐▌██████
░░░██████████████
░░░░▀██████████▀
░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀
░░░

krishna1

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 08, 2016, 05:31:57 PM

the first think i think about is how the government will find that i use bitcoin or not. well they can check the ip address lacations this i do not think will let them locate me at a correct place. and the second this is i dont really care about government till i am using btc for my personal use like if i buy an toffie why would gov punish me for it

RobFre

Activity: 172
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 08, 2016, 06:35:33 PM

I think it will never become illegal but in that case i would immediately stop using it. Bitcoins are not a big part of my life and the risk of fines or even jail would be too big compared to the gins. However I would keep my private key in some safe place in case of expatriation or changes in the laws.
_Miracle

Activity: 907
Merit: 660

Do due diligence

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2016, 08:55:29 PM

Did you even read? Just because there's a table doesn't mean that it is the list of countries banned bitcoin. If you actually read it, you'll notice that it just says that "status" of bitcoin in those countries. There are countries that has banned bitcoins but bitcoin is still being sold in their country (i.e. Taiwan) . I guess from that we can conclude that even if bitcoin gets banned in your country, you can still actually use it. Most countries just say that it's an unregulated money.

Also, some of those will change (have changed) over time.
At one point it was a big deal that China had banned bitcoin BUT it is obvious that btc businesses were operating (and thriving) during that time.
I suppose I was always under the impression (as an American) that if you were a Chinese citizen you wouldn't risk going against your government.

There 'used' to be more truth in forums than anywhere else.  Twitter:  @cryptobitchicks  Spock: "I am expressing multiple attitudes simultaneously. To which are you referring?"  INTJ-A
madwica

Activity: 714
Merit: 531

View Profile
November 08, 2016, 08:58:40 PM

For me i do not used it because illegal thing are not tolerable in my country and i do not want to be in jail i want to work fare and i know that doing good make you happy and avoiding illegal make your life much happier.
Victorycoin

Activity: 1134
Merit: 517

View Profile
November 09, 2016, 10:34:08 PM

You will do well to remember that bitcoin was from the word go, designed for peer 2 peer transactions and that is what gives sleepless nights to the authorities. Nonetheless, one can actually remain anonymous all they like, issues on identity only shows up at the point when one becomes fascinated with moving from bitcoin to the fiats. Good news remains that technology is on the side of anyone looking to take financial chains off their neck, That of course, is a choice, though it is unfortunate, some people are so sold to slavery.
Catlonid

Activity: 190
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 10, 2016, 01:43:49 AM

For me i do not used it because illegal thing are not tolerable in my country and i do not want to be in jail i want to work fare and i know that doing good make you happy and avoiding illegal make your life much happier.
I think same with you. illegally is like going to jail because illegal is breaking the law same with you want going to jail. and I think if bitcoin illegal, I will retire with bitcoin.
SamMurphy

Activity: 107
Merit: 10

Bitcoin unionhead who's neglecting fiat :)

View Profile
November 10, 2016, 12:38:35 PM

Bitcoin was designed to be anonymous. So yeah I would still use it. I know it's maybe hard to go but I would still use it.
rababo

Activity: 490

View Profile
November 10, 2016, 01:51:28 PM

I think I'll leave bitcoin for sure. If bitcoin become illegal then using bitcoin can be considered as a crime and that could put me on jail. I don't wanna take a risk for that. Although it's hard to do, but I have to do it.
ariesjia

Activity: 406

View Profile
November 10, 2016, 02:12:19 PM

I think I'll leave bitcoin for sure. If bitcoin become illegal then using bitcoin can be considered as a crime and that could put me on jail. I don't wanna take a risk for that. Although it's hard to do, but I have to do it.

Majority of users will prefer to quit bitcoins if Government makes it illegal as people would be scared of using it and may feel threat in using it as it can be treated as an criminal offense but even if it gets banned or become illegal I am sure people will find alternatives to earn them and spend them.
piloder
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1006

View Profile
November 10, 2016, 02:29:47 PM

I will keep on using and storing my money in bitcoin like normal even if our government banned exchange of bitcoin or use of it. With bitcoin we can always remain anonymous while doing bitcoin transactions so why to worry about getting catched using bitcoin, no government can't just banned or shut down whole bitcoin network like other payment gateways.
chixka000

Activity: 910
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 11, 2016, 02:45:53 PM

I don't think the law about bitcoin will be that strong because in the first place, there's no reason for them to ban bitcoins. If getting caught selling bitcoins would put you in jail, I'm pretty sure exchangers are already gone and people would start doing P2P trading instead. They will just look for a trusted bitcoin buyer/sellers in their area that wouldn't report them to the police.

You are right but the thing here is that base on the current exchanger that i am using. Buying and selling is really not that easy because the certain exchanger is also trying to hold on the local regulations. So if they did able to do it then they surely can monitor your transaction and identity as well. Bitcoin law may be weak but when they attached law from your areas then it could become stronger
equator
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 11, 2016, 02:58:16 PM

You are right but the thing here is that base on the current exchanger that i am using. Buying and selling is really not that easy because the certain exchanger is also trying to hold on the local regulations. So if they did able to do it then they surely can monitor your transaction and identity as well. Bitcoin law may be weak but when they attached law from your areas then it could become stronger

It is true that each and every country and state have their own law, and in some country still their is no law but still if you use bitcoin you can show as investment or if you are trading then show as short term profit and show in tax law.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: