May 05, 2024, 01:27:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 17659 17660 17661 17662 17663 17664 17665 17666 17667 17668 17669 17670 17671 17672 17673 17674 17675 17676 17677 17678 17679 17680 17681 17682 17683 17684 17685 17686 17687 17688 17689 17690 17691 17692 17693 17694 17695 17696 17697 17698 17699 17700 17701 17702 17703 17704 17705 17706 17707 17708 [17709] 17710 17711 17712 17713 17714 17715 17716 17717 17718 17719 17720 17721 17722 17723 17724 17725 17726 17727 17728 17729 17730 17731 17732 17733 17734 17735 17736 17737 17738 17739 17740 17741 17742 17743 17744 17745 17746 17747 17748 17749 17750 17751 17752 17753 17754 17755 17756 17757 17758 17759 ... 33324 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26372367 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 10212

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
September 13, 2017, 11:19:15 PM

Dead at the hands of the PBOC dynasty!
All my lay-friends who got in recently are bugging me, I told them sell or pray, these are galvanizing times

So when/where is the funeral?  Huh Huh  Grin

You are going to get yourself in a pickle if you are giving that kind of advice.

First you should attempt from giving any advice at all, but if you do give advice it should be to hodl or wait to buy.. you don't be so fucken dumb as to tell people to sell when the price dropped 25% already... 

Is that what you are doing?  Are you selling now?

Sometimes, I don't tell people what to do, but I will tell them what I am doing which is kind of a suggestion that they could consider something similar.. but in the end, they are on their own.  Every man for himself.. even if he is not a he.   Wink
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cmacwiz

Activity: 704
Merit: 270

View Profile
September 13, 2017, 11:52:51 PM

All my lay-friends who got in recently are bugging me, I told them sell or pray, these are galvanizing times

You are going to get yourself in a pickle if you are giving that kind of advice.

First you should attempt from giving any advice at all, but if you do give advice it should be to hodl or wait to buy.. you don't be so fucken dumb as to tell people to sell when the price dropped 25% already... 

Sometimes, I don't tell people what to do, but I will tell them what I am doing which is kind of a suggestion that they could consider something similar.. but in the end, they are on their own.  Every man for himself.. even if he is not a he.   Wink

Look, my strategy always yields consistent results. When btc goes down and everything is red it's all scary, so I just fear dump
And when it goes up up up, I try to snag some standing room only in the cargo bay of the rocket

savetherainforest

Activity: 1848
Merit: 609

Plant 1xTree for each Satoshi earned!

View Profile
September 14, 2017, 12:30:24 AM

Had to sell a bit to cover Q3 taxes and equipment. I hate selling on a dip, drat....

A sign of being overly invested.. in other words, you do not have your expenses projected out on a long enough timeline in order to provide you a large enough float.. whether that float needs to be $1k or $10k or $20k is something for you to determine ( but seems like you don't quite have it down, yet).  

I tend to project my expenses out a minimum of 6 months and frequently into the 18months or more timeline... so a lillie dip like this (and only for about 2 weeks) has not been going on long enough to cause anything close to cash flow pressures - Sure, if it goes on for 6 months or it goes down another 50%, then that could be another story for me, and I would want to start adjusting now for what could happen 6 months from now so I am not selling at the bottom, if that were the case.

hello JayJuanGee,
How do you know it will go down for 6 months or another 50%, before such event happens?  I have what I hope is a float of at least 4-6 years, which seems reasonable since we were in a prolonged bear market after 2013 and we should assume that history will repeat...  How do you avoid forced sales with only 6-18 months of float, based on the 2014-2016 bear market?

By the way I wish I could be confident about holding less float in fiat, but just a correction of a couple of weeks messes with my head since I decided to resign from my regular job/steady income since I became a high net-worth bitcoiner.

Kid... run! Cheesy Cheesy ... before JJG bullsh!ts you to death with a book written by him as thick as the bible! Cheesy Cheesy .. nvm... too late! He already wrote a page worth of your time of bs.! Smiley

The price is actually predictable.. if you check a few pages ago... there was a guy telling a week in advance that Fibonacci predicted it should go to ~3800$. And that is exactly what happened. And from my understanding, it was the last dip/correction. Now we wait for pwmp! Smiley

*edit(0):  Fibonacci was a mathematician that lived 800-900 years ago! Smiley
Torque
Legendary

Activity: 3556
Merit: 5041

View Profile
September 14, 2017, 12:39:15 AM

So combing through all the MSM web articles today, TIL two things:

1. Bitcoin is clearly a fraud and a pyramid scheme. Because Jamie Dimon said so. Average Joe, stay far away. Stay away, dammit! Please?!

2. They really REALLY want you buy the new iPhoneX. Because it's supposedly "awesome". And a "game changer". No really. Never mind that it costs $1K. Or that face recognition stuff where Apple will forever store your face recog profile in the cloud along with all your other personal info. I mean, no way that the NSA or hackers could get access to that info. Right? Sure, sure.
jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3164
Merit: 4345

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
September 14, 2017, 12:41:35 AM

Look, my strategy always yields consistent results.

giggle
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
September 14, 2017, 12:59:40 AM

2. They really REALLY want you buy the new iPhoneX. Because it's supposedly "awesome". And a "game changer". No really. Never mind that it costs $1K. Or that face recognition stuff where Apple will forever store your face recog profile in the cloud along with all your other personal info. I mean, no way that the NSA or hackers could get access to that info. Right? Sure, sure.

You seem to have either:
1) a fundamental misunderstanding of the (disclosed) details of how the face recog stuff works; or
2) insider knowledge which contradicts Apple's public statements.

Which is it?

Reminds me of all the false FUD surrounding the details of the inner workings of Apple Pay that used to circulate on this forum a year or two ago.
sirazimuth
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 3499

born once atheist

View Profile
September 14, 2017, 01:04:52 AM

Sometimes when i take a step back and looks at things, it feels totally insane to buy an internet token over 4000 dollars  Cheesy

It feels totally insane to buy one Bitcoin for only 4000 Fed tokens!

Fed tokens aren't what they used to be

Fed tokens? what ICO is that?  Wink Grin
Torque
Legendary

Activity: 3556
Merit: 5041

View Profile
September 14, 2017, 01:05:05 AM

You seem to have either:
1) a fundamental misunderstanding of the (disclosed) details of how the face recog stuff works; or

Which is it?

Reminds me of all the false FUD surrounding the details of the inner workings of Apple Pay that used to circulate on this forum a year or two ago.

Shut up troll
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2017, 01:19:05 AM

Look, my strategy always yields consistent results. When btc goes down and everything is red it's all scary, so I just fear dump
And when it goes up up up, I try to snag some standing room only in the cargo bay of the rocket

Best advice to give friends that want help with bitcoins is to have them send you the money to buy bitcoins directly from the source (wholesale, not that retail shit). Then e-mail them the public key with the amount of money they have in it. Tell them to hold at least 10 years and don't check that address too much because it overloads the system.
Wexlike
Legendary

Activity: 1473
Merit: 1086

View Profile
September 14, 2017, 01:53:16 AM

Tell them to hold at least 10 years and don't check that address too much because it overloads the system.

LOL, I really love you sometimes.  Cheesy
lightfoot
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 2239

I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)

View Profile
September 14, 2017, 02:04:32 AM

Had to sell a bit to cover Q3 taxes and equipment. I hate selling on a dip, drat....

A sign of being overly invested.. in other words, you do not have your expenses projected out on a long enough timeline in order to provide you a large enough float.. whether that float needs to be $1k or $10k or $20k is something for you to determine ( but seems like you don't quite have it down, yet). 

I tend to project my expenses out a minimum of 6 months and frequently into the 18months or more timeline... so a lillie dip like this (and only for about 2 weeks) has not been going on long enough to cause anything close to cash flow pressures - Sure, if it goes on for 6 months or it goes down another 50%, then that could be another story for me, and I would want to start adjusting now for what could happen 6 months from now so I am not selling at the bottom, if that were the case.

Incorrect. I run a business here, one that needs to pay for itself first. If I were to pay for things using pocket money then I would be essentially investing that in bitcoin, which is not my intent. Therefore when I have to buy supplies I batch withdraw some bitcoin and note it in the ledger. Same with taxes and such.

Besides this little dip is in the middle of the most amazing run ever. I don't try to time the market, I let the chips fall where they may.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
September 14, 2017, 02:21:35 AM

Incorrect. I run a business here, one that needs to pay for itself first. If I were to pay for things using pocket money then I would be essentially investing that in bitcoin, which is not my intent. Therefore when I have to buy supplies I batch withdraw some bitcoin and note it in the ledger. Same with taxes and such.

Besides this little dip is in the middle of the most amazing run ever. I don't try to time the market, I let the chips fall where they may.

I let my comments stand where they may, too, and it seems to make little to no difference that you are "running a business." 

The same principles apply regarding cashflow management and figuring out ways to minimize the need to make sales of a volatile asset at the potential bottom... that is if you have any kind of choice and control in structuring those kinds of matters... .. whether my comments apply to your situation or not, that is up to you to decide and apparently you are deciding that my comments do not apply to your situation.   I have no problem with that because you should know your situation better than anyone else, and I was merely commenting upon the situation that you seemed to have been presenting.

Further,  I understand that if you have a business that is structured to merely sell no matter what the price, then that seems to be a different story, and might not even warrant a comment in this thread because the business is set up that way, since in that kind of case you would have been selling no matter what the price... and just perhaps hoping the price would have been higher... but may not really matter, if you already set up the business in that kind of .. sell right away way.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 14, 2017, 02:22:00 AM

That's crazy, you should do it the JJG way.  Project your expenses 6 months from now and then sell at the top so you don't have to sell during a "lillie dip".  How hard is that?  If you don't have perfect market timing then you must be "overly invested".

Roll Eyes

Or just put him on ignore.  He is the first and only person I've ever ignored and it is blissful.  So arrogant and loves to see himself type.
fallinglantern

Activity: 260
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 14, 2017, 02:26:44 AM

Anyone has some correlation between price and difficulty at the ready?

They aren't directly correlated, but in the past couple years, the USD price per GH/s has not dropped much below 3E-07 USD/GH/s. Right now we're at 6.85E-07. Assuming price stays flat until the next difficulty jump, that would bring us to 5.8E-07. That's elevated, but within trend for April-July. Based on the historical floor of 3E-07, price shouldn't drop below $2340 USD.
Paashaas
Legendary

Activity: 3427
Merit: 4344

View Profile
September 14, 2017, 02:31:57 AM

After Bitstamp now Bit-Go is rolling out Segwit Smiley

https://blog.bitgo.com/transactions-are-getting-cheaper-segwit-now-on-bitgo-fe445e4f7f50
sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005

View Profile
September 14, 2017, 02:59:04 AM

I let my comments stand where they may, too, and it seems to make little to no difference that you are "running a business." 

The same principles apply regarding cashflow management and figuring out ways to minimize the need to make sales of a volatile asset at the potential bottom... that is if you have any kind of choice and control in structuring those kinds of matters... .. whether my comments apply to your situation or not, that is up to you to decide and apparently you are deciding that my comments do not apply to your situation.   I have no problem with that because you should know your situation better than anyone else, and I was merely commenting upon the situation that you seemed to have been presenting.

Further,  I understand that if you have a business that is structured to merely sell no matter what the price, then that seems to be a different story, and might not even warrant a comment in this thread because the business is set up that way, since in that kind of case you would have been selling no matter what the price... and just perhaps hoping the price would have been higher... but may not really matter, if you already set up the business in that kind of .. sell right away way.

Similar to miners which do not account for projected earnings its here and now. These other businesses are the same. Miner variance is too high which reduced decentralization in bitcoin which is a result of this phenomenon.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
September 14, 2017, 03:20:47 AM

That's crazy, you should do it the JJG way.  Project your expenses 6 months from now and then sell at the top so you don't have to sell during a "lillie dip".  How hard is that?  If you don't have perfect market timing then you must be "overly invested".

Roll Eyes

Or just put him on ignore.  He is the first and only person I've ever ignored and it is blissful.  So arrogant and loves to see himself type.

I would like to see myself type.... NOT  me.    Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Tongue
nanobtc

Activity: 601
Merit: 610

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2017, 03:34:36 AM

jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3164
Merit: 4345

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
September 14, 2017, 03:48:31 AM

You seem to have either:

Which is it?

wow...I been putting up with the bear at the pick-nick table too, but this...

wow, OK folks please google CV dazzle, also hijab? not such a bad idea as it turns out...
explorer
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1259

View Profile
September 14, 2017, 03:52:10 AM

Roll Eyes

LOL

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=178336.msg6090318#msg6090318
Pages: « 1 ... 17659 17660 17661 17662 17663 17664 17665 17666 17667 17668 17669 17670 17671 17672 17673 17674 17675 17676 17677 17678 17679 17680 17681 17682 17683 17684 17685 17686 17687 17688 17689 17690 17691 17692 17693 17694 17695 17696 17697 17698 17699 17700 17701 17702 17703 17704 17705 17706 17707 17708 [17709] 17710 17711 17712 17713 17714 17715 17716 17717 17718 17719 17720 17721 17722 17723 17724 17725 17726 17727 17728 17729 17730 17731 17732 17733 17734 17735 17736 17737 17738 17739 17740 17741 17742 17743 17744 17745 17746 17747 17748 17749 17750 17751 17752 17753 17754 17755 17756 17757 17758 17759 ... 33324 »
  Print  

Jump to: