Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 09:49:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Multipool - the pool mining pool (with source code)  (Read 48209 times)
zaphod

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 11:02:57 PM

Questions on pool hopping strategy:

Why not always go to the pool with the lowest number of shares?  It would seem (at first blush) that this would result the highest returns overall.  Intuitively this would seem to be the best way to capture disproportionately large shares.

Also, adding smaller pools could work if your server could pull equally from the X lowest pools where X could be configured based on the overall hashrate of the metapool.  I understand the concern about these pools dying, but the flip side is that contributions from the metapool may sustain more of them, since the pool owners really only care to make their fee.

Just some thoughts.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tschaboo

Activity: 42

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 11:41:17 PM

Why not always go to the pool with the lowest number of shares?  It would seem (at first blush) that this would result the highest returns overall.  Intuitively this would seem to be the best way to capture disproportionately large shares.

There are not only proportional pools involved. Slush has a scoring method, bitcoinpool has a fine if you leave too early, etc. So it's more complicated to calculate. I guess if all pools would be proportional and have the same fee structure that approach would work.

Also, adding smaller pools could work if your server could pull equally from the X lowest pools where X could be configured based on the overall hashrate of the metapool.  I understand the concern about these pools dying, but the flip side is that contributions from the metapool may sustain more of them, since the pool owners really only care to make their fee.

I agree. Most pools publish their cumulative hash rate. So there could be a limitation like "don't put in more than an additional 50% of their usual hashrate". That doesn't solve the problem though if you choose a pool which has no reputation and runs away with the BCN...
zaphod

Activity: 28

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 11:58:51 PM

There are not only proportional pools involved. Slush has a scoring method, bitcoinpool has a fine if you leave too early, etc. So it's more complicated to calculate. I guess if all pools would be proportional and have the same fee structure that approach would work.

Right, so you probably need to eliminate them from the rotation.

I agree. Most pools publish their cumulative hash rate. So there could be a limitation like "don't put in more than an additional 50% of their usual hashrate". That doesn't solve the problem though if you choose a pool which has no reputation and runs away with the BCN...

True, obviously you can't just do any old pool, but there seem to be a number of 10-100Gh/s, low fee, proportional pools right now that are solving blocks and paying out...
muyoso

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 01:38:56 AM

Been down now for eight and a half hours.

I drink it up!
iopq

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 01:40:54 AM

Not a good introduction to the pool.  Ridiculously long delay between submitting shares and receiving a reward and now the pool is down and apparently has been for over an hour.  I wanted to believe but idk, gotta switch back to something more concrete.

The delay is due to the way this pool works. It can't pay you before it receives payments from the other pools. Sure, the "earned" display could update sooner, but that's just cosmetic.

The pool has had quite a few downtimes. Either you accept it or you move to another pool that doesn't exploit other pools. (Or you do it better. Wink )

Thanks for the info.  I can accept the delay in payments, but you say there are quite a few downtimes?  Making 10% more than I should is awesome, unless my miners sit idle 10% of the time. . .
I run two pools, multipool at f 30 and a backup pool at f 60 so it doesn't matter if it goes down
muyoso

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 02:05:41 AM
Last edit: June 27, 2011, 03:14:55 AM by muyoso

I run two pools, multipool at f 30 and a backup pool at f 60 so it doesn't matter if it goes down

Just setup something similar.

Edit:  Now 10 hours of downtime.  At this point I just want to see if my 18 hours of mining was a complete waste or not.  Last I saw I had .01BTC from that 18 hours.

I drink it up!
jdebunt
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2011, 04:32:20 AM

is this even going to get up again or not? been almost 12 hours now....
JDog

Activity: 19

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 04:41:52 AM

I agree, I was so excited about finding this pool and less than 1/2 day later it's MIA.
shamen

Activity: 52

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 09:11:39 AM

completely dead here for ages.

gutted. Had submitted 15,000 shares to that.
muyoso

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 10:43:58 AM

OK, I gotta ask since my first experience with this pool was yesterday and its been down for over 15 and a half hours now.  Is this is a scam?  Will I see anything from my over 10,000 shares submitted? 

I drink it up!
iopq

Activity: 658

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 10:47:53 AM

OK, I gotta ask since my first experience with this pool was yesterday and its been down for over 15 and a half hours now.  Is this is a scam?  Will I see anything from my over 10,000 shares submitted? 
I got paid when it was up fwiw
gentakin

Activity: 98

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 10:50:05 AM

It sucks for me too, as I have no backup pool now. Let's hope my primary won't go offline. However I have a lot of confidence in the pool operator. He's probably unable to restart the server now for whatever reasons. Let's hope he gets back soon. Smiley

edit: oh, and I was paid correctly (daily) back when it was still up. It makes no sense for the operator to run with our money, as it's max. 1 day worth of our mining work. He could get a constant fee if this keeps working, which is probably more.

1HNjbHnpu7S3UUNMF6J9yWTD597LgtUCxb
shamen

Activity: 52

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 10:55:12 AM

I did get paid a small amount from this pool. Nothing compared to what was submitted as everything was 'pending'. So maybe ill get some when its back.
muyoso

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 10:59:05 AM

edit: oh, and I was paid correctly (daily) back when it was still up. It makes no sense for the operator to run with our money, as it's max. 1 day worth of our mining work. He could get a constant fee if this keeps working, which is probably more.

Well thats at least good to hear.

I drink it up!
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2011, 11:31:25 AM

Up til yesterday I'd been paid 1.1 to 1.5 * what I'd expect, with about a day's delay over a two week period Not a scam, and I've gotten more from this pool than anyother (compared to difficulty) even taking downtimes into account.

No doubt Multipool will get things back up asap.

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
enmaku

Activity: 742

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 05:11:00 PM

OP if you're reading this, please get multipool back up! I've got 3 GH/s to point your way but I can't if you're down!
muyoso

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 05:40:43 PM
Last edit: June 27, 2011, 10:44:02 PM by muyoso

Over 24 hours down without a word from OP. . . . . .  Not looking good.  Could have had a third of a bitcoin at deepbit using PPS with those 10k shares.

Edit:  28 hours down.

Edit2: 30 hours down.

I drink it up!
enmaku

Activity: 742

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 10:43:02 PM

First ever mining pool ponzi scheme?
muyoso

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 10:48:06 PM
Last edit: June 27, 2011, 10:59:59 PM by muyoso

My first thought was that the OP may be dealing with some family or personal issue, but then I thought, what a coincidence that the site would crash at the same time.  So yea, pretty sure at this point it was a scam.  Thank god I used a unique password for this site.  Too bad I lost over 10k shares.  Won't trust any new site again.

I have a theory.  I bet someone found a block while mining solo and he decided to take the 50BTC and all of the pending payouts and run.  

BTW, I am continually amazed that I am seemingly the only one pissed about this.  9 pages of people talking about using this pool and apparently I was actually the only one using it.

I drink it up!
superweb

Activity: 36

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 11:24:54 PM

My first thought was that the OP may be dealing with some family or personal issue, but then I thought, what a coincidence that the site would crash at the same time.  So yea, pretty sure at this point it was a scam.  Thank god I used a unique password for this site.  Too bad I lost over 10k shares.  Won't trust any new site again.

I have a theory.  I bet someone found a block while mining solo and he decided to take the 50BTC and all of the pending payouts and run.  

BTW, I am continually amazed that I am seemingly the only one pissed about this.  9 pages of people talking about using this pool and apparently I was actually the only one using it.

still to early to say it was scam. Also used it few days with several shutdowns. Get paid a little of my earnings allready(about 0,06 of 0,25), but why should anybody do this kind of programing work to achieve few day's bank, while he may make less for much lomger time? It is just too young project to make any conclusion. It can still be a hosting problem, as many developers uses "home housing" for the first phase of project(eg. before it makes enought to pay the profihousing for)
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: