Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 01:44:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 »
  Print  
Author Topic: I just got hacked - any help is welcome! (25,000 BTC stolen)  (Read 381631 times)
mrb
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1027

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2011, 01:55:20 AM

And all someone would have to do is some quick laundering if they noticed some of the coins they had were on the list.  Sending them to a couple of exchanges, then back to themselves would suffice.

Hum, no. In fact, the moment you send stolen coins to an exchange is the moment you can get caught and linked to a personal identity. In the method I described, stolen coins would be tracked by the Bitcoin client, including the clients used by exchanges/merchants to receive payments.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2011, 02:30:36 AM
Last edit: August 08, 2011, 03:03:03 AM by JoelKatz
Merited by vapourminer (1)

Hum, no. In fact, the moment you send stolen coins to an exchange is the moment you can get caught and linked to a personal identity. In the method I described, stolen coins would be tracked by the Bitcoin client, including the clients used by exchanges/merchants to receive payments.
I don't see how. All you do is create a fresh wallet, send the stolen coins to the fresh wallet, then send them to your wallet, and then to the exchange. How can anyone tell that this is any different from you receiving the coins legitimately?

If you start hounding people because they received bitcoins that were stolen a few transactions back, you reduce the usefulness of bitcoins to near zero. Consider:

1) You place an ad to sell some widgets for bitcoins.

2) Someone accepts your offer and sends you 10 bitcoins for the widgets.

3) You see that most of those bitcoins were stolen 10 transactions back 10 weeks ago. But you have no idea if the person who sent you the bitcoins did all 10 of those transactions between his own addresses and just waited 10 weeks or if the bitcoins have been in circulation for 10 weeks.

4) If you accept the bitcoins, and so does everyone else, then anyone can easily launder stolen bitcoins through you. If you do not, and everyone else doesn't either, the bitcoins become useless -- two weeks after you accept some bitcoins and send the widgets, you may find your bitcoins become unspendable. So you can't safely hold bitcoins and we all play hot potato with them. Yuck.

And, worse, whether you keep them or send them back, if you're not careful, you can easily contaminate your own bitcoin stash with the tainted coins.

While I certainly agree that forensic tracking of the stolen coins in the hope of identifying the thief is a great idea, trying to stop the spread of the coins will never harm the thief anywhere near as much as it harms legitimate users of bitcoins and the bitcoin system in general.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
allinvain (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1080

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2011, 04:06:53 AM

Oh crap..seems Symantec Antivirus just identified bitcoin-miner.exe as a Trojan.Gen. Son of a ****....that _may_ have been the method of attack used to steal my btc. This is the same .exe file I had on my previous Win 7 install before I formatted and reinstalled. Also this file was not flagged by Norton at the time.

I'm wondering is anyone here adept with hex editor or some way of analyzing the binary? I'd be willing to zip it up and send it to you.

P.S. for those of you who do not know bitcoin-miner.exe is UFASoft's SSE2 miner.

Exonumia

Activity: 189
Merit: 101

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 04:15:58 AM
Last edit: August 08, 2011, 08:03:33 AM by Exonumia
Merited by vapourminer (1)

Oh crap..seems Symantec Antivirus just identified bitcoin-miner.exe as a Trojan.Gen. Son of a ****....that _may_ have been the method of attack used to steal my btc. This is the same .exe file I had on my previous Win 7 install before I formatted and reinstalled. Also this file was not flagged by Norton at the time.

I'm wondering is anyone here adept with hex editor or some way of analyzing the binary? I'd be willing to zip it up and send it to you.

P.S. for those of you who do not know bitcoin-miner.exe is UFASoft's SSE2 miner.

The current theory is that it is being flagged since there is a trojan/bot-net that is downloading it and using it to mine on unsuspecting peoples computers.

edit: keep the files just in case... there is no certain in computers, while it looks like a false positive and or warning marker being used by several of the av companies, I've learned to never be surprised by what can be done Wink

some links I have found are below. I started seeing it being flagged July 5th by Ikarus originally they called it a trojan but they have since updated its name to "possible-Threat.Win32.BitCoinMiner" showing that they are alerting that it is there... people who know nothing of bitcoin or are not mining would have their attention drawn to a possible trojan existing on their system just by seeing it there.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2390290,00.asp  (researcher post http://www.f-secure.com/weblog/archives/00002207.html )
allinvain (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2011, 06:51:51 AM

The current theory is that it is being flagged since there is a trojan/bot-net that is downloading it and using it to mine on unsuspecting peoples computers.

I see. That makes sense. Thanks for the info!

i dig bitcoins

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 09:10:06 PM

After reading the back and forth in this thread, some harsh and some less so, it all boils down to the loss of BTC via theft. I ABSOLUTELY HATE THIEVES and as a miner myself, it would be horrendous to lose such an amount...whether it be through neglect, ignorance, and lack of vigil. As such, I just want to say I feel for ya man, that really sucks and I really wish I was in a position to help you out. DAMN you to hell all you F@#$%ing parasites looking to steal someone else's hard work and investment.
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 09:41:12 PM

I just wish allinvain hadn't sold all his 25,000 coins in August. Good social engineering hack with this thread though, had everyone believing you Smiley

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
allinvain (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2011, 12:43:34 AM

I just wish allinvain hadn't sold all his 25,000 coins in August. Good social engineering hack with this thread though, had everyone believing you Smiley

Ha! You again. I really wish I sold them, but that is sadly not the case.

Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
August 09, 2011, 12:51:08 AM

You still have coins though. In the first post you said a big chunk, you didn'y say all of them, plus with the price down to this, you are losing less and less.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
TraderTimm
Legendary

View Profile
August 09, 2011, 01:09:21 AM

No, really, you can drop the facade. I mean, everyone is saying bitcoin is going to zero - it won't matter that much if you do, will it?

Unless you are still getting donations, I'm not familiar as to how scams work...

allinvain (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2011, 02:48:31 AM

You still have coins though. In the first post you said a big chunk, you didn'y say all of them, plus with the price down to this, you are losing less and less.

99% of them were stolen. So yes I still have some plus what I'm continuing to mine. Is this your twisted form of consoling me? That's like someone stealing $499 from your wallet and someone comes around and says "cheer up buddy, you still have $1"

allinvain (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2011, 02:53:21 AM
Last edit: August 09, 2011, 07:09:49 AM by allinvain

No, really, you can drop the facade. I mean, everyone is saying bitcoin is going to zero - it won't matter that much if you do, will it?

Unless you are still getting donations, I'm not familiar as to how scams work...

No, really, you can just screw off with your high and mighty attitude, really, please do. You give the bitcoin community a bad name and you provide nothing of value to this thread. Be gone troll!

Actually it does matter to me if bitcoins go to zero because I believe in them more than YOU. You are just an opportunist who got in late and you're sour about it. I'm willing to bet you barely have more than a handful of coins. And if you do, you are most likely liquidating them as I type.

For your information I am not getting donations. I got 3 donations but that's it. I never asked for donations, and I do not care if I do get any either way. The only thing that will make me happy is if I recover a portion (unlikely all at this point) of my stolen property or if the thief is caught and brought to some sort of justice. But maybe concepts of justice elude you. In your mind probably the law of the jungle reigns, no? You have shown nothing but animosity and unfounded accusations.

mrb
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1027

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2011, 05:04:04 AM

I don't see how. All you do is create a fresh wallet, send the stolen coins to the fresh wallet, then send them to your wallet, and then to the exchange. How can anyone tell that this is any different from you receiving the coins legitimately?

For doing this, you don't even need a fresh wallet. Just create new addresses, send the coins to them, and repeat at will.

My mechanism does not pretend to be able to differentiate the thief from someone who received them legitimately (hence the question mark at the end of my post). It would just allow to trace back to the thief, who would then have to invent stories explaining how he received them.

If you start hounding people because they received bitcoins that were stolen a few transactions back, you reduce the usefulness of bitcoins to near zero. Consider:

1) You place an ad to sell some widgets for bitcoins.

2) Someone accepts your offer and sends you 10 bitcoins for the widgets.

3) You see that most of those bitcoins were stolen 10 transactions back 10 weeks ago. But you have no idea if the person who sent you the bitcoins did all 10 of those transactions between his own addresses and just waited 10 weeks or if the bitcoins have been in circulation for 10 weeks.

4) If you accept the bitcoins, and so does everyone else, then anyone can easily launder stolen bitcoins through you. If you do not, and everyone else doesn't either, the bitcoins become useless -- two weeks after you accept some bitcoins and send the widgets, you may find your bitcoins become unspendable. So you can't safely hold bitcoins and we all play hot potato with them. Yuck.

And, worse, whether you keep them or send them back, if you're not careful, you can easily contaminate your own bitcoin stash with the tainted coins.

While I certainly agree that forensic tracking of the stolen coins in the hope of identifying the thief is a great idea, trying to stop the spread of the coins will never harm the thief anywhere near as much as it harms legitimate users of bitcoins and the bitcoin system in general.

I entirely agree. Again, I am not saying we should refuse to accept stolen coins. This is just a forensic tracking platform that I am proposing.
allinvain (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2011, 07:15:00 AM

Signature:
Donation : 1KPTdMb6p7H3YCwsyFqrEmKGmsHqe1Q3jg

Follow me in twitter @aaronbarr

Taken from a forum member's profile page.

FlipPro
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 09, 2011, 08:17:32 AM

Signature:
Donation : 1KPTdMb6p7H3YCwsyFqrEmKGmsHqe1Q3jg

Follow me in twitter @aaronbarr

Taken from a forum member's profile page.
AllinVain for the sake of the community could you please let this thread die? I think it would be more appropriate for you to make a detailed post in the Project Development section showing proof of the hack, and then asking donations from in there. Even I will donate something if you do us the favor of closing this unpleasant thread. I feel for you, and thats why I am willing to donate, in an appropriate thread, in it's appropriate section of the forum.
TraderTimm
Legendary

View Profile
August 09, 2011, 08:25:58 AM

99% of them were stolen. So yes I still have some plus what I'm continuing to mine. Is this your twisted form of consoling me? That's like someone stealing $499 from your wallet and someone comes around and says "cheer up buddy, you still have $1"

It's cool, man - hey, just give in and tell us all how you snookered everyone into believing it. Clever bit of social engineering, really.

I mean, how did you get the inspiration to look at the blockchain and target a high-value transfer and claim it as your own? Honestly, took balls, it did. Look what it netted you! A bunch of high-profile stories and no doubt some consolation-donations.

That is the clever bit, right? Don't worry, maybe you messed up a bit liquidating this past week - but we all make mistakes. Just hold off on the rest, eh? Well, you probably figured that out when it broke below 7, lol Smiley

TraderTimm
Legendary

View Profile
August 09, 2011, 08:29:02 AM

AllinVain for the sake of the community could you please let this thread die? I think it would be more appropriate for you to make a detailed post in the Project Development section showing proof of the hack, and then asking donations from in there. Even I will donate something if you do us the favor of closing this unpleasant thread. I feel for you, and thats why I am willing to donate, in an appropriate thread, in it's appropriate section of the forum.

See, that was the part (of many) that tipped me off. The guy just can't let this thread die - or he'd lose out on his donation 'flow' right? Just so obvious after-the-fact and all.

I'd say, come clean or at the very least lock this thread - but lets be honest, he won't, because the filthy lucre overcomes any righteous 'judgements' eh?

Just watch, it will sink to the bottom and maybe to page two....but....miraculously....it will be refreshed by you-know-who, lol Smiley

indio007

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 09, 2011, 11:27:24 AM

Honestly I haven't believed this bullshit from the beginning. I've never promoted banning someone before but Allinvain should be banned for the damage he's done to bitcoin. There has been absolutely no evidence , much less proof that he lost anything.
indio007

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 09, 2011, 11:29:44 AM

They're not manipulated images but I had a feeling some of you would think that. I can get slush and maybe a few others to corroborate me. In the end it doesn't matter any more. I'm going to step back from this forum for a bit. I'll keep an eye on the thread but not participate. There is nothing more that I can add to this so far.

still waiting for this....
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 09, 2011, 03:34:10 PM

You guys are all a bunch of fear-mongering conspiracy theorists.  I'm not sure why you decided on allinvain to pick on/troll, but take it elsewhere.  That kind of crappy attitude is far more damaging to the bitcoin community than anything you think allinvain is lying about.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 »
  Print  

Jump to: