Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 07:18:46 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 [255] 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][The Original Multipool - Scrypt/SHA256/Scrypt-N/X11] multipool.us  (Read 424128 times)
s1gs3gv
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1014

ex uno plures

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2014, 04:52:43 PM

I'm getting 504's now.  He's still obviously got issues

504 trumps 404 LOL
chup

Activity: 736
Merit: 262

Me, Myself & I

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 05:02:48 PM

Its hard to run a site like multipool, esspecially when the hashrate almost doubled in a week, i, and i think most miners can understand the difficulties.
                                                                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Now I'm confused.   Huh Suddenly hordes of "Newbies" with knowledge and hash power that outperforms couple orders of magnitude their status here making constant unnecessary pressure.  Undecided I believe that if someone tries to track down this "newbies" it will go down to the source of multipool attacks.  Lips sealed
I'm not moving away of multipool. Two days mining for the pool without payment for one year period is less than 1% donation. Flound, take Your time.  Wink

seanmartina

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 05:08:45 PM

what about the past 24 hours mining rewards they were restored to 24 hours ago, they dont seem to have appeared
djmackb

Activity: 2

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 05:14:23 PM

Smiley multipool my number one...a new pool hashbros is my number two, hashbros convert to bitcoin automatically....they need more miners..its in beta but nice interface
s1gs3gv
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1014

ex uno plures

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2014, 05:17:03 PM

I believe that if someone tries to track down this "newbies" it will go down to the source of multipool attacks.

huh ?
jogin3

Activity: 13

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 05:26:28 PM

We're back, some things are still messed up, like block times in the header.  We are aware of the issues.  About a hundred doge blocks from yesterday have not yet been scored because we are copying 60 million shares over to the new DB table.  After those shares have been copied the missing blocks will be scored and paid.

Nice news Smiley
cheezhead

Activity: 25

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 05:31:16 PM

Its hard to run a site like multipool, esspecially when the hashrate almost doubled in a week, i, and i think most miners can understand the difficulties.
                                                                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Now I'm confused.   Huh Suddenly hordes of "Newbies" with knowledge and hash power that outperforms couple orders of magnitude their status here making constant unnecessary pressure.  Undecided I believe that if someone tries to track down this "newbies" it will go down to the source of multipool attacks.  Lips sealed
I'm not moving away of multipool. Two days mining for the pool without payment for one year period is less than 1% donation. Flound, take Your time.  Wink

You're confused?  About what?  I may be a new poster here but I've been mining BTC since the old CPU days on my laptop, then with a GPU farm, now with ASICS.  Now I use my GPUs for Scrypt.  I've used (and paid for) most major pools and a lot of little ones.  I've never dealt with an admin who had a major problem then gone completely dark.  Have you?  If you think this is "normal" tell me the other major sites who behave this way.  I can't think of one (except for a few scammers).  Just because you trust him doesn't mean I should with my 80,000 outstanding coins.

As some very wise poster said, lack of communication leads to speculation.  You accusing concerned posters of causing the outage is speculative and outrageous. 

Flound should issue a short update to stop folks like you from making irresponsible speculation - 'cause you just don't know, do you?  Only Flound does and he ain't talkin' apparently......
ethereal73

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 05:34:13 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If you read the status messages on the frontend you probably noticed the cryptsy review link there. That one has its backfire to multipool. I have no idea if it are newbies or huge mining farms, doesnt mater anyway, point is that the hasharate doubled, i doubt that flound has some resources flying around any moment he needs.

There is nothing wrong with status updates.
drunkenmaster

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 05:47:36 PM

Well that post about the pool being up 2 or 3 up, I went to Multipool changed my payout for mooncoin below the 10k or so I had in there and about a minute later the mooncoin showed up in my wallet.

So as far as I'm concerned, if there was anything dodgy, I wouldn't have been able to get any coins out so I'm happy.

As someone who lost 100k doge or so on scryptpools...........  the community(and myself a little) is too panicky and too unwilling to give the benefit of the doubt. If someone is out to screw people you find out, what is the use in accusations so quickly, just because one git was out there to steal from people doesn't mean everyone is.
krileayn

Activity: 61

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 06:01:41 PM

ok we got an update on multipool website as follows

Jan 25 1:10 PM We're back, some things are still messed up, like block times in the header.  We are aware of the issues.  About a hundred doge blocks from yesterday have not yet been scored because we are copying 60 million shares over to the new DB table.  After those shares have been copied the missing blocks will be scored and paid.
MajstorFantach

Activity: 6

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 06:04:26 PM

Great! Smiley
jogin3

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 06:04:39 PM

Yes multipool is back, but i can´t still mining on EU or US DOGE pool
RandyMagnum

Activity: 662
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 06:04:48 PM

All of my miners have switched over to the backup pools, too much load on multiports causing connection difficulties?
ethereal73

Activity: 66

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 06:04:55 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You're confused?  About what?  I may be a new poster here but I've been mining BTC since the old CPU days on my laptop, then with a GPU farm, now with ASICS.  Now I use my GPUs for Scrypt.  I've used (and paid for) most major pools and a lot of little ones.  I've never dealt with an admin who had a major problem then gone completely dark.  Have you?  If you think this is "normal" tell me the other major sites who behave this way.  I can't think of one (except for a few scammers).  Just because you trust him doesn't mean I should with my 80,000 outstanding coins.

As some very wise poster said, lack of communication leads to speculation.  You accusing concerned posters of causing the outage is speculative and outrageous. 

Flound should issue a short update to stop folks like you from making irresponsible speculation - 'cause you just don't know, do you?  Only Flound does and he ain't talkin' apparently......

Most system-admins have to learn how important feedback is, esspecially when there is somekind off trouble, looks flound is a technical admin, when there are problems totally focussed on it, and forget his users.
Flound is also never too old to learn Smiley
Its funny newbies calling not so newbies  newbies beceause they are new on a forum.
Everytime it happens, it make my day Smiley

jtphenom

Activity: 110

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 06:14:54 PM

Can't connect to any ports on multipool. So site still has numerous issues to resolve.

Also, on the Help section of multipool, the option to use the freenode for multipool is USELESS for people who don't have any idea how to use freenode. You folks might want to either put instructionis on there on how exactly to connect to your freenode channel, OR make the link on your site take you directly to your channel on freenode, as other sites have done.
flound1129 (OP)

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

www.multipool.us

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 06:17:11 PM

Hey guys, I didn't forget about you guys.  I was actually in the IRC channel last night and asked people to pass along the message but apparently it didn't get out very well.

The problem was basically that I was without good internet access again for about 7-8 hours.  I was in a car with people from my "real" job for about 4 hours and then I had to go out and socialize with work people.  I was working feverishly to fix the site via my smartphone the entire time, but had to limit my time spent on the phone.

I'll be returning home later today and then it's back to "normal" support until the next time I need to travel.

What's ironic is that the root cause of all this was me trying to bring down the stales on DOGE by twiddling with the DB thresholds on the DOGE pools.  Rather than committing shares every 30 seconds, I brought that down to 10 seconds.  The old DB just could not handle 3x the number of connections and started getting behind on shares.  I didn't notice this until about 2pm the next day and that's when I finally decided to bring down the website to try to allow the DB to catch up.  But when I saw that there were over 60 million shares in the DOGE shares table, I knew that it was going to take hours and hours and I thought I could speed things up by bringing down the old DB and migrating it to a larger system.  At the time DOGE blocks could not even be scored because the queries were taking so long that they were timing out.

The provider took over 2 hours to make a snapshot of a 160GB VPS and then another 45 minutes to bring up the new db.  During the snapshot was when I posted the update that was visible on the site.   When the new DB server finally came up I was still out with my colleagues and had to wait until I got back to my hotel room to complete bringing things back up.

Right now, all 3 pools are under DDoS attack, I suppose by either people who are pissed, or competitors that want to maximize the impact of this downtime to try to get people to switch pools.

DDoS protected US-West and EU pools are coming early next week, those will be the high difficulty pools I spoke about last week.  I already have the EU server set up, just waiting till I get home to configure things.

As far as support expectations, it's all best effort.  One thing I know I did wrong was that I should have brought down the pools before I started the DB rebuild.  But I had no idea it was going to take almost 3 hours to redeploy that VPS.  If I knew that, I definitely would have brought down the pools first.  But in the grand scheme of things people should not be depending on just one pool (even if it's the awesome Multipool).

I haven't read most of the comments because they'll probably just bum me out, and get me distracted from finishing the work that's needed, which is to get all of the DOGE shares into the DB from yesterday and get all the blocks scored and paid out.  But rest assured that all the shares that were submitted will be accounted for, even shares that were submitted during the downtime.  If any shares are missing I may need to use an average over multiple blocks, but the blocks should be paid fairly in any case.

Again I apologize for this downtime, please help me make Multipool even more successful so that I can leave this "day job" and hire some more support people Smiley

Multipool - Always mine the most profitable coin - Scrypt, X11 or SHA-256!
Raskii

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 06:21:12 PM

EDITED BY Raskii:

Apparently we both posted at the same time. Looks like you're already aware of the issue and working on it!

P.S.
Downtime sucks, but your pool is awesome! Keep up the good work.
jogin3

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 06:21:29 PM

Good work, multipool is one of the best pool!!!
zeuzzz

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 06:23:16 PM

^ Nice to hear. Hopefully all will be well and good soon.

Can't connect to any ports on multipool. So site still has numerous issues to resolve.

Also, on the Help section of multipool, the option to use the freenode for multipool is USELESS for people who don't have any idea how to use freenode. You folks might want to either put instructionis on there on how exactly to connect to your freenode channel, OR make the link on your site take you directly to your channel on freenode, as other sites have done.

I have just run into the same issue, it seemed to be working briefly earlier, not sure if it's just me now but connecting to any of the multipool servers at the moment just freezes cgminer, it says 'starting cgminer' then just doesn't connect to any ports and a black screen. Connected to middlecoin for now until resolved. Would not leave multipool this easily, always been great in the past Smiley

BTC: 1DKHiG3ZAJsX9YdSb9t19WcFBzxbPBq8J8 ---- LTC: LNRwP8qqASCqbsQxsGVyYBPpFCCZJWGcg7
ejadejong

Activity: 6

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 06:25:45 PM

Bravo! Great update and good luck resolving. Will return as soon as everything is back to normal.

Hey guys, I didn't forget about you guys.  I was actually in the IRC channel last night and asked people to pass along the message but apparently it didn't get out very well.

The problem was basically that I was without good internet access again for about 7-8 hours.  I was in a car with people from my "real" job for about 4 hours and then I had to go out and socialize with work people.  I was working feverishly to fix the site via my smartphone the entire time, but had to limit my time spent on the phone.

I'll be returning home later today and then it's back to "normal" support until the next time I need to travel.

What's ironic is that the root cause of all this was me trying to bring down the stales on DOGE by twiddling with the DB thresholds on the DOGE pools.  Rather than committing shares every 30 seconds, I brought that down to 10 seconds.  The old DB just could not handle 3x the number of connections and started getting behind on shares.  I didn't notice this until about 2pm the next day and that's when I finally decided to bring down the website to try to allow the DB to catch up.  But when I saw that there were over 60 million shares in the DOGE shares table, I knew that it was going to take hours and hours and I thought I could speed things up by bringing down the old DB and migrating it to a larger system.  At the time DOGE blocks could not even be scored because the queries were taking so long that they were timing out.

The provider took over 2 hours to make a snapshot of a 160GB VPS and then another 45 minutes to bring up the new db.  During the snapshot was when I posted the update that was visible on the site.   When the new DB server finally came up I was still out with my colleagues and had to wait until I got back to my hotel room to complete bringing things back up.

Right now, all 3 pools are under DDoS attack, I suppose by either people who are pissed, or competitors that want to maximize the impact of this downtime to try to get people to switch pools.

DDoS protected US-West and EU pools are coming early next week, those will be the high difficulty pools I spoke about last week.  I already have the EU server set up, just waiting till I get home to configure things.

As far as support expectations, it's all best effort.  One thing I know I did wrong was that I should have brought down the pools before I started the DB rebuild.  But I had no idea it was going to take almost 3 hours to redeploy that VPS.  If I knew that, I definitely would have brought down the pools first.  But in the grand scheme of things people should not be depending on just one pool (even if it's the awesome Multipool).

I haven't read most of the comments because they'll probably just bum me out, and get me distracted from finishing the work that's needed, which is to get all of the DOGE shares into the DB from yesterday and get all the blocks scored and paid out.  But rest assured that all the shares that were submitted will be accounted for, even shares that were submitted during the downtime.  If any shares are missing I may need to use an average over multiple blocks, but the blocks should be paid fairly in any case.

Again I apologize for this downtime, please help me make Multipool even more successful so that I can leave this "day job" and hire some more support people Smiley
Pages: « 1 ... 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 [255] 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 »
  Print  

Jump to: