Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 10:43:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 »
  Print  
Author Topic: GekkoScience is now dabbling with 16nm ASICs for new designs  (Read 76791 times)
takagari
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 17, 2016, 01:28:04 AM

Problem I have with them, is they block MAC addresses on their network, unless it's been authorized.
So unless I can somehow trick the system into thinking my miner is a laptop, no joy
But using a USB setup through my already approved laptop. All good Smiley

If you're too lazy to ssh into openwrt...Just use an r1 to bridge to lan, use your laptop for logging into the network (if they have one of those wifi portals) hook up a switch and your golden.

And if you're using an r1 you might as well use crazyguy's r1 patch so that you can mine altcoins or solo ck... Grin
Not to derail the thread, but it's a matter of the network admins themselves, only approved mac address, so not sure how to change the one on the miner,
either way their to loud for the room
so these usb ones are for me Smiley
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
isoneguy

Activity: 518
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 17, 2016, 01:31:31 AM

the r1 runs openwrt you could change the mac as instructed for a miner...you could run s7-ln's or something with silentish fans
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
December 17, 2016, 01:43:33 AM

Or just run a stratum proxy on the laptop and keep miners on their own switch. There's probably a lot of ways to do that, but it's not really necessary to discuss here.

I don't know if there'll be an update to cgminer proper, that's between vh and ck. VH's code so far compiles cgminer with --enable-gekko like Novak's, but vh's code is better. There is no code "for the chip so it talks to cgminer correctly"; the chip is a fixed hardware implemention so it only knows one way to talk. The code is so cgminer knows how to talk to the chip correctly - or more specifically, chips plural.

For anyone running Novak's cgminer for old Compacs, I'm going to recommend using VH's new cgminer instead because it should do the job better. Novak's was a rehash of U3 Icarus driver (and BM1382 chips), but VH's code is designed a lot more specifically for the BM1384. It'll run even a single-chip Compac more smoothly than Novak's did.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
gt_addict

Activity: 2492
Merit: 621

View Profile
December 17, 2016, 02:52:17 AM

Or just run a stratum proxy on the laptop and keep miners on their own switch. There's probably a lot of ways to do that, but it's not really necessary to discuss here.

I don't know if there'll be an update to cgminer proper, that's between vh and ck. VH's code so far compiles cgminer with --enable-gekko like Novak's, but vh's code is better. There is no code "for the chip so it talks to cgminer correctly"; the chip is a fixed hardware implemention so it only knows one way to talk. The code is so cgminer knows how to talk to the chip correctly - or more specifically, chips plural.

For anyone running Novak's cgminer for old Compacs, I'm going to recommend using VH's new cgminer instead because it should do the job better. Novak's was a rehash of U3 Icarus driver (and BM1382 chips), but VH's code is designed a lot more specifically for the BM1384. It'll run even a single-chip Compac more smoothly than Novak's did.

That is exactly what I was trying to assertain Smiley sorry for the lamens wording about the chip talking  Cheesy

I'll get a spare raspi sd card to compile the newer cgminer when it's released. Can't wait to be able to see more info such as temp etc on the BW pods.

**SUPPORT SIDEHACK** Miner Development Donations to:  1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr

Donations/Tips to:-   1GTADDicTXD1uachKKgW24DZDxDGhSMdRa

Join Bitconnect: https://bitconnect.co/?ref=gtaddict
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 2506

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
December 17, 2016, 06:27:45 PM

Something I will be interested to find out is if BFGminer will work with the 2pac. Per the author BFG is supposed to work with Antminers from the S1 up to the s5. I know its pre-built binaries for Win and 'UX works perfect with the 1-chip Compac with no special switches needed.

Link to BFGminer thread https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=877081.0

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 17, 2016, 06:34:42 PM

Luke-Jr was given a 1-chip Compac to develop around. I don't know if the 2Pac will be supported by default (under S5 compatibility) or not.

Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 18, 2016, 12:46:57 AM

My Christmas chips from Bitfury have entered the US. Expected delivery Tuesday.

I don't think I'll have time this week with a lot of manufacturing going on, but I hope to have a BM1384 pod PCB sent off for by month's end. And then I'll be for the most part in a holding pattern with manufacturing, which will get me a lot of dev and test time in January on BF16 stuff before 2Pac manufacture kicks in.

JaredKaragen
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1165

My AR-15 ID's itself as a toaster. Want breakfast?

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2016, 02:49:32 AM

Problem I have with them, is they block MAC addresses on their network, unless it's been authorized.
So unless I can somehow trick the system into thinking my miner is a laptop, no joy
But using a USB setup through my already approved laptop. All good Smiley

shh...

PM sent Wink  Your problem is very minor.... *edit* just saw the pun in this one

My Christmas chips from Bitfury have entered the US. Expected delivery Tuesday.

Soooooo excited!  I have been anxious for the BF pods.

When they are finally released, I plan to try and build up a proper sized individual solar/battery system for them =)  Power outages are rampant in my area.  This will help alleviate much of my heartache with my home miners.  My internet connection is cellular and already on a similar system.

I've always been giddy about the concept of single devices that could come close to 100w/1Th.  Unthinkable not long ago.

Link to my batch and script resources here.  

DO NOT TRUST YOBIT  -JK

Donations: 1Q8HjG8wMa3hgmDFbFHC9cADPLpm1xKHQM
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
December 18, 2016, 06:51:09 AM

*Hopes for pods in (late) January, but suspect that's a bit too ambitious*

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Jake36

Activity: 331
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 18, 2016, 05:28:48 PM

Haven't been on the board in a while and get back to see all the good stuff I've been missing.  Shocked

Definitely interested in 2 of the 2Pac for now.

The pod will have to wait for some cash (which might be in time for the Bitfury chipped ones), and hopefully get a S1/2/3 upgrade also.

Headed to the 2pac sales thread now.  Grin
AJRGale

Activity: 767
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 18, 2016, 11:22:22 PM
Last edit: December 19, 2016, 01:02:05 AM by AJRGale

Well, I think I like this idea of a loan concept, Let me give you what I have and good luck. (just got to collate all my BTC's into one account and pass it over to you)
takagari
Legendary

View Profile
December 19, 2016, 02:10:53 AM

Sidehack, the 4TH boards, what will these use from the old hardware? Mounting case and heat sinks?
I'm just wondering if these boards could be mounted easily in any casing, 4U rack maybe, or PC tower with lots of fans etc. How hard heasinks will b to find
Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 3844

View Profile
December 19, 2016, 02:37:27 AM

Sidehack, the 4TH boards, what will these use from the old hardware? Mounting case and heat sinks?
I'm just wondering if these boards could be mounted easily in any casing, 4U rack maybe, or PC tower with lots of fans etc. How hard heasinks will b to find

Before someone starts quoting this as a source, AFAIK there is no such thing as a 4Th board, but rather a 2Th board (~200W):
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1651958.msg17065895#msg17065895
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 19, 2016, 03:09:48 AM

Pretty sure this question has been answered several times (at least once recently), and when you asked a similar question earlier in a GB thread I responded there too.

takagari
Legendary

View Profile
December 19, 2016, 03:49:23 AM

Pretty sure this question has been answered several times (at least once recently), and when you asked a similar question earlier in a GB thread I responded there too.
Hadnt seen it brought up in here? Been following pretty well for a while now..

If an S3 can fit in a 4U server case then these can also. There was talk about a year, year and a half ago about trying to standardize something like that for more industrial-scale mining with swappable boards. Probably be more fitting discussion for the dev thread than a sales thread though. If I remember, I'll get some measures when I'm at the shop later.

As for bringing it up here. You said this was a betterplace for it.

I bring it up so we can all get a plan to what is needed when these launch.

As for the 4TH statement? The group buy says 4. Not 2... Seen 4 mentioned elsewhere as well.

Thanks
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 19, 2016, 04:07:22 AM

The group buy must be talking about per pair. I didn't pay attention to details, as soon as I saw it was advertising stuff I hadn't made yet I figured the whole thing was unnecessary.

I'm basing the 2TH/board estimate off 33 chips per board at about 65GH per chip. Of course that can go up or down, 65GH would just be the nominal setting for the power consumption I'm looking for.

Only the mechanical parts of the S-miners will be reused. Heatsinks, fans, et cetera. The only other parts are the hashboards (obviously not reused) and the controller (obviously not reused) and those won't be reused.

HagssFIN
Legendary

Activity: 2422
Merit: 1706

Electrical engineer. Mining since 2014.

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2016, 01:44:01 PM

As for the server rack solution, same kind of solution could be done like with the S1 boards.

My message in the canada group buy thread:
I wonder if these boards will be able to be installed into a 4U server case etc.. I realize you would need to source heat sinks, but nothing else would really be needed would it?
You could come up with this kind of solution https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=650462.20
Antminer S1's on a rack.

takagari
Legendary

View Profile
December 19, 2016, 03:27:50 PM

As for the server rack solution, same kind of solution could be done like with the S1 boards.

My message in the canada group buy thread:
I wonder if these boards will be able to be installed into a 4U server case etc.. I realize you would need to source heat sinks, but nothing else would really be needed would it?
You could come up with this kind of solution https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=650462.20
Antminer S1's on a rack.

Saw that. Be more interested in a way to do it off the shelf.
Maybe some cut rails the boards can sit in. Which could then be mounted inside anything. Hmm
takagari
Legendary

View Profile
December 19, 2016, 03:39:20 PM

I'm actually curious if an off the shelf water cooling plate or two would be able to be affixed to them.
Hmmm
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 19, 2016, 03:52:01 PM

Probably not, given that the boards are flush with the heatsink on 3 edges and the 4th has all the connectors. But the heatsinks do have tapped holes on all 4 edges, so mounting like that is an option for sure. Unless you had custom heatsinks, but then you probably couldn't use all the screw holes if the heatsinks were smaller than the boards and you could get overheating chips from poor contact around the perimeter.

If you took a flat-bottom case you should be able to mount 6 board/heatsinks in there; a bit of drilling will get you holes through which to solidly mount the heatsinks. It wouldn't hurt to put a beam across the top that's notched to stabilize the boards further. You'd probably need to tie into USB headers same as inside an S3 case, and to fit power cords you might need a board built with straight PCIe instead of right-angle, but otherwise there'd be no issue. Tuck a small hub in the corner and call it good.

If you have C1 waterblocks (and there were independent manufacturers building similar things, if I'm remembering right) these would mount right up.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 »
  Print  

Jump to: