Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 10:19:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Butterfly Labs just sent me an update e-mail!  (Read 9544 times)
CanaryInTheMine
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1060

between a rock and a block!

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 09:48:17 PM

Account server is overloaded at the moment.  I would wait awhile before trying again... you have plenty of time, it's not like your orders will be canceled today or anything.

What's the proper way to confirm?  may I ask why I need to confirm in the first place?  I've placed the order and have not asked to cancel/refund etc... so what is the purpose of confirming? Thanks!!!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 09:50:12 PM

Final confirmation is required

Please be advised that due to the adjustments described above, we need your confirmation prior to release of your order into the final build queue and on to final delivery.  It may also be a good time to review your purchase altogether relative to the bitcoin market as this is the last opportunity to do so.  If your order is not confirmed, it will be canceled and your money will be refunded.

Thank you for your support and we wish you great satisfaction with your product!

Uh oh,

Watch out folks!

This is part of the legal process of shipping something that is not perfectly conforming to what you originally purchased.

The above is asking you NOT IF you want to confirm your order....BUT IF you want your order as it has been "redesigned". If you say no, you don't get your order but a refund instead. If you say yes, then you get whatever they have redesigned. So the first logical step is to ask what the changes will be!

The other part of what this email is trying to obscure is the fact that if you AGREE, you lose your ability to refund [for said changes]. You the customer have been queried if you accept the changes, and as such, you lose your refund ability due to changes or any conformance differences.

So think before you tap "OK". Ask questions now! Then click.

--------------------

Very slick BFL. Very Slick.

ALSO, PLEASE....ask what the time frame for delivery will be. Get it in writing!

This may be a scheme to get you to give your consent without telling you (or giving you) any indication of how long it will be before you receive your order.

You are signing on the electronic line that you accept any changes. THINK before you ACT. ASK QUESTIONS FIRST! Get assurances on timeline for delivery. ASK if Refunds will still be HONORED.

Don't walk into it blindly like sheeple.
CanaryInTheMine
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1060

between a rock and a block!

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 09:53:01 PM

I wonder if this is the result of them recently being contacted by a firm specializing in class action suits...
enygma

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 09:53:37 PM

I managed to confirm my order. I had to refresh pages sometimes because Cloudflare would kick in. It took a bit, but I did manage to accept and confirm the order is now "Processing".
Hmmm, my order has said "processing" for quite a while.  I can't get in, but I wonder if it'll be asking me for confirmation or not.
It will ask the moment you log in. A popup window will appear. The order status at this point is something along the lines of "Waiting for acceptance"... or something like that. Once you agree, it will go back to "Processing".

Obligatory "Donate to" vanity address:

1enygmaek8Y4P7U8QFuZdvVASNbHJgxVm
CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 09:54:44 PM

I wonder if this is the result of them recently being contacted by a firm specializing in class action suits...

Probably, this was my first thought when I saw BFL was asking people to "confirm" their orders.

AKA. save BFL from a huge lawsuit... but OK, this is BFL... let's call it a "confirmation of your order."
S M I L Y

Activity: 113

https://www.chynge.net/

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 09:56:44 PM

Hmm logged in.  No where to "Accept"  No popup or anything.

All my orders sitting as "Pending Acceptance"

Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 09:58:33 PM

we need your confirmation prior to release of your order into the final build queue and on to final delivery.

Very dodgy wording, seemingly designed to imply that a faster "confirmation" will result in a more advanced position in the queue, without actually saying so.

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
jedunnigan

Activity: 279
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 09:59:17 PM

Look for the 'here' link in the email. You will see a dialog box pop up on the BFL website asking you to confirm after you follow the link.
tigerfree
Legendary

Activity: 1015
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 09:59:48 PM

Please be advised that due to the adjustments described above, we need your confirmation prior to release of your order into the final build queue and on to final delivery.  It may also be a good time to review your purchase altogether relative to the bitcoin market as this is the last opportunity to do so.  If your order is not confirmed, it will be canceled and your money will be refunded.

Thank you for your support and we wish you great satisfaction with your product!

Uh oh,

Watch out folks!

This is part of the legal process of shipping something that is not perfectly conforming to what you originally purchased.

The above is asking you NOT IF you want to confirm your order....BUT IF you want your order as it has been "redesigned". If you say no, you don't get your order but a refund instead. If you say yes, then you get whatever they have redesigned. So the first logical step is to ask what the changes will be!

The other part of what this email is trying to obscure is the fact that if you AGREE, you lose your ability to refund [for said changes]. You the customer have been queried if you accept the changes, and as such, you lose your refund ability due to changes or any conformance differences.

--------------------

ALSO, PLEASE....ask what the time frame for delivery will be. Get it in writing!

This may be a scheme to get you to give your consent without telling you (or giving you) any indication of how long it will be before you receive your order.

You are signing on the electronic line that you accept any changes. THINK before you ACT. ASK QUESTIONS FIRST! Get assurances on timeline for delivery. ASK if Refunds will still be HONORED.

+1111
S M I L Y

Activity: 113

https://www.chynge.net/

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 10:01:10 PM

Look for the 'here' link in the email. You will see a dialog box pop up on the BFL website asking you to confirm after you follow the link.

Yup thats where I went...  no popup.   Huh

stripykitteh
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 10:02:09 PM

Uh oh,

Watch out folks!

I asked for a refund of my order for a Single about 5 days ago, citing the fact that the product was being redesigned as being one reason I wanted to cancel (the misleading information on shipping dates on their website being the other). Haven't heard back yet, but I will be reasserting my request for a refund.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
minternj

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 10:02:22 PM

Uh oh,

Watch out folks!

--------------------

please dont use alternating fonts and sizes. makes me feel liek im reading a ransom note.

Warning about Nitrogensports.eu
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=709114.0
Malawi

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

One bitcoin to rule them all!

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 10:02:29 PM

Account server is overloaded at the moment.  I would wait awhile before trying again... you have plenty of time, it's not like your orders will be canceled today or anything.

When, and at what rate are you going to ship them to regular customers?

BitCoin is NOT a pyramid - it's a pagoda.
Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 10:05:47 PM

we need your confirmation prior to release of your order into the final build queue and on to final delivery.

Very dodgy wording, seemingly designed to imply that a faster "confirmation" will result in a more advanced position in the queue, without actually saying so.

Yeah man, that's it... BUY! BUY! BUY!, that's what we are getting all the time from BFL

TwinTurbo

Activity: 91

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 10:06:45 PM

What a damn circus act this is! I first had to reset my password. Finally got that to go through, then log in to the site. First time in, no pop-up to accept. I log in again and it finally appears. I click "Accept" and then get another pop-up that says "some text here" [OK]

WTF?!

I click the "OK" and it just shows me the Accept pop up again. I click accept, and the cycle repeats.

EDIT: I hope the hardware underwent more testing than the website. If not, we're all in trouble.
twmz

Activity: 737
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 10:07:05 PM

This is what it says in the popup if you get a successful login...

Important Order Information
Dear Butterfly Labs Customer,

Thank you for your patience. Production and shipping of Butterfly Labs Bitforce SC (ASIC) products has begun. Before we proceed with production on your order, there are specification changes and we need your acceptance of these changes before we proceed.

Power consumption on all SC products is higher than we expected which has resulted in changes to the product packaging.

All customers will be shipped the GH/s hashing power they originally ordered.

By clicking the accept button below, you agree to accept product specification changes and pre-order terms as specified on product pages.

If you do not agree to accept these terms, click the Refund to process your order refund now.

Was I helpful?  1TwmzX1wBxNF2qtAJRhdKmi2WyLZ5VHRs
WoT, GPG

Bitrated user: ewal.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 10:07:33 PM

I managed to confirm my order. I had to refresh pages sometimes because Cloudflare would kick in. It took a bit, but I did manage to accept and confirm the order is now "Processing".
Hmmm, my order has said "processing" for quite a while.  I can't get in, but I wonder if it'll be asking me for confirmation or not.
It will ask the moment you log in. A popup window will appear. The order status at this point is something along the lines of "Waiting for acceptance"... or something like that. Once you agree, it will go back to "Processing".
Mine didn't.  I finally had the option to upgrade to express shipping a couple of days ago, so I did so.  My status currently is "Upgrade Pending", and previously was "Processing".  Hopefully I don't get a nasty surprise by not being able to confirm my order.
Malawi

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

One bitcoin to rule them all!

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 10:09:21 PM

Uh oh,

Watch out folks!

The other part of what this email is trying to obscure is the fact that if you AGREE, you lose your ability to refund. You the customer have been queried if you accept the changes, and as such, you lose your refund ability due to changes or any conformance differences.

--------------------

Eh ... I might be new to BTC, but AFAIK the preorders were also not subject to refunds, still they have done refunds. That you don't have explicit rights for refunds does not mean that it cannot happen.

My guess is that this is about the power usage and casing that is different than announced when they launched the preorders.

Offc you don't have to think about this as you never ordered or have cancelled your order long ago.

BitCoin is NOT a pyramid - it's a pagoda.
ocminer
Legendary

Activity: 2660
Merit: 1240

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2013, 10:20:49 PM

For me, as an european, its really funny to see that so many americans punch on an american company, preffering an asian company over it..

I'd expect you guys to NOT buy from asia and stand tall with your company.. at least that is what I'm doing..

Here a shot of the popup, which has absolutely nothing to do with your conspiracy theories.. They just make clear what was obvious a few days ago, design has changed, power is over spec.. Nothing special..

Guys.. Calm down.. BFL will ship sooner or later.. Its your choice if you go with the americans or the chinese people.. If you hate one, print yourself a t-shirt with the logo of the other company, wear it and enjoy but stop these nonsense-post like "warning, bfl is the devil and sells your mind to aliens.. dont click "ok", you'll give them your ok to rape your a** at any time they want.. " stop it.. please.. stop it...

suprnova pools - reliable mining pools - #suprnova on freenet
https://www.suprnova.cc - FOLLOW us @ Twitter ! twitter.com/SuprnovaPools
davidspitzer

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 10:21:21 PM

Uh oh,

Watch out folks!

--------------------

\

While it is true that between two merchants a modification to a contract does not require consideration, such is not the case when one of the parties is a non merchant. Any modification to the sale of an item under the UCC when one or more parties are non merchants requires the modification to be be accompanied with some type of additional consideration

- E.G. In contracts between parties who are not merchants, a modification should be supported by some consideration, which is the exchange of value, or something to solidify an agreement. Courts impose this requirement to prevent Fraud and deception in the modification of contracts. Consideration operates as evidence that the parties have agreed to the modification. Without the requirement of consideration, a party to a contract could declare that the contract should be modified or canceled whenever such a demand was advantageous.

I am going to use the term non-conforming goods. This does not imply they are inferior goods rather that they are different from what was originally specified in the sales contract.

I am pretty sure BFL knows this and the purpose for the confirmation is not to enforce a contract modification. One can accept the new goods or not and get a refund. Not everything is sinister. I would think they want the confirmation to make sure that you want the new config and quantities and not your money back. It would make no sense to accept non-conforming goods and then sue when the option for reimbursement was available. The court would probably think you were crazy, as the only options would be specific performance which would be impossible as perfectly conforming goods do not exist, or restitution, which was available without excepting the non-conforming goods and then suing.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: