Bitcoin Forum
October 21, 2017, 10:03:27 PM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.15.0.1  [Torrent]. (New!)

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbies - Read before posting  (Read 20741 times)
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 1638

GUNBOT Licenses -10% with ref. code 'GrumpyKitty'

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2016, 08:50:54 PM

Welcome to bitcointalk.org! This video goes over the basics of bitcoin, so I would suggest checking it out. Look below for more info about the forum.

Forum Tips
  • Introductory threads: If you feel the need to post an introduction thread please take the effort to write something substantial or don't bother at all. Threads and post that contain only one word/sentence such as "hello & welcome to the forum" will be removed without warning as it causes unnecessary clutter.
  • General threads: A General thread will contain relevant information related to the question/subject of the title. Duplicate threads related to this question/subject are not allowed, so please refrain from creating them. General threads are supposed to be informational and reposting similar information multiple times is not allowed.
  • Watch list: theymos (the forum admin) explains how to use Watchlist. This feature makes it easy to keep track of threads you have posted in.
  • Trust list: Read up on the trust system in this thread. It is also suggested to read: Trust Vocabulary. If you have questions about it, ask them over here.
  • Forum rules: For all forum rules checkout this thread: Unofficial list of (official) Bitcointalk.org rules, guidelines, FAQ
  • Reports: If you notice someone breaking the rules, please use the 'report to moderator' feature found on the right side of their post. Alternatively, you could contact one of the moderators directly.

Other important information

More detailed information

I cannot post images?
Pictures posted by Newbies with the [img]-tag are displayed as links because of previous incidents with spammers and trolls. See this thread for more information: Images in posts disabled for newbies. Example:

Code:
[img]www.example.com[/img]

Why can't I change my avatar?
Only Full Members and up are allowed to wear avatars. It must be no more than 120px wide, 80px tall, and 100 KiB in size. It must be a PNG, GIF, or JPEG image. It must be safe for work.

For more information why this restriction exists, please checkout this thread: About the recent attack and Avatars re-enabled

What forum account levels are there?
There are multiple account levels on this forum, here is a quick list for all of them and how to get them:
  • 0 Posts: Brand New
  • 1 Activity: Newbie
  • 30 Activity: Jr. Member
  • 60 Activity: Member
  • 120 Activity: Full Member
  • 240 Activity: Sr. Member
  • 480 Activity: Hero Member
  • 775-1030 Activity (random): Legendary

For more information, checkout this thread: Forum ranks/positions/badges

What signature restrictions are there?
There are restrictions on signatures, based on your activity/rank.

- Newbie: No styling (including links) allowed. Max 50 characters.
- Jr. Member: Links allowed. Max 150 characters.
- Member: Unlimited length.
- Full: Color allowed.
- Sr. Member: Size allowed
- Hero: Background color allowed

What are the badges some people have?
There are some badges that a member can earn on this forum.

I added a system of badges to SMF a while ago, though only two are defined now. Here are the current badges:

Bitcoin expertDev&Tech only. People with this badge know enough about the Bitcoin network to reimplement something very like it from scratch. They are capable of intelligently discussing the Bitcoin network: current protocol, possible attacks, proposed changes, etc. Criteria: Recommendation by an existing Bitcoin expert or core dev and approval by a forum administrator.
Bitcoin-Qt core developer Dev&Tech only. These are the core developers of Satoshi's Bitcoin client. They are listed here. Core developers are among the top contributors to Bitcoin-Qt, and they are all bitcoin experts, though they don't also get that badge.
The Glider(hacker symbol) Awarded for people who have responsibly disclosed forum security flaws.

A core dev does not "outrank" a bitcoin expert (or vice-versa), and it's possible for someone without a badge to contribute meaningfully to a discussion with experts and core devs.

I cannot send multiple PMs?
There is a limit on how many PMs you can send based on your activity.

I've adjusted the limits to make spamming more difficult.

Activity   Min. seconds between post actions   Max PM recipients   PMs per hour

How long do I need to wait between forum posts?
Waiting time between forum posts is calculated with the following formula:
Code:
waittime = 360;
if(activity >= 15)
        waittime = (int)(90 - activity);
if(activity >= 60)
        waittime=(int)(34.7586 - (0.0793103 * activity));
if(activity >= 100)
        waittime = max((int)(14-(activity/50)), 4);

How is forum activity calculated?
Activity is calculated with the following formula:
Code:
activity = min(time * 14, posts)

Activity is increased by staying logged in or by posting and is updated every 30 minutes. There is a maximum of 14 activity points every 2 weeks.

We would like to credit everyone who has been linked inside this thread. Thanks a lot for the hard work. If you see any mistakes or have a suggestion, please message me or Mitchell and we will look into it.

▄█████▄
        ▄█████████▄
      ▄████▀   ▀████▄
    ▄████▀   ▄ ▄█▀████▄
  ▄████▀   ▄███▀   ▀████▄
▄████▀   ▄███▀   ▄   ▀████▄
█████   ███▀   ▄███   █████
▀████▄   ▀██▄▄███▀   ▄████▀
  ▀████▄   ▀███▀   ▄████▀
    ▀████▄       ▄████▀
      ▀████▄   ▄████▀
        ▀███  ████▀