May 03, 2024, 10:23:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 28106 28107 28108 28109 28110 28111 28112 28113 28114 28115 28116 28117 28118 28119 28120 28121 28122 28123 28124 28125 28126 28127 28128 28129 28130 28131 28132 28133 28134 28135 28136 28137 28138 28139 28140 28141 28142 28143 28144 28145 28146 28147 28148 28149 28150 28151 28152 28153 28154 28155 [28156] 28157 28158 28159 28160 28161 28162 28163 28164 28165 28166 28167 28168 28169 28170 28171 28172 28173 28174 28175 28176 28177 28178 28179 28180 28181 28182 28183 28184 28185 28186 28187 28188 28189 28190 28191 28192 28193 28194 28195 28196 28197 28198 28199 28200 28201 28202 28203 28204 28205 28206 ... 33318 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26371308 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
somac.
Legendary

Activity: 2056
Merit: 1188

Never selling

View Profile
February 22, 2021, 04:02:45 AM
Merited by vapourminer (1)

These people who sell are always a step ahead. After 8 years of hodling I was ready to sell my first small amount BTC (not the one I bought Oct 2020) at $59444. And they knew many people will sell at 59k ish so they started the sell off at 57k  Roll Eyes Now I will rethink if I sell below $99k  Cool

How about don't sell at all. At these price levels, there are ways to make an income of 10s of thousands USD a month on your exsisting stash without selling. This applies to stashes under 10 BTC too. Life is good at these levels.

Fuck third-party custody, if you are considering or enticed by anything that involves that.

There are some concepts in bitcoin.. the real deal bitcoin, that incentives are built in, so bitcoin is already designed to increase in value.. .what the fuck more do you need, you greedy fucks (#nohomo) who may well be seriously considering placing your coins with some stupid-ass service trying to claim legitimacy and enticing you with supposed "passive income" .. blah blah blah..

Did I say, "fuck that?"  Don't be fucking trying to short-cut your BTC accumulation goals by thinking that you can "make money" using convoluted (surprise terms) contracts when if you accumulate adequately, then you will have way more options just living off the likely ongoing BTC price appreciation that has no real signs of stopping, even though it it is likely to continue to have up and down cycles along the way.. and you can take advantage of that in your long term planning and your refusal to take stupid-ass shortcuts that may well end up screwing you out of your coins by hook or by crook or just by bad luck (such as great price moves that liquidate you out of your supposed collateral that you were not able to adequately cover because you were to fucking busy gambling out of greed).

You will thank me later, even if you might not be able to measure what you are thanking me for, exactly...  Wink

The thing you fail to grasp is that by selling covered call options to fund my lifestyle and purchases I will not be reducing my stack, In fact it will even help me accumulate more then I could before. What's more, I don't have to risk keeping my BTC on the exchange to still have it fully cover my calls. I can use margin so that those coins are kept in my own wallet (not the exchange). A little diversification is not a bad thing, especially when you don't have to sell BTC from your stack to do it.

I think the trouble some of you have with this may be a lack of understanding/experience with derivatives in general. I can get almost 10% per month with covered calls, and my counter-party exchange risk is reduced by using margin. Yes its slightly risky, yes you might miss out on some capital gains, but in the long term it will do pretty fucking well. I’ve done covered calls among other options strategies for years in the legacy markets and I can tell you right now these premiums are amazing in comparision.

Thank you? your kidding right? If I had listened to you my stack would have been reduced substantially with your constant insistence of selling BTC on the way up. Now that's a stupid strategy. I can assure you my stack will be much larger at 200k then it is now. The only people to thank around here are the ones that tell you to never sell any of your BTC, unless there is an emergency.

Let me help you, and others that might consider listening to you, out. First let me introduce Exhibit A - https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mt._Gox https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/BTC-e etc etc etc... and read up on exit scams. Oh you want to hedge your counter party risk by running on a margin? That's cute, let me introduce Exhibit B https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_crash oh you claim to make 120%/yr?  Roll Eyes this brings me to Exhibit C https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=50822.0 & https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitconnect

Looking at Deribit, in order to get 10% premium for March 26 calls you need to sell at $60k strike, meaning that if in 1 month BTC goes up by anything over 7% you'll loose some of your BTC (or as you claim "miss out on some capital gains"). Now you just have to do it consistently every month, and hope Deribit doesn't go the way of Gox.

Currently the golden standard seems to be BlockFi that pays just 3%/yr (above BTC2.5) https://blockfi.com/rates/ if you believe you can get considerably more (like 117% more) without taking on additional risk, i got a bridge to sell you

Look, there are many different investing strategies, some may be right for you and others not. For me, I no longer want to sell any of my stash (Like you and many others here do), but I would also like to retire, right now.

Covered calls is how I can retire and it is a legitimate strategy that has been done for decades in markets of all types. It produces income, and sometimes, some capital gains. I'm prepared to let the other 99% of assets to go for only capital gains while 1% is dedicated to income. I also want a way to generate an income in a downwards market (BTC does this sometimes), this strategy allows it.

I really can't understand the hatred that my strategy seems to generate in you and others. I am now more of a hodler than most people because of it, and I always assumed that is what we liked to do around here. Hodl as many coins as possible and for as long as possible.

Yes there is risk, I guess I'm just not as risk adverse as you and others here are.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 3859

View Profile
February 22, 2021, 04:06:17 AM
Merited by somac. (2)

Looking at Deribit, in order to get 10% premium for March 26 calls you need to sell at $60k strike, meaning that if in 1 month BTC goes up by anything over 7% you'll loose some of your BTC (or as you claim "miss out on some capital gains"). Now you just have to do it consistently every month, and hope Deribit doesn't go the way of Gox.

mtgox and blockfi aside (you are correct there, imho), why 60K and why all the time in Deribit?
Why selling here now as some people have done instead of picking your potential sell price (75, 100, 200) and lock in an additional premium?
Big whoop if you lock in premium at 200 and it goes to 300.
Of course, nobody says anything about doing it with the whole stash-well maybe somebody does it, but it ain't me.
I haven't done diddly-squat yet, kind of kicking the tires right now.
Peeps with a large stash should have talked to a fin advisor who understand these types of strategies

If you do this with the whole stash, then you better use even more advanced strategies using futures, etc.
planB (or preston pysh?) is saying that hedgies are on the hook for 1.5 bil already selling futures and buying same amount of spot btc, of vice versa, I don't recall.
Apparently, it is 20% yearly return with practically no risk. It is caused by a significant contango in btc futures..

I think laser eyes
Just like Dogecoin is just a
Cheesy Twittard meme.

wait a minute, we are just having some fun despite our age (more advanced for some of us).
something about never being too old to be young (and maybe a bit stupid).
what else can we do-show some helicopters?  Grin
somac.
Legendary

Never selling

View Profile
February 22, 2021, 04:11:55 AM

If you do this with the whole stash, then you better use even more advanced strategies using futures, etc.
planbB (or preston pysh?) is saying that hedgies are on the hook for 1.5 bil already selling futures and buying same amount of spot btc, of vice versa, I don't recall.
Apparently, it is 20% yearly return with practically no risk. It is caused by a significant contango in btc futures..

The futures strategy is no risk because it is a perfect hedge. Easily done through CBOE and CME as well. If anyone has a bunch of fiat not doing anything that they want to generate a yield on, this is a great strategy.
600watt
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 2106

View Profile
February 22, 2021, 04:28:14 AM

If you have at least double the btc you need to attain your objective, why not earn 4.5% on your btc with half, or even 1/10th?

Because I'd rather not wake up to find half my stash has been goxxed?

We seem to be getting a lot of tards in here lately, suggesting what a great idea it is to leave our coins on at best shady lending platforms that promise 4-5% interest annually on coins you leave with them.

I’d rather get punched in the crown jewels than let anybody else control my stash.

you are right and i merited your answer.

in the long run the entire lending and borrowing of bitcoin/bitcoin as collateral landscape will mature and solid and reliable companies will evolve. lending and borrowing is finance. there will be ways found for the best/hardest money ever created to be part of this without risking them. this will be the final nail in the fiat coffin.

hodlers will just not need to ever sell the most pristine collateral ever existed.

hodlers will earn interest owning the best money ever existed.

all of that without risking keys!

in a few yers from now, selling bitcoin will be a rare event. the protocol will ossify. and so will hodler stashes.

Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
February 22, 2021, 04:29:52 AM

This is not yet another cycle, this is the End of Cycles

The one where after BTC flippens gold it doesn't flip back

The one where web3 supercedes web2

Where culture is collected and accrued digitally instead of physically

Where life is lived mindfully rather than mindlessly

https://twitter.com/zhusu/status/1363035740507017216

--------

At first it sounded bearish to me, until I unerstood what is meant. Since its creation Bitcoin went through several severe bear periods between the halvings. But what if the mass adoption has increased so much  that no such bear periods of 80%+ crashes from tha last ATH are possible? We see the first sign for that - unlike any other period of 12 months, there was only one 30% correction and two 20% corrections. What if this is a sign that such long periods of lack of interest from the big investors  are no longer possible? The implications on any sell strategy involving considerations of the previous cycles will be hugely negative. I mean if someone is selling with the hope of buying 80% cheaper, this may turn to be a total disaster with some 30-40% dips occurring here and there. Not only that, but this will make any unnecessary major sell from our stash to be a big mistake. This tweet predicts more than a supercycle, rather an infitite bull market. Well, this may look unrealistic now, but certainly the probability for that is not 0 as some may think based on previous experience. And sometimes the past experience may be misleading.

I 'suspect' that 'everything' is going to correct once people see the reality of the hole that Trump/the pandemic and the economic issues have caused...

thus I see a 30% correction in frigging everything BTC/crypto/stocks/property you name it. Reality sucks and people will have to come to terms with such.

MY GUESS is BTC will correct 30% or more..and just sit around $30 to $40k in the next 3 years till the next halving and then repeat the cycle as in the past

of going 'ape sh*t' FOMO 5x or more around the next halving..that is my 'worst' case....assuming adoption is where I figure this all and the obvious reasons

to get crypto in these times. I suspect that if I'm wrong, I'm really, really wrong and BTC will go to over $100k as a haven for the exact same reasons

I said everything above was gonna tank. But, we've seen this FOMO before with BTC big highs then retreat a few years...next halving comes along and repeats.

Anyway, my expectations are past patterns...my HOPE is that it blows the doors-off the rest of the economy as my 'supposed' 30% correction above guess

indicates. Man, BTC is like 'angry' sex..when it is good it is really good...when it is 'bad' well it is nothing to walk away from either. Smiley

Good thing I a 'stubborn' asshole....sh*t sure got real from the like $9,300 BTC price of July 2020! Sheesh! Anyway, above is how I'm 'trying' to

manage my expectations...probably futile..but sh*t to do. Smiley

Brad

600watt
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 2106

View Profile
February 22, 2021, 04:37:17 AM
Merited by xhomerx10 (1)

I think laser eyes
Just like Dogecoin is just a
Cheesy Twittard meme.

you guys are just salty because i got the cyklops mother of all laser eyes since the beginning of my hat career.  Cheesy
DaRude
Legendary

Activity: 2778
Merit: 1791

In order to dump coins one must have coins

View Profile
February 22, 2021, 04:54:18 AM
Merited by JayJuanGee (1)

These people who sell are always a step ahead. After 8 years of hodling I was ready to sell my first small amount BTC (not the one I bought Oct 2020) at $59444. And they knew many people will sell at 59k ish so they started the sell off at 57k  Roll Eyes Now I will rethink if I sell below $99k  Cool

How about don't sell at all. At these price levels, there are ways to make an income of 10s of thousands USD a month on your exsisting stash without selling. This applies to stashes under 10 BTC too. Life is good at these levels.

Fuck third-party custody, if you are considering or enticed by anything that involves that.

There are some concepts in bitcoin.. the real deal bitcoin, that incentives are built in, so bitcoin is already designed to increase in value.. .what the fuck more do you need, you greedy fucks (#nohomo) who may well be seriously considering placing your coins with some stupid-ass service trying to claim legitimacy and enticing you with supposed "passive income" .. blah blah blah..

Did I say, "fuck that?"  Don't be fucking trying to short-cut your BTC accumulation goals by thinking that you can "make money" using convoluted (surprise terms) contracts when if you accumulate adequately, then you will have way more options just living off the likely ongoing BTC price appreciation that has no real signs of stopping, even though it it is likely to continue to have up and down cycles along the way.. and you can take advantage of that in your long term planning and your refusal to take stupid-ass shortcuts that may well end up screwing you out of your coins by hook or by crook or just by bad luck (such as great price moves that liquidate you out of your supposed collateral that you were not able to adequately cover because you were to fucking busy gambling out of greed).

You will thank me later, even if you might not be able to measure what you are thanking me for, exactly...  Wink

The thing you fail to grasp is that by selling covered call options to fund my lifestyle and purchases I will not be reducing my stack, In fact it will even help me accumulate more then I could before. What's more, I don't have to risk keeping my BTC on the exchange to still have it fully cover my calls. I can use margin so that those coins are kept in my own wallet (not the exchange). A little diversification is not a bad thing, especially when you don't have to sell BTC from your stack to do it.

I think the trouble some of you have with this may be a lack of understanding/experience with derivatives in general. I can get almost 10% per month with covered calls, and my counter-party exchange risk is reduced by using margin. Yes its slightly risky, yes you might miss out on some capital gains, but in the long term it will do pretty fucking well. I’ve done covered calls among other options strategies for years in the legacy markets and I can tell you right now these premiums are amazing in comparision.

Thank you? your kidding right? If I had listened to you my stack would have been reduced substantially with your constant insistence of selling BTC on the way up. Now that's a stupid strategy. I can assure you my stack will be much larger at 200k then it is now. The only people to thank around here are the ones that tell you to never sell any of your BTC, unless there is an emergency.

Let me help you, and others that might consider listening to you, out. First let me introduce Exhibit A - https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mt._Gox https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/BTC-e etc etc etc... and read up on exit scams. Oh you want to hedge your counter party risk by running on a margin? That's cute, let me introduce Exhibit B https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_crash oh you claim to make 120%/yr?  Roll Eyes this brings me to Exhibit C https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=50822.0 & https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitconnect

Currently the golden standard seems to be BlockFi that pays just 3%/yr (above BTC2.5) https://blockfi.com/rates/ if you believe you can get considerably more (like 117% more) without taking on additional risk, i got a bridge to sell you

Look, there are many different investing strategies, some may be right for you and others not. For me, I no longer want to sell any of my stash (Like you and many others here do), but I would also like to retire, right now.

Covered calls is how I can retire and it is a legitimate strategy that has been done for decades in markets of all types. It produces income, and sometimes, some capital gains. I'm prepared to let the other 99% of assets to go for only capital gains while 1% is dedicated to income. I also want a way to generate an income in a downwards market (BTC does this sometimes), this strategy allows it.

I really can't understand the hatred that my strategy seems to generate in you and others. I am now more of a hodler than most people because of it, and I always assumed that is what we liked to do around here. Hodl as many coins as possible and for as long as possible.

Yes there is risk, I guess I'm just not as risk adverse as you and others here are.

Well for one, you're preaching to Not Your Keys, Not Your Coins crowd here. Sure if you want to play with 1% of your stash go ahead, just don't try to claim (or fool yourself into thinking) that making 40x the return of BlockFi is somehow low risk, just because you don't see the risk doesn't mean it's not there.

planbB (or preston pysh?) is saying that hedgies are on the hook for 1.5 bil already selling futures and buying same amount of spot btc, of vice versa, I don't recall.

The futures strategy is no risk because it is a perfect hedge. Easily done through CBOE and CME as well. If anyone has a bunch of fiat not doing anything that they want to generate a yield on, this is a great strategy.

Now 20% with no risks and a perfect hedge? ELI5
somac.
Legendary

Never selling

View Profile
February 22, 2021, 05:03:47 AM

I think explaining anything to you is not a good use of my time, however, that is an investment that you might be more interested in as it is perfectly suited to those who hold fiat, rather than bitcoin, and don't want to expose themselves to the risk of capital gains or losses.
d_eddie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 2899

View Profile
February 22, 2021, 05:08:03 AM
Merited by vapourminer (1), Biodom (1)

https://blog.bitmex.com/how-to-arbitrage-bitcoin-futures-vs-spot/

Mr. Hayes's blog is, as I said, an excellent source of technical info.

The rope provided there might turn into a tool to hang oneself, or into a lifeline for conversion of excess corn/fiat into income without selling.

The rule "no risk, no profit" remains solid IMHO. However, not all risks are equal, and being able to quantify risk is a precious, if difficult to acquire, skill.
Heater

Activity: 403
Merit: 360

View Profile
February 22, 2021, 05:53:40 AM
Merited by JayJuanGee (1)

Thank you for saving me the time to write a response.

I can't believe people are so greedy that holding BTC is not enough for them. It's not hard folks - buy and hold.  That's it! No need to overcomplicate it.

dieselmeister

Activity: 546
Merit: 290

View Profile
February 22, 2021, 07:30:37 AM

Nexo (i mentioned it here) pays 5% interest per year on your BTC.
AlcoHoDL
Legendary

Activity: 2366
Merit: 4149

Addicted to HoDLing!

View Profile
February 22, 2021, 07:32:17 AM

+1 in Merit Queue.
macson

Activity: 1008
Merit: 141

View Profile
February 22, 2021, 08:04:06 AM

Bitcoin's fast train is unstoppable....miss the dip "lol"

https://twitter.com/zined87150109/status/1363446185202188300?s=21

Another Sunday,
Thinking before HODLsleep...
Dude wants laser eyes.

Cool Grin

Is this what you had in mind?

amazing f*cking Legend hat....legend with the laser....oohh shitt that awesome Shocked
dieselmeister

Activity: 546
Merit: 290

View Profile
February 22, 2021, 08:18:47 AM

Good Morning BTCLand ... We saw a decline this night. But I got this explained. We went basically back to the rate of friday from the CME, also F2Pool thrown out 3600 BTC again. So hopefully they are for now out of money and we are back on Track to the 59k (maybe).
So Michael can start his "buy bot" for $2k every Second Wink muhahaha
machasm

Activity: 784
Merit: 796

View Profile
February 22, 2021, 08:29:24 AM
Merited by vapourminer (1), xhomerx10 (1), AlcoHoDL (1)

The storing of coins on third party platforms is too risky in my book.
Many of us here remember what happened at Mt.Gox and other shady platforms.
The model of obtaining interest on your BTC is unsustainable in a world where bitcoin has a finite supply.
Think about it, if everyone held all the coins in existence where are the new coins coming from to pay the interest?
The only way this works is if a form of fractional reserve lending takes place and then we are in the same boat we are scrambling to get out of.
Furthermore, these platforms go on to provide ammunition for shorters.
I think that there comes a point when people become too greedy. Why risk your precious BTC which is growing in value at an astronomical rate, for a measly single digit APR?
AlcoHoDL
Legendary

Addicted to HoDLing!

View Profile
February 22, 2021, 08:46:29 AM
Merited by Gyrsur (2)

The model of obtaining interest on your BTC is unsustainable in a world where bitcoin has a finite supply.
Think about it, if everyone held all the coins in existence where are the new coins coming from to pay the interest?
The only way this works is if a form of fractional reserve lending takes place and then we are in the same boat we are scrambling to get out of.
I think that there comes a point when people become too greedy. Why risk your precious BTC which is growing in value at an astronomical rate, for a measly single digit APR?

Exactly. This perfectly links to one of my earlier posts, in which I claimed that many "Bitcoin supporters" here in WO, and elsewhere, are fiat supporters in reality. They don't understand or care about the qualities of Bitcoin and its deeper purpose. All they really care about is milking it for fiat profit, by using the very tools and schemes (read fractional reserve lending) that Bitcoin is trying to kill (and it's winning). Greed is the main driving force in all this. It saddens me to see that many of the enemies of Bitcoin come from within its user base.

Not to worry though. Bitcoin has been designed to withstand such actions. Everyone is welcome to try anything. There are no restrictions. And everyone will face the consequences of their actions. It will be brutal.

+1 in Merit Queue.
HairyMaclairy
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 2174

Degenerate bull hatter & Bitcoin monotheist

View Profile
February 22, 2021, 08:56:30 AM

Not your keys, not your Bitcoin
OutOfMemory
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 2995

Man who stares at charts

View Profile
February 22, 2021, 08:58:53 AM

looks like going down a bit.
buy order set at $54.321.
I don't know, but somehow i don't want it to get filled this time.
Gyrsur
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 1518

Bitcoin Legal Tender Countries: 2 of 206

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2021, 09:05:36 AM

this DeFi stuff will not age well. in my eyes it's DIY Goldman Sachs. few earn money big from the many which will pay for it.

please explain the Business Plan and let all the fancy technology stuff behind. and then we can decide if it is Scam or not. don't let the technology be your religion. for every solution there must be an issue in existence. otherwise you will fight an issue with the wrong solution.
AlcoHoDL
Legendary

Addicted to HoDLing!

View Profile
February 22, 2021, 09:11:30 AM

looks like going down a bit.
buy order set at $54.321.
I don't know, but somehow i don't want it to get filled this time.

I like the .321 part (also couples nicely with the 54). I used to put orders like this back in 2016. You could spot them easily in the order tables. I even used .314 and other important numbers like that.

No more orders for me now. In 100% HoDL mode, and soon (possible when we exceed $100k) switching to "dream-fulfillment" mode. One dream at a time. One of the first dreams will be a good mirrorless APS-C/full-frame camera and a couple of good lenses.
Pages: « 1 ... 28106 28107 28108 28109 28110 28111 28112 28113 28114 28115 28116 28117 28118 28119 28120 28121 28122 28123 28124 28125 28126 28127 28128 28129 28130 28131 28132 28133 28134 28135 28136 28137 28138 28139 28140 28141 28142 28143 28144 28145 28146 28147 28148 28149 28150 28151 28152 28153 28154 28155 [28156] 28157 28158 28159 28160 28161 28162 28163 28164 28165 28166 28167 28168 28169 28170 28171 28172 28173 28174 28175 28176 28177 28178 28179 28180 28181 28182 28183 28184 28185 28186 28187 28188 28189 28190 28191 28192 28193 28194 28195 28196 28197 28198 28199 28200 28201 28202 28203 28204 28205 28206 ... 33318 »
  Print  

Jump to: