Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 01:42:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Is bitcoin transaction fees fair?  (Read 36209 times)
TravelMug

Activity: 2646
Merit: 833

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 06:57:48 PM

as of now? DEFINITELY NOT. One thing that attracted me to bitcoin is the very low transaction fee. was only a few cents when I got into bitcoin. now? a couple of dollars. even worse than paypal in terms of usability.
To be frank there is nothing anyone could do about it,it is the situation we are dealing with for a long time now and we knew that the transaction would get delayed with more users,lets see how it will be settled and until then miners will be having a good time collecting all the fees.

Miners could probably make more (in absolute terms) if the blocksize is increased. If we go to 4 mb blocks, then there will be 4x times the number of transactions, but fees would probably not fall to 25% of current fees. It could work out favourably for both users and miners.

If we go up to 4mb block we will have more than 4 timess the space.
I really doubt that we will go fill those up faster than in  6 months time.
Where would those tx come from?

Till then probably the fees will go way below 100 satoshi/b.
Probably the miners will lose in the first few months more than 50% of their revenue from tx.

I think losing revenue will really hurt the miners in the first few months but I guess they can still recover in the next succeeding months or so. This will be a never ending battle and no one will win in the end. Let us just make a compromise so that bitcoin can continue and lived.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
deisik
Legendary

Activity: 3444
Merit: 1280

English ⬄ Russian Translation Services

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2017, 07:17:42 PM

Miners could probably make more (in absolute terms) if the blocksize is increased. If we go to 4 mb blocks, then there will be 4x times the number of transactions, but fees would probably not fall to 25% of current fees. It could work out favourably for both users and miners.

If the transaction fee is low (and if the confirmation happens quickly), then there will be more transactions and the total fee per block would see a significant rise. But most of the miners are short-sighted and they are against increasing the block size

This is a very far-fetched assumption

If it really were so, miners wouldn't need to run their spam bots regularly. In fact, there is no reason to think that there will be a lot more transactions if fees go down while confirmation times shorten. We are made to believe that there is a huge overhang of unconfirmed transactions but it is primarily due to constant flooding of the network with spam transactions. Apart from that, would people transact for the sake of transacting? Obviously, they won't, so there is no reason to think that the number of transactions would rise exponentially (or just enough to compensate for the loss of fee revenue) unless there is a genuine expansion in Bitcoin adoption and use

youngagethinker

Activity: 193
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 20, 2017, 08:25:18 PM

I'm not sure if the fees are low or high. What I'm sure is that were lacking the system on how to measure the right fees because as we all know the fees depends on how secured the online wallet. But the proper laws and regulations on the transparency of the right amount of fees are still questionable because even if we are using the block chain technology were just passing through it and let the decision on fees decides by some organization.

joromz1226

Activity: 798
Merit: 258

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 01:53:13 AM

Everyone wanted higher bitcoin price and we achieved this but another problem become transaction fees. When bitcoin's price was low, we had to pay also low fee and now when it rised, we have to pay high fee in bitcoins and plus that high fee is more higher with current price. Is this fair? The higher the price, the more money miners have with bitcoin exchange.
To my mind when price becomes high, we have to pay low fee and when it becomes low, than fee has to be high. To my mind it had to be done like this from the begining.

If bitcoin price value get high, the transaction charge also high, and that depend on the exchange sites platform.
Then if you pay low fee, it will take an hours and yet sometimes it takes 2 or 3 days before it confirm.
Karmakid

Activity: 742
Merit: 397

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 02:02:51 AM

I think its a no no.Bitcoins fees now so high that it reaches the freaking 5$ amount or sometimes bigger than the amount you transact with.And still transactions confirmations are still freaking slow that it takes up days before it get confirmed
itsallpc

Activity: 196

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 02:49:45 AM

Bitcoin fee is definitely not fair.People are paying such high fee with half heart as they have no other choice for now.Situations may change after august 1st when segwit 2x is to be activated.A fair price should be set permanently for smooth functioning of bitcoin environment.Now,we could say that people's money is publicly looted in the name of high transaction fee.
Sniper150

Activity: 357
Merit: 260

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 07:37:19 AM

Not fair but I think it is reasonable. If you want a faster transaction, you shell out additional fees and lower fees for not so fast confirmations. I think it is not automatically setup but you have to select it manually in your wallet.I hope network improves so that it is convenient t0 send and receive transaction just like before.

If we are talking about bitcoin transaction fees, it is not fair because bitcoin has no transaction fees unless it is converted to fiat and you cash it out in different money remittances. If you cash out it in ATM machine there are no fees but if it is in money remittances, they have fees for it. All money remittances have fees. I think that this is one of the advantages of bitcoin compared to the real money. Additionally, yes, you can select manually how much do you want to cash out in your wallet. We are in the new technology all could be possible if we want a better transaction.
niisarearning

Activity: 910
Merit: 252

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 08:07:54 AM

Everyone wanted higher bitcoin price and we achieved this but another problem become transaction fees. When bitcoin's price was low, we had to pay also low fee and now when it rised, we have to pay high fee in bitcoins and plus that high fee is more higher with current price. Is this fair? The higher the price, the more money miners have with bitcoin exchange.
To my mind when price becomes high, we have to pay low fee and when it becomes low, than fee has to be high. To my mind it had to be done like this from the begining.

Bitcoin transaction fee's so far is not being fair actually, but we community of bitcoin can't do anything from it.
Depending on the exchange like in yobit each withdrawal transaction was 0.0015BTC, while in bittrex was 0.001BTC something like that.

Why do you think it is being unfair? With the current price of bitcoin don't you think that the fee is good enough? I think this just make us realize not to make transaction with few amount, make a transaction when you are sending big amounts and with many recipients. If you send a small amount of bitcoin, you will be really suffering the FEEpocalypse.
Yes exactly now bitcoin becomes only for huge fund transfer if we try to transfer small amount then we will suffer for sure . Now don't depend on pocket money by doing faucets,games, PTC sites its fully waste
ppaul15

Activity: 56
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 08:09:38 AM

The transactions charges only favor to the one who send a big amount of bitcoin at it is always calculated on transaction size. in my experience, i am only transferring a small amount of btc and my fee is almost the same as the amount i send in transaction  Angry Angry
Dhimas Kanjeng

Activity: 290

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 09:01:46 AM

I'm confused, why transaction costs bitcoin is getting bigger, used to send and receive fees on the XAPO for free, but now I have to say is quite expensive, it's what makes us hesitate, if the user continues to increase, of course the cost is larger than the bank.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬     COVEX  |  One Stop Trading Platform      ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
|  |  |  |  Fast & Reliable  |  Real Time  |  Secure  |  Sharing Fees  |  |  |  |
ANN  Whitepaper  Facebook     ██  PRE-ICO: MAY 12TH  ██     Twitter  Reddit  Medium
Considered

Activity: 504