April 26, 2024, 01:01:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 16938 16939 16940 16941 16942 16943 16944 16945 16946 16947 16948 16949 16950 16951 16952 16953 16954 16955 16956 16957 16958 16959 16960 16961 16962 16963 16964 16965 16966 16967 16968 16969 16970 16971 16972 16973 16974 16975 16976 16977 16978 16979 16980 16981 16982 16983 16984 16985 16986 16987 [16988] 16989 16990 16991 16992 16993 16994 16995 16996 16997 16998 16999 17000 17001 17002 17003 17004 17005 17006 17007 17008 17009 17010 17011 17012 17013 17014 17015 17016 17017 17018 17019 17020 17021 17022 17023 17024 17025 17026 17027 17028 17029 17030 17031 17032 17033 17034 17035 17036 17037 17038 ... 33302 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26368163 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
Torque
Legendary

Activity: 3542
Merit: 5039

View Profile
May 30, 2017, 07:34:20 PM
Last edit: May 30, 2017, 07:53:11 PM by Torque

Some of you guys that maybe don't have any experience in the stock markets, should go and do some research.

There are thousands of "penny stock" small cap companies out there, some of whose stocks trade for single digit dollars every day (millions of shares traded per day) that are literally bankrupt. Meaning that their outstanding debts far out way their assets, current net profits (if any), and future net profits (if any). Many of them make zero profit at all, and probably never will. And most have 90%+ of their stocks owned either by the CEO and/or their creditors, with the remaining float being tiny.

See any correlation here with the Altlandia market? I do.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
FractalUniverse

Activity: 1034
Merit: 558

View Profile
May 30, 2017, 07:38:02 PM

I think, people (currently japan) are just buying by name, bitcoin beeing number one, ethereum sounds good too, but man, satoshi picked the best name, right off the start.
ethereum doesn't sound good to me. there are much better names of altcoins out there.
but i agree that bitcoin is the best brand for foreseeable future.
pfrtlpfmpf

Activity: 420
Merit: 257

View Profile
May 30, 2017, 07:39:52 PM

I'm just sitting here watching the world get rich with alt coins. But that's none of my business.. Lips sealed

It should be !

bitserve
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1464

Self made HODLER ✓

View Profile
May 30, 2017, 08:05:07 PM

I think, people (currently japan) are just buying by name, bitcoin beeing number one, ethereum sounds good too, but man, satoshi picked the best name, right off the start.
ethereum doesn't sound good to me. there are much better names of altcoins out there.

Dash sounds to me like a very good name from a marketing view. Never owned one myself though... neither I plan to.

Ripple, on the other hand, is an awlful name. It sounds like "Rip off". I have been "Rippled".... you know... But i am not english native so maybe I am totally wrong on MY perception.

I don't think most people is "investing" on the names. They just follow the trend and while it is giving paper book profits they go on... until a good portion of them start trying to take profits from it and the price plunges.
bitebits
Legendary

Activity: 2211
Merit: 3178

Flippin' burgers since 1163.

View Profile
May 30, 2017, 08:10:49 PM

[...] For some of my bitcoins I recently purchased some crypto-steel and stored some bitcoins on those. I just moved from Afghanistan to Korea spending a few weeks in Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam and French Polynesia. By moving, that meant bringing my crypto-steel with me (not trusting it to some post office). So here I am traveling with these metal squares through various security. I spent about 15 minutes in Dubai trying to explain my crypto-steel to security (I had them wrapped in metalic tape to ensure nobody tampered with them). I finally had to unwrap one enough to show what was inside (I also had full chemical gear so that was part of the inquisition as well....long story). I ended up checking my bag in with the crypto-steel from there on out and was paranoid every minute that they were not in my possession. Every hotel I went to had to have a safe. I ended up in one hotel without a safe and I only left briefly to eat. I ended up using a bus instead of going on airplanes when I traveled due to the difficulty. Flying from Vietnam to French Polynesia I decided to keep the crypto-steel with me to avoid the worry I had before. I had to explain to a Vietnamese security guard what they were, I used pictures on my phone and was ok after 5 minutes (I was surprised when he said "oh, Bitcoin!").
[...]

Thanks for sharing your experience Elwar. Had a similar one explaining a few Casascius coins.

I am wondering though why you carry the cryptosteel around. Just remember a 12 word Electrum seed and you have no explaining to do crossing borders, and no worries of being robbed when away from 'home'. Still each time I punch in those 12 words from memory to cold sign a transaction, it feels like magic internet money. It makes me again experience how powerful and independent Bitcoin really is.
Torque
Legendary

View Profile
May 30, 2017, 08:11:41 PM
Last edit: May 30, 2017, 08:23:42 PM by Torque

Dash sounds to me like a very good name from a marketing view. Never owned one myself though... neither I plan to.

Ripple, on the other hand, is an awlful name. It sounds like "Rip off". I have been "Rippled".... you know... But i am not english native so maybe I am totally wrong on MY perception.

I don't think most people is "investing" on the names. They just follow the trend and while it is giving paper book profits they go on... until a good portion of them start trying to take profits from it and the price plunges.

Seriously guys? Those altcoin names suck so bad.

Ethereum: corporeal, not real, vapor, vaporware, gone

Dash: as in we 'dash off' with your money

Monero: something a Spanish street gang uses to buy drugs with

Litecoin: half the calories of Bitcoin! (or should I say 1/4)

Ripple: a shitty energy drink

Zcash: wtf? The last letter of the alphabet?

Stellar Lumens? Golem? Bytecoin?: I just cant.

... and I could go on. And these folks believe people are going to take these 'currencies' seriously on a world wide level? Come on...
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115

View Profile
May 30, 2017, 08:15:48 PM

I'm just sitting here watching the world get rich with alt coins. But that's none of my business.. Lips sealed

It should be !

In what universe could you have predicted an OMNI would double overnight?
European Central Bank
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087

View Profile
May 30, 2017, 08:17:06 PM

[...] For some of my bitcoins I recently purchased some crypto-steel and stored some bitcoins on those. I just moved from Afghanistan to Korea spending a few weeks in Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam and French Polynesia. By moving, that meant bringing my crypto-steel with me (not trusting it to some post office). So here I am traveling with these metal squares through various security. I spent about 15 minutes in Dubai trying to explain my crypto-steel to security (I had them wrapped in metalic tape to ensure nobody tampered with them). I finally had to unwrap one enough to show what was inside (I also had full chemical gear so that was part of the inquisition as well....long story). I ended up checking my bag in with the crypto-steel from there on out and was paranoid every minute that they were not in my possession. Every hotel I went to had to have a safe. I ended up in one hotel without a safe and I only left briefly to eat. I ended up using a bus instead of going on airplanes when I traveled due to the difficulty. Flying from Vietnam to French Polynesia I decided to keep the crypto-steel with me to avoid the worry I had before. I had to explain to a Vietnamese security guard what they were, I used pictures on my phone and was ok after 5 minutes (I was surprised when he said "oh, Bitcoin!").
[...]

Thanks for sharing your experience Elwar. Had a similar one explaining a few Casascius coins.

I am wondering though why you carry the cryptosteel around. Just remember a 12 word Electrum seed and you have no explaining to do crossing borders, and no worries of being robbed when away from 'home'. Still each time I punch in those 12 words from memory to cold sign a transaction, it feels like magic internet money. It makes me again experience how powerful and independent Bitcoin really is.

does cryptosteel disguise your seed in any way or is it written down raw? it seems kind of stupid to have something so unusual that will attract attention not adding some extra security.
bitserve
Legendary

Self made HODLER ✓

View Profile
May 30, 2017, 08:18:07 PM

Monero: something a Spanish street gang uses to buy drugs with

As a spanish speaking guy I can tell you it doesn't sound like that. It sounds like "Monedero" which literal translation is wallet for storing coins.

I don't like it anyways.
European Central Bank
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087

View Profile
May 30, 2017, 08:21:35 PM

As a spanish speaking guy I can tell you it doesn't sound like that. It sounds like "Monedero" which literal translation is wallet for storing coins.

I don't like it anyways.

it's esperanto i believe.

there are worse names out there. but anyone basing financial decisions on names is kinda weird in my opinion.
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
May 30, 2017, 08:26:23 PM

Here's an idea. Get a dictionary. (or any book for that matter). Instead of writing down the private key or code, you circle a few letters per page starting from somewhere in the middle, and skip a few pages.

Sort of steganography. I'm sure you can think of more ways to use every day things that will not attract airport security.

In-flight magazines that you're allowed to take home, tour book. A bunch of letters in a necklace. Handwritten with a sharpie on the inside of your undershirt.

Or my personal favorite, a microSD card hidden on or about your person, shoes, belt buckle, stitched to the hem of your pants or shirt sleeves, taped under your watch, or just stuck in your leather wallet (where you hold your credit cards, if you have those.)

A bunch of coins in a coin purse with one fake hollowed out coin; or two coins taped together with the card in the middle, should work just as well.
bitserve
Legendary

Self made HODLER ✓

View Profile
May 30, 2017, 08:41:36 PM

Here's an idea. Get a dictionary. (or any book for that matter). Instead of writing down the private key or code, you circle a few letters per page starting from somewhere in the middle, and skip a few pages.

Sort of steganography. I'm sure you can think of more ways to use every day things that will not attract airport security.

In-flight magazines that you're allowed to take home, tour book. A bunch of letters in a necklace. Handwritten with a sharpie on the inside of your undershirt.

Or my personal favorite, a microSD card hidden on or about your person, shoes, belt buckle, stitched to the hem of your pants or shirt sleeves, taped under your watch, or just stuck in your leather wallet (where you hold your credit cards, if you have those.)

A bunch of coins in a coin purse with one fake hollowed out coin; or two coins taped together with the card in the middle, should work just as well.

I think Elwar doesn't own a "home" so that's why he carries his valuables with him on his travels.

The idea of the microSD with an encrypted (with a simpler password than a full seed) file with the private keys is very good. You can even carry it in one of these:

http://the-gadgeteer.com/2009/09/19/hide-a-microsd-card-inside-a-nickle-spy-coins/

Or hid it inside any other valuables.

If I were Elwar I would have already bought some cheap real state somewhere even if just to store my stuff. There are many places in first world countries where you can buy one for just a few tens of thousands.

Also, memorizing the seed is not that bad IF YOU HAVE BACKUPS somewhere. You don't want to rely just on your brain when in case of failure is when you would most likely need the money.
BTCtrader71

Activity: 784
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 30, 2017, 08:59:45 PM

does cryptosteel disguise your seed in any way or is it written down raw? it seems kind of stupid to have something so unusual that will attract attention not adding some extra security.

it's intended to be written down raw, although of course there's no reason you can't scramble it in some fashion, like reverse the order of the words. or something more complex than that if you wish

FractalUniverse

Activity: 1034
Merit: 558

View Profile
May 30, 2017, 09:07:29 PM

Now I feel foolish, traded the top of the BTC/ETH bubble,  now a big dive on polo.  Cry
... don't buy ETH.

FTFY

ETH is already at 20 billion marketcap  Grin

This will be a complete bloodbath once people realize that no real use cases for ETH exist...
they dont even need to put much effort and money into this pump now, as the sheep are flocking in and pumping it all by themselves Smiley
pfrtlpfmpf

View Profile
May 30, 2017, 09:13:12 PM
Last edit: May 30, 2017, 09:23:28 PM by pfrtlpfmpf

[...]

I have written "pfrtlpfmpf" on the side of it, that should distract any reader !

Ted E. Bare

Activity: 658
Merit: 503

Bear with me

View Profile
May 30, 2017, 09:15:07 PM

I don't even know what that means!
nathalie20
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 30, 2017, 09:23:17 PM

Half the crypto coins have no real value in the world. People's dreams that these coins will be great.
Most are just internet and nothing else
pfrtlpfmpf

View Profile
May 30, 2017, 09:26:08 PM

I don't even know what that means!

Me too !   Smiley
Torque
Legendary

View Profile
May 30, 2017, 09:29:03 PM

Half the crypto coins have no real value in the world. People's dreams that these coins will be great.
Most are just internet and nothing else
Half?? Now you're just being generous.

Let's put it this way:

All altcoins believe they are competing directly with Bitcoin for crypto dominance.

But Bitcoin only has ONE direct competitor: the U.S. dollar (or the entire rigged, debt-fueled worldwide banking fiat system).  It could give 2 shits about anything else.

Qartada

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2017, 09:29:12 PM

Now I feel foolish, traded the top of the BTC/ETH bubble,  now a big dive on polo.  Cry
... don't buy ETH.

FTFY

ETH is already at 20 billion marketcap  Grin

This will be a complete bloodbath once people realize that no real use cases for ETH exist...

Care to elaborate? I can already set up a smart contract online via blockchain. But yes, many of the ideas are works in progress. Point being, people can visualize the implementation of the ideas.  Apple became extremely successful after suggesting an idea of a smartphone before delivering it.
There are already cryptocurrencies, like Byteball, which are offering actual use cases for smart contracts.  Oracles, for example, can base a smart contract on several different events such as the outcome of a sports event.  For trustless escrow, smart contracts have many use cases, but ETH have not implemented them properly.

A lot of money from ETH will flow into Bitcoin as the ICO hype dies down.  This may be quite a bit later in 2017, but it'll happen sometime - most of these blockchain applications are just ploys for money in an ICO, and they have no reason for a new token.

I can see the Bitcoin price rising when this happens considering just how significant ETH has become now in terms of hype and price.
Pages: « 1 ... 16938 16939 16940 16941 16942 16943 16944 16945 16946 16947 16948 16949 16950 16951 16952 16953 16954 16955 16956 16957 16958 16959 16960 16961 16962 16963 16964 16965 16966 16967 16968 16969 16970 16971 16972 16973 16974 16975 16976 16977 16978 16979 16980 16981 16982 16983 16984 16985 16986 16987 [16988] 16989 16990 16991 16992 16993 16994 16995 16996 16997 16998 16999 17000 17001 17002 17003 17004 17005 17006 17007 17008 17009 17010 17011 17012 17013 17014 17015 17016 17017 17018 17019 17020 17021 17022 17023 17024 17025 17026 17027 17028 17029 17030 17031 17032 17033 17034 17035 17036 17037 17038 ... 33302 »
  Print  

Jump to: