May 03, 2024, 10:34:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 15103 15104 15105 15106 15107 15108 15109 15110 15111 15112 15113 15114 15115 15116 15117 15118 15119 15120 15121 15122 15123 15124 15125 15126 15127 15128 15129 15130 15131 15132 15133 15134 15135 15136 15137 15138 15139 15140 15141 15142 15143 15144 15145 15146 15147 15148 15149 15150 15151 15152 [15153] 15154 15155 15156 15157 15158 15159 15160 15161 15162 15163 15164 15165 15166 15167 15168 15169 15170 15171 15172 15173 15174 15175 15176 15177 15178 15179 15180 15181 15182 15183 15184 15185 15186 15187 15188 15189 15190 15191 15192 15193 15194 15195 15196 15197 15198 15199 15200 15201 15202 15203 ... 33318 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26371310 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
April 17, 2016, 08:05:17 PM

I was told that despite the title of this thread it also serves as the block observer thread.

For whatever reason it currently looks like a full block day.

Let's see if my transaction that I just sent which included a fee high enough too be rated "high priority" will be included in the next block.  Yes I actually have a use for btc and use it on a regular basis.

While I was typing this, a new block was found the size of which was 0.9982 MB  Shocked and I am happy to report that my "high priority" transaction, fee of 0.000113, was included in that block Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Gyrsur
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 1518

Bitcoin Legal Tender Countries: 2 of 206

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2016, 08:15:59 PM

I was told that despite the title of this thread it also serves as the block observer thread.

For whatever reason it currently looks like a full block day.

Let's see if my transaction that I just sent which included a fee high enough too be rated "high priority" will be included in the next block.  Yes I actually have a use for btc and use it on a regular basis.

While I was typing this, a new block was found the size of which was 0.9982 MB  Shocked and I am happy to report that my "high priority" transaction, fee of 0.000113, was included in that block Smiley

https://blockchain.info/de/charts/avg-block-size
XCASH
Legendary

Activity: 929
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 17, 2016, 08:18:09 PM

It's mostly a troll movement tracking & discussion thread sprinkled with a bit of blurb about segwit every now and again. We track and discuss lambie's latest socks. Adam should change the title to the lambie sock movement tracking & discussion thread.
billyjoeallen
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1007

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2016, 08:20:32 PM

Does somebody know ehat is causing this price movement?

I don't know, but it's got everyone posting here again. I though this thread was dead after weeks of nothing but sparse NLC sock posts. A ten dollar pump later and all the old timers are back posting here again. This latest pump is unusually slow and steady compared to the usual sharp violent ones. Perhaps it's more sustainable because of it.

It's only sustainable if price can raise at a rate slower than average blocksize. I don't see how that's possible because a belief in rising xaction fees has the effect of pushing demand forward or in other words causing people to transact now rather than later which causes the blocks to grow. A self-fulfilling prophecy. 

So either you think a fee market will emerge, in which case you contribute to the capacity problem or you think it won't, in which case you hold off and allow the market to think demand for blockspace is lower than it is,  which creates less incentive to fix the capacity problem. How are you gonna take advantage of a non-jammed network without contributing to the jam? 

The capacity problem will not be fixed if it is not seen as a problem and it won't be seen as a problem if the exchange price is high. Miners will continue to profit selling a shitty inferior product because you assholes keep buying it. I can't blame them. You can't buy as much blockspace as you used to for the same amount of coin. You can't xfer it as fast for the same fee. It can be censored by the PRC.  One Bitcoin is a smaller amount of total market cap than it used to be.  Even if it's undervalued, it's not nearly as undervalued as it was at $350, so why the hell are you buying now? Got a tax refund burning a hole in your pocket?
r0ach
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile
April 17, 2016, 08:32:13 PM

It's only sustainable if price can raise at a rate slower than average blocksize. I don't see how that's possible because a belief in rising xaction fees has the effect of pushing demand forward or in other words causing people to transact now rather than later which causes the blocks to grow. A self-fulfilling prophecy. 

So either you think a fee market will emerge, in which case you contribute to the capacity problem or you think it won't, in which case you hold off and allow the market to think demand for blockspace is lower than it is,  which creates less incentive to fix the capacity problem. How are you gonna take advantage of a non-jammed network without contributing to the jam? 

The capacity problem will not be fixed if it is not seen as a problem and it won't be seen as a problem if the exchange price is high. Miners will continue to profit selling a shitty inferior product because you assholes keep buying it. I can't blame them. You can't buy as much blockspace as you used to for the same amount of coin. You can't xfer it as fast for the same fee. It can be censored by the PRC.  One Bitcoin is a smaller amount of total market cap than it used to be.  Even if it's undervalued, it's not nearly as undervalued as it was at $350, so why the hell are you buying now? Got a tax refund burning a hole in your pocket?

And anytime BillyJoeAllen posts about a supposed "block size armageddon", all you need to do is post this as reply:

It doesn't matter what % of blocks are full you stupid fucks.  All that matters is what the average transaction fee is.  Since there is no minimum transaction fee, the blocks are basically designed to be full at all times eventually even if you set it to 100MB blocks.  Segwit + hard fork in 2017 = 3.2MB blocks.  Then schnorr multisig on top of that should lower transaction sizes and increase TPS further.
billyjoeallen
Legendary

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2016, 09:02:05 PM

And anytime BillyJoeAllen posts about a supposed "block size armageddon", all you need to do is post this as reply:

It doesn't matter what % of blocks are full you stupid fucks.  All that matters is what the average transaction fee is.  Since there is no minimum transaction fee, the blocks are basically designed to be full at all times eventually even if you set it to 100MB blocks.  Segwit + hard fork in 2017 = 3.2MB blocks.  Then schnorr multisig on top of that should lower transaction sizes and increase TPS further.

If blocks were designed to be full, then how come they weren't full until recently despite effectively zero fees?  cripplecoiners never answer that.
kodtycoon
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 17, 2016, 09:45:41 PM

are the blocks full because of spam tx's or genuine ones? like is someone artificially filling blocks atm or is it natural?
billyjoeallen
Legendary

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2016, 10:05:04 PM

are the blocks full because of spam tx's or genuine ones? like is someone artificially filling blocks atm or is it natural?

define natural. All xactions that conform to the protocol get included. They are all natural. That's the whole point of having a distributed open source ledger, so that nobody is in the position of telling us what we can do.
kodtycoon
Legendary

View Profile
April 17, 2016, 10:05:57 PM

If blocks were designed to be full, then how come they weren't full until recently despite effectively zero fees?  cripplecoiners never answer that.

why would people do transactions simply because there is space? the fees were low for a long time because the blocksize was always more than big enough for the number of transactions. now that they are near full, the fee increases as competition for space increases. eventually, if the size doesnt increase, demand for space will lead to further increases in the cost to transact.

i dont think they were designed to be full, as that would require a dynamic blocksize. without dynamic blocksize, they are either not full due to low transaction count, just full when it reaches equilibrium, or over full when there is too much demand. The only way i see this becoming a problem is if demand is so high that transaction fees become intolerable, though i suspect that could happen very fast if transaction fees are dynamically increased as blocks become fuller.

It doesnt matter if most users dont see it as a problem, it will be fixed so long as the devs see it as a problem and miners agree. since when do decision makers take joe soaps opinions into account when deciding whether is an issue or not. Facebook users never considered how much data they were creating or how it would affect their beloved facebook did they? but yet facebook and their devs still pre-emtped the issue and solved it, regardless of whether the users considered it an issue or not.

i dont see why bitcoin would be any different. facebook over loaded = facebook goes down. bitcoin over loaded, transactions get very expensive. this isnt a consideration that the vast majority of users will take into account ever so to say that blocks should be full simply because they its cheap to transact is wrong. to assume that users will front run others by sending transactions sooner because fees might increase soon is also wrong. to think that most users have that kind of foresight is wrong. to think that users will send transactions willy nilly just because they can do it very cheap is wrong. you are thinking about this as if people are rational beings and will always optimize their use of bitcoin and plan ahead, but people just arent like that.
kodtycoon
Legendary

View Profile
April 17, 2016, 10:07:28 PM

define natural. All xactions that conform to the protocol get included. They are all natural. That's the whole point of having a distributed open source ledger, so that nobody is in the position of telling us what we can do.

you obviously know what i mean but are purposefully trying to sound clever.

i mean is someone running a bot to send pointless transactions just to fill the blocks to put pressure on the core devs to do something.

what else would i mean by artificially filling the blocks.
billyjoeallen
Legendary

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2016, 10:19:33 PM

i mean is someone running a bot to send pointless transactions just to fill the blocks to put pressure on the core devs to do something.

Why would filling blocks to pressure Core be illegitimate? Highlighting a weakness in a network in order to facilitate a fix is common with all open source projects.
kodtycoon
Legendary

View Profile
April 17, 2016, 10:29:31 PM

Why would filling blocks to pressure Core be illegitimate? Highlighting a weakness in a network in order to facilitate a fix is common with all open source projects.

because its not genuine user transaction growth due to a need/want to use bitcoin. its a growth in transaction because someone wants the devs to make a change. its akin to a forced ddos. its not a ddos due to genuine user growth, its an attack to take down down a website. whether its done with good intentions or not, its still artificial.
billyjoeallen
Legendary

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2016, 10:39:54 PM

why would people do transactions simply because there is space? the fees were low for a long time because the blocksize was always more than big enough for the number of transactions. now that they are near full, the fee increases as competition for space increases. eventually, if the size doesnt increase, demand for space will lead to further increases in the cost to transact.

i dont think they were designed to be full, as that would require a dynamic blocksize. without dynamic blocksize, they are either not full due to low transaction count, just full when it reaches equilibrium, or over full when there is too much demand. The only way i see this becoming a problem is if demand is so high that transaction fees become intolerable, though i suspect that could happen very fast if transaction fees are dynamically increased as blocks become fuller.

It doesnt matter if most users dont see it as a problem, it will be fixed so long as the devs see it as a problem and miners agree. since when do decision makers take joe soaps opinions into account when deciding whether is an issue or not. Facebook users never considered how much data they were creating or how it would affect their beloved facebook did they? but yet facebook and their devs still pre-emtped the issue and solved it, regardless of whether the users considered it an issue or not.

i dont see why bitcoin would be any different. facebook over loaded = facebook goes down. bitcoin over loaded, transactions get very expensive. this isnt a consideration that the vast majority of users will take into account ever so to say that blocks should be full simply because they its cheap to transact is wrong. to assume that users will front run others by sending transactions sooner because fees might increase soon is also wrong. to think that most users have that kind of foresight is wrong. to think that users will send transactions willy nilly just because they can do it very cheap is wrong. you are thinking about this as if people are rational beings and will always optimize their use of bitcoin and plan ahead, but people just arent like that.

ok, so you agree with me that blocks weren't designed to be full and so Roach is full of shit. There are two conflicting problems with opposite solutions. 1) chainbloat that can occur easily when fees are low. 2) service disruptions that can occur when xactions exceed capacity.  Where you stand on the blocksize issue depends on how you prioritize these problems.

I think it's silly to worry about chainbloat when the entire chain can still fit on a 64GB jump drive. We need to build a much bigger user base before we balance the need for blockspace with the need for capacity or we risk losing market share to altcoins that have lower fees and cheaper blockspace. This is already occurring and if we lose firstmover advantage, Bitcoin will become the MySpace of Crypto and recovery will be highly unlikely.
billyjoeallen
Legendary

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2016, 10:46:08 PM

because its not genuine user transaction growth due to a need/want to use bitcoin. its a growth in transaction because someone wants the devs to make a change. its akin to a forced ddos. its not a ddos due to genuine user growth, its an attack to take down down a website. whether its done with good intentions or not, its still artificial.

So it's more or less exactly like the assholes who were filling the blocks with zero fee xactions to pressure Core NOT to increase the blocksize limit. At least Bigblock spammers are paying fees. It cuts both ways. If we shouldn't yield to the pressure of bigblock spammers, then we shouldn't yield to the pressure of smallblock spammers either. Once you start playing favorites with transactions, you become a central banker, the very thing Bitcoin was supposed to prevent.
r0ach
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile
April 17, 2016, 11:01:45 PM

If there is no minimum transaction fee, there are numerous methods of making blocks full at all times no matter how big you make them either using little or no money to do so (such as the miners themselves).  This means the only relevant metric is how much the transaction fees are and not what % of blocks are full.  It's so simple even a caveman can understand it.
billyjoeallen
Legendary

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2016, 11:12:32 PM

If there is no minimum transaction fee, there are numerous methods of making blocks full at all times no matter how big you make them either using little or no money to do so (such as the miners themselves).  This means the only relevant metric is how much the transaction fees are and not what % of blocks are full.  It's so simple even a caveman can understand it.

Yeah, I agree it's caveman logic. Kinda like telling women to piss their pants to prevent being raped. it may work sometimes, but there is a cost.  You're also likely gonna scare off suitors that you actually want.
AlexGR
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049

View Profile
April 18, 2016, 12:23:30 AM

If there is genuine demand for blockspace, you'll see the fees rising significantly coupled with tx spillover to altcoin blockchains.

Given the above:

1) Long-established altcoins have very low tx count
2) BTC fees are EXTREMELY low / practically zero cost, indicating low tx demand (for genuine uses).

https://bitcoinfees.21.co/

marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
April 18, 2016, 12:36:00 AM

BlockyJoeAllen come to dump his mind vomit all over these public pages again I see.

Hey genius, you think you got it all figured, where's your code? Where's you tests? Where's your data?

Enough with the mind vomit, time to put up or stfu.

Monday morning quarterbacks and backseat drivers are worse than clueless noobs, there is no reason for their ignorance, it's just willful.
billyjoeallen
Legendary

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2016, 02:12:14 AM

BlockyJoeAllen come to dump his mind vomit all over these public pages again I see.

Hey genius, you think you got it all figured, where's your code? Where's you tests? Where's your data?

Monday morning quarterbacks and backseat drivers are worse than clueless noobs, there is no reason for their ignorance, it's just willful.

I don't have to be an automotive engineer to know that a car with a 40 MPH governor is prolly not gonna be a bestseller.
nanobrain
Legendary

Activity: 1008

Dumb broad

View Profile
April 18, 2016, 02:13:47 AM

I remember you used to think BJA actually was a genius...but then he started disagreeing with you.

If you want to start floating your theory that the BJA account has been sold/hijacked, the allusion to women being raped suggests this is the original BJA in all his unapologetic glory.

Pages: « 1 ... 15103 15104 15105 15106 15107 15108 15109 15110 15111 15112 15113 15114 15115 15116 15117 15118 15119 15120 15121 15122 15123 15124 15125 15126 15127 15128 15129 15130 15131 15132 15133 15134 15135 15136 15137 15138 15139 15140 15141 15142 15143 15144 15145 15146 15147 15148 15149 15150 15151 15152 [15153] 15154 15155 15156 15157 15158 15159 15160 15161 15162 15163 15164 15165 15166 15167 15168 15169 15170 15171 15172 15173 15174 15175 15176 15177 15178 15179 15180 15181 15182 15183 15184 15185 15186 15187 15188 15189 15190 15191 15192 15193 15194 15195 15196 15197 15198 15199 15200 15201 15202 15203 ... 33318 »
  Print  

Jump to: