May 14, 2024, 07:53:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 16483 16484 16485 16486 16487 16488 16489 16490 16491 16492 16493 16494 16495 16496 16497 16498 16499 16500 16501 16502 16503 16504 16505 16506 16507 16508 16509 16510 16511 16512 16513 16514 16515 16516 16517 16518 16519 16520 16521 16522 16523 16524 16525 16526 16527 16528 16529 16530 16531 16532 [16533] 16534 16535 16536 16537 16538 16539 16540 16541 16542 16543 16544 16545 16546 16547 16548 16549 16550 16551 16552 16553 16554 16555 16556 16557 16558 16559 16560 16561 16562 16563 16564 16565 16566 16567 16568 16569 16570 16571 16572 16573 16574 16575 16576 16577 16578 16579 16580 16581 16582 16583 ... 33348 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26382930 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
kurious
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 1643

View Profile
March 14, 2017, 03:45:49 PM

Alt coins coming back down and bitcoin price increasing, what a surprise.

More like the other way around - BTC went up over 1250 first and the ones I was watching moved inversely.

But you're right - all Alts are BTC dependent in some respect. Most are priced (effectively) in BTC.

Whether BTC will go up further from here on in is what I am waiting to see. I really didn't expect to be over 1250 just two working days after the ETF rejection.   BTC never ceases to surprise me. 

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
soullyG

Activity: 1011
Merit: 721

Decentralize everything

View Profile
March 14, 2017, 03:47:47 PM

test

hello, world
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
March 14, 2017, 03:49:56 PM

Shouldn't miners act always in what is better for higher Bitcoin price (higher rewards for them)? Or is it that for some unexplained reason they think the price would react otherwise?

It's really quite simple. And actually quite obvious. If you lift a stupid production quota that artificially hard-caps the number of transactions Bitcoin is capable of to about a quarter-million per day, then more people can each make more transactions. This is by definition greater utility. Greater utility leads to greater value, and greater value leads to greater price. All boats are floated.
Johnny00

Activity: 896
Merit: 553

View Profile
March 14, 2017, 03:59:08 PM

Alt coins coming back down and bitcoin price increasing, what a surprise.

More like the other way around - BTC went up over 1250 first and the ones I was watching moved inversely.

But you're right - all Alts are BTC dependent in some respect. Most are priced (effectively) in BTC.

Whether BTC will go up further from here on in is what I am waiting to see. I really didn't expect to be over 1250 just two working days after the ETF rejection.   BTC never ceases to surprise me. 

yes just crazy, people sold hoping it crashed now they are out of luck trying to buy back in. I expect it to be stable. Just goes to show you not to day trade. Find value and buy it and hold it.
JimboToronto
Legendary

Activity: 4004
Merit: 4493

You're never too old to think young.

View Profile
March 14, 2017, 05:24:29 PM

A slightly late good morning Bitcoinland.

Still creeping upward I see... currently $1252USD (Bitcoinaverage).

Gotta love the slow steady growth. The last day on which we had a red candle was also a day on which we had an ATH.

Is it safe to say that 3 digits are a thing of the past, barring some unforeseen, serious calamity?

If last week's ETF rejection couldn't take it below $1000 for more than a few seconds, I don't see any minor market movements doing it.

Slow and steady, go Bitcoin go.
bitserve
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1464

Self made HODLER ✓

View Profile
March 14, 2017, 05:37:15 PM

Shouldn't miners act always in what is better for higher Bitcoin price (higher rewards for them)? Or is it that for some unexplained reason they think the price would react otherwise?

It's really quite simple. And actually quite obvious. If you lift a stupid production quota that artificially hard-caps the number of transactions Bitcoin is capable of to about a quarter-million per day, then more people can each make more transactions. This is by definition greater utility. Greater utility leads to greater value, and greater value leads to greater price. All boats are floated.

I think that everyone agrees that the transaction limit need to grow. And that, if alone, would be a good thing for the price.
I really don't care if that is achieved by segwit+LN, BU or whatever... But I do care that if it is done without an almost unanimous consensus trust and confidence could be irreparably damaged, and that leads to reduced value/reduced price.
HI-TEC99
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 2846

View Profile
March 14, 2017, 06:04:06 PM

Normally, raising interest rates makes a currency stronger.

Yes, hence pulling money out of other asset classes like stocks and arguably bitcoin, all things being equal. I doubt there's much of an effect for bitcoin, if any, but if there was it would be in that direction.

If people's savings can keep pace with inflation (which is also usually held back by high rates) by normal deposit account savings, then why risk it in shares?

Stocks are more popular when money is cheap, but saving doesn't pay much as investors are desperate to get returns that low bank rates will not supply.

Low rates encourage higher risk savings to look more appealing, so higher rates (ordinarily) should discourage riskier investments - such as (arguably) Bitcoin.

This is of course classical economic theory - and often money markets, savers, investors and borrowers don't know enough about the theory to do what it says they should Wink

I thought this was exactly my point! Falling stock prices would generally correlate with a fall in bitcoin, under this theory. In practice I doubt bitcoin traders are a large enough and homogenous enough group for that to hold true.

I wasn't really disagreeing with you, just saying what interest rate rises would normally be expected to do to economic activity in different asset classes.  I was 'elaborating' as Lauda asked..

To be honest Honey Badger has been looking such a good buy of late - stock market falls may bring more money into BTC - I mean, we just went over 1250 - so economic theory ain't much help. 

Let's face it, we cannot recall too many economists predicting the banking crash, can we - on the other hand Satoshi's white paper was timed just right for it.

Bitcoin is perhaps more likely to behave as a commodity, more like gold.  Gold (in theory) should go down as federal bonds etc pay more - so there is an opportunity cost to holding an asset that pays no interest.

However the last four recorded Fed interest rate hikes have seen gold go up, not down.

So theories are meaningless!

I read that the Yuan and other currencies will crash against the dollar after the FED raises the rate. Wouldn't a crashing Yuan start the Chinese buying Bitcoin again? Although their exchanges froze withdrawals they are now trading in huge quantities on localbitcoins.
BTCtrader71

Activity: 784
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 14, 2017, 06:08:33 PM

I think that everyone agrees that the transaction limit need to grow. And that, if alone, would be a good thing for the price.
I really don't care if that is achieved by segwit+LN, BU or whatever... But I do care that if it is done without an almost unanimous consensus trust and confidence could be irreparably damaged, and that leads to reduced value/reduced price.

If lack of near unanimous consensus on a major decision is enough to kill bitcoin, then bitcoin was never a good idea to begin with.

Bitcoin was designed with the assumption that there will be major decisions that must be made even in the absence of near-unanimous consensus. In a way it will be good to have a contentious hard fork so we can see if bitcoin survives. Which it will, but not everyone will believe it until they see it. So better now than later.

GGALINff

Activity: 219
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 14, 2017, 06:11:07 PM

who knows something?

even with all the Hard Fork FUD,  price creeps up
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

Activity: 1638

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
March 14, 2017, 06:29:25 PM

It has been a lot time that i not monitor this thing. we don't have a voting process on that? who makes the final decision ? hard fork could f@ck bitcoin price and trust of course...  
No. There is no "voting process" in a decentralized cryptocurrency. The whole ecosystem either comes to a decision by consensus or not. You technically give your "vote" by running or adopting a specific soft fork, hard fork, or implementation.

I'd say the only vote that matters, in Bitcoin or anywhere really, is the voting that you do with your wallet.

I think some sort of voting system based on BTC holdings is sorely needed for coordinating development.
Buying and selling can only be done after a decision has been made, only brings 1d information (up or down, a little or much) and more importantly is only the net result of many different forces (macroeconomics etc.) so it will generally be hard to say the price is going up because of reason X or Y.
Paashaas
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 4358

View Profile
March 14, 2017, 06:34:20 PM

Buggy BU with a remote crash vunerability. Even after a year those ''skilled'' BU dev didn't noticed it, while pushing it asap  Shocked

JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 10248

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
March 14, 2017, 06:39:18 PM

More or less I agree with that perspective.  However, you cannot necessarily achieve what you are suggesting without some give and take in other areas, whether that is related to possible changes in governance or security or decentralization (there may be some other trade-offs too that I am not remembering at this particular moment).  

So, your simple goal of attempting to achieve greater throughput sounds good in the abstract in the event it were to be able to be achieved without any sacrifices in other areas.  There is a kind of total balance that should be considered beyond just looking at one aspect and considering it as if it were the exclusive goal.
AlexGR
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049

View Profile
March 14, 2017, 06:42:25 PM

If lack of near unanimous consensus on a major decision is enough to kill bitcoin, then bitcoin was never a good idea to begin with.

Bitcoin was designed with the assumption that there will be major decisions that must be made even in the absence of near-unanimous consensus.

Protocols, not just bitcoin, don't work in the absence of consensus. One peer expects certain behavior from another peer, and if that isn't the case, the protocol doesn't work as intended. You can't have one peer saying that the block size is X, the other saying no it is Y and the block is invalid, or that the number of coins is A and another saying no it is B trying to invalidate A.

In order for protocols to work properly, practically everyone using them has to agree on what is valid and what isn't valid behavior. If a modified http or smtp server uses messages that a client doesn't understand, a page won't work or an email won't get sent. That's what's at stake here, hence the incompatibility of the various "implementations", hence the possibility of forking in at least 3 incompatible coins (the stalled chain, a BU chain, a BTC-different algo chain). If this proceeds, then any disagreement can be used by bad actors in the future to create more and more forks, until BTC becomes a joke.

The primary issue that needs to get fixed in bitcoin is not scaling. It's removing the possibility of contentious forks through "disagreements", which represent an open attack vector against bitcoin itself.

As for the price action, it reminds me of the 400 range when the prior fork FUD was ongoing and people were like "who bought at 380, price should be at 200 or lower".
Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
March 14, 2017, 06:45:15 PM

It has been a lot time that i not monitor this thing. we don't have a voting process on that? who makes the final decision ? hard fork could f@ck bitcoin price and trust of course...  
No. There is no "voting process" in a decentralized cryptocurrency. The whole ecosystem either comes to a decision by consensus or not. You technically give your "vote" by running or adopting a specific soft fork, hard fork, or implementation.

I'd say the only vote that matters, in Bitcoin or anywhere really, is the voting that you do with your wallet.

I think some sort of voting system based on BTC holdings is sorely needed for coordinating development.
Buying and selling can only be done after a decision has been made, only brings 1d information (up or down, a little or much) and more importantly is only the net result of many different forces (macroeconomics etc.) so it will generally be hard to say the price is going up because of reason X or Y.
Nope. We don't want a new 1% to control things.
kurious
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 1643

View Profile
March 14, 2017, 06:45:44 PM

Normally, raising interest rates makes a currency stronger.

Yes, hence pulling money out of other asset classes like stocks and arguably bitcoin, all things being equal. I doubt there's much of an effect for bitcoin, if any, but if there was it would be in that direction.

If people's savings can keep pace with inflation (which is also usually held back by high rates) by normal deposit account savings, then why risk it in shares?

Stocks are more popular when money is cheap, but saving doesn't pay much as investors are desperate to get returns that low bank rates will not supply.

Low rates encourage higher risk savings to look more appealing, so higher rates (ordinarily) should discourage riskier investments - such as (arguably) Bitcoin.

This is of course classical economic theory - and often money markets, savers, investors and borrowers don't know enough about the theory to do what it says they should Wink

I thought this was exactly my point! Falling stock prices would generally correlate with a fall in bitcoin, under this theory. In practice I doubt bitcoin traders are a large enough and homogenous enough group for that to hold true.

I wasn't really disagreeing with you, just saying what interest rate rises would normally be expected to do to economic activity in different asset classes.  I was 'elaborating' as Lauda asked..

To be honest Honey Badger has been looking such a good buy of late - stock market falls may bring more money into BTC - I mean, we just went over 1250 - so economic theory ain't much help.  

Let's face it, we cannot recall too many economists predicting the banking crash, can we - on the other hand Satoshi's white paper was timed just right for it.

Bitcoin is perhaps more likely to behave as a commodity, more like gold.  Gold (in theory) should go down as federal bonds etc pay more - so there is an opportunity cost to holding an asset that pays no interest.

However the last four recorded Fed interest rate hikes have seen gold go up, not down.

So theories are meaningless!

I read that the Yuan and other currencies will crash against the dollar after the FED raises the rate. Wouldn't a crashing Yuan start the Chinese buying Bitcoin again? Although their exchanges froze withdrawals they are now trading in huge quantities on localbitcoins.

The Chinese think of their Yuan in terms of USD (at least those with money do).   So dollar up, means Yuan (relatively) is down.  Having BTC in advance of this happening (or getting it fast enough after the news gets out) is good, buying BTC afterwards is not so good as it's more expensive.

If they think the dollar will continue to rise - then it's positive for BTC, yes.  If they think their savings are not portable in Yuan, but are in BTC, the same applies.  

Speaking as a Brit who just saw his currency wipe out 20% after the Brexit vote, I can tell you that my BTC being valued in USD was a rather comforting side affect - it was a 20% bonus in a lot of my savings!

We are all connected, little moves here and there in markets sometimes have unforeseeable positive or negative consequences in other places.
Johnny00

Activity: 896
Merit: 553

View Profile
March 14, 2017, 06:47:08 PM

FOMO buying happening. wow. thought bitcoin would just settle but testing $1300 again. wow. this thing just needs some good news and will go ATH again
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
March 14, 2017, 06:48:23 PM

Then tell me how things are controlled, because it is always controlled somehow.
Also, this voting should be non-binding, just to get an accurate idea of what bitcoin holders think.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2017, 06:49:23 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETCP8NeXasY

Wink
Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
March 14, 2017, 06:50:30 PM

Then tell me how things are controlled, because it is always controlled somehow.
It's not. That's the whole point.
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
March 14, 2017, 06:52:41 PM

It's not. That's the whole point.
You mean decisions just get made randomly?
Pages: « 1 ... 16483 16484 16485 16486 16487 16488 16489 16490 16491 16492 16493 16494 16495 16496 16497 16498 16499 16500 16501 16502 16503 16504 16505 16506 16507 16508 16509 16510 16511 16512 16513 16514 16515 16516 16517 16518 16519 16520 16521 16522 16523 16524 16525 16526 16527 16528 16529 16530 16531 16532 [16533] 16534 16535 16536 16537 16538 16539 16540 16541 16542 16543 16544 16545 16546 16547 16548 16549 16550 16551 16552 16553 16554 16555 16556 16557 16558 16559 16560 16561 16562 16563 16564 16565 16566 16567 16568 16569 16570 16571 16572 16573 16574 16575 16576 16577 16578 16579 16580 16581 16582 16583 ... 33348 »
  Print  

Jump to: