Bitcoin Forum
July 05, 2024, 10:13:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Police State?  (Read 25857 times)
Viceroy

Activity: 924
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 01:07:29 AM

ter·ror·ism  
/ˈterəˌrizəm/
Noun
The use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims.

Where did you get that silly definition?

Terrorism = "the systematic use of terror especially as a means of coercion"  and for people who's native language is NOT english:  "the use of violent acts to frighten the people in an area as a way of trying to achieve a political goal "

Here's a concise encyclopedia description:

Systematic use of violence to create a general climate of fear in a population and thereby to bring about a particular political objective. It has been used throughout history by political organizations of both the left and the right, by nationalist and ethnic groups, and by revolutionaries. Although usually thought of as a means of destabilizing or overthrowing existing political institutions, terror also has been employed by governments against their own people to suppress dissent; examples include the reigns of certain Roman emperors, the French Revolution (see Reign of Terror), Nazi Germany, the Soviet Union under Stalin, and Argentina during the “dirty war” of the 1970s. Terrorism's impact has been magnified by the deadliness and technological sophistication of modern-day weapons and the capability of the media to disseminate news of such attacks instantaneously throughout the world. The deadliest terrorist attack ever occurred in the United States on Sept. 11, 2001 (see September 11 attacks), when members of al-Qaeda terrorist network hijacked four commercial airplanes and crashed two of them into the twin towers of the World Trade Center complex in New York City and one into the Pentagon building near Washington, D.C.; the fourth plane crashed near Pittsburgh, Pa. The crashes resulted in the collapse of much of the World Trade Center complex, the destruction of part of the southwest side of the Pentagon, and the deaths of some 3,000 people.  Thank you Mr Webster.

Police don't have political aims, moron, they are anti-political.  Now the FOP might be political but police officers are civil servants and prevented from being "political".  Of course you already knew that, didn't you mr rhodes scholar?  No terrorism here (how could there be, it's our word!).  Next.
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2013, 01:32:12 AM

ter·ror·ism  
/ˈterəˌrizəm/
Noun

Where did you get that silly definition?

http://bit.ly/11xjDQ0

But we can use yours just as well.
Terrorism = "the systematic use of terror especially as a means of coercion"  and for people who's native language is NOT english:  "the use of violent acts to frighten the people in an area as a way of trying to achieve a political goal "

Here's a concise encyclopedia description:

Systematic use of violence to create a general climate of fear in a population and thereby to bring about a particular political objective. It has been used throughout history by political organizations of both the left and the right, by nationalist and ethnic groups, and by revolutionaries. Although usually thought of as a means of destabilizing or overthrowing existing political institutions, terror also has been employed by governments against their own people to suppress dissent; examples include the reigns of certain Roman emperors, the French Revolution (see Reign of Terror), Nazi Germany, the Soviet Union under Stalin, and Argentina during the “dirty war” of the 1970s. Terrorism's impact has been magnified by the deadliness and technological sophistication of modern-day weapons and the capability of the media to disseminate news of such attacks instantaneously throughout the world.
Yeah, you're not helping your case here, bub.

Police don't have political aims, moron, they are anti-political.  Now the FOP might be political but police officers are civil servants and prevented from being "political".
No? Police aren't the enforcement arm of the government? When the politicians make a decision, it's not the police who make it stick by using force and intimidation? The police motto is "To protect and serve" Whom? Not you.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Viceroy

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 01:37:28 AM

No? Police aren't the enforcement arm of the government?

You keep putting words in my mouth, terrorist lover.   I said police are a-political.  They regulate the law, they do not work for a political party.

America is not run by "A" political party.  It is run by a bunch of Nancy crybaby's who can't agree that we should stop when lights turn red.  Not unlike the circular argumentative logic you so poorly try to employ.

terror also has been employed by governments against their own people to suppress dissent;
Yeah, you're not helping your case here, bub.

Once again, for the hard of comprehension.  I agree there are Police States but the definition above does not say "been employed by the US government".  You are about as enlightened as a slug.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2013, 01:55:30 AM

I said police are a-political.  They regulate the law, they do not work for a political party.
Again, it's been shown here that you're terrorist lover. I don't like terrorists even when they wear blue costumes, or funny robes. And police don't "regulate" the law, they enforce it. Do I need to define enforce?

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
wdmw

Activity: 199
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 02:10:18 AM

I said police are a-political.  They regulate the law, they do not work for a political party.
Again, it's been shown here that you're terrorist lover. I don't like terrorists even when they wear blue costumes, or funny robes. And police don't "regulate" the law, they enforce it. Do I need to define enforce?

You need to define political for him.
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 02:12:22 AM

Just as a refresher, in case anyone doesn't know:

ter·ror·ism 
/ˈterəˌrizəm/
Noun

I'd say this meets that definition:

Ergo, statists are terrorist lovers. Carry on.
You are arguing that police action to find and arrest a bomber is "terrorism?"

WTF?
myrkul

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2013, 02:15:09 AM

You need to define political for him.
Oh, indeed I might.
po·lit·i·cal 
/pəˈlitikəl/
Adjective

Of or relating to the government or the public affairs of a country.

You are arguing that police action to find and arrest a bomber is "terrorism?"
Which part do you object to, that the tanks and paramilitary dress were meant as intimidation, or that said intimidation was for political means?

Hawker
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 02:48:08 PM

Still nothing worthwhile to ad to the conversation, huh myrkul?  I would think somebody with a high school diploma, which I presume you've earned given your incredibly worldly and mature views (cough), would be able to form an actual sentence contributing just one useful thing to this adult conversation. 

I guess you are just out to prove me wrong, huh?

myrkul is enjoying a thought experiment in which we imagine a world without states.  As part of that, every state is a police state to him.  If you can't handle that, ignore him. 
myrkul

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2013, 02:48:54 PM

Still nothing worthwhile to ad to the conversation, huh myrkul?  I would think somebody with a high school diploma, which I presume you've earned given your incredibly worldly and mature views (cough), would be able to form an actual sentence contributing just one useful thing to this adult conversation. 

I guess you are just out to prove me wrong, huh?

Well, this is at least more coherent than yesterday. I hope you weren't up too long last night writing it. Feel free to address any of my points, if you'd like.

Viceroy

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 02:50:26 PM

No, it doesn't. If there was only one state in the world it could still be a police state.

America is not a police state.  Here is the definition:
"a country in which the activities of the people are strictly controlled by the government with the help of a police force".

Again, it's been shown here that you're terrorist lover.

Proof or it didn't happen.  

Myrkul responds:
waaa  waaaa   weaaaa  waaaa   waaaa  

I state:
My kindergartener is more mature, at least he can form coherent thoughts

Myrhul responds:
waaaa waaa  waaaa waaa waaaa waaaa  waaa  but I'm important! waaa waaa waaa waaa

Once she stops crying I turn to her and say:

There remains plenty of proof that you are reveling in the terrorism that occurred in Boston.  I'm certain the Texas Authorities want to know your name.... so they can export you with your whore mum.  She doesn't love you.  If she did she would stay.  Clearly you are such a lowly piece of shit that your whore mom won't even stay with you.  She left you with nothing.  You are alone. 
myrkul

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2013, 02:52:13 PM

Yeah, I'm not even going to dignify that with a response. Have a nice day, Viceroy.

Viceroy

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 02:53:13 PM

waaa  waaa waaaa   waaa  waaa   waaaa  waaaa  waaaaa
myrkul

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2013, 02:55:21 PM

waaa  waaa waaaa   waaa  waaa   waaaa  waaaa  waaaaa
QFT

myrkul

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2013, 03:07:22 PM

I'll just leave these here...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_incarceration_rate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incarceration_in_the_United_States
https://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/23/world/americas/23iht-23prison.12253738.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

The definition of a police state again:
"a country in which the activities of the people are strictly controlled by the government with the help of a police force".

Viceroy

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 03:15:19 PM
Last edit: April 24, 2013, 04:56:57 PM by Viceroy

Yes, that's the definition.  Congratulations on figuring out the copy and paste function on your computer.  Let me know if you get around to any evidence that America is a Police State.  Since you can't I guess we can just end this conversation here and the OP can lock the thread.

And for those fluent in English... here's the full definition:

a political unit characterized by repressive governmental control of political, economic, and social life usually by an arbitrary exercise of power by police and especially secret police in place of regular operation of administrative and judicial organs of the government according to publicly known legal procedures

(A picture of a gutted cat was removed from this forum because members found it off topic.  I don't disagree, it was indeed off topic.  Though I could have caged it in the text "hey myrkul, this is what happens in police states" and showed the gutted cat and then draw some red lines and arrows on it pointing to the place where the secret police gutted the cat... but I'm too lazy ;-) )
wdmw

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 05:12:44 PM

Let me know if you get around to any evidence that America is a Police State.  Since you can't I guess we can just end this conversation here and the OP can lock the thread.

(A picture of a gutted cat was removed from this forum because members found it off topic.  I don't disagree, it was indeed off topic.  Though I could have caged it in the text "hey myrkul, this is what happens in police states" and showed the gutted cat and then draw some red lines and arrows on it pointing to the place where the secret police gutted the cat... but I'm too lazy ;-) )

Do you think America is a police state?  I'd be interested in some opinions on why it is or isn't.

Was there an issue with your cat?  Did the police come into your house in a raid and shoot your cat?  That would probably make me less fond of the police if it happened to me as well.
Viceroy

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 05:15:26 PM

NO, there is no evidence the USA is a police state. 

The definition of police state is clear:
a political unit characterized by repressive governmental control of political, economic, and social life usually by an arbitrary exercise of power by police and especially secret police in place of regular operation of administrative and judicial organs of the government according to publicly known legal procedures

No, that is not America.  There is no evidence anywhere to support the notion.
wdmw

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 05:19:00 PM

No, that is not America.  There is no evidence anywhere to support the notion.

What are the milestones that need to happen in order to transition from a state to a police state?
Hawker
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 05:40:46 PM

No, that is not America.  There is no evidence anywhere to support the notion.

What are the milestones that need to happen in order to transition from a state to a police state?

Take away separation of powers would be an essential first step.  From that point on, you are on a sliding slope to tyranny.
Viceroy

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 05:46:43 PM

Take away separation of powers would be an essential first step. 

Agreed.   A Police State is THE OPPOSITE of America.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 »
  Print  

Jump to: