Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 08:37:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 ... 87 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Worst bitcoin decision you've ever made?  (Read 96994 times)
boumalo
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1018

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2014, 08:20:19 PM

Not the worst by any means, but i think it was a bad decision for anyone who didn't add more to their holdings on this last dip down near $335.   Understandably a lot of people have already invested all that they can afford into BTC or other alt-coins, but there really hasn't been any major substantiated news to cause the market to fall to those prices.   It was obvious that purchasing at those levels would be profitable.

This will haunt them as we shatter $5(000) in August 11.

It sure is easier in 20/20 hinsight, at the time it was easy to think it could go down some more

Why August 11? Just because why not? Tongue

Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
counter

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 09:05:08 PM

I think not being able to take advantage of the Mtgox vs Bitstamp price difference at the time.  That was very painful to watch.
apsvinet

Activity: 224
Merit: 101

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 09:07:40 PM

Bought 200BTC at $18 more then a year ago, sold it for $80 thinking I made HUGE profit, classic screwup but who would know it would go to $1100
Just like for everyone else thats the tricky part. You can't predict what's gonna happen. In my opinion you still made a good deal, although not optimal at all.

If i kept every bitcoin that I had , when I had the most, I would have >1mUSD at todays prices. Sucks but yeah, I made a concious decision to hedge my risks back then.
Hah, yeah. It's a bit worse for the people who just lost them due to not caring as they weren't valuable at all, now realizing they'd be millionaires.

Well, then thing is, they never invested real money. So it is no that sad actually. Like the guy that had 10000 BTC on a harddrive that he mined 5 years ago on a laptop and then the harddrive ended up on the wasteplant. Not much investment right there, but sure it sucks to lose out on so much money Wink
Ah yeah. I've also had the policy to not invest any of my own money into bitcoins. I can't afford unsafe investments, even tho I'm fully aware I might regret it in 5 years.

This hugely depends on your personal finances. If you have disposable income, why not throw 5% of that into a high risk/high reward investment. The upside is huge and the downside is limited to -100%. If you are also young , then this sounds like a snapcall to me. (It was for me). But be sure to not be emotional about it, and make decisions on fundametials , not panic and price.!!!
That's the problem, I don't really have a disposable income that I can invest in anything. If I had, however, I would definitely consider investing small sums in bitcoins.

∎               GAWMiners The Hashlet World's first digital cloud miner!
∎∎∎   No pool fees Instant activation Never obsolete Always profitable
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 09:56:18 PM

Bought 200BTC at $18 more then a year ago, sold it for $80 thinking I made HUGE profit, classic screwup but who would know it would go to $1100
Just like for everyone else thats the tricky part. You can't predict what's gonna happen. In my opinion you still made a good deal, although not optimal at all.

If i kept every bitcoin that I had , when I had the most, I would have >1mUSD at todays prices. Sucks but yeah, I made a concious decision to hedge my risks back then.
Hah, yeah. It's a bit worse for the people who just lost them due to not caring as they weren't valuable at all, now realizing they'd be millionaires.

Well, then thing is, they never invested real money. So it is no that sad actually. Like the guy that had 10000 BTC on a harddrive that he mined 5 years ago on a laptop and then the harddrive ended up on the wasteplant. Not much investment right there, but sure it sucks to lose out on so much money Wink
Ah yeah. I've also had the policy to not invest any of my own money into bitcoins. I can't afford unsafe investments, even tho I'm fully aware I might regret it in 5 years.

This hugely depends on your personal finances. If you have disposable income, why not throw 5% of that into a high risk/high reward investment. The upside is huge and the downside is limited to -100%. If you are also young , then this sounds like a snapcall to me. (It was for me). But be sure to not be emotional about it, and make decisions on fundametials , not panic and price.!!!
That's the problem, I don't really have a disposable income that I can invest in anything. If I had, however, I would definitely consider investing small sums in bitcoins.

In your case, I still think it would be advantageous to put small amounts of money that you receive as birthday presents, xmas presents, etc...into BTC.  It will grow long term, and may also keep you from spending it...
TwinWinNerD
Legendary

Activity: 1680

CEO Bitpanda.com

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2014, 10:28:25 PM

In your case, I still think it would be advantageous to put small amounts of money that you receive as birthday presents, xmas presents, etc...into BTC.  It will grow long term, and may also keep you from spending it...

Or , you know... How is it called? ... work. Work! Smiley

boumalo
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2014, 10:35:26 PM

I think not being able to take advantage of the Mtgox vs Bitstamp price difference at the time.  That was very painful to watch.

Hopefully you didn't because you would have lost your money stuck on gox

bananaControl

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

Decentralize All The Things!

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 10:50:31 PM

Not actually buying the 1500 coins back in 2010 that I had planned on, and consciously avoiding bitcoin until 2013.
allthingsluxury
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2014, 11:00:20 PM

lol, very unfortunate story, but I would say for those of us who have been around for a long time in the BTC scene, we all have very similar stories of spending BTC quite low.

apsvinet

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 11:01:34 PM

Well, in the end, it's just a risk-reward calculation everyone has to do on his own. I couldn't handle losing a single dollar, not because I needed it or that I couldn't afford to lose it, but it's a principal thing. Therefore ( for now ) I'm not putting real cash into something that
-can- theoretically drop to zero value in days. Even though the probability is low, very low, it still exists.

theskillzdatklls

Activity: 1328
Merit: 563

MintDice.com | TG: t.me/MintDice

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2014, 11:07:43 PM
Last edit: April 16, 2014, 01:28:36 AM by theskillzdatklls

July-August of 2012 when I was huge on learning/understanding investing phase I just blank stared at mtgox.com wondering if I should invest part of my 6-figure portfolio on bitcoin.  I paused for 5-10 minutes and decided that while it would be a good investment if my $ could instantly transfer over, it wasn't worth the time and effort it would take to get it all onto gox. I then put all of it into a slew of 25-30 different ETFs.

I probably would have started with about $5k worth at 11/coin but knowing what I did later on I probably would have purchased a lot more than 5k while they were in the two figure range.  FML.  

Did awesome on the run up from 100 to 1k though.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄████████▀▀▀▀███▄
███████▀     ████
███████   ███████
█████        ████
███████   ███████
▀██████   ██████▀
  ▀▀▀▀▀   ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
██    ▄▄▄▄▄ ▀  ██
██   █▀   ▀█   ██
██   █▄   ▄█   ██
██    ▀▀▀▀▀    ██
▀██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▀
  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄
█▄▄      ████████▄
 █████▄▄████████▌
▀██████████████▌
  █████████████
  ▀██████████▀
   ▄▄██████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀

██  ██
  ███████████▄
    ██      ▀█
    ██▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀
    ██▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
    ██      ▄█
  ███████████▀
    ██  ██

▄
       ▄  ▄█▄ ▀█▀      ▄
      ▀█▀  ▀   ▄  ▄█▄ ▀█▀
███▄▄▄        ▀█▀  ▀     ▄▄▄███       ▐█▄    ▄█▌   ▐█▌   █▄    ▐█▌   ████████   █████▄     ██    ▄█████▄▄   ▐█████▌
████████▄▄           ▄▄████████       ▐███▄▄███▌   ▐█▌   ███▄  ▐█▌      ██      █▌  ▀██    ██   ▄██▀   ▀▀   ▐█
███████████▄       ▄███████████       ▐█▌▀██▀▐█▌   ▐█▌   ██▀██▄▐█▌      ██      █▌   ▐█▌   ██   ██          ▐█████▌
 ████████████     ████████████        ▐█▌    ▐█▌   ▐█▌   ██  ▀███▌      ██      █▌  ▄██    ██   ▀██▄   ▄▄   ▐█
  ████████████   ████████████         ▐█▌    ▐█▌   ▐█▌   ██    ▀█▌      ██      █████▀     ██    ▀█████▀▀   ▐█████▌
   ▀███████████ ███████████▀
     ▀███████████████████▀
        ▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀
FIND OUT MORE AT MINTDICE.COM
boumalo
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2014, 12:04:12 AM

Well, in the end, it's just a risk-reward calculation everyone has to do on his own. I couldn't handle losing a single dollar, not because I needed it or that I couldn't afford to lose it, but it's a principal thing. Therefore ( for now ) I'm not putting real cash into something that
-can- theoretically drop to zero value in days. Even though the probability is low, very low, it still exists.

Most investments can loose more than 90% of their value if it goes really wrong even real estate (new laws, legal fees, revolution or natural disaster), bonds, stocks, art,...

Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 12:10:56 AM

The Mtgox vs Bitstamp price difference was best for people with a Japanese bank account. (and Mark's friends at the Foundation?)
Hey, at least you didn't have tons of money stuck in the Gox final meltdown.

gagalady
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 02:11:19 PM

That i didn't bought bitcoin when it was $2  Cry
stash

Activity: 173
Merit: 100

btcmy.net

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2014, 03:17:50 PM

NEO BEE (20 BTC)  Angry

Tehtarik Fund : 1KxyB3iauJzLvDnZuchekGkB2D7p4UMvuq
BTCitcoin : Mathematical Logic to Eliminate Human Greed
TwinWinNerD
Legendary

Activity: 1680

CEO Bitpanda.com

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2014, 03:41:21 PM

NEO BEE (20 BTC)  Angry

I don't want to needle you, but I wonder why people invested in this firm. Have you personally read the business proposal/prospectus? It was pure garbage, they stated themselves that they can only be profitable if the BTC price rises by 80% a year. They had no legit income source.

Sorry ofr your loss nonetheless!

deadley
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 1064

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 04:19:46 PM

i had chance, when my friend was starting his rig, he offered me partnership and i was not interested coz of caution

apsvinet

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 04:24:21 PM

Most investments can loose more than 90% of their value if it goes really wrong even real estate (new laws, legal fees, revolution or natural disaster), bonds, stocks, art,...
And I have not invested in any of those either. Smiley

fattypig

Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2014, 04:25:43 PM

doing nothing right now...

apsvinet

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 04:26:18 PM

doing nothing right now...
Haha, that's easy to do something about though, isn't it?

Transisto
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2014, 06:54:00 PM

Bitcoinica
BFL
BFL
IdeDrill
Hashfast
BitFunder - Weexchange
MtGox

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 ... 87 »
  Print  

Jump to: