Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 12:51:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it time to get rid of Linux/JavaScript/Python kids?  (Read 6910 times)
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2013, 12:01:27 PM
Last edit: June 07, 2013, 02:22:55 PM by organofcorti

[ ... ]
Me, I prefer a layered approach to the NAP as a practical matter. [ ... ]

I prefer the sunday siesta approach to the NAP myself. Anyway, all this talk about sleep methodology is OT.

Now where were we in this thread again? Oh, that's right. Let the slagfest continue!

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

You are WRONG!

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 01:58:24 PM

No. It doesn't. It offends you. Speech in public has no bearing on your actions, save what you make of it. Thoughts are not evil in themselves, and the transmission of them is how people are naturally equipped to interact. Aggression is ACTION, not speech.
So you are classifying speech/communication as inaction then?

So yelling "allahu akbar" like a crazy in a crowed train station, and thereby cursing panic, is inaction? Cool, good to know!

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2013, 02:23:52 PM

No. It doesn't. It offends you. Speech in public has no bearing on your actions, save what you make of it. Thoughts are not evil in themselves, and the transmission of them is how people are naturally equipped to interact. Aggression is ACTION, not speech.

So yelling "allahu akbar" like a crazy in a crowed train station, and thereby cursing panic, is inaction? Cool, good to know!

Yelling "allahu akbar", is fine. Acting crazy and appearing dangerous is not.

kokjo
Legendary

You are WRONG!

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 02:44:24 PM

are you telling me how to act? are you limiting my actions?

may i not dress up in a jacket filled with red sausages, and open it while yelling that i love god in a foreign language in a crowed train station?

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 2610

In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2013, 02:46:04 PM

may i not dress up in a jacket filled with red sausages, and open it while yelling that i love god in a foreign language in a crowed train station?
That does sound dangerous though. In some countries this is called public disturbance. Anything that falls into this category isn't acceptable in these kind of countries.

kokjo
Legendary

You are WRONG!

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 02:49:01 PM

That does sound dangerous though. In some countries this is called public disturbance. Anything that falls into this category isn't acceptable in these kind of countries.
yes, but we are talking NAP without a state here.

organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2013, 02:51:09 PM

It will be extremely dangerous for you if I'm there. I'm an atheist with an addiction to hotdogs.

mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 2610

In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2013, 03:28:56 PM

It will be extremely dangerous for you if I'm there. I'm an atheist with an addiction to hotdogs.

Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826

amarha

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 07:12:49 PM

I've been trying to see what CIYAM can do for me.  Though, CIYAM is like a boxed templating engine.  No coding.  So...fail when it comes to thinking out of the box.

What I have created is something that is very new - there is no coding because there is no need for it - it is not *templating* in any sense that people are familiar with at all.

If you take a look at "Intentional Software" then you might begin to get a glimpse of what that CIYAM platform is about. It can actually create basically any "arbitrary" code you like without you needing to hand-code it.

Imagine templates that are combined with templates many levels deep and some can be as simple as a logical expression such as x = x + y. If you can grasp this then you'll begin to realise that CIYAM is absolutely *nothing* like anything you have seen before.

I'm not sure I quite understand what you're going for here. Which I guess is to be expected, since like you say, it's not like anything we've seen before. How is CIYAM different than say, Wordpress, or some other CMS? I did watch the slide show.
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 10:13:02 PM

I am 12 and what is this?
I've seen these posters before - they exist to do nothing but build up a high post count and then scam someone. That's all I'm going to say on this.

In other news, this is now an uptime thread! Consider the following:
Code:
[root@mail1 ~]# uptime
 17:04:40 up 974 days,  5:51,  1 user,  load average: 0.06, 0.03, 0.00
Code:
[root@web2 rjk]# uptime
 17:15:12 up 556 days, 48 min,  1 user,  load average: 1.56, 1.23, 1.23
Code:
[root@web4 rjk]# uptime
 17:15:56 up 466 days,  1:19,  1 user,  load average: 1.11, 1.05, 1.06
Code:
[root@db1 rjk]# uptime
 17:16:42 up 313 days, 17:09,  1 user,  load average: 0.25, 0.36, 0.35

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1255

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 10:37:24 PM

Code:
26/05/2013 00:55:51

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
Tonko (OP)

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 12:31:44 AM

I am 12 and what is this?
I've seen these posters before - they exist to do nothing but build up a high post count and then scam someone. That's all I'm going to say on this.

In other news, this is now an uptime thread! Consider the following:
Code:
[root@mail1 ~]# uptime
 17:04:40 up 974 days,  5:51,  1 user,  load average: 0.06, 0.03, 0.00
Code:
[root@web2 rjk]# uptime
 17:15:12 up 556 days, 48 min,  1 user,  load average: 1.56, 1.23, 1.23
Code:
[root@web4 rjk]# uptime
 17:15:56 up 466 days,  1:19,  1 user,  load average: 1.11, 1.05, 1.06
Code:
[root@db1 rjk]# uptime
 17:16:42 up 313 days, 17:09,  1 user,  load average: 0.25, 0.36, 0.35

Thanks for supporting my point with the case of your brain.
rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 01:37:33 AM

Thanks for supporting my point with the case of your brain.
Would you care to support your point with the uptime statistics of your non-linux servers supporting your customers? Oh right - Microsoft can't be arsed to create a server OS whose updates don't require a reboot. Note: I am intentionally ignoring BSD, Solaris, etc since he likely has never heard of them.

I feel your pain, I also administer a couple Windows servers that have to be rebooted monthly for patches, but they are in a lesser capacity that can stand some downtime.

The Linux kernel is nothing short of a work of art, in my own personal opinion. If our site has downtime, it is solely the fault of ourselves (for deploying code with bugs) or our hardware (for failing catastrophically). The Kernel can even survive a total failure of certain hardware parts such as processor and RAM, when in a hardware mirrored configuration. As far as I know, Windows doing so without at least a BSOD to show for it is unheard of.

And furthermore, even Microsoft knows the superiority of Linux and its associated components in a high-availability server environment - they use it themselves! It's a very poor practice to completely absolve oneself of one OS or another, or programming language, or anything else - each has its strengths and weaknesses.

Now I will stop feeding the troll, since I have had my say. Can anyone say "forum sliding tactics"?  Roll Eyes

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2013, 02:20:53 AM

Wow, the speed with which this thread has degenerated into mudslinging is impressive.

Full disclosure: I use Python. On Linux.

Linux is gr8
gcc C++
win32 Xwindow
potato potAto
wtv
i code in C++ / Win32 Lean And Mean;
Got a good GUI / TOOLS lib going  Smiley

Is it time to get rid of Linux/JavaScript/Python kids?
Linux kids gonna grow up!
let it be

Tonko (OP)

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 04:56:05 AM

Would you care to support your point with the uptime statistics of your non-linux servers supporting your customers? Oh right - Microsoft can't be arsed to create a server OS whose updates don't require a reboot.

If you reread the OP (which you misquoted) I was really talking about the application software and languages, not OSes.
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1255

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 09:03:05 AM

Would you care to support your point with the uptime statistics of your non-linux servers supporting your customers? Oh right - Microsoft can't be arsed to create a server OS whose updates don't require a reboot.

If you reread the OP (which you misquoted) I was really talking about the application software and languages, not OSes.
And what's your opinion? Are you OK with Linux>windows?

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
RichG

Activity: 434

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 11:48:27 PM

My home machine:

Code:
rich@rich ~/Downloads/cgminer $ uptime
 18:48:24 up 2 days, 18:01,  4 users,  load average: 0.62, 0.78, 1.25

My server (hosted in NM):

Code:
[rich@rich ~]$ uptime
 16:25:11 up 78 days, 16:14,  1 user,  load average: 0.17, 0.09, 0.08

Tonko (OP)

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 04:16:06 AM

And what's your opinion? Are you OK with Linux>windows?

My opinion? I am a troll, since I don't bow to PC Linux Gods, remember?

What does my opinion matter?

As long as I think most of Linuxies/JavaScript/Python kids are retards that should flip burgers at McDonalds, its will never matter.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 05:33:22 AM

So Tonko's entire argument is that we should mass genocide against coders who don't use the tools that he prefers?

"Any tool can be the right tool."

Tonko (OP)

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 05:46:05 AM

So Tonko's entire argument is that we should mass genocide against coders who don't use the tools that he prefers?

"Any tool can be the right tool."

Idiotic generalizations. Yeah, you can build a computer from chopsticks as well. Maybe even with a tape and frog legs. Retard!

I guess lamenting against crappy coders using crappy tools is not politically correct when it comes to retarded.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: