Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:14:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [OS] rxOC easy-to-use Linux AMD Mining v_stopgap  (Read 31338 times)
car1999

Activity: 350
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 06, 2017, 11:49:11 AM

is it possible to set overclock individually and set the max TDP with watts like nvOC?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
xleejohnx

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 06, 2017, 12:25:59 PM

is it possible to set overclock individually and set the max TDP with watts like nvOC?

It isn't yet available

As I see a super coin as the super highway and alt coins as taxis and trucks needed to move transactions. ~philipma1957
fullzero (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1009

View Profile
July 06, 2017, 08:17:25 PM

I've added myself on both nvoc and rxoc but can you add ubiq to further versions of onebash? TY

I will add this to the list for both.  Do you have a pool you use for UBIQ?
fullzero (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 06, 2017, 08:27:39 PM

Didn't you think about putting oneBash to GitHub? Makes it much easier for custom modifications.

For instance, I would group similar options for cards (mostly for nvOC version) into loops using bash (you can pull changes if like it). Another option for me may be to split oneBash into few option files like 10-power.sh, 20-miners.sh, etc... Next step would be to add a kind of rig autodetect (say, using NIC MAC) and load rig-dependant options automatically, still having single settings repository.

Will do it for myself, but integration of user changes will be much easier using git.

I have already added this request to the nvOC list I will add it to the rxOC as well.

There is a similar implementation already with pastebin: see the link on the OP for  _Parallax_ Mode.  This can be changed to use git instead.

I am making a monitor / push / update / dashboard app to handle all of these tasks.  Keep getting sidetracked integrating everyones different methods / contributions.

fullzero (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 06, 2017, 08:30:54 PM

How did you get linux to oc rx cards? would you mind sharing it?

I used the roc-SMI:

https://github.com/RadeonOpenCompute/ROC-smi

then made some changes to it.  I will make more.  If you look at its code you will see the actual AMD api cmds.

fullzero (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 06, 2017, 08:35:08 PM

My test rx470 rig has modified BIOS with low voltage levels (around 950mV for GPU, for instance). Under Windows I used WattTool to alter clocks and voltages as well. But if I didn't run WattTool, I had BIOS-defined low voltages and clocks.
So in short, all rx470 run and maximum clocks and use some high voltages and not those written in the BIOS.

For now the best solution is to use the Polaris bios editor in windows to make a custom rom with all your desired settings

You've missed the point. I have modified BIOS using PBE, but it seems that drivers ignore flashed settings and use some driver defaults for voltages.

I guess I do something wrong. Anybody who is running rx470 under linux with low voltages, can you show your PBE values and corresponding rxOC settings (powerplay, etc)?

Overdrive or performance level might be what is resetting those values; if you change:

Code:
PERFORMANCE_LEVEL="HIGH"       

OVERDRIVE="YES"

to:

Code:
PERFORMANCE_LEVEL=""       

OVERDRIVE=""

Do you have the same results?
Zucca

Activity: 79
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 07, 2017, 09:19:14 PM

Maybe this will work:

Ensure the monitor is connected to the primary GPU ( the one in the 16x slot closest to the CPU )

Disconnect the USB or SSD/HHD from the rig.

Fully power off everything: including the PSU.

Press the power button several times to clear any remaining power in the mobo.

Turn the PSU powerswitch back to | "on".

power on (without the USB attached)

See if the bios posts; if you get nothing in 20 seconds; press ctrl + alt + del repeatedly until the system reboots.

Wait and see if the bios posts.

If the bios posts attach the USB key to a USB 2.0 port and press ctrl + alt + delete.

if it boots; stop the mining process before it starts mining:

then go to the top left and click the ubuntu button

type u

and click on software updater

run updates

reboot

Let me know if this works.

I tried with a new motherboard MSI Z270 Gaming Plus with only one GPU directly connected to it,  and a new PSU.
Same Result.
I have extra pendrives but I am not able to copy the image there because they are 15.5 Gb and I it needs 15.6.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
July 08, 2017, 01:22:38 AM

If there is enough interest I can make an R series build of rxOC; but I am trying to focus first on helping users resolve problems, then with implementing the most requested improvements first.

I will add an R series build to the request list for rxOC.

If you want to do a build using the AMD 15.12 drivers (which are the best for the R-series cards but don't support the Fury or anything later), you will have to move to Ubuntu 14.04 (or earlier but I don't recommend earlier) for the base build - and even THERE you can't "upgrade" everything as the newer XOrg version that "apt-update" inflicts on 14.04 DOES NOT WORK WITH THE fglrx DRIVERS.

AMD got particularly stupid when they decided to ignore older cards in their LINUX "pro" driver series, though they've had a long history of not supporting LINUX all that well.
 A lot of folks count 15.12 as an amazingly good but one-time exception.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
bones2

Activity: 10

View Profile
July 08, 2017, 06:06:54 AM

My test rx470 rig has modified BIOS with low voltage levels (around 950mV for GPU, for instance). Under Windows I used WattTool to alter clocks and voltages as well. But if I didn't run WattTool, I had BIOS-defined low voltages and clocks.
So in short, all rx470 run and maximum clocks and use some high voltages and not those written in the BIOS.

For now the best solution is to use the Polaris bios editor in windows to make a custom rom with all your desired settings

You've missed the point. I have modified BIOS using PBE, but it seems that drivers ignore flashed settings and use some driver defaults for voltages.

I guess I do something wrong. Anybody who is running rx470 under linux with low voltages, can you show your PBE values and corresponding rxOC settings (powerplay, etc)?

Overdrive or performance level might be what is resetting those values; if you change:

Code:
PERFORMANCE_LEVEL="HIGH"       

OVERDRIVE="YES"

to:

Code:
PERFORMANCE_LEVEL=""       

OVERDRIVE=""

So I believe I am having the same problem (except my cards are stock), my hash rate doesn't change no matter what settings I use, I even tried your suggestion here leaving overdrive and performance level blank and I was still getting the same hash...
osnwt

Activity: 353
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 08, 2017, 08:19:49 AM

Code:
PERFORMANCE_LEVEL="HIGH"       
OVERDRIVE="YES"
to:
Code:
PERFORMANCE_LEVEL=""       
OVERDRIVE=""

Actually, I tried to remove all nvidia-smi commands at all and reboot. Still higher power consumption with modded BIOS comparing to Windows.
That is why I asked anyone who was able to run rx470 undervolted on Linux: please post your PBE screenshots and linux settings.
fullzero (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 08, 2017, 06:57:58 PM

Maybe this will work:

Ensure the monitor is connected to the primary GPU ( the one in the 16x slot closest to the CPU )

See if the bios posts; if you get nothing in 20 seconds; press ctrl + alt + del repeatedly until the system reboots.

If the bios posts attach the USB key to a USB 2.0 port and press ctrl + alt + delete.

type u

run updates

reboot

I tried with a new motherboard MSI Z270 Gaming Plus with only one GPU directly connected to it,  and a new PSU.
Same Result.
I have extra pendrives but I am not able to copy the image there because they are 15.5 Gb and I it needs 15.6.

If the bios posts; you can access the grub loader menu by pressing

esc

continuously while booting (note holding it down doesn't usually work), then select boot in recovery mode. 

in recovery mode:

Enable networking

then install updates from the cmd prompt:
Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade --yes

and reboot

this should ensure your build has all known system files for your system.

fullzero (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 08, 2017, 07:06:24 PM

If there is enough interest I can make an R series build of rxOC; but I am trying to focus first on helping users resolve problems, then with implementing the most requested improvements first.

I will add an R series build to the request list for rxOC.

If you want to do a build using the AMD 15.12 drivers (which are the best for the R-series cards but don't support the Fury or anything later), you will have to move to Ubuntu 14.04 (or earlier but I don't recommend earlier) for the base build - and even THERE you can't "upgrade" everything as the newer XOrg version that "apt-update" inflicts on 14.04 DOES NOT WORK WITH THE fglrx DRIVERS.

AMD got particularly stupid when they decided to ignore older cards in their LINUX "pro" driver series, though they've had a long history of not supporting LINUX all that well.
 A lot of folks count 15.12 as an amazingly good but one-time exception.

I ran r9 380s with 15.12 last year on 14.04, they did well.

I remember having to repair ubuntu with every build, manually forcing changes. 

I agree the new driver + api is shite.  Not sure what AMD is thinking.

fullzero (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 08, 2017, 07:15:25 PM

Code:
PERFORMANCE_LEVEL="HIGH"       
OVERDRIVE="YES"
to:
Code:
PERFORMANCE_LEVEL=""       
OVERDRIVE=""

Actually, I tried to remove all nvidia-smi commands at all and reboot. Still higher power consumption with modded BIOS comparing to Windows.
That is why I asked anyone who was able to run rx470 undervolted on Linux: please post your PBE screenshots and linux settings.

It might not be possible with all GPUs and Linux without hex editing.

So I believe I am having the same problem (except my cards are stock), my hash rate doesn't change no matter what settings I use, I even tried your suggestion here leaving overdrive and performance level blank and I was still getting the same hash...

What GPUs are you using?

bones2

Activity: 10

View Profile
July 09, 2017, 05:09:44 PM

What GPUs are you using?

[/quote]

4 Asus Dual RX 580 8GB
fullzero (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 09, 2017, 07:39:58 PM

What GPUs are you using?

4 Asus Dual RX 580 8GB
[/quote]

What does oneBash output at the top of your mining process?
Zucca

Activity: 79

View Profile
July 09, 2017, 10:12:00 PM

Maybe this will work:

type u

run updates

reboot

Same Result.

esc

continuously while booting (note holding it down doesn't usually work), then select boot in recovery mode. 

in recovery mode:

Enable networking

Code:

and reboot

I think I've found the problem, it is not solved by updating:
I installed xubuntu in a new pendrive. And did a apt dist-upgrade, after that, I rebooted and installed lastest amdgpu-pro drivers, and then it happended exactly the same.
I am able to press ctrl+f1 and work via command prompt, but it is not solved by updating.
I am still trying to connect the pendrive to the 2.0 USB port, but it is not recognized. Why do you suggest to do it like this?

Thanks for your help!
fullzero (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 10, 2017, 12:04:06 AM

Maybe this will work:

type u

run updates

reboot

Same Result.

esc

in recovery mode:

Enable networking

Code:

and reboot

I think I've found the problem, it is not solved by updating:
I installed xubuntu in a new pendrive. And did a apt dist-upgrade, after that, I rebooted and installed lastest amdgpu-pro drivers, and then it happended exactly the same.
I am able to press ctrl+f1 and work via command prompt, but it is not solved by updating.
I am still trying to connect the pendrive to the 2.0 USB port, but it is not recognized. Why do you suggest to do it like this?

Thanks for your help!

There is something wrong with your usb image it if is not recognized when connecting to a USB 2.0 port.  USB 3 and 3.1 are fully compatible with 2.0. 

There may be a TPM or secureboot option in the bios that is causing problems.

I am assuming you are connecting the monitor to the GPU, and not the motherboard (if you connect a monitor directly to the motherboard; rxOC will go into an infinite loop).
osnwt

Activity: 353
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 10, 2017, 07:32:03 AM

It seems like no one has succeeded with that because no one posted a success story Smiley
I am ok to use Polaris BIOS Editor, or do manual hex patching. No matter what I was not able to fix the issue with high power consumption under linux with rx470 and asked for anyone who WAS able to do that to share how.
fullzero (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 10, 2017, 12:26:16 PM

It seems like no one has succeeded with that because no one posted a success story Smiley
I am ok to use Polaris BIOS Editor, or do manual hex patching. No matter what I was not able to fix the issue with high power consumption under linux with rx470 and asked for anyone who WAS able to do that to share how.

If I remember correctly; Wolf has made special tools for that: and offers some kind of modification service.
B1tUnl0ck3r

Activity: 854
Merit: 277

liife threw a tempest at you? be a coconut !

View Profile
July 10, 2017, 12:52:03 PM
Last edit: July 10, 2017, 04:46:39 PM by B1tUnl0ck3r

How did you get linux to oc rx cards? would you mind sharing it?

I used the roc-SMI:

https://github.com/RadeonOpenCompute/ROC-smi

then made some changes to it.  I will make more.  If you look at its code you will see the actual AMD api cmds.

Thank you ! You gave me a real envy to test your distro with your answer! I hope it will help me, and if I succeed... will pm you to ask your address as a thank you.

thanks again ! and I wish you a lot of success with your software!

edit: would be nice to have a torrent link to download it Smiley

When the people of the world will get that covid was intentionally released to frame china, steal the election from trump, assure massive bail outs and foster the forced vaccination agendas...they will forget, like 911, wmds in irak, uss liberty or pedogate.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: