Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 02:17:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bit Potato - Hottest bits since the potato!!  (Read 11446 times)
Lailoken

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 01:30:50 AM

Ever since the times were dropped, it's no longer attractive to even buy above 30 because people are too scared. When the timers were long, the prices would usually always be above at least 100. The hot potato's 6 hour timer is ridiculous and was unannounced. There should be a chart showing the reset timers at least. The time should also pause when someone locks it out and it says waiting for payment, but it doesn't and that allows people to lock out the 3 hour and hot potato until it resets giving the current holder no chance. People I've seen 2 people locking out potatoes so far and were named "tater salad" and "just the tip".

I will agree with this though, I think it was a mistake to lower the times. I understand it leads to more short term profit for the company (and I don't fault them for that), but it leads to more people being stuck with the potato, and ultimately more people being disillusioned with the site. This is going to quickly cripple the price the potatos get to, as we are already seeing. Hot potato is about to expire with a price of 70~ LTC, and likely lower next time.

I think a better approach would be to stick with 24 hr or even potentially longer timers, and also start the potatos lower! Bitpotato don't get too greedy...when you sneak a starting cost in of 50 LTC people DO notice. Maybe get rid of the 3hr potato which is quickly becoming the "one person buys and that's it" potato, and replace it with a "Linear Potato." Start at 1 LTC, add +3 or +5 LTC every purchase with no crazy random increases. More people will be excited waiting for potatos to expire (this is the FUN part of the game guys! If I'm not waiting for a potato to expire then I'm not on the site and you're making less money!) and more people will get to play overall. Forcing at least one potato to remain at a lower price for longer also expands your market potential significantly.

Anyway, just random thoughts...not my site though, is it Wink

edit: also found it a bit ironic that in a game so centered around abusing people's greed, the owner's of the site got a bit too greedy with their monetization of the site! hahaha
Bender777

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 01:39:00 AM

Ever since the times were dropped, it's no longer attractive to even buy above 30 because people are too scared. When the timers were long, the prices would usually always be above at least 100. The hot potato's 6 hour timer is ridiculous and was unannounced. There should be a chart showing the reset timers at least. The time should also pause when someone locks it out and it says waiting for payment, but it doesn't and that allows people to lock out the 3 hour and hot potato until it resets giving the current holder no chance. People I've seen 2 people locking out potatoes so far and were named "tater salad" and "just the tip".

I will agree with this though, I think it was a mistake to lower the times. I understand it leads to more short term profit for the company (and I don't fault them for that), but it leads to more people being stuck with the potato, and ultimately more people being disillusioned with the site. This is going to quickly cripple the price the potatos get to, as we are already seeing. Hot potato is about to expire with a price of 70~ LTC, and likely lower next time.

I think a better approach would be to stick with 24 hr or even potentially longer timers, and also start the potatos lower! Bitpotato don't get too greedy...when you sneak a starting cost in of 50 LTC people DO notice. Maybe get rid of the 3hr potato which is quickly becoming the "one person buys and that's it" potato, and replace it with a "Linear Potato." Start at 1 LTC, add +3 or +5 LTC every purchase with no crazy random increases. More people will be excited waiting for potatos to expire (this is the FUN part of the game guys! If I'm not waiting for a potato to expire then I'm not on the site and you're making less money!) and more people will get to play overall. Forcing at least one potato to remain at a lower price for longer also expands your market potential significantly.

edit: also found it a bit ironic that in a game so centered around abusing people's greed, the owner's of the site got a bit too greedy with their monetization of the site! hahaha

Hit the nail on the head!

We'll start our own bitpotato with linear potatoes and longer times!

But seriously, this site is getting worse and worse everyday.
dman99

Activity: 63

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 02:00:50 AM

I'm addicted to this site.  I lost about 20 LTC with my first potato purchase.  After that I watched how it worked and I've made about 5 LTC back.

Be careful kids!
Lailoken

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 02:04:52 AM

is the site malfunctioning for anyone else? I don't get a timer when I mouse over a potato and only one of them has a constantly updating timer....a few of the potatos say "NONE" under owner and time. ofc I buy a potato right before this happens too, and coincidentally it expires...lol.

Bender777

Activity: 2

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 02:30:11 AM

is the site malfunctioning for anyone else? I don't get a timer when I mouse over a potato and only one of them has a constantly updating timer....a few of the potatos say "NONE" under owner and time. ofc I buy a potato right before this happens too, and coincidentally it expires...lol.

https://i.imgur.com/yUSVGWJ.png

Same here. Also even if you click the open potato, the address doesn't pop up, yet if you refresh, your name is under the one you just clicked.
Lailoken

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 02:35:31 AM

Same here. Also even if you click the open potato, the address doesn't pop up, yet if you refresh, your name is under the one you just clicked.

be careful...I just clicked a potato, it showed my name, I sent the LTC, and then now the "waiting for payment" timer is running out to 0 as if I didn't pay....100% certain I entered correct address and everything, not my first time around : /

looks like the site may be under attack or something

edit: 100% for sure site is under attack, wont go into details but I trust from my previous experience with the bitpotato staff that they will handle this professionally.
zero3112

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 02:40:26 AM

Haha can only say good things about the site.

BitPotato

Activity: 42

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 03:23:17 AM

We've received mixed opinions about the timers of the potatoes. We have received many suggestions that the potatoes should all be 3 hours, or even 1 hour. The increases are not random, they are linear, with a slope of 1.15x to 2.5x. The "classic" spud through platinum potatoes still have a 12 hour timer. The timer changes, were announced on twitter. We really appreciate all your feedback on the site, we do use it to improve the site, and we want to cater to our community.
BitPotato

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 03:44:38 AM

Now, on to more important issues. Bitpotato.com has just suffered from a small "Script Kiddie" attack. A user injected javascript into the page that replaced our wallet addresses with a single one: Li9kkpAuRLP2dXdgyxtgwDFPWE2V2s2Kzu.

Though we patched the vulnerability within minutes, they did manage to siphon away 177 LTC. We are refunding all these transactions out of pocket, due to our oversight. As we've said before, we feel our integrity is much more valuable to our business than anything else, and want to work directly with our users to improve the site, and right any wrongs that occurred due to an oversight on our end. We appreciate your continuing understanding and support.

Please, if you have sent a payment to Li9kkpAuRLP2dXdgyxtgwDFPWE2V2s2Kzu, send in a support email and get your refund! (Support email address is in the FAQ section of our website)

Also, keep the suggestions coming!
Best Regards,
The Bit Potato Staff
Deathdisguise

Activity: 9

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 04:54:05 AM
Last edit: May 08, 2013, 07:34:04 AM by Deathdisguise

EDIT: Fully refunded, thanks BP!

Now, on to more important issues. Bitpotato.com has just suffered from a small "Script Kiddie" attack. A user injected javascript into the page that replaced our wallet addresses with a single one: Li9kkpAuRLP2dXdgyxtgwDFPWE2V2s2Kzu.

Though we patched the vulnerability within minutes, they did manage to siphon away 177 LTC. We are refunding all these transactions out of pocket, due to our oversight. As we've said before, we feel our integrity is much more valuable to our business than anything else, and want to work directly with our users to improve the site, and right any wrongs that occurred due to an oversight on our end. We appreciate your continuing understanding and support.

Please, if you have sent a payment to Li9kkpAuRLP2dXdgyxtgwDFPWE2V2s2Kzu, send in a support email and get your refund! (Support email address is in the FAQ section of our website)

Best Regards,
The Bit Potato Staff

Is it possible the javascript vulnerability had caused any other bugs with addresses? I sent one to your Hot Potato when it was at 13.5~, that was definitely yours (it's popped up several times in the past), and was unable to get the 'verifying payment' to show up.

Of course an email was sent, mind you I may have mislabelled the title as I didn't know about this JS attack until just now. Still waiting on my other refunds too. Sad
Mumakil

Activity: 6

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 05:31:44 AM

Mind if I clone your website?
BitPotato

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 06:08:09 AM

Is it possible the javascript vulnerability had caused any other bugs with addresses? I sent one to your Hot Potato when it was at 13.5~, that was definitely yours (it's popped up several times in the past), and was unable to get the 'verifying payment' to show up.

Of course an email was sent, mind you I may have mislabelled the title as I didn't know about this JS attack until just now. Still waiting on my other refunds too. Sad

Sorry, could you please send a reply to the emails you've already sent? I may have lost track of your issue, my apologies.
BitPotato

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 06:11:40 AM

Mind if I clone your website?

You're a little late to that party, I'm afraid you'll have to get in line.
pandora5a

Activity: 3

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 06:25:29 AM

im in
Lailoken

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 07:38:43 AM

Best Regards,
The Bit Potato Staff

Very impressed with the way you handled this. Haters will hate but you run a legitimate operation.

Random suggestion: maybe a little difficult to code for, but having some type of randomized event would be fun. E.x. a special leprechaun potato pops up for a few seconds, and the leprechaun potato has a long(er?) timer and can only be clicked/purchased when it randomly appears.
BitPotato

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 09:05:47 AM

Very impressed with the way you handled this. Haters will hate but you run a legitimate operation.

Random suggestion: maybe a little difficult to code for, but having some type of randomized event would be fun. E.x. a special leprechaun potato pops up for a few seconds, and the leprechaun potato has a long(er?) timer and can only be clicked/purchased when it randomly appears.

Don't worry, we will be adding more potatoes -- And more games Wink
g3monster

Activity: 6

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 09:16:24 AM

Hi there
LuckyNumber7

Activity: 34

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 09:24:37 AM

This looks pretty interesting....Are there still issues with people buying a potato only to find out that someone else has at the same time or have these teething problems been ironed out now?
seannnyx

Activity: 14

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 09:40:43 AM

I'm thinking it would be cool lite potato :p
BitPotato

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 09:47:32 AM

This looks pretty interesting....Are there still issues with people buying a potato only to find out that someone else has at the same time or have these teething problems been ironed out now?

Yes, we've fixed the double spending bug.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: