May 09, 2024, 02:48:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 1743 1744 1745 1746 1747 1748 1749 1750 1751 1752 1753 1754 1755 1756 1757 1758 1759 1760 1761 1762 1763 1764 1765 1766 1767 1768 1769 1770 1771 1772 1773 1774 1775 1776 1777 1778 1779 1780 1781 1782 1783 1784 1785 1786 1787 1788 1789 1790 1791 1792 [1793] 1794 1795 1796 1797 1798 1799 1800 1801 1802 1803 1804 1805 1806 1807 1808 1809 1810 1811 1812 1813 1814 1815 1816 1817 1818 1819 1820 1821 1822 1823 1824 1825 1826 1827 1828 1829 1830 1831 1832 1833 1834 1835 1836 1837 1838 1839 1840 1841 1842 1843 ... 33335 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26380600 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
windjc
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 09:28:20 PM

O lawd how the mighty fall.  Hilarious to watch.

Funny how people think of something that could potentially be nefarious for bitcoin as hilarious.

Mtgox losing market share is hardly nefarious. Its great.

You are not still holding funds on Mtgox are you? Please say no.

Outside of Japan, only the bravest day trader (not the brightest, because they aren't even trading with margin) would spend anytime on Mtgox. It is the most expensive exchange with the worst customer service and obviously the worst underlying banks behind it.

There is no justifyable reason to trade or buy there.

A lot of USD users have funds stuck in Gox, whether they like it or not. Not everyone is able to precisely time the market to get out with a minimal loss. Nor can whales justify selling at a big loss on bitstamp. If they were to go down, a lot of funds would go with them, and that would only confirm the dangerous nature of ANY bitcoin exchange to potential newcomers, scaring them off. So yes, I think it would be nefarious to bitcoin as a whole if the largest exchange were to go down. Maybe you should look at the bigger picture of all this.

I personally applaud Gox for sticking through all of this. Even though they are not transparent, I believe they have no choice in doing so. If they were to make an announcement detailing all of the bank problems/lawsuits they are tangled up in, it would most probably cause a market panic. I believe that behind the scenes, they are making strides to solve all of this. Remember, Bitstamp is in just as big of a danger to have their accounts closed at the whim of new regulation coming through in regards to bitcoin. From what I've read Gox is trying to obtain bank status, which could potentially solve all of their problems. Contrary to Bitstamp, which is operating in conjunction with a bank.

A lot of USD users have funds stuck in Gox?  Why? They have had ample time to buy BTC, move the BTC to another exchange and sell for a profit. The market is up over $100 in the last month. If they have $$ in Mtgox its because of a combination of greed and/or stupidity.

Whales can't justify a big loss? A big loss of 5% (a loss that is actually off the top of their profits, not an actual loss)? Really? Come on. Again, only greed and or stupidity would make that true.

The exchange going down?  Why would that happen? They are making profits every day. There are helluva lot of Japanese traders in Mtgox getting their money within 3-5 days. I've personally spoken to many of them.

As far as Bitstamp is concerned, I believe they have already stated that they have redundancy in their banking.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
MAbtc

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 09:28:53 PM

A little push into 215, a little push back to 210. Back and forth we go.

FTWbitcoinFTW

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 09:29:04 PM

Totally bitcoin relative : http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/oct/31/man-80-fights-bear-survives
mah87
Donator

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

-Bitcoin & Ripple-

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 09:33:21 PM

related ?
SheHadMANHands
Legendary

Activity: 1168
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 09:34:50 PM

A lot of USD users have funds stuck in Gox?  Why? They have had ample time to buy BTC, move the BTC to another exchange and sell for a profit. The market is up over $100 in the last month. If they have $$ in Mtgox its because of a combination of greed and/or stupidity.

Whales can't justify a big loss? A big loss of 5%? Really? Come on. Again, only greed and or stupidity would make that true. Plus the ONLY way to lose is to have not sold and gone to another exchange while waiting maybe at the MOST a week in between.

The exchange going down?  Why would that happen? They are making profits every day. There are helluva lot of Japanese traders in Mtgox getting their money within 3-5 days. I've personally spoken to many of them.

As far as Bitstamp is concerned, I believe they have already stated that they have redundancy in their banking.

No one has money "stuck on Gox".  That's the biggest load of horseshit that people keep pushing.  Gox fiat has had ample opportunities to get off (the current spread with Coinbase is like 3%) and people aren't doing it.  If anything, there's been selling pressure on Gox the last few days.  The spread with Stamp has consistently been under 5%.

Also, to the "whales justifying loss" point (not disagreeing with you), any whale who deposited fiat on Gox several months ago and took a 5% loss today (by selling on Stamp, say) would still be up quite a bit.  Probably a shit ton.  There wouldn't be any "big loss".  We're trading over $200 again after all.
windjc
Legendary

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 09:38:52 PM

Whales can't justify a big loss? A big loss of 5%? Really? Come on. Again, only greed and or stupidity would make that true. Plus the ONLY way to lose is to have not sold and gone to another exchange while waiting maybe at the MOST a week in between.

No one has money "stuck on Gox".  That's the biggest load of horseshit that people keep pushing.  Gox fiat has had ample opportunities to get off (the current spread with Coinbase is like 3%) and people aren't doing it.  If anything, there's been selling pressure on Gox the last few days.  The spread with Stamp has consistently been under 5%.

Also, to the "whales justifying loss" point (not disagreeing with you), any whale who deposited fiat on Gox several months ago and took a 5% loss (by selling on Stamp, say) would still be up quite a bit.  Probably a shit ton.  There wouldn't be any "big loss".  We're trading over $200 again after all.

Right. It makes no sense.

In my opinion, the ONLY reason people still talk about Mtgox (and the SAME reason this thread is 100x longer than the Bitstamp thread) is that early adapters used Mtgox for years.  So they identify Mtgox with Bitcoin. The same way some people identified Silk Road with Bitcoin. People, like myself who found Bitcoin in 2013 don't equate Bitcoin with either.

Mtgox to me is a joke. And people's obsession with it is antiquated at best.
ardana123

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 09:39:13 PM

Also, to the "whales justifying loss" point (not disagreeing with you), any whale who deposited fiat on Gox several months ago and took a 5% loss today (by selling on Stamp, say) would still be up quite a bit.  Probably a shit ton.  There wouldn't be any "big loss".  We're trading over $200 again after all.

Assuming everyone was able to make a profit out of that rise, which is just not true. Sure they were able, but did they take the chance?
windjc
Legendary

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 09:41:02 PM

Assuming everyone was able to make a profit out of that rise, which is just not true. Sure they were able, but did they take the chance?

Why not? People weren't able to buy and hold BTC as it went up? They weren't able to cancel their fiat withdrawals that were sitting there for weeks on end?

Again, they only have themselves to blame at this point. Mtgox is becoming a niche Japanese exchange. A year from now it will probably have less than 5% market share.
Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 2121

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 09:42:06 PM

Time to close this thread and open a generic wall thread?
samson
Legendary

Activity: 2097

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 09:44:00 PM

Time to close this thread and open a generic wall thread?

I suspect there will be a MtGox wall thread as long as there's an MtGox with walls.
gandhibt

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 09:49:36 PM

People want that this thread shall be renamed to: "Wall Observer". That's it, plain and simple. Adam?
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 09:50:46 PM

Funny how people think of something that could potentially be nefarious for bitcoin as hilarious.

Outside of Japan, only the bravest day trader (not the brightest, because they aren't even trading with margin) would spend anytime on Mtgox. It is the most expensive exchange with the worst customer service and obviously the worst underlying banks behind it.

A lot of USD users have funds stuck in Gox, whether they like it or not. Not everyone is able to precisely time the market to get out with a minimal loss. Nor can whales justify selling at a big loss on bitstamp. If they were to go down, a lot of funds would go with them, and that would only confirm the dangerous nature of ANY bitcoin exchange to potential newcomers, scaring them off. So yes, I think it would be nefarious to bitcoin as a whole if the largest exchange were to go down. Maybe you should look at the bigger picture of all this.

I personally applaud Gox for sticking through all of this. Even though they are not transparent, I believe they have no choice in doing so. If they were to make an announcement detailing all of the bank problems/lawsuits they are tangled up in, it would most probably cause a market panic. I believe that behind the scenes, they are making strides to solve all of this. Remember, Bitstamp is in just as big of a danger to have their accounts closed at the whim of new regulation coming through in regards to bitcoin. From what I've read Gox is trying to obtain bank status, which could potentially solve all of their problems. Contrary to Bitstamp, which is operating in conjunction with a bank.

Whales can't justify a big loss? A big loss of 5% (a loss that is actually off the top of their profits, not an actual loss)? Really? Come on. Again, only greed and or stupidity would make that true.

I see you guys saw my post in reddit Tongue

Upvote for more visibility http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1pn16k/the_tide_is_turning_3d_average_volume_1st/
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 09:54:13 PM

People want that this thread shall be renamed to: "Wall Observer". That's it, plain and simple. Adam?

please this Smiley

fine by me. There's the bitstamp wall observer thread, but I think we can easily have a general one.

Just need to get used to quote prices along with exchange.
ChartBuddy
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1776

1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 10:02:28 PM

SheHadMANHands
Legendary

Activity: 1168

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 10:07:35 PM

I see you guys saw my post in reddit Tongue

Upvote for more visibility http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1pn16k/the_tide_is_turning_3d_average_volume_1st/

Ya I stole it.  Smiley

Thanks for posting it.
maz

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 10:25:54 PM

Are you guys saying gox is risky because its going to die soon or simply because you cant get fiat out? I have fiat in but im buying btc when times right so withdraw is no concern. But if its about to topple then i might buy and transfer :/
dserrano5
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 10:26:13 PM

In my case it isn't greed or stupidity but not wanting to give mi ID to another exchange. Gox has my dox and I've been trading there for 2+ years without ever losing a bitcent, hack included. On top of that, I only store decent amounts of fiat there on mid-term bearish trends—the rest of the time I sleep with most coins under the pillow and I trade with a small quantity. Of course, for new money I buy at localbitcoins or bitcoin.com.es (spanish trader), which have sensibly better prices.
MAbtc

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 10:29:12 PM

How do bulls feel if we don't break $216 here? Looking like a triple top, then, yes?
windjc
Legendary

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 10:30:33 PM

In my case it isn't greed or stupidity but not wanting to give mi ID to another exchange. Gox has my dox and I've been trading there for 2+ years without ever losing a bitcent, hack included. On top of that, I only store decent amounts of fiat there on mid-term bearish trends—the rest of the time I sleep with most coins under the pillow and I trade with a small quantity. Of course, for new money I buy at localbitcoins or bitcoin.com.es (spanish trader), which have sensibly better prices.

There you go. Fair enough. Although I suspect if you could start over youd probalby rather have your fiat on another exchange. One you could actually get out of in fiat if your wanted to. One with lower trading rates.
MAbtc

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 10:49:56 PM

I think if we can't break through $216 on this run, we may find ourselves re-testing $204 support.  Cheesy

Pages: « 1 ... 1743 1744 1745 1746 1747 1748 1749 1750 1751 1752 1753 1754 1755 1756 1757 1758 1759 1760 1761 1762 1763 1764 1765 1766 1767 1768 1769 1770 1771 1772 1773 1774 1775 1776 1777 1778 1779 1780 1781 1782 1783 1784 1785 1786 1787 1788 1789 1790 1791 1792 [1793] 1794 1795 1796 1797 1798 1799 1800 1801 1802 1803 1804 1805 1806 1807 1808 1809 1810 1811 1812 1813 1814 1815 1816 1817 1818 1819 1820 1821 1822 1823 1824 1825 1826 1827 1828 1829 1830 1831 1832 1833 1834 1835 1836 1837 1838 1839 1840 1841 1842 1843 ... 33335 »
  Print  

Jump to: