July 01, 2024, 03:24:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 11338 11339 11340 11341 11342 11343 11344 11345 11346 11347 11348 11349 11350 11351 11352 11353 11354 11355 11356 11357 11358 11359 11360 11361 11362 11363 11364 11365 11366 11367 11368 11369 11370 11371 11372 11373 11374 11375 11376 11377 11378 11379 11380 11381 11382 11383 11384 11385 11386 11387 [11388] 11389 11390 11391 11392 11393 11394 11395 11396 11397 11398 11399 11400 11401 11402 11403 11404 11405 11406 11407 11408 11409 11410 11411 11412 11413 11414 11415 11416 11417 11418 11419 11420 11421 11422 11423 11424 11425 11426 11427 11428 11429 11430 11431 11432 11433 11434 11435 11436 11437 11438 ... 33498 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26409608 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
Sitarow
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1047

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 09:36:52 PM

manfred
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1001

Energy is Wealth

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 09:40:47 PM

Lets see how this translates 2,600 years ago...

Real wealth is houses, land, cars, food, services, etc.  Wealth gets created and destroyed, sometimes both in quick succession, as when a cook prepares a meal that gets eaten right away.  

Gold does not create any wealth. Its contribution to productivity, by (allegedly) being a more efficient payment instrument is tiny.  In fact, the contribution of gold to world's production of wealth, so far, has been humongously negative: 100 times (at least) more wealth has been destroyed by the gold system than has been created thanks to it.

Does not translate.  The replacement of barter by money transactions hugely improved the flow of goods and services, by breaking down complicated multi-party trasactions into independent two-party steps, that could be widely separated in time and space.

There was something between barter and gold. Currencies like salt, rare shells, rai stones, to name a few. Gold coins replaced those. While the other currencies were local, gold worked globally (well, almost, it didn't get to the Americas). See the parallel between contemporary local fiat currencies and the global bitcoins?

The losses caused by bitcoin include, first, all the wealth consumed by the "bitcoin phenomenon": the bitcoin mining equipment and electrical energy used by miners, all the time spent by bitcoiners looking at charts, trading bitcoins, and watching Antonopulos videos, all the time and equipment and electricity consumed by bitcoin companies, all the time spent by non-bitcoiners listening to bitcoiners and trying to understand the thing.  We should also add all the losses and hardships suffered by victims of bitcoin thefts, scams, and collapse of bitcoin companies.  Even if we discount from the latter the losses of wealthy people (which, a communist might argue, were just cases of thief stealing from thief), we can easily get to a billion dollars of damages.  

Hence the claim that, so far, bitcoin has brought 100x more losses than benefits to mankind.

How much losses are caused by gold mining? By moving cash around? By people devoting their lives to making money off the financial markets? Etc...

That is the same trick that governments and banks use when they create more money, indeed. But when the government does it, it is just another kind of tax: the government is supposed to use the wealth that it buys with that new money for the benefit of its citizens.  When banks do it, of course, there is no such return: there is net and permanent transfer of wealth from the general people to bank owners.

And that is the case too when private entities create new money, whether it is gift certificates or Linden Dollars -- or scarce metals.  *That* is why scarce metals are a scam, even if they were to succeed.

These statemetns of course make no sense when applied to gold. Banks and governments do not create more gold, and private entities do not create new scarce metals.  It obviously applies to fiat money, such as dollars and cryptocurrencies.

Gold mining companies mine gold. As such they bring more gold in circulation that wasn't in circulation before -- just like with bitcoin.

There are private entities that try to make other scarce metals (apart from gold and silver) sexy enough to act as a store of value.
Energy is Wealth (see my personal message)
JorgeStolfi

Activity: 910
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 09:41:06 PM

There was something between barter and gold. Currencies like salt, rare shells, rai stones, to name a few. Gold coins replaced those. While the other currencies were local, gold worked globally (well, almost, it didn't get to the Americas). See the parallel between contemporary local fiat currencies and the global bitcoins?

Why do you insist with gold?  I said already that I am not a "gold bug".  To me, the speculative overvaluation of gold is almost as bad as that of bitcoin. ("Almost" only because gold does have some intrinsic value, although it has little infuence in the gold's market price.)
macsga
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1002

Strange, yet attractive.

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 09:51:33 PM

Why do you insist with gold?  I said already that I am not a "gold bug".  To me, the speculative overvaluation of gold is almost as bad as that of bitcoin. ("Almost" only because gold does have some intrinsic value, although it has little infuence in the gold's market price.)

Very few of this traded gold is "out in the open". In that perspective it's in essence the same with bitcoin. Only it's here longer. Tongue
tomothy

Activity: 258
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 09:55:31 PM

Thanks for the update Sitarow-

I'm not really sure what to think about the markets right now. We seem to just be holding steady and going sideways in a pattern on multiple fronts or slightly down in all of BTC/LTC/NMC/PPC. There just isn't much volume anywhere either.   LTC has been especially stagnant except for few attempts to move the market. (Random Cryptsy dumps filling the buy/order book). Nothing happened after those moves though; just strange. I'd expect a correlated rise or fall which would inversely transfer into another market, i.e. from ltc into btc or vice versa, but nothings happening in any arena. Is it relatively safe to say that everyone is just waiting on 'something' to happen? I.e., 30 days until implementation of NY Bitlicense and/or the Marshalls Auction? (Is the auction next week)? I was expecting to see some significant movement leading up to the auction but maybe it's still a bit premature? One way or another my popcorn is getting cold! I was expecting a show!

On another note, anywhere care to speculate on what the effects of the NY BTL will have on the markets and/or exchanges? Think they will try to assert jurisdiction over BTC-E? And has anyone noticed delays moving coins? (I made a withdrawal of ltc that took far too long to move for my comfort levels).
ChartBuddy
Legendary

Activity: 2226
Merit: 1779

1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 09:59:32 PM

Coin
Explanation
Sitarow
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1047

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 10:02:24 PM
Last edit: February 26, 2015, 10:23:02 PM by Sitarow

Thanks for the update Sitarow-

I'm not really sure what to think about the markets right now. We seem to just be holding steady and going sideways in a pattern on multiple fronts or slightly down in all of BTC/LTC/NMC/PPC. There just isn't much volume anywhere either.   LTC has been especially stagnant except for few attempts to move the market. (Random Cryptsy dumps filling the buy/order book). Nothing happened after those moves though; just strange. I'd expect a correlated rise or fall which would inversely transfer into another market, i.e. from ltc into btc or vice versa, but nothings happening in any arena. Is it relatively safe to say that everyone is just waiting on 'something' to happen? I.e., 30 days until implementation of NY Bitlicense and/or the Marshalls Auction? (Is the auction next week)? I was expecting to see some significant movement leading up to the auction but maybe it's still a bit premature? One way or another my popcorn is getting cold! I was expecting a show!

On another note, anywhere care to speculate on what the effects of the NY BTL will have on the markets and/or exchanges? Think they will try to assert jurisdiction over BTC-E? And has anyone noticed delays moving coins? (I made a withdrawal of ltc that took far too long to move for my comfort levels).

I expect weekend movement before the silent bids next week.

The Bitlicense 30 day comment period is over march.
www.coindesk.com/30-day-comment-period-bitlicense-begins/

As for BTC-E paul hinted at development of a Bitlicence BTC-E exchange.  The chat is on a few screen shots from btc-e trollbox that I had recently posted.

FEB 9TH 2015 1AM UTC
bassclef

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 10:03:30 PM

Price seems to be going down a bit now. But I don't think this is going to end in another flash crash. And even if we should go down as much as last night, it will only show the resilience Bitcoin has managed to gain over the past weeks!

to me it looks like a slow grind down.

We've been consolidating with higher highs since Feb 30. Hardly a grind down.
Fatman3001
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1013

Make Bitcoin glow with ENIAC

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 10:13:46 PM

Price seems to be going down a bit now. But I don't think this is going to end in another flash crash. And even if we should go down as much as last night, it will only show the resilience Bitcoin has managed to gain over the past weeks!

We've been consolidating with higher highs since Feb Jan 30. Hardly a grind down.

FTFY
Hfertig

Activity: 361

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 10:15:09 PM

We've been consolidating with higher highs since Feb 30. Hardly a grind down.

Interesting... it appears I am living in the past. That might be the reason I do see a grind down. I got another 5 days left to see what you see. Hope you are right...
Andre#

Activity: 737
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 10:20:32 PM

Why do you insist with gold?  I said already that I am not a "gold bug".  To me, the speculative overvaluation of gold is almost as bad as that of bitcoin. ("Almost" only because gold does have some intrinsic value, although it has little infuence in the gold's market price.)

Because gold is very much comparable with bitcoin (except for a few differences). By transposing your arguments against bitcoin to gold, the flaws are more easy to spot. But then, if you say gold is/was just as bad as value storage and value transfer as bitcoin, then we can end this discussion. I think gold did a good job until recently. Nowadays, it's not practical anymore. But bitcoin is. IMHO, of course.  Wink
explorer
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1259

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 10:26:49 PM

Speaking of "marshall auction next week"  is this the last of the coins the feds have to auction at this point?  I hope so.  I think that it has caused some parties to keep prices deflated for hopes of purchasing in at a lower price, or just the fears that price will plummet because of such a huge amount being sold off.

No, there will be 44k left after this one.

I believe the Australian govt stole some as well, and plan to auction them.  The lower they sell for, the better.
Andre#

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 10:33:35 PM

What I meant is that "bitcoin insurance" can probably only be what circle and coinbase are offering, basically telling people that "it's all insured" but if your computer/account gets hacked you are screwed and they don't give you a penny.
Considering bitcoin is irreversible and all, good luck with actual consumer protection.

If I let my computer get hacked, and the thieves empty my fiat bank account, I'm screwed, too. No difference.

One of my neighbours had her bank card stolen after she went to an ATM. The thieves had seen her typing in her code. She got nothing from the bank.

Sounds like utter bullshit.  What country do you live in?

The things I say can't sound more like bullshit than the things you say. I live in the Netherlands. (Because you asked so nicely.)

Seems that people in the US have problems like these, too.

https://medium.com/@adamdraper/a-hacker-stole-50k-from-my-bank-account-388822389671
Hfertig

Activity: 361

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 10:36:05 PM

We've been consolidating with higher highs since Feb Jan 30. Hardly a grind down.

FTFY

why would someone look at this chart and make this assumption on a less than a one month timeframe? Zoom out to one year and all I see is lower highs and lower lows with no indication for a turnaround. Even the downtrend has not been tested once...
NotLambchop

Activity: 378
Merit: 254

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 10:38:13 PM

What I meant is that "bitcoin insurance" can probably only be what circle and coinbase are offering, basically telling people that "it's all insured" but if your computer/account gets hacked you are screwed and they don't give you a penny.
Considering bitcoin is irreversible and all, good luck with actual consumer protection.

If I let my computer get hacked, and the thieves empty my fiat bank account, I'm screwed, too. No difference.

One of my neighbours had her bank card stolen after she went to an ATM. The thieves had seen her typing in her code. She got nothing from the bank.

The things I say can't sound more like bullshit than the things you say. I live in the Netherlands. (Because you asked so nicely.)

https://medium.com/@adamdraper/a-hacker-stole-50k-from-my-bank-account-388822389671

Hahahahahahahahahaha  Another BITCOIN SCAMMER Cheesy

"My name is Adam Draper, I run an accelerator for Bitcoin startups called Boost VC and on January 14th, 2015 I had $50,000 stolen from me. Which is a lot of money, and the worst part is, I don’t know who did it, so I can’t take my rage out on them. So this was my $50,000 lesson."
NotLambchop

Activity: 378
Merit: 254

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 10:41:21 PM

I believe the Australian govt stole some as well, and plan to auction them.  The lower they sell for, the better.

Oh, you mean that MDMA idiot who got popped in Transylvania Tasmania?
Bitcoiners are the most inept criminals.  Not for the lack of tryin' tho Cheesy
ChuckBuck

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2015, 10:46:01 PM

Oh, you mean that MDMA idiot who got popped in Transylvania Tasmania?
Bitcoiners are the most inept criminals.  Not for the lack of tryin' tho Cheesy

India laughs at your feeble Tasmanian $500k drug bust.

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/drugs-dri-drug-bust-delhi-30-crore-amphetamine-mephedrone-maharashtra/1/420560.html
samsonn25

Activity: 882

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 10:48:14 PM

"My name is Adam Draper, I run an accelerator for Bitcoin startups called Boost VC and on January 14th, 2015 I had $50,000 stolen from me. Which is a lot of money, and the worst part is, I don’t know who did it, so I can’t take my rage out on them. So this was my $50,000 lesson."

This guy is also dumb.  And wires can be stopped after  they are transmitted.  I assume the receiver had a fake  bank account and id  too to open  it and make the  withdrawal.
Andre#

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 10:53:33 PM

This guy is also dumb.  And wires can be stopped after  they are transmitted.  I assume the receiver had a fake  bank account and id  too to open  it and make the  withdrawal.

Apparently not, because he tried (did you read the story?). So where is the fabulous consumer protection? Oh, right, there was no merchant paying for it. So, though luck!
samsonn25

Activity: 882

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 10:59:03 PM

I did  read  it.

Both the  account  and  guy were wrong if  they blindly  send  50k wires by email  instructions. 
Pages: « 1 ... 11338 11339 11340 11341 11342 11343 11344 11345 11346 11347 11348 11349 11350 11351 11352 11353 11354 11355 11356 11357 11358 11359 11360 11361 11362 11363 11364 11365 11366 11367 11368 11369 11370 11371 11372 11373 11374 11375 11376 11377 11378 11379 11380 11381 11382 11383 11384 11385 11386 11387 [11388] 11389 11390 11391 11392 11393 11394 11395 11396 11397 11398 11399 11400 11401 11402 11403 11404 11405 11406 11407 11408 11409 11410 11411 11412 11413 11414 11415 11416 11417 11418 11419 11420 11421 11422 11423 11424 11425 11426 11427 11428 11429 11430 11431 11432 11433 11434 11435 11436 11437 11438 ... 33498 »
  Print  

Jump to: