Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 01:58:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] CoinMap 2.0! (Map showing places where Bitcoin is accepted)  (Read 108043 times)
stick (OP)

Activity: 441
Merit: 266

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 12:10:38 AM

The plan is to programmatically push all this locations to Coinmap!

Good news, but please make sure you read the whole thread about OpenStreetMap Bitcoin spamming - https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2013-December/068735.html - we have to find common ground there ... That, of course, applies to all CoinMap contributors, not just folks from CoinKite.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
melacs

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 09:18:43 AM

Useful website! Keep up the good work.

It might be cool if someone did a blog and visited the places listed. I'm sure it would be popular as well as useful in weeding out the places that are not really accepting coins.
Stemby
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1008

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 01:34:48 PM

please make sure you read the whole thread about OpenStreetMap Bitcoin spamming - https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2013-December/068735.html
Please, don't use note=* for promoting your business. You could use description=* (viewable in CoinMap) instead, but please don't spam.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:description

Thank you!

P.S.
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2013-December/068740.html

We should provide a better video.

“…virtual currencies, could have a substitution effect on central bank money if they become widely accepted.”
ECB Report, October 2012
stick (OP)

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 02:17:16 PM

We should provide a better video.

I'm currently changing a lot of stuff on the site (mostly under the hood - altcoin support, etc.). So it would be better to wait a little before creating a video. Also I think a series of screenshot might be better (and easier to edit if needed) ...

Stemby
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1008

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 03:06:51 PM

I think a series of screenshot might be better (and easier to edit if needed) ...
Ok, I agree.

Thank you!

“…virtual currencies, could have a substitution effect on central bank money if they become widely accepted.”
ECB Report, October 2012
stick (OP)

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 03:08:25 PM

Deployed a new version of CoinMap. Lots has been changed under the hood - feel free to report any bugs you find here: https://github.com/prusnak/coinmap/issues

merv77

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

1.21 GIGA WATTS

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 03:21:11 PM

hi stick,
you're probably aware that there are 0 places on the map, yesterday there was I think over 1400.
was pretty cool, and I'm sure will be soon again Smiley
stick (OP)

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 04:16:57 PM

Press F5 or Ctrl+F5.

merv77

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

1.21 GIGA WATTS

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 04:25:06 PM

Press F5 or Ctrl+F5.
thanks,
F5 worked perfectly, my apologies I didn't think of trying it before posting.
great work, love it.
findftp
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1006

Delusional crypto obsessionist

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 11:23:44 AM

It would be nice to have some sort of rating possibility to each vendor on the map, or a field to add some comment.
I, for example, ate at a restaurant (http://www.eethuisdezon.nl/) which did not have a really advanced payment method (just a QR code from his personal wallet) and therefor I paid too much bitcoins compared with the euro price.
But since I was his first customer doing it, it felt special and I did not really bother to pay for his future pension since I already tenfold my initial. The food was excellent by the way.

Funny how he kept asking me all sort of things about bitcoin each time he passed me to bring food to other customers :-)

It also would be nice to have a possibilty to make a link to the location of a vendor on coinmap. By doing this, I can point other people to the coinmap location instead of the vedor's own webaddress.

davidgdg

Activity: 551
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 01:13:48 PM

Hi

I see that you are now including litecoin on the map? Does the "total number of places" figure include the litecoin number?

The reason why I ask is because I have been keeping a record of the bitcoin total figure over the last few weeks and I don't want to include litecoin.

Thanks

"There is only one thing that is seriously morally wrong with the world, and that is politics. By 'politics' I mean all that, and only what, involves the State." Jan Lester "Escape from Leviathan"
stick (OP)

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 02:10:32 PM

The reason why I ask is because I have been keeping a record of the bitcoin total figure over the last few weeks and I don't want to include litecoin.

Yes it did. I just split the numbers into two separate fields.

dillpicklechips

Activity: 994
Merit: 507

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 04:25:59 PM

Yes it did. I just split the numbers into two separate fields.
I can't believe that you of all people are using your site to promote Litecoin! As many people go there to add Bitcoin they will get their first exposure to Litecoin. And since it is easy to add Litecoin after doing the infrastructure for Bitcoin it's a no brainer to add Litecoin as well. Now Litecoin can grow and devalue Bitcoin. I personally would have preferred a separate website but whatever it's your site, I'm just sad you don't see how helping Litecoin is actually going to hurt Bitcoin.
adormo

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2013, 04:40:55 PM

Is there a guideline to what kind of POIs can be added?
I read the " Long tail challenges - was: Re: Bitcoin Spam" thread and it's not clear whether e.g. the tourist apartments I am adding are legitimate.

These are:
- brick and mortar apartments in the exact location on the map.
- you can book them paying with bitcoin only online, in my website. If you go to the apartment you won't find a reception, as it's not a hotel, but the apartment is definitely in that exact location and definitely bookable.
I think it adds value to the map in the sense that if you look for a place to stay in e.g. Prague, and want to pay with Bitcoins, you can find it in CoinMap and book it immediately, with Bitcoins.
These POIs are accepted in Google Maps as they are legitimate businesses.

Before risking to spam CoinMap or OSM, which of course I don't think I am doing, I prefer to ask.
stick (OP)

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 05:01:56 PM

Before risking to spam CoinMap or OSM, which of course I don't think I am doing, I prefer to ask.

It should be OK from your description.

FTWbitcoinFTW

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 05:12:16 PM

I showed the map yesterday to a friend  and he had a nice idea.
He ask me if it's possible to make a gif with the progression from 1 locations till now ?

Lost coins only make everyone else's coins worth slightly more. Think of it as a donation to everyone.
it has lots of buttery taste..
ThePurplePlanet

Activity: 144
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 06:24:56 AM

I can't believe that you of all people are using your site to promote Litecoin! As many people go there to add Bitcoin they will get their first exposure to Litecoin. And since it is easy to add Litecoin after doing the infrastructure for Bitcoin it's a no brainer to add Litecoin as well. Now Litecoin can grow and devalue Bitcoin. I personally would have preferred a separate website but whatever it's your site, I'm just sad you don't see how helping Litecoin is actually going to hurt Bitcoin.

Hey a newbie here. I am disgusted by the greed of the bitcoin community. So your goal now that bitcoin goes mainstream to find another coin to dump on people? You are greedy and need to self destruct. Where this will end? The community selling their ideals like that is not a good thing. http://www.reddit.com/r/LitecoinProjects/comments/1s7ifh/completed_bounties/. So bitcoin you think will have a slower rate of increase... lets inflate to make more money. Thats the way you think?
Ecurb123

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 09:13:17 AM

I can't believe this is the first time I've seen this! Thanks for posting!
amincd

Activity: 772
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 06:00:39 PM

I wish a Bitcoin copycat wasn't added..

Hey a newbie here. I am disgusted by the greed of the bitcoin community. So your goal now that bitcoin goes mainstream to find another coin to dump on people? You are greedy and need to self destruct. Where this will end? The community selling their ideals like that is not a good thing. http://www.reddit.com/r/LitecoinProjects/comments/1s7ifh/completed_bounties/. So bitcoin you think will have a slower rate of increase... lets inflate to make more money. Thats the way you think?

If someone's greedy, they would just buy into every new coin that comes along, to position themselves as 'early adopters' in case the new blockchain takes off.

The reason why people don't like copycats is that they diminish the digital scarcity of Bitcoin-based currency. If a Bitcoin 2 is created with 4 times as many coins, and almost every other feature the same, its coins will be interchangeable with the coins in the Bitcoin blockchain to the degree that they are accepted, and that will lead to devaluation/inflation of bitcoins, and with it, a loss of Bitcoin's usefulness as a store of value.
stick (OP)

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 12:36:16 AM

I just merged a patch from komachi that adds localization support.

Feel free to fix the German translation or add new ones to lang folder via email or pull Github requests. Thanks!

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 »
  Print  

Jump to: