June 28, 2024, 10:56:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 16657 16658 16659 16660 16661 16662 16663 16664 16665 16666 16667 16668 16669 16670 16671 16672 16673 16674 16675 16676 16677 16678 16679 16680 16681 16682 16683 16684 16685 16686 16687 16688 16689 16690 16691 16692 16693 16694 16695 16696 16697 16698 16699 16700 16701 16702 16703 16704 16705 16706 [16707] 16708 16709 16710 16711 16712 16713 16714 16715 16716 16717 16718 16719 16720 16721 16722 16723 16724 16725 16726 16727 16728 16729 16730 16731 16732 16733 16734 16735 16736 16737 16738 16739 16740 16741 16742 16743 16744 16745 16746 16747 16748 16749 16750 16751 16752 16753 16754 16755 16756 16757 ... 33489 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26408020 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
gembitz

Activity: 1834
Merit: 639

*Brute force will solve any Bitcoin problem*

View Profile
April 10, 2017, 06:07:46 PM

Good morning Bitcoinland.

Good to see we're still over $1200... $1212USD (Bitcoinaverage).

It's been pretty much flat since this time yesterday. Consolidation is good.

Keep the steps up steady and moderate. Gradual growth is best.

#choochoo(next stop)>.>
BTC$1337 Cool == radars!!
kurious
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 1643

View Profile
April 10, 2017, 07:15:40 PM

gold underpins lots of electronics and aerospace parts among other things. i still have absolutely no desire to own any.

why isn't this roach guy on a precious metal forum instead?

I wish he would go and take his sickening anti-semitic neo-nazi nutcase propaganda with him.

JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 10446

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
April 10, 2017, 08:54:28 PM
Last edit: April 10, 2017, 11:53:00 PM by JayJuanGee

I personally think that it makes a big difference to bet 100% versus betting 90%, and to play around with the 90% in the system that I employ (and maybe you too with the something similar that you mention).

Only a 10% difference, even if it psycologicaly makes you have a much different perception.

Even though you are making a statement, here, I think that you are asking a question in a disbelieving manner.

The fact of the matter is that 10% makes a whole fucking lot of a difference in the way it plays out - even a few percentage points can make a considerable difference in approach.

And, it is not merely the 10%, but also the way that a person approaches a large number of investments and/or allocation of investments - in order to structure in a way that is either systematic - or on the other hand gambling.  There is a difference and sometimes it does not take a whole hell of a lot of funds in order to hedge in a systematic and strategic way rather than going into an investment in a kind of balls to the walls manner.

There is a mindset difference too, to gamble everything in one direction or another versus the hedging that does not cause as much of a betting behavior.

Yes, I agree in the mindset difference. But it is just that, a mindset difference, not a REAL difference.

Maybe we should just agree to disagree, even though this tends to be a common theme that I harp upon when posters here seem to be unnecessarily gambling with their bitcoins - and seem to be either unwilling or unable to recognize that there are safer and more systematic strategies.

In the end, I will admit that my overall approach is biased in favor of long term upwards price movements and relies upon a certain amount of ongoing volatility to increase its profitability.  Otherwise, the application of my whole systematic approach is almost non-thinking.  It is like the application of an algorithm (like a bot) to almost assuredly make money as long as you stick to the system.

That's it. You are "betting" on long term up direction, and you are doing it with 90% of your bitcoin allocated funds. It's no wonder you have had a great result overall for the past two years.

I don't think so.

Sometimes small differences in approach can cause a world of difference.

Even though I attempt to explain my system to people on an ongoing basis, I don't really criticize anyone who choses to merely exercise one side of the equation  and that is to buy and to accumulate.  That is one side of my particular equation  but does not result in more bitcoins and more money, it only results in more bitcoins, while investing more money.  My system results in more of both.

And with the 10% you have been basically scalping, which might have given you even better results. That's ok. But most of your great results are because of an "almost all in" bet in the right direction.

Sure, there are a variety of ways to tweak the system, and I am not suggesting any one-size-fits-all approach.  In the end, you have to tailor to your own situation - but any kind of playing with percentages and hedging is likely to play out better than attempting to go balls to the wall without any kind of clearly outlined system.

If this past two years the direction of price would have been downtrend.... you would have had a pretty poor result no matter the small 10% hedge you were using.

The first two years that I was in bitcoin, I did not sell any, and I only replaced when I sold - so I was in accumulation mode.  Yeah, if we return to a downtrend, then I will accumulate more bitcoins and I will not have as much cash, as I already said.  i am still prepared for either direction, even though my portfolio (as you said) does better when the price goes up in the long term because that is a built in assumption).  For example, once I started trading, my average buy price was about $510-ish, and then is currently below $400.. however, if the price were to return to below $300, then I would end up acquiring more than 15% more additional coins and my average price per coin would drop a bit -but the overall amount in the negative would be around 20% rather than 40% if I had not done anything.

In the end, the whole strategy that I employ is meant to provide decent protections in regards to volatility  and to take advantage of volatility while not guessing about price direction or gambling.

Maybe you have some of your various fucked up explanations to attempt to suggest that there is no difference, but in the end, relatively small amounts of hedging and systematic employment of incrementalism provides a lot of protections on the downside - even though it may not result in larger upside in the event that a person gambles correctly (which I think is a bigger risk to engage in ongoing gambling practices).

Without giving some kind of details regarding how the betting 100% one way or another works, it does not seem like that guy is employing any kind of system, except for luck and guessing.  So, maybe in the end, I need more details from that other guy regarding how he employs his seemingly guessing game system.  

He is employing a "system". He thought the price direction could be downwards and got all out.

Now, you are white knighting and speaking for someone else.  You are guessing.  

Yes, there could be ways that a person could systematically employ balls to the walls strategies, but in this particular case, you have no fucking clue, and you are guessing about the practices of someone else who has not explained whether or not he has any kind of strategy - beyond feelings and intuition.... which is hardly systematic.

If he is right, good for him, he will get all in when he deems appropiate price. If he is wrong... maybe he will also go all in (at a "loss") if he thinks the price will keep going upwards.

Maybe this, maybe that.  Sounds like guessing.

The only difference I appreciate is that you devote a 10% to sorta scalp and he doesnt. I like scalping.

Sure.   Call my system scalping or whatever, there can still be some variance in the way that different people employ it and even with myself, I continue to have some flexibility if I want to deviate somewhat from my own system - even though I tend to find that I largely stick with the system and only deviate in small ways from time to time - and I never really bet big (which continues to be a difference that you fail / refuse to appreciate and wants to argue about your failure/refusal to recognize).

I was a big time scalper in 2013 (with very good results btw), until I ended "all in" because the price came lower than I would sell any more nor invest one more buck. I just let it sit, until I started again buying (not selling) in 2015 after the dump to $300 right after the $500 spike.

Well, long term views about bitcoin could have changed the way that each of us attempted to employ our strategy (whether you call it scalping or otherwise).  Since you seem to have gotten into bitcoin before me, your strategy seems to have played out differently, but it could have also affected your ways of thinking about some of these matters.  I am not sure, yet it does seem that you and I have some difference in what we actually did when the price fell from $1200 to $200.  When the price was in the $600s and when the price was in the upper $300s, each time I made considerable investments because I thought that we had reached bottom.  I did not go 100% in, but I was pretty fucking close, and at that point, I mostly just had the tool of the dollar cost averaging to continue to buy on a regular basis for the period of time that prices were largely in the lower to mid $200s.  

So, yeah, maybe in the end, both you and I were in a similar place and running out of money and with a average cost of several coins that was higher than the then current price.

However, one thing that differed in my practice from yours is that I continued to buy throughout the nearly year long period that prices were below what I expected them to be.  Sure, I did not have as much money because I had anticpated higher prices, but I did not stop buying during that period of low prices.

But scalping/hedging with 10% is still 10%. Your result is mostly defined by the 90% you have in a bet of long term upside (which I also share, btw).

Again, I don't think so, and we seem to be kind of repeating ourselves and maybe even quibbling about some nuances.

In other words, he guesses on the direction of the prices and I do not... there is a whole hell of a lot of difference in those two kinds of systems and those two ways of thinking (even though you are trying to argue that they are almost the same, when they are not).

Of course you are "guessing/betting" on one direction. You are doing it with 90% of your allocated funds on upside move!

We don't agree.  The situation plays out differently, as I keep repeating.

In fact you are also doing it with the 10%.... Yes, you are reserving it in a bet on a possible downwards movement. Call it hedging, or whatever you want, but its also a guess/bet.... Otherwise you would be 100% on your feeling.

Again.  I try not to predict too much.  If the price goes down I buy and if the price goes up I sell.  Every once in a while I will throw a little more in one direction or another, but generally I attempt to refrain from any kind of meaningful guessing and I just attempt to apply the system and maybe tweak it a little way here and there depending on whether I believe that I am running out of funds  - and so that I do not run out of funds.

I recall that a couple of dips, I was at 98% and 2% and I had to engage in some tweaking of my holdings that was a little bit out of the system but an attempted to continue to have some dollars in case the price kept going lower... I had to tweak because I was running out.  I also recall tweaking at 92% to bring up my BTC allocation to 94% .. because I thought that I had too much cash and I was a bit more inclined to think that I did not have enough bitcoin in the event the price was going up.  These are tweakings that are based on a kind of gamble - but overall the large majority of the system is NOT playing around with guessing the market direction but instead employing a kind of algorithm (like a bot)

Maybe an example might help?    This is not exactly my whole system, but it is the main part of my system.

An example? Well, maybe you think that guy is all out and if the price keeps rising he will keep forever out.... But he can change its mind if price keeps rising an additional 10% and now he thinks it will keep rising for sure. Yes, he will have lose a 10% profit, but again, you also did for not being all in. So both of you are on par on that.

You can speak for yourself, but again comes off as white knighting if you are describing what the other guy is doing and what trigger points he might have.

In the end, I am just trying to say that we are all betting on up and down, no matter if you do with 100%, 90% or any other arbitrary percentage of funds.

No matter what, I am saying there is distinction with difference, and you seem to fail and refuse to recognize such distinction (whether you are not capable might be another story).

What is really important is that we don't do it with more than we can afford to lose/keep frozen for a long time.... if that happens, you are fucked big time.

We seem to agree about the point of not over investing, but some people figure out ways to employ margin trading too... which could be too much gambling for my tastes, but still there can be systematic ways to employ in a prudent way.

Let's say in my system, I begin trading with 10 coins, and BTC price are around $300, and I trade for 2 years with the same amount of coins and I use those proceeds from those trades to buy back.  For some reason, you would think that after 2 years, and reaching a 90% allocation, that once BTC prices reached $1,200 my system would cause me to have 9 coins and about $1,200?  Right?  But instead my system has allowed me to have 10 coins and $1,200 with the same amount of investment.  I don't know the math exactly, but for some reason, my system seems to have allowed me to maintain the same amount of coins and to stack dollars.  

Your system have been working for you because:

1) Mainly you have been almost all in, in a bull market.
2) YOu have been scalping, buying the dips and selling the spikes in a bull market.

If you would have been doing the same in a downtrend market you would feel very different about your system.

Again we are repeating.  I don't agree.

Personally, with the betting 100% system, I really don't think that systematically a person could have as much confidence to have the similar kinds of consistent results if he was continuously betting 100% in one direction or another.  In my opinion, just seems to be too much reliance on luck and too much reliance that at one point or another, the bet is going to go wrong which in the end causes long term losses rather than gains.

Oh, you don't need to always be right with a 100% betting system. You just need to be right more than 50% of the bets.

I agree with that, so I agree that there can be systematic ways to employ 100% betting, and that is why I posted in the first place to attempt to get some specifics regarding what the guy's plan was or is.

Again not much more different than any other system bassed on percentage of allocated funds to be in/out and hedge.

I agree that there are ways that seemingly different systems could be employed in ways to achieve similar results.
deepcolderwallet

Activity: 294
Merit: 103

View Profile
April 11, 2017, 12:21:56 AM

Silver isn't stagnating, there's only 29 million registered ounces of silver for delivery on Comex and over ONE BILLION ounces in open interest with the highest amount of naked shorts ever seen in world history.  The paper price is completely divorced from reality.  This is why I buy it.  For anyone who wants to make money, the second you see someone manipulating the price of an asset downwards, you buy.  Whenever you see an asset artifically inflated (bitcoin), you sell.  It would only take $536 million to wipe out the Comex silver market right now - the price of a single F22.  Even the Winklevoss alone could almost wipe them out by dumping their bitcoin for silver.

The more I see the ESF/BIS attempt to rig the metals market downward - like last Friday with the most obvious manipulation ever seen - while allowing bitcoin to rise, the more it tells me bitcoin is not the place to be.  It tells me that the bankers WANT you to be in bitcoin because it's a rat trap.  They want to force you into a digital only currency.  You're doing them a favor by buying it.  They can easily come in and co-opt it via the legal system and the attack vector of exchanges and mining pools afterwards.

If bitcoin was actually a threat to bankers they would be coming at it with the same force as they do silver like this chart, but they don't try to stop bitcoin at all!  The last fucking thing I'm gonna do is allow international banking jews to herd me around into worthless assets to try and prevent the goyim from having access to real wealth.  Bitcoin is just a currency, not money.  That's why it's called cryptocurrency.  Gold and silver are money.

Do you know if is there an international physical silver exchange that would deliver in LatAm? Specifically Brasil. I've searched for national business here without success.
bitserve
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1464

Self made HODLER ✓

View Profile
April 11, 2017, 01:36:42 AM

I agree with that, so I agree that there can be systematic ways to employ 100% betting, and that is why I posted in the first place to attempt to get some specifics regarding what the guy's plan was or is.

Again not much more different than any other system bassed on percentage of allocated funds to be in/out and hedge.

I agree that there are ways that seemingly different systems could be employed in ways to achieve similar results.

I don't want to break a record on the longest reply or something but also I don't like to leave a message without reply, so I won't go into a detailed quote.

What I was trying to say is that if you have never lowered from a 85% IN bitcoin, that is some bet you have on longterm upwards movement.

Whatever you do with your 5-10-15% of trading stash is something else. You say that makes a big difference, I say it isn't that much of a difference. We can agree on that disagreement.

If you were doing what you do, with a BIGGER percentage of trading/hedging funds I would say the difference is bigger. In fact, if you are getting a considerable better benchmark on the trading of that 10%... maybe you should increase that percentage to make the difference (and the profits) bigger.

You are right in that I don't know what that guy system is or if he has system at all. I was just trying to give some example in how being 100% in/out can be done following some kind of system, not trying to guess if that was exactly what he was/will be doing.

In the end, we are all sorta gambling. Remember martingale betting is also a "system" no matter what the long term consecuences it probabilistically have.

JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
April 11, 2017, 02:06:03 AM

I don't want to break a record on the longest reply or something but also I don't like to leave a message without reply, so I won't go into a detailed quote.

Fair enough.  Sometimes these kinds of back and forth responses can become a bit unwieldy.

What I was trying to say is that if you have never lowered from a 85% IN bitcoin, that is some bet you have on longterm upwards movement.

Whatever you do with your 5-10-15% of trading stash is something else. You say that makes a big difference, I say it isn't that much of a difference. We can agree on that disagreement.

If you were doing what you do, with a BIGGER percentage of trading/hedging funds I would say the difference is bigger. In fact, if you are getting a considerable better benchmark on the trading of that 10%... maybe you should increase that percentage to make the difference (and the profits) bigger.

Maybe what I am saying (or trying to say), if I have not already said it, is that the whole framework is different when someone approaches the matter from a 100% trading perspective - versus my consideration of my perspective is like a largely accumulate and hold position with some systematic trading that merely offsets some of the extremes of the volatility.  I am not really striving to get rich in a kind of way that doubles my BTC holdings or anything like that because I am not inclined towards trading risks.  Therefore, I only trade smaller amounts, and even though my strategy has been decently successful, I feel NO real desire to double or triple down on it.  So, yeah, my ongoing bet is on up.. and I am investing for up... and continued up and assumed up... Yet, on the other hand, I am not really afraid to bet a little more on down if I am quite convinced that we have topped out.. and in this cycle, if the price were to shoot up to $5,000 in less than 3 months, for example, I would likely consider that prices are a bit "topped out" and cash out a bit on the gamble that prices are going to correct to some degree.

You are right in that I don't know what that guy system is or if he has system at all. I was just trying to give some example in how being 100% in/out can be done following some kind of system, not trying to guess if that was exactly what he was/will be doing.

In the end, we are all sorta gambling. Remember martingale betting is also a "system" no matter what the long term consecuences it probabilistically have.

I don't necessarily claim that my system is fool proof, and I doubt that my system is even as close to as systematic as Martingale betting - and possibly even the odds of martingale betting are better than my odds - in the long run.  So, I am not really arguing that my system has fool proof odds.  I am merely asserting that there is a considerable amount of difference between systems, and anyone who is betting 100% balls to the walls is playing a quite different system than I am playing - and it seems quite ridiculous to me to attempt to argue a minimization of the difference and to assert that alls systems are all the same (or nearly the same).
deepcolderwallet

Activity: 294
Merit: 103

View Profile
April 11, 2017, 02:10:23 AM

It would be nice if you started your postings with a tl;dr.
Just saying...

I don't necessarily claim that my system is fool proof, and I doubt that my system is even as close to as systematic as Martingale betting - and possibly even the odds of martingale betting are better than my odds - in the long run.  So, I am not really arguing that my system has fool proof odds.  I am merely asserting that there is a considerable amount of difference between systems, and anyone who is betting 100% balls to the walls is playing a quite different system than I am playing - and it seems quite ridiculous to me to attempt to argue a minimization of the difference and to assert that alls systems are all the same (or nearly the same).

savetherainforest

Activity: 1848
Merit: 609

Plant 1xTree for each Satoshi earned!

View Profile
April 11, 2017, 02:41:27 AM

[...]

I mean how can anyone see a pattern in this shit? Or math? Or moving averages? Its just 100% news based.

[...]

Basically what happened was that someone tried to manipulate and tried to push the price down. And instead of a minor expected correction, we suffered a wobble and a distortion. And the entity(s) that did this lost a lot of money in the process. And the slow growth that is happening now is a thing that most winners feel after winning, meaning "mercy" or some kind of hesitation to finish the job mercilessly with a cold and swift grip.  Cheesy  Cheesy
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
April 11, 2017, 03:47:05 AM

It would be nice if you started your postings with a tl;dr.
Just saying...

Nah.   If I did that, then there would be no reason for posters to complain.   Roll Eyes 

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.  Cool
STT
Legendary

Activity: 3962
Merit: 1424

Leading Crypto Sports Betting & Casino Platform

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2017, 04:16:24 AM

Its natural for there to be a pattern to price movement like the tide leaves a print in the sand, its not always clearly the same but its not as simple up down on news either.   Especially as much news is anticipated, its arguable future growth in bitcoin is already in the price now.   When you examine a chart especially forex do its in 4hr bars and you will match the influence from each part of the world better.

Im not sure how bitcoin is not fungible, doesn't that just require each part is interchangeable.  Bitcoin is a liquid system, able to retain its value even.  Its purpose or abilities is not different from the beginning ?

Price has again regularly stepped higher.  1240 to 55 is more resistance.  The chinese chart looks more accurate I think in that its sideways and from this it does not appear to be bitcoin will rise especially now, the late march high seems a reasonable point for it to rest.    Chinese yuan has done better as of late, which helps keep a lid on currency flows to alternates such as bitcoin.  $1100 I think is reasonable place for price to reset to on any falter or if leveraged speculation reduces
JohnUser

Activity: 1022
Merit: 725

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2017, 05:04:07 AM

[...]

https://s29.postimg.org/fcow91wpz/last_chart.jpg

I mean how can anyone see a pattern in this shit? Or math? Or moving averages? Its just 100% news based.

[...]

Basically what happened was that someone tried to manipulate and tried to push the price down. And instead of a minor expected correction, we suffered a wobble and a distortion. And the entity(s) that did this lost a lot of money in the process. And the slow growth that is happening now is a thing that most winners feel after winning, meaning "mercy" or some kind of hesitation to finish the job mercilessly with a cold and swift grip.  Cheesy  Cheesy

So it would be another entity that break 1200$ and still cold an switf grip! Or most likely the 1st one still try to down the price.
york780

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 11, 2017, 06:44:45 AM

[...]

https://s29.postimg.org/fcow91wpz/last_chart.jpg

[...]

Basically what happened was that someone tried to manipulate and tried to push the price down. And instead of a minor expected correction, we suffered a wobble and a distortion. And the entity(s) that did this lost a lot of money in the process. And the slow growth that is happening now is a thing that most winners feel after winning, meaning "mercy" or some kind of hesitation to finish the job mercilessly with a cold and swift grip.  Cheesy  Cheesy

So it would be another entity that break 1200$ and still cold an switf grip! Or most likely the 1st one still try to down the price.

:inserts LOTR meme: ''you have no power here"
I think that they cant keep the price down for now and that we will see a new ATH soon. But I also think that the bears are reloading their FUD guns an that we will insta crash like always when we reach such high prices.
Kramerc

View Profile
April 11, 2017, 06:53:16 AM

Still, there are bears lurking around who deny the existence of the uptrend and/or the bull market. First, we need to get rid of them completely, then enjoy going up on their money, then get the new bag holders coming in for our precious coins. Unless we start a very swift correction back below $800, which gets less and less likely by the day, I assume sunny days lie ahead of us.
tk3609

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

Small trader

View Profile
April 11, 2017, 07:20:09 AM

I personally think that it makes a big difference to bet 100% versus betting 90%, and to play around with the 90% in the system that I employ (and maybe you too with the something similar that you mention).

Only a 10% difference, even if it psycologicaly makes you have a much different perception.

Even though you are making a statement, here, I think that you are asking a question in a disbelieving manner.

The fact of the matter is that 10% makes a whole fucking lot of a difference in the way it plays out - even a few percentage points can make a considerable difference in approach.

And, it is not merely the 10%, but also the way that a person approaches a large number of investments and/or allocation of investments - in order to structure in a way that is either systematic - or on the other hand gambling.  There is a difference and sometimes it does not take a whole hell of a lot of funds in order to hedge in a systematic and strategic way rather than going into an investment in a kind of balls to the walls manner.

There is a mindset difference too, to gamble everything in one direction or another versus the hedging that does not cause as much of a betting behavior.

Yes, I agree in the mindset difference. But it is just that, a mindset difference, not a REAL difference.

Maybe we should just agree to disagree, even though this tends to be a common theme that I harp upon when posters here seem to be unnecessarily gambling with their bitcoins - and seem to be either unwilling or unable to recognize that there are safer and more systematic strategies.

In the end, I will admit that my overall approach is biased in favor of long term upwards price movements and relies upon a certain amount of ongoing volatility to increase its profitability.  Otherwise, the application of my whole systematic approach is almost non-thinking.  It is like the application of an algorithm (like a bot) to almost assuredly make money as long as you stick to the system.

That's it. You are "betting" on long term up direction, and you are doing it with 90% of your bitcoin allocated funds. It's no wonder you have had a great result overall for the past two years.

I don't think so.

Sometimes small differences in approach can cause a world of difference.

Even though I attempt to explain my system to people on an ongoing basis, I don't really criticize anyone who choses to merely exercise one side of the equation  and that is to buy and to accumulate.  That is one side of my particular equation  but does not result in more bitcoins and more money, it only results in more bitcoins, while investing more money.  My system results in more of both.

And with the 10% you have been basically scalping, which might have given you even better results. That's ok. But most of your great results are because of an "almost all in" bet in the right direction.

Sure, there are a variety of ways to tweak the system, and I am not suggesting any one-size-fits-all approach.  In the end, you have to tailor to your own situation - but any kind of playing with percentages and hedging is likely to play out better than attempting to go balls to the wall without any kind of clearly outlined system.

If this past two years the direction of price would have been downtrend.... you would have had a pretty poor result no matter the small 10% hedge you were using.

The first two years that I was in bitcoin, I did not sell any, and I only replaced when I sold - so I was in accumulation mode.  Yeah, if we return to a downtrend, then I will accumulate more bitcoins and I will not have as much cash, as I already said.  i am still prepared for either direction, even though my portfolio (as you said) does better when the price goes up in the long term because that is a built in assumption).  For example, once I started trading, my average buy price was about $510-ish, and then is currently below $400.. however, if the price were to return to below $300, then I would end up acquiring more than 15% more additional coins and my average price per coin would drop a bit -but the overall amount in the negative would be around 20% rather than 40% if I had not done anything.

In the end, the whole strategy that I employ is meant to provide decent protections in regards to volatility  and to take advantage of volatility while not guessing about price direction or gambling.

Maybe you have some of your various fucked up explanations to attempt to suggest that there is no difference, but in the end, relatively small amounts of hedging and systematic employment of incrementalism provides a lot of protections on the downside - even though it may not result in larger upside in the event that a person gambles correctly (which I think is a bigger risk to engage in ongoing gambling practices).

Without giving some kind of details regarding how the betting 100% one way or another works, it does not seem like that guy is employing any kind of system, except for luck and guessing.  So, maybe in the end, I need more details from that other guy regarding how he employs his seemingly guessing game system.  

He is employing a "system". He thought the price direction could be downwards and got all out.

Now, you are white knighting and speaking for someone else.  You are guessing.  

Yes, there could be ways that a person could systematically employ balls to the walls strategies, but in this particular case, you have no fucking clue, and you are guessing about the practices of someone else who has not explained whether or not he has any kind of strategy - beyond feelings and intuition.... which is hardly systematic.

If he is right, good for him, he will get all in when he deems appropiate price. If he is wrong... maybe he will also go all in (at a "loss") if he thinks the price will keep going upwards.

Maybe this, maybe that.  Sounds like guessing.

The only difference I appreciate is that you devote a 10% to sorta scalp and he doesnt. I like scalping.

Sure.   Call my system scalping or whatever, there can still be some variance in the way that different people employ it and even with myself, I continue to have some flexibility if I want to deviate somewhat from my own system - even though I tend to find that I largely stick with the system and only deviate in small ways from time to time - and I never really bet big (which continues to be a difference that you fail / refuse to appreciate and wants to argue about your failure/refusal to recognize).

I was a big time scalper in 2013 (with very good results btw), until I ended "all in" because the price came lower than I would sell any more nor invest one more buck. I just let it sit, until I started again buying (not selling) in 2015 after the dump to $300 right after the $500 spike.

Well, long term views about bitcoin could have changed the way that each of us attempted to employ our strategy (whether you call it scalping or otherwise).  Since you seem to have gotten into bitcoin before me, your strategy seems to have played out differently, but it could have also affected your ways of thinking about some of these matters.  I am not sure, yet it does seem that you and I have some difference in what we actually did when the price fell from $1200 to $200.  When the price was in the $600s and when the price was in the upper $300s, each time I made considerable investments because I thought that we had reached bottom.  I did not go 100% in, but I was pretty fucking close, and at that point, I mostly just had the tool of the dollar cost averaging to continue to buy on a regular basis for the period of time that prices were largely in the lower to mid $200s.  

So, yeah, maybe in the end, both you and I were in a similar place and running out of money and with a average cost of several coins that was higher than the then current price.

However, one thing that differed in my practice from yours is that I continued to buy throughout the nearly year long period that prices were below what I expected them to be.  Sure, I did not have as much money because I had anticpated higher prices, but I did not stop buying during that period of low prices.

But scalping/hedging with 10% is still 10%. Your result is mostly defined by the 90% you have in a bet of long term upside (which I also share, btw).

Again, I don't think so, and we seem to be kind of repeating ourselves and maybe even quibbling about some nuances.

In other words, he guesses on the direction of the prices and I do not... there is a whole hell of a lot of difference in those two kinds of systems and those two ways of thinking (even though you are trying to argue that they are almost the same, when they are not).

Of course you are "guessing/betting" on one direction. You are doing it with 90% of your allocated funds on upside move!

We don't agree.  The situation plays out differently, as I keep repeating.

In fact you are also doing it with the 10%.... Yes, you are reserving it in a bet on a possible downwards movement. Call it hedging, or whatever you want, but its also a guess/bet.... Otherwise you would be 100% on your feeling.

Again.  I try not to predict too much.  If the price goes down I buy and if the price goes up I sell.  Every once in a while I will throw a little more in one direction or another, but generally I attempt to refrain from any kind of meaningful guessing and I just attempt to apply the system and maybe tweak it a little way here and there depending on whether I believe that I am running out of funds  - and so that I do not run out of funds.

I recall that a couple of dips, I was at 98% and 2% and I had to engage in some tweaking of my holdings that was a little bit out of the system but an attempted to continue to have some dollars in case the price kept going lower... I had to tweak because I was running out.  I also recall tweaking at 92% to bring up my BTC allocation to 94% .. because I thought that I had too much cash and I was a bit more inclined to think that I did not have enough bitcoin in the event the price was going up.  These are tweakings that are based on a kind of gamble - but overall the large majority of the system is NOT playing around with guessing the market direction but instead employing a kind of algorithm (like a bot)

Maybe an example might help?    This is not exactly my whole system, but it is the main part of my system.

An example? Well, maybe you think that guy is all out and if the price keeps rising he will keep forever out.... But he can change its mind if price keeps rising an additional 10% and now he thinks it will keep rising for sure. Yes, he will have lose a 10% profit, but again, you also did for not being all in. So both of you are on par on that.

You can speak for yourself, but again comes off as white knighting if you are describing what the other guy is doing and what trigger points he might have.

In the end, I am just trying to say that we are all betting on up and down, no matter if you do with 100%, 90% or any other arbitrary percentage of funds.

No matter what, I am saying there is distinction with difference, and you seem to fail and refuse to recognize such distinction (whether you are not capable might be another story).

What is really important is that we don't do it with more than we can afford to lose/keep frozen for a long time.... if that happens, you are fucked big time.

We seem to agree about the point of not over investing, but some people figure out ways to employ margin trading too... which could be too much gambling for my tastes, but still there can be systematic ways to employ in a prudent way.

Let's say in my system, I begin trading with 10 coins, and BTC price are around $300, and I trade for 2 years with the same amount of coins and I use those proceeds from those trades to buy back.  For some reason, you would think that after 2 years, and reaching a 90% allocation, that once BTC prices reached $1,200 my system would cause me to have 9 coins and about $1,200?  Right?  But instead my system has allowed me to have 10 coins and $1,200 with the same amount of investment.  I don't know the math exactly, but for some reason, my system seems to have allowed me to maintain the same amount of coins and to stack dollars.  

Your system have been working for you because:

1) Mainly you have been almost all in, in a bull market.
2) YOu have been scalping, buying the dips and selling the spikes in a bull market.

If you would have been doing the same in a downtrend market you would feel very different about your system.

Again we are repeating.  I don't agree.

Personally, with the betting 100% system, I really don't think that systematically a person could have as much confidence to have the similar kinds of consistent results if he was continuously betting 100% in one direction or another.  In my opinion, just seems to be too much reliance on luck and too much reliance that at one point or another, the bet is going to go wrong which in the end causes long term losses rather than gains.

Oh, you don't need to always be right with a 100% betting system. You just need to be right more than 50% of the bets.

Fair enough.  Sometimes these kinds of back and forth responses can become a bit unwieldy.

Maybe what I am saying (or trying to say), if I have not already said it, is that the whole framework is different when someone approaches the matter from a 100% trading perspective - versus my consideration of my perspective is like a largely accumulate and hold position with some systematic trading that merely offsets some of the extremes of the volatility.  I am not really striving to get rich in a kind of way that doubles my BTC holdings or anything like that because I am not inclined towards trading risks.  Therefore, I only trade smaller amounts, and even though my strategy has been decently successful, I feel NO real desire to double or triple down on it.  So, yeah, my ongoing bet is on up.. and I am investing for up... and continued up and assumed up... Yet, on the other hand, I am not really afraid to bet a little more on down if I am quite convinced that we have topped out.. and in this cycle, if the price were to shoot up to $5,000 in less than 3 months, for example, I would likely consider that prices are a bit "topped out" and cash out a bit on the gamble that prices are going to correct to some degree.

I don't necessarily claim that my system is fool proof, and I doubt that my system is even as close to as systematic as Martingale betting - and possibly even the odds of martingale betting are better than my odds - in the long run.  So, I am not really arguing that my system has fool proof odds.  I am merely asserting that there is a considerable amount of difference between systems, and anyone who is betting 100% balls to the walls is playing a quite different system than I am playing - and it seems quite ridiculous to me to attempt to argue a minimization of the difference and to assert that alls systems are all the same (or nearly the same).

JohnUser

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2017, 10:08:04 AM

Lol

Price don't move so its a good reason to talk anything else than "to to moon" "btc is dead" "sell" "buy" "fomo" "$800" "$1500"
kurious
Legendary

View Profile
April 11, 2017, 10:29:38 AM

Lol

Price don't move so its a good reason to talk anything else than "to to moon" "btc is dead" "sell" "buy" "fomo" "$800" "$1500"

Not sure a post THAT long is justified Wink

I confess I find pages are way faster to catch up on if you ignore one or two posters here.
JohnUser

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2017, 11:51:35 AM

I didn't read it too.

But that picture from tk3609 really make me smile, it represent what i saw
kurious
Legendary

View Profile
April 11, 2017, 12:21:24 PM

I didn't read it too.

But that picture from tk3609 really make me smile, it represent what i saw

Agreed. Picture perfect!
Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
April 11, 2017, 02:25:01 PM

Kramerc

View Profile
April 11, 2017, 02:40:50 PM

Meuh6879, how about... "Nope!".
Pages: « 1 ... 16657 16658 16659 16660 16661 16662 16663 16664 16665 16666 16667 16668 16669 16670 16671 16672 16673 16674 16675 16676 16677 16678 16679 16680 16681 16682 16683 16684 16685 16686 16687 16688 16689 16690 16691 16692 16693 16694 16695 16696 16697 16698 16699 16700 16701 16702 16703 16704 16705 16706 [16707] 16708 16709 16710 16711 16712 16713 16714 16715 16716 16717 16718 16719 16720 16721 16722 16723 16724 16725 16726 16727 16728 16729 16730 16731 16732 16733 16734 16735 16736 16737 16738 16739 16740 16741 16742 16743 16744 16745 16746 16747 16748 16749 16750 16751 16752 16753 16754 16755 16756 16757 ... 33489 »
  Print  

Jump to: