May 21, 2024, 04:54:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 7757 7758 7759 7760 7761 7762 7763 7764 7765 7766 7767 7768 7769 7770 7771 7772 7773 7774 7775 7776 7777 7778 7779 7780 7781 7782 7783 7784 7785 7786 7787 7788 7789 7790 7791 7792 7793 7794 7795 7796 7797 7798 7799 7800 7801 7802 7803 7804 7805 7806 [7807] 7808 7809 7810 7811 7812 7813 7814 7815 7816 7817 7818 7819 7820 7821 7822 7823 7824 7825 7826 7827 7828 7829 7830 7831 7832 7833 7834 7835 7836 7837 7838 7839 7840 7841 7842 7843 7844 7845 7846 7847 7848 7849 7850 7851 7852 7853 7854 7855 7856 7857 ... 33370 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26386942 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
Hunyadi
Legendary

Activity: 1281
Merit: 1000

☑ ♟ ☐ ♚

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 03:56:35 PM

bulls still don't get it! the bubble has not been "pushed back". it's not going to happen!

people aren't going to magically start investing billions of dollars into bitcoin in November or whenever you'd like to believe just because of some bullshit numerology.

Yet another newbie knows it better!  Shocked

oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 03:56:45 PM

I couldn't explain it better than a member of the Slovenian Bitcoin Association, so I am quoting his post.

The conclusion is that price will stay unstable due to increasing adoption? I'm not so sure. At least it need not rise proportionally to adoption... One quite simple way to look at this is Fisher's formula for velocity of money: M * V = P * T.

M is money supply (fixed in case of bitcoin), T is num of transactions (rising in orders of magnitude). So to keep the equation balanced, the price (P) can rise but so can V (velocity of money, "frequency at which one unit of currency is used to purchase domestically-produced goods and services within a given time period"). Velocity has so far in history been rather stable, but given the usefulness of bitcoin for transactions (not very disputed even among critics), I wouldn't dare say V for bitcoin is going to be stable or at the same approximate level as for regular fiat money.

That's why I'm uneasy about projections like "the use of bitcoin will increase 1000x, therefore the price will rise 1000x". I believe the first part, but I don't think the second part follows necessarily.

Not a completely bad point, but in order to compensate for growing adoption, V would need to keep on rising. Exponentially, to compensate for exponentially rising adoption/usage. Not likely. Probably impossible in fact, considering the technical limitations and tradeoffs of the network.

In a thread a while ago, I made a (relatively simplistic) argument that, if Bitcoin is used as a method for Internet payments (and only for that) on the order of yearly Paypal volume today - a comparably modest goal, I'm sure you'll agree - and making a few extremely conservative estimates for the necessary parameters involved (including V), we arrive at a valuation of around $2000 per unit. The single biggest not-so-conservative assumption I am making is that those transactions are actually taking place on chain, not off chain, which could be an (unfortunate, because trust requiring) development.

(Link to my post, the calculation is under Addendum #2)

Back to the topic: I set V_year = 10, which is a conservative value considering that actual velocity of Bitcoin is probably a lot lower currently.  M1's V_year seems to be able to reach into the range of 10 (WP link), but usually is lower, so if the Bitcoin network would be stable anywhere 10 it'd be a) pretty efficient, and b) the argument you mention, that increased adoption and usage doesn't lead to proportionally higher valuation, doesn't hold.
mmitech
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

things you own end up owning you

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 03:58:16 PM

I couldn't explain it better than a member of the Slovenian Bitcoin Association, so I am quoting his post.

The conclusion is that price will stay unstable due to increasing adoption? I'm not so sure. At least it need not rise proportionally to adoption... One quite simple way to look at this is Fisher's formula for velocity of money: M * V = P * T.

M is money supply (fixed in case of bitcoin), T is num of transactions (rising in orders of magnitude). So to keep the equation balanced, the price (P) can rise but so can V (velocity of money, "frequency at which one unit of currency is used to purchase domestically-produced goods and services within a given time period"). Velocity has so far in history been rather stable, but given the usefulness of bitcoin for transactions (not very disputed even among critics), I wouldn't dare say V for bitcoin is going to be stable or at the same approximate level as for regular fiat money.

That's why I'm uneasy about projections like "the use of bitcoin will increase 1000x, therefore the price will rise 1000x". I believe the first part, but I don't think the second part follows necessarily.

pretty sure he means price will rise more then use, which is true, it will probably go twice as high as it should.

Cheesy Cheesy being a perma-bull made you blind, what he is saying is crystal clear let me repeat it:

ChartBuddy
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1778

1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 03:59:36 PM

Explanation
Chuckee

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 04:00:24 PM

bulls still don't get it! the bubble has not been "pushed back". it's not going to happen!

people aren't going to magically start investing billions of dollars into bitcoin in November or whenever you'd like to believe just because of some bullshit numerology.

http://www.firstpeople.us/pictures/bear/1600x1200/High_Five-1600x1200.jpg

I clearly do since I've been warning you all for weeks about the impending downtrend and nobody listen!
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2014, 04:03:06 PM

pretty sure he means price will rise more then use, which is true, it will probably go twice as high as it should.

Cheesy Cheesy being a perma-bull made you blind, what he is saying is crystal clear let me repeat it:

thats only true if poeple use bitcoin purely as way to transact.... this is FAR from relaitly

and because of this

1000x increased users = 10,000X price incress

i think he gets that

I wouldn't dare say V for bitcoin is going to be stable or at the same approximate level as for regular fiat money.

he can't be suggesting that people will want to spend BTC b4 fiat....
mmitech
Legendary

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 04:03:07 PM

Not a completely bad point, but in order to compensate for growing adoption, V would need to keep on rising. Exponentially, to compensate for exponentially rising adoption/usage. Not likely. Probably impossible in fact, considering the technical limitations and tradeoffs of the network.

In a thread a while ago, I made a (relatively simplistic) argument that, if Bitcoin is used as a method for Internet payments (and only for that) on the order of yearly Paypal volume today - a comparably modest goal, I'm sure you'll agree - and making a few extremely conservative estimates for the necessary parameters involved (including V), we arrive at a valuation of around $2000 per unit. The single biggest not-so-conservative assumption I am making is that those transactions are actually taking place on chain, not off chain, which could be an (unfortunate, because trust requiring) development.

Back to the topic: I set V_year = 10, which is a conservative value considering that actual velocity of Bitcoin is probably a lot lower currently.  M1's V_year seems to be able to reach into the range of 10 (WP link), but usually is lower, so if the Bitcoin network would be stable anywhere 10 it'd be a) pretty efficient, and b) the argument you mention, that increased adoption and usage doesn't lead to proportionally higher valuation, doesn't hold.

the only way to know how this theory will work in reality is to sit-back and watch how things will develop, although it would be really hard to get "real" numbers, but estimates could do as well.
Hunyadi
Legendary

Activity: 1281

☑ ♟ ☐ ♚

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 04:03:16 PM

Yet another newbie knows it better!  Shocked

I clearly do since I've been warning you all for weeks about the impending downtrend and nobody listen!
Date Registered:    Today at 01:56:52 AM

Oh, those telepathic messages  Grin
fonsie

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 04:06:33 PM

So this is another scam account from fallling?
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 04:07:52 PM

V will be lower in a Bitcoin world than in a fiat world.

Right now inflation artificially increases V by encouraging currency holders to spend today rather than lose purchasing power tomorrow.
dropt
Legendary

Activity: 1512

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 04:10:39 PM

So this is another scam account from fallling?

i would say so.
oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 04:10:43 PM

the only way to know how this theory will work in reality is to sit-back and watch how things will develop, although it would be really hard to get "real" numbers, but estimates could do as well.

Agreed. But to highlight the main point of my argument (like you did in yours :D) - we don't know yet exactly what V_year for the network will be, in the long run. If it's very low, theoretically per unit price would go up - only, it wouldn't because it would mean the network is too inefficient (at least a payment method). If it's very high, that'd depress unit price, but it'd be an incentive to use, because it would be efficient. The only thing that is unlikely enough to call it impossible is that V could somehow "outgrow" even moderate adoption - considering that right now, we are actually seeing the opposite problem, that is: the unsolved question how to make Bitcoin scale to size as a global transaction network (block size limit being the main point here, to my knowledge).
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2014, 04:14:00 PM

last chance to buy below 500?
Phillis

Activity: 404
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 04:15:47 PM

likely, i'd like to see a nice short squeeze and i am anticipating one.
Threebits

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 04:16:28 PM

-----------
That's quite advisory. Increasing user was not the only element for price, velocity is as well. If user increases and circulation quickens, price will not necessarily increase! Anyone comment on this?

abercrombie
Legendary

Activity: 1159

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 04:16:44 PM

óÔÔò ʕ·͡ᴥ·ʔ óÔÔò
mmitech
Legendary

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 04:19:00 PM

V will be lower in a Bitcoin world than in a fiat world.

Right now inflation artificially increases V by encouraging currency holders to spend today rather than lose purchasing power tomorrow.

what does that mean  P= (M * V)/T assuming that the velocity will be much lower and transactions much higher then the price will:

a) stay somehow stable if transactions and adoption are almost equal.
b) rise slowly, with no bubbles whatsoever if the adoption is slightly more than the transactions.
c) can even drop a bit if adoption slow down and current holders start using it as a currency

which confirm the theory above "the use of bitcoin will increase 1000x, therefore the price will rise 1000x, I believe the first part, but I don't think the second part follows necessarily", dont you think ?
Painful Truth

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 04:19:30 PM

That´s the spirit!

It is still weekend though.
Wandererfromthenorth

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 04:20:28 PM

Whatever happens to BTC and cryptocurrencies, whether you're rich or broke, it's interesting and exciting to be a part of this whole thing.
mmitech
Legendary

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 04:22:24 PM

Agreed. But to highlight the main point of my argument (like you did in yours Cheesy) - we don't know yet exactly what V_year for the network will be, in the long run. If it's very low, theoretically per unit price would go up - only, it wouldn't because it would mean the network is too inefficient (at least a payment method). If it's very high, that'd depress unit price, but it'd be an incentive to use, because it would be efficient. The only thing that is unlikely enough to call it impossible is that V could somehow "outgrow" even moderate adoption - considering that right now, we are actually seeing the opposite problem, that is: the unsolved question how to make Bitcoin scale to size as a global transaction network (block size limit being the main point here, to my knowledge).

I still dont get how the price will rise if V is low, P= (M * V)/T means the greater V is the greater the price is, isn't it ? the case when the price will be high: if Transactions are low and both or one M or V rise greater than T.
Pages: « 1 ... 7757 7758 7759 7760 7761 7762 7763 7764 7765 7766 7767 7768 7769 7770 7771 7772 7773 7774 7775 7776 7777 7778 7779 7780 7781 7782 7783 7784 7785 7786 7787 7788 7789 7790 7791 7792 7793 7794 7795 7796 7797 7798 7799 7800 7801 7802 7803 7804 7805 7806 [7807] 7808 7809 7810 7811 7812 7813 7814 7815 7816 7817 7818 7819 7820 7821 7822 7823 7824 7825 7826 7827 7828 7829 7830 7831 7832 7833 7834 7835 7836 7837 7838 7839 7840 7841 7842 7843 7844 7845 7846 7847 7848 7849 7850 7851 7852 7853 7854 7855 7856 7857 ... 33370 »
  Print  

Jump to: