Bitcoin Forum
July 07, 2024, 03:14:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Data Center Mining Garage and Man Mining Cave  (Read 49386 times)
yun9999 (OP)

Activity: 414
Merit: 251

View Profile
February 14, 2017, 01:23:52 PM

Great way to end the night...............Uncle visited again.

Hey Yun, are you nhando? Why did you stop using that handle?

Yes, many of you will know my old nick as nhando and may be very familiar with me if you've mined on Kano.is pool.  My account was hacked and admin never did anything to fixed it even with Phillipma verifying my old transactions etc so I have to take over my friend's account which is this yun9999 due to laziness.  So yeah, I've been thru the many ups and down of Crypto not just some excited new guy who just started.  =)
citronick
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1080

---- winter*juvia -----

View Profile
February 14, 2017, 01:32:09 PM

Yes, many of you will know my old nick as nhando and may be very familiar with me if you've mined on Kano.is pool.  My account was hacked and admin never did anything to fixed it even with Phillipma verifying my old transactions etc so I have to take over my friend's account which is this yun9999 due to laziness.  So yeah, I've been thru the many ups and down of Crypto not just some excited new guy who just started.  =)

hacked? I thought kano run that site like a tight ship.

If I provided you good and useful info or just a smile to your day, consider sending me merit points to further validate this Bitcointalk account ~ useful for future account recovery...
yun9999 (OP)

View Profile
February 14, 2017, 01:55:12 PM
Last edit: February 14, 2017, 02:10:03 PM by yun9999

Thanks for your post, I am very happy to see this installation. I built wooden rigs with cables everywhere and not clean.
I will be able to draw on these experiences to increase my material and hashrate.

I am very impressed by the psu server I definitely need it and some pdu Smiley

Trust me, it wasn't always pretty.  I also started with wooden rig due to cost. When I started, I put much lower priorities on NON HASHing items as prettiness doesn't pay.  So when my friends are using Spotswood frames, I made my own cheap wood frames.  When they were buying expensive $400 EVGA 1600, I was using 2 x used EVGA 1300 for half the cost.  They bought expensive gaming devices to power 4 or 5 GPU while I was working hard to figure out how to make 6 GPUs work.  I used the money saved to put 100% into more hash.   I used to use 2  EVGA 1300 for R9 390 to quickly learn that it was too expensive and there are more efficient ways.  That's when I switch to server PSU when RX480 came out and I was able to power 5 rigs with very cheap used baby PSUs that I took from old computers or bought from Amazon used section.   I must have went thru dozens of different layout, configuration, rack, rig frames, etc.  My garage have went thru hundreds of different testings of fans, funneling and changes from Bitcoin mining to GPU mining.

Embarassed to show this picture but it's a good motivation to others, that I am just like everyone else and eventually "YOUR" setup can be sexy too once the money start rolling in.   Here's 1 Example where I wanted to change which direction my GPU is mounted as  Ref 480 uses blower style.  When you do so many changes, you get tire and don't care about pretty.  You just say, let me make it work first.  I was positive I'm going to change my mind again so prettiness was last priority.  I'm a 1 man show with 2 kids, a dog and very demanding full time job so all this stuff gets done at night mostly.  But I'm also very efficient and always try to do my best to balance life so many people don't realized the hours I put into different aspects to my daily responsibilities.

P.S if you need PDU, PSU, etc.  I have a ton of spares.  P.M me, maybe I can work out some good deals to get you started on the right path.
vapourminer
Legendary

Activity: 4382
Merit: 3714

what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?

View Profile
February 14, 2017, 01:56:49 PM

yes it is easy.  it is not prefect as it prevents surges  passing through the panel into your home but the surge started in your home it does not help.

outside >>>   panel >> whole house protection >>>>>>   all wire in the home

So  if some how  you do something wrong in the home no protection   since the surge is on the unprotected side .

a really big UPS  in side your home that fails  can do this.

how would the ups malfunction in such a way as to put a surge on the house AC line?

btw i have a square d whole house surge suppressor.
yun9999 (OP)

View Profile
February 14, 2017, 01:57:12 PM

Yes, many of you will know my old nick as nhando and may be very familiar with me if you've mined on Kano.is pool.  My account was hacked and admin never did anything to fixed it even with Phillipma verifying my old transactions etc so I have to take over my friend's account which is this yun9999 due to laziness.  So yeah, I've been thru the many ups and down of Crypto not just some excited new guy who just started.  =)

For bitcointalk not Kano.is.  Kano would have fixed my account in a heart beat if my account was hacked as I have 3 of the largest hashing account on his pool.  We did  helped turn that once tiny pool into a sizeable one with my partners Mega Hashes along while recruiting others.  We were often over 50% of the total pool hashing power.  Those were fun Comrades days waiting on Blocks and sacrificing Chickens.
dudutti

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2017, 02:08:23 PM
Last edit: February 14, 2017, 02:21:22 PM by dudutti

Thanks for your post, I am very happy to see this installation. I built wooden rigs with cables everywhere and not clean.
I will be able to draw on these experiences to increase my material and hashrate.

I am very impressed by the psu server I definitely need it and some pdu Smiley

Trust me, it wasn't always pretty.  I also started with wooden rig due to cost. When I started, I put much lower priorities on NON HASHing items, prettiness doesn't pay.  So when my friends are using Spotswood frames, I made my own cheap wood frames.  When they were buying expensive $400 EVGA 1600, I was using 2 x used EVGA 1300 for half the cost.  They bought expensive gaming devices to power 4 or 5 GPU while I was working hard to figure out how to make 6 GPUs work.  I used the money saved to put 100% into more hash.   I used to use 2  EVGA 1300 for R9 390 to quickly learn that it was too expensive and there are more efficient ways.  That's when I switch to server PSU when RX480 came out and I was able to power 5 rigs with very cheap used baby PSUs that I took from old computers or bought from Amazon used section.   I must have went thru dozens of different layout, configuration, rack, rig frames, etc.  My garage have went thru hundreds of different testings of fans, funneling and changes from Bitcoin mining to GPU mining.

Excellent, I am exactly at this point of my reflection for my installation.
Your experience feedback is invaluable to me Smiley

This is my messy rig

WestonParish

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 14, 2017, 02:25:08 PM

@yun9999 This is amazing, you have a fantastical setup and it is extremely inspirational! I am getting the parts for my first rig this week and I am super excited to get going on it.
citronick
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1080

---- winter*juvia -----

View Profile
February 14, 2017, 02:26:24 PM

Yes, many of you will know my old nick as nhando and may be very familiar with me if you've mined on Kano.is pool.  My account was hacked and admin never did anything to fixed it even with Phillipma verifying my old transactions etc so I have to take over my friend's account which is this yun9999 due to laziness.  So yeah, I've been thru the many ups and down of Crypto not just some excited new guy who just started.  =)

For bitcointalk not Kano.is.  Kano would have fixed my account in a heart beat if my account was hacked as I have 3 of the largest hashing account on his pool.  We did  helped turn that once tiny pool into a sizeable one with my partners Mega Hashes along while recruiting others.  We were often over 50% of the total pool hashing power.  Those were fun Comrades days waiting on Blocks and sacrificing Chickens.

Ahh I see.

Yea .. those were the days -- those chicken sacrifices and my Juvia lucky charm.

My 2.2PHs is pointed elsewhere now for many different reasons but bottom line it's doing well and thats all that matter to me and my group.

Hey we are going off topic here... LOL... no BTC talk... let's continue to enrich our GPU experience.

I moved my rigs to ZEC and ETH in the past few days because XMR, as much as I love mining that coin.... best power consumption hands down; it will not pay the bills, if Claymore doesn't spend time improving it.

Since the profitability ZEC lowest among the 3 coins (ETH, XMR, ZEC), I have moved my RX480s to mine ETH and get the rest non RX, Nano and 390s to mine ZEC, using Claymore's latest v12. The speed bump on ZEC hopefully will compensate the profitability drop. I am so glad I didn't get rid of my Nanos and 390s - these Fiji and Hawaii cards rocks with v12 and Optiminer v1.6.2

If I provided you good and useful info or just a smile to your day, consider sending me merit points to further validate this Bitcointalk account ~ useful for future account recovery...
thedue

Activity: 662
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 14, 2017, 02:34:54 PM

Right! Still mining XMR because of the higher energy price I´m paying regarding to most of you.

So all my RX470 rigs are working with strap mod only. Is there any tip (bios) on saving some energy besides downclocking the core? (since undervolting is not working for SMos)

I´m using the RX470 Powercolor Red Devil 4GB since I was getting them cheap + dual bios + I do like the look  Wink
So far I couldn´t find a custom bios and getting one build for me is to expensive for my few rigs only.
m1n1ngP4d4w4n

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

CryptoLearner

View Profile
February 14, 2017, 03:27:31 PM

Take a look @ the zcoin (ZXC) i dunno if it's the same as the nvidia card, but this algo is super super low power consumption (@60% tdp with zcash i use 830w, same with zcoin is 540w) and the profit is pretty good !

there is a custom sg miner to mine it by djm

https://github.com/djm34/sgminer-msvc2015/releases

tell me how that goes.
thedue

Activity: 662
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 14, 2017, 03:47:34 PM

Take a look @ the zcoin (ZXC) i dunno if it's the same as the nvidia card, but this algo is super super low power consumption (@60% tdp with zcash i use 830w, same with zcoin is 540w) and the profit is pretty good !

tell me how that goes.

Thanks but nah... I´ll stick with XMR  Wink
Zcoin network is unstable, not useful for AMD etc etc..

Just wanted to know if anyone has a ROM for my kind of RX470 or is able to give me a hint on saving power by changing options in the bios (TDP etc..)
m1n1ngP4d4w4n

CryptoLearner

View Profile
February 14, 2017, 03:58:13 PM

tell me how that goes.

Thanks but nah... I´ll stick with XMR  Wink
Zcoin network is unstable, not useful for AMD etc etc..

Just wanted to know if anyone has a ROM for my kind of RX470 or is able to give me a hint on saving power by changing options in the bios (TDP etc..)

Ok just wanted to know if it was good or not with AMD.
yun9999 (OP)

View Profile
February 14, 2017, 07:24:22 PM

@m1n1ngP4d4w4n - What is the best mining software for NVIDIA for ZEC today?  Have you tried Simplemining.net OS for it?  They allow Claymore and Optimer for ZEC but not sure if there's any compatibility issues.  

@TheDue - Straps are as good as you can get right now for 470s for free.  The performance will depend on your memory type and ASIC quality to determine how high it can be overclocked.   The only way to get power savings is by down clocking or undervolting, no other way for 470 even with ROMs as they just bake that into it.  

@dudutti - That's actually a pretty decent setup.  Great start.  I like the small 3 tier wood rack.  

There is a Tornado and Storm warning with up to 1-4 inches of rain for Houston today.  

I have 2 options :

1) Shut everything down and unplugged power to reduce risk at the cost of not gathering valuable data on how it will weather the storm and humidity before Summer
or

2) Risk it to learn more on resiliency for future storms / excess humidity.  ......................

I am choosing "Let's ROLL that Dice, need to see how well Shed will handle the natural Elements............................... especially the excessed humidity part to see how it will withstand Houston Humidity and constant flash floods.  Currently there are 19 rigs running in the shed happily.   More pictures to follow..............
deadsix

Activity: 751
Merit: 517

Fail to plan, and you plan to fail.

View Profile
February 14, 2017, 07:50:08 PM

Yeah I remember seeing the  nhando handle a lot back when RX 480's hit. If you've been around in the forums you kinda spot the regulars and ol timers who've been there done that Smiley
Actually was kinda surprised how someone with such an elaborate setup flew under the radar, I had never heard of yun9999 untill this thread and was blown away by this newcomer Cheesy
Finskey's reply addressing you as nhando made me think yeah that makes a lot of sense, he has to be an ol timer Cheesy
Cheers, and best of luck for the upcoming storm.

Ethereum/Zcash/Monero Mining Bangalore https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1703592
m1n1ngP4d4w4n

CryptoLearner

View Profile
February 14, 2017, 08:29:06 PM

@m1n1ngP4d4w4n - What is the best mining software for NVIDIA for ZEC today?  Have you tried Simplemining.net OS for it?  They allow Claymore and Optimer for ZEC but not sure if there's any compatibility issues.  

Hey friend, best miner for Equihash algo / ZEC/ZCL is EWBF (cuda miner), simplemining look cool but it's completly AMD friendly, there is no nvidia support. Claymore & optiminer would not work on nvidia because they're openCL AMD miners.
yun9999 (OP)

View Profile
February 14, 2017, 08:31:57 PM

@deadsix - Thanks.  I'm sure many assumed I'm just some excited guy new to Crypto who's probably getting in over my head, hence all the ROI warnings, etc.  

This Storm coming has made me decided it's probably a smart idea to invest in some whole house Surge protectors like what Phillip recommended.  My setup requires 3 of them so the cost is tripled.  That being said, I've decided on the Eaton Ultra.  All 3 together after discounts cost about 2 Leviton while having some really solid warranties and strongly recommended by my Electrician.

Eaton 109420 Ultra Surge Protection 3Rd Edition

ULTRA  

•        20 kA (In) Nominal Discharge Current  
•        108 kA Surge Current Capacity per phase rating  
•        *$75,000 warranty  
•        Limited lifetime product warranty

m1n1ngP4d4w4n

CryptoLearner

View Profile
February 14, 2017, 08:38:27 PM

@deadsix - Thanks.  I'm sure many assumed I'm just some excited guy new to Crypto who's probably getting in over my head, hence all the ROI warnings, etc.  

This Storm coming has made me decided it's probably a smart idea to invest in some whole house Surge protectors like what Phillip recommended.  My setup requires 3 of them so the cost is tripled.  That being said, I've decided on the Eaton Ultra.  All 3 together after discounts cost about 2 Leviton while having some really solid warranties and strongly recommended by my Electrician.

Eaton 109420 Ultra Surge Protection 3Rd Edition

ULTRA  

•        20 kA (In) Nominal Discharge Current  
•        108 kA Surge Current Capacity per phase rating  
•        *$75,000 warranty  
•        Limited lifetime product warranty

I use something along the same line as this, but it's an APC model, also don't forget to also protect the data lines like phone & ethernet, alot of people forget about this, but it can wreck your install very fast too !

Leviton brand is extremely good too, im more partial to Eaton, i tried their UPS, they're of a lesser quality than APC or Leviton and with less money warranty on hardware.
yun9999 (OP)

View Profile
February 14, 2017, 08:47:18 PM

I have a surge protector for my Router(s) cable and cable modem as well as a UPS for them.  I don't use home phone.  However GPU farms needs protection.  Like most typical person, when I think of surge protection I think Surge power strips which is very uncommon for 240V in America.  Never thought about whole house units as I have zero experience with that.   Happy Phil brought it up and hope that I would never need to really "use it". 
m1n1ngP4d4w4n

CryptoLearner

View Profile
February 14, 2017, 08:58:49 PM

I have a surge protector for my Router(s) cable and cable modem as well as a UPS for them.  I don't use home phone.  However GPU farms needs protection.  Like most typical person, when I think of surge protection I think Surge power strips which is very uncommon for 240V in America.  Never thought about whole house units as I have zero experience with that.   Happy Phil brought it up and hope that I would never need to really "use it". 

Well power strip is as effective, but for large install it's much better to do with a big frontend unit, phil was of good advice as usual Smiley, i'm actually surprised the guys that made the electrical installation @ your home didn't tried to sell one to you Smiley
philipma1957
Legendary

Activity: 4172
Merit: 8094

'The right to privacy matters'

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2017, 09:03:42 PM

yes it is easy.  it is not prefect as it prevents surges  passing through the panel into your home but the surge started in your home it does not help.

outside >>>   panel >> whole house protection >>>>>>   all wire in the home

So  if some how  you do something wrong in the home no protection   since the surge is on the unprotected side .

a really big UPS  in side your home that fails  can do this.

how would the ups malfunction in such a way as to put a surge on the house AC line?

btw i have a square d whole house surge suppressor.

would not do that.

whole house surge------
house panel ---
twenty lines or 30 lines or 40 lines
1)
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7) lets  say ups is here ------ your modem ---- your gigabyte switch
Cool
9)
10)

ups fails and send out high volts to the modem and your gigabyte switch  very rare.

my home is whole house surge ----   panel ---

32 circuits.

1 circuit  for modem and gigabyte switch

and that circuit has
  surge protector -----
voltage regulator -----
 surge protector -----
 modem and gigabyte switch.

also cable comes into house  it has 2 ground shunts  out side house.

finally last defense is a spark arrestor at the modem

all low cost items if you have cable and coax cables which would carry a lightning surge
this will protect your modem in house
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002KR7EK?

this will help your home on the outside

https://www.amazon.com/TII-Broadband-Cable-Lightning-Protector/dp/B0016AIYU6/ref=sr_1_1?

if you have cable into your home   and run tons of gear like we do have both of these above.

use outside ground some 10 ga copper and attach to this
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/DISTRIBUTED-BY-MCM-500299-/33-10810

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀