May 09, 2024, 07:21:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 4418 4419 4420 4421 4422 4423 4424 4425 4426 4427 4428 4429 4430 4431 4432 4433 4434 4435 4436 4437 4438 4439 4440 4441 4442 4443 4444 4445 4446 4447 4448 4449 4450 4451 4452 4453 4454 4455 4456 4457 4458 4459 4460 4461 4462 4463 4464 4465 4466 4467 [4468] 4469 4470 4471 4472 4473 4474 4475 4476 4477 4478 4479 4480 4481 4482 4483 4484 4485 4486 4487 4488 4489 4490 4491 4492 4493 4494 4495 4496 4497 4498 4499 4500 4501 4502 4503 4504 4505 4506 4507 4508 4509 4510 4511 4512 4513 4514 4515 4516 4517 4518 ... 33335 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26380689 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
seleme
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1028

Duelbits.com

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2014, 11:48:46 PM

BTW: You´re actually quite famous? Is that you? Shocked

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jorge_Stolfi
Seems to fit the description, cool CV (and field of work).
yes, it is me...

Good stuff.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Mota
Legendary

Activity: 804
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 11:49:13 PM

You are quite right, larger markets and a fixed supply increases the price. But how many people do you think use Bitcoin Worldwide? I would hazard a guess and say a little over a million.

I have no idea of how many people use bitcoin for legal commerce.  Is there any solid estimate, somewhere?

Huobi's CEO claims that he has 10,000 active clients.  I would guess that no other exchange has more than that.  So we have perhaps 50,000 active clients
in total.  Granted, those are speculators, not users.

However, I would guess that less than 1% of all trade at the exchanges is people buying BTC to buy legal stuff.   People who keep moving bids and asks up and down to follow the price are speculators, and they seem to  generate most of the volume.

That would mean less than 3000 BTC/day, or 2,000,000 US$/day used for commerce.  If the average purchase is 100 $, that would be less than 20,000 users.

Those are just guesses, loosely based on what I see on the charts.  I would love to see real data.

I did not say that they have to be used for legal commerce. Even buy and hodl would suffice. I don't know about Huobi, but gox has over a million registered account, even when only a third of them was ever used you would have 333333 users there alone. You have Bitstamp/btce/bitcoin.de/huobi/btcchina/localbitcoin/kraken etc. who are all having massive user growth.
And those are the greater ones. I know that there is a turkish exchange too, and you can pretty much buy your bitcoins at every bitcoin "stammtisch" as Germans like to name them.
Again, the bitcoins bought don't have to be used for commerce in any way, you seem to forget that you can just use them as a commodity.
bassclef

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 11:50:19 PM

BTW: You´re actually quite famous? Is that you? Shocked

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jorge_Stolfi
Seems to fit the description, cool CV (and field of work).
yes, it is me...

Cool! Great to have such an academic mind among us... what do you think about blockchains as voting mechanisms, seeing as vote fraud is of interest to you?
fonzie

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 11:55:22 PM

Well choose for yourself if you tend to believe the bearish(fatal) predictions of an well educated mind(Jorge) or if you want to follow Billie Jean´s 80 Mio$ 2nd ellbow S-curve predictions.
Or take the easy way and believe the fonz.

Edit:
Sorry Jorge that i´m using you for my bearish trolling Wink
BTC5OOO

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

Trust:+4:20--Warning* ASICs with extreme hashrate!

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 11:56:26 PM

BTC *it's aliveeee ~ looks like we are heading back uP^ ---> run shorty runnnnn ;-) LOL
oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 11:56:57 PM

@JorgeStolfi

I'll ask you the same question I've asked a few times before, when people seem particularly negative about the prospects of Bitcoin. Here it goes:

You probably think of yourself as someone who, by and large, believes in/follows the empirical method, right? As in: you let external data dictate and change your models, not the other way around. Correct so far?

If so, under which circumstance would you conclude that you have been wrong?

Can you describe (not fully formalized and quantified, but approximately) what would qualify as:

a) a "success" of Bitcoin and

b) Bitcoin being a good investment.

Unless you're a dogmatist, that should be possible, right? To define, before the fact, the boundaries of your current assumptions/your model, and the point at which the new data requires that you adjust your assumptions/your model.

That's what I'm asking :)
JorgeStolfi

Activity: 910
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 12:05:33 AM

[ speculators ] provide liquidity and absorb excess risk that average investors are not willing to take. They exist in every market. I don't see it as a negative.

I do not intend the term as negative.  But the use of bitcoins for speculation or store of value is a side effect that is not strictly necessary for its goal (cheap safe etc. payment via internet) and may be a an obstacle to it.

I have yet to see a convincing model (with numbers) of the bitcoin economy in the bright future; much less how we can get from here to there without being steamrolled along the way by banks, governments, and other competitors like Apple and PayPal. (I read somewhere that PayPal is already blocking any payment related to bitcoin.)

The fast increase in value, for example, seems to have attracted a lot of undesriable players (greedy speculators, shady investors, incompetent businessmen, scammers...) which are already harming the project's image.
bassclef

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 12:15:38 AM

[ speculators ] provide liquidity and absorb excess risk that average investors are not willing to take. They exist in every market. I don't see it as a negative.

I do not intend the term as negative.  But the use of bitcoins for speculation or store of value is a side effect that is not strictly necessary for its goal (cheap safe etc. payment via internet) and may be a an obstacle to it.

I have yet to see a convincing model (with numbers) of the bitcoin economy in the bright future; much less how we can get from here to there without being steamrolled along the way by banks, governments, and other competitors like Apple and PayPal. (I read somewhere that PayPal is already blocking any payment related to bitcoin.)

The fast increase in value, for example, seems to have attracted a lot of undesriable players (greedy speculators, shady investors, incompetent businessmen, scammers...) which are already harming the project's image.

You know you're absolutely right. I don't think anyone in their right mind doubts that digital currencies have an uphill battle.

I was in total agreement with you last year, but I invested anyway because I believed in the idea, and have had this nagging sensation in the back of my brain ever since I didn't buy up domain names when I was 16. I even had the idea then, but got sidetracked with college, music, girls... you know Cheesy Bitcoin brought me right back to that "oh shit" moment when I was learning about the internet in its early days.

After using Bitcoin, one realizes that it's so far better than the traditional system that it may just win by default. It's an extraordinary piece of technology that's driven by a huge need for change, not just in the way we transfer value, but in the political arena where central banking has gotten out of hand.
FTWbitcoinFTW

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 12:18:12 AM

The fast increase in value, for example, seems to have attracted a lot of undesriable players

Look behind, they didn't wait the price to jump on bitcoin..
The numbers is bigger but as the random joe numbers
medialab101

Activity: 583

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 12:18:53 AM

The academic mind tends to approach every problem from a point of skepticism.

This is partly due to formal training and partly due to the politics of maintaining the image of an 'academic.'

Vision and foresight to see the future coming require a completely different disposition and set of skills.

Let the academics discuss why Bitcoin is going to fail, and then watch the tide of opinion slowly turn as it becomes the reality of our shared future. History is filled with such examples.

jonoiv

Activity: 966
Merit: 526

🐺Dogs for President🐺

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 12:20:08 AM

I see your point. but as a community, we keep growing. at some point bitcoin will change from a niche to a real threat...  After time the general population will be educated to the benefits and in my opinion, given the option, the ability and knowing the facts, most people would prefer to use bitcoin.

having said that... the short term future is not so great, and the recent problems, are not going away overnight.

seleme
Legendary

Duelbits.com

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2014, 12:23:18 AM

I do not intend the term as negative.  But the use of bitcoins for speculation or store of value is a side effect that is not strictly necessary for its goal (cheap safe etc. payment via internet) and may be a an obstacle to it.

The academic mind tends to approach every problem from a point of skepticism.

This is partly due to formal training and partly due to the politics of maintaining the image of an 'academic.'

Vision and foresight to see the future coming require a completely different disposition and set of skills.

Let the academics discuss why Bitcoin is going to fail, and then watch the tide of opinion slowly turn as it becomes the reality of our shared future. History is filled with such examples.

Exact,y that's why I wrote on page before that he is teacher and they are not really exciting ones.

They tend to play on safe, and there's no place for that in crypto at this moment. You either risk hard and make it big, or you fail trying Tongue
JorgeStolfi

Activity: 910
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 12:25:03 AM

As an experiment ... go to Google trends....

Thanks for the links.  The peaks seem to match significnt changes in price and the growth of the "market".

Also this is quite interesting stats for wallet note China does download a lot more in 2013, bbbbut not as many as USA

http://thegenesisblock.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/global-wallet-downloads.png?be58f1

Interesting too. 

Are those numbers complete (e.g. could the Chinese be downloading the software from a local source not counted in those graphs?)

My picture of the typical Huobi client is a low or middle-class person, who does not understand English, has no programming knowledge, and keeps his bitcoins in his Huobi account.  He cannot use bitcoins to pay for things in China and does not usually travel outside the country.  Would he need to download the software and/or create a private wallet in order to open an account at Huobi?
medialab101

Activity: 583

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 12:31:50 AM

Would he need to download the software and/or create a private wallet in order to open an account at Huobi?

No offense intended but you seem to have a very tenuous grasp on how Bitcoin works. Before you start making grand predictions about it's future maybe you should spend some more time educating yourself about its inner workings.
YoYa

Activity: 809
Merit: 501

Always verify deals with me through my public key!

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2014, 12:33:18 AM

You don't give any arguments.  All you seem to be saying is : "I don't see the value in BTC, and I think markets are saturated".
I can see the potential utility of cryptocoins (apart from a host of economic problems that have no stisfactory answer yet) and I wish that they would succed.

But the issue is whether Bitcoin is a good investment now.  That depends only on whether its price will increase, by how much, and when.

Welcome, to answer your question: Bitcoin is a terrible investment!

Well, kinda, sorta....in a highly contextual way. In a world where safe to moderately risky investments only bring you double digit percentage returns(if even), Bitcoin is a highly volatile unknown, unperfected vehicle which hasn't even left beta yet, in other words it can never be an investment until both the software/price reach maturity and relative stability. But if you're willing to risk money you can afford to lose, why not partake, it's a pity that earnest people have taken it on themselves to invest their farm in bitcoin because it will mean a lot of pain should it come to fail.

Also, given that it's slow, and that there are emerging competitors, the safest way to assess it is to see it as a interface bus that is used on the basis of knowledge and reliability, not necessarily the best, but definitely the best known.

Given your credentials, although it's nice to have you here, you would really do well to take up your discussions with bitcoin senior devs who will be more than happy to see another senior member of the computer science community take interest. I hope you enjoy this fascinating new technology and it's implications for century old financial practices.
bassclef

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 12:34:04 AM

Exact,y that's why I wrote on page before that he is teacher and they are not really exciting ones.

They tend to play on safe, and there's no place for that in crypto at this moment. You either risk hard and make it big, or you fail trying Tongue

Yes, but the fact that he's here says something Cool

Jorge, do you have a wallet set up? I use Electrum for small amounts as it's super easy and lightweight. I'm sure some of us would throw a few cents your way to play with, if only to promote Ivy League academic research!
fonzie

Activity: 504

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 12:39:06 AM

I´m going to sleep now, i switched my dumping bot "Billy" on Gox back on to entertain you while i´m absent. Bye
seleme
Legendary

Duelbits.com

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2014, 12:40:44 AM

Yes, but the fact that he's here says something Cool

Jorge, do you have a wallet set up? I use Electrum for small amounts as it's super easy and lightweight. I'm sure some of us would throw a few cents your way to play with, if only to promote Ivy League academic research!

It's probably more because it's his niche that made him being interested to see what's going on.
virtualfaqs

Activity: 700

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2014, 12:43:36 AM

You are allowed to sell virtual currency on eBay Classifieds now. No auction yet. So in this format it's safe to assume they will be allowing PayPal payment. No idea how this will be enforced. Of course accepting PayPal has its own risks.
roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2014, 12:45:58 AM

Wow this is nice Smiley I like it!

Pages: « 1 ... 4418 4419 4420 4421 4422 4423 4424 4425 4426 4427 4428 4429 4430 4431 4432 4433 4434 4435 4436 4437 4438 4439 4440 4441 4442 4443 4444 4445 4446 4447 4448 4449 4450 4451 4452 4453 4454 4455 4456 4457 4458 4459 4460 4461 4462 4463 4464 4465 4466 4467 [4468] 4469 4470 4471 4472 4473 4474 4475 4476 4477 4478 4479 4480 4481 4482 4483 4484 4485 4486 4487 4488 4489 4490 4491 4492 4493 4494 4495 4496 4497 4498 4499 4500 4501 4502 4503 4504 4505 4506 4507 4508 4509 4510 4511 4512 4513 4514 4515 4516 4517 4518 ... 33335 »
  Print  

Jump to: