Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 01:34:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Can Bitcoin Volatility Be Controlled?  (Read 12076 times)
Toden1379

Activity: 246
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 28, 2018, 01:01:44 PM

Regarding shops not accepting bitcoin due to volatility, I think that's not the case. Whatever the price of bitcoin is currently, it doesn't matter to the shop since with bitcoin payment systems, they convert your BTC to currency before they accept it. So basically, they still get the exact amount. Maybe the reason is that they don't want to gamble accepting another mode of payment not fully adopted by others. Which is a paradox in itself since if their reasons are the same then it won't get adopted at all.

EOT  ]      FIRST DECENTRALIZED GAME NETWOR      EOT  ]
ICO: JULY 25       
        READ OUR WHITEPAPER
││   REDDIT   ││   TELEGRAM   ││   TWITTER   ││   MEDIUM   ││   WEBSITE   ││

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
AteenaD

Activity: 208
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 28, 2018, 02:43:33 PM

The price movement of Bitcoins cannot be predicted. Market manipulation is a very big issue here. A recent report in Bloomberg revealed that a group of 1000 investors own 40 percent of all Bitcoin. These "whales"—investors, hedge funds engaged in "painting the tape" (creating the appearance of high transaction volume by simply selling and re-selling back-and-forth on small margins) to inflate the value of Bitcoin. Why? So that they could sell off at the highest possible price. This raises the possibility of a cartel you cannot beat. It is very difficult for small investors (like most of us here) holding only a few Bitcoins to combat such volatility.
Emitdama

Activity: 1895
Merit: 328

View Profile
March 01, 2018, 12:02:25 PM

Right now, bitcoin's volatility is still unpredictable and hard to anticipate. As for it being controlable, it would be still hard to tell for now since nobody could even predict it in the first place...
I think bitcoin is not volatile, but it’s price increases and decreases with the time. We all think of bitcoin as more volatile and the reason is that the price of bitcoin is very high. Now currently the price of the bitcoin is around $10k, so this means that if 1% of the value has increased or decreased it is more than $100, where the third highly invested currency is ripple which is not worth $1 right now. So comparing it with others, it is very very less volatile.
Andrej Peiboski

Activity: 350
Merit: 12

View Profile
March 01, 2018, 02:33:59 PM

Usually a currency is controlled by a central bank, that - with some limits - can keep its value in a reasonable range.
With bitcoin this is not possible, because nobody has the control of the blockchain.
So, the governments try to control its value with political declaration, and - as you can see - they have good results.

v3liana

Activity: 658
Merit: 101

View Profile
March 01, 2018, 02:42:59 PM

I have read some posts and some concerns that it is the volatility of Bitcoin that is preventing many people and many businesses to fully adopt Bitcoin. This can be the main factor why big online shopping stores are not yet adding Bitcoin into their payment facilities (though there is now a circulated petition for this but I doubt if it can make a dent).

Some are really saying that if volatility can be managed then we can see Bitcoin going mainstream. I am wondering then: Is volatility something that we should find a way to control and how do you think it can be done?
I think the only way that volatility can be managed is if bitcoin is being used by more people where there is less control of the few to dictate the price. This will not happen in the near future as bitcoin is still a very young currency and still in its development stage. But as years go by and more people are able to use it, the price is going to reach a point where it will stabilize and only minor movements are to be seen.
yes i do think the same  the reasons of bitcoin volatile cause there is few of them using it and the number of people who intrested in bitcoin is not stable. So bitcoin is short kind of volatile investment and not as currency. I do think buying something with bitcoin is not even worth , i rather use fiat money cause seems like i got the thing cheaper rather than using bitcoin as a payment.
To control bitcoin volatility is seems imposible , but who knows how it will be in future.

keycellko

Activity: 406
Merit: 102

View Profile
March 01, 2018, 04:20:42 PM

Although some would look at volatility of bitcoin in a negative way, its actually positive. With volatility bitcoin becomes a valuable asset. You see, bad news relesed after a bad news that affected the value of bitcoin made the price dump even more. That's how its controlled. People exchanged a huge amount of bitcoin that affected the law of supply and demand. These are mostly the controlling factors of bitcoin. So i should say, yes. It can sometimes be controlled, but not totally.
Fantastic33

Activity: 308
Merit: 12

View Profile
March 01, 2018, 11:54:22 PM

We cannot control bitcoin's volatility. Fluctiations happen due to its changes on the supply and demand which is affected by many extenal factors such as panic selling, and that's normal. Volatility is not always bad anyway. Most of the time, traders and investors use this as their guide to become not too comfortable about bitcoin's price.
chizcake

Activity: 72

View Profile
March 02, 2018, 12:26:59 AM

Bitcoin volatility cannot be controlled nowadays. Although Many people are already using bitcoin. Still price goes to the process of fluctation. Price isnt stabilized as well. It will always go to the process of changing high and low in the market.
Pattart

Activity: 1190
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 02, 2018, 01:08:42 AM

I have read some posts and some concerns that it is the volatility of Bitcoin that is preventing many people and many businesses to fully adopt Bitcoin. This can be the main factor why big online shopping stores are not yet adding Bitcoin into their payment facilities (though there is now a circulated petition for this but I doubt if it can make a dent).

Some are really saying that if volatility can be managed then we can see Bitcoin going mainstream. I am wondering then: Is volatility something that we should find a way to control and how do you think it can be done?
For me, the volatility of the bitcoin can be controlled. Do you know what is happening to the cryptocurrency market nowadays? Most of the whales are now manipulating the cryptocurrency market.
I also ever read that bitcoin prices can be manipulated by regulating demand and supply. of course it requires a very large amount of bitcoin to manipulate bitcoin prices with marketcap that already reach tens billions of dollars. I myself think it will be more difficult to manipulate because marketcap getting bigger each time it will be more difficult and risky and what are the reasons that make you say that whales can manipulate volatility?
jhamz03

Activity: 224
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 02, 2018, 02:33:17 PM

Since bitcoin is volatile in nature I bet it cannot be controlled. Bitcoins value is changing from time to time because of investors from around the world that some will sell and some will invest at the same time, so it makes bitcoin volatile.
deppil

Activity: 1008
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 02, 2018, 02:47:53 PM

We cannot control bitcoin's volatility. Fluctiations happen due to its changes on the supply and demand which is affected by many extenal factors such as panic selling, and that's normal. Volatility is not always bad anyway. Most of the time, traders and investors use this as their guide to become not too comfortable about bitcoin's price.
if fluctuations occur due to demand and supply, certainly people who have many bitcoins can manipulate it? for example when he has millions of bitcoins in his wallet, he can certainly sell a lot of bitcoin and then demand will decrease because the supply is too big and it will make volatile price changes ? it means the fluctuations can be manipulated?
Cryptosaphire18

Activity: 112

View Profile
March 02, 2018, 03:01:00 PM

if fluctuations occur due to demand and supply, certainly people who have many bitcoins can manipulate it? for example when he has millions of bitcoins in his wallet, he can certainly sell a lot of bitcoin and then demand will decrease because the supply is too big and it will make volatile price changes ? it means the fluctuations can be manipulated?
In my personal opinion,i think we CANNOT control bitcoin Volatility.Like any currency, insufficient market demand could render such a system unstable. If enough people want to sell, the price will have to fall. It might be ideal to program the currency to maintain slight deflation, to make for a safer alternative investment to other cryptocurrencies.
Delivey
Copper Member

Activity: 12

View Profile
March 02, 2018, 03:32:30 PM

Financial institutes and banks definitely control it.
Janodevera

Activity: 64

View Profile
March 02, 2018, 03:34:24 PM

You’ve probably heard it many times if you frequently spread the good word about crypto. “Isn’t Bitcoin volatile? What if the price crashes?” By now, many POS systems offer free fiat conversion, alleviating some concern, but until the volatility of cryptocurrencies is addressed, most people will be unwilling to hold any. We need to find a way to fight the volatility that is inherent in Bitcoin. This doesn’t necessarily mean Bitcoin has to change; many people prefer to use a deflationary currency, especially those who like to save. Despite the skepticism of many altcoin critics, a currency can be better suited for some applications than others. Financial privacy, for example, is great for political activists, but more problematic when it comes to political campaign finance. We need a stable cryptocurrency designed for use in commerce; unless you’re living paycheck to paycheck, this would be held as only a fraction of your wealth, the rest reserved as other coins like bitcoins.
Crazygreek

Activity: 378
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 02, 2018, 03:47:05 PM

I think that bitcoin volatility can't be controlled because nobody have enough hashing power or money to start doing something with market nowadays.

keeee

Activity: 574
Merit: 267

" Coindragon.com 30% Cash Back "

View Profile
March 02, 2018, 03:51:38 PM

In my own opinion, I think the volatility of bitcoin cannot be controlled by someone. Its price is volatile that can be increased or decreased a huge amount. Thats one of the many reasons why bitcoin is famous to some people because of its price volatility.

MarkThief

Activity: 193

View Profile
March 03, 2018, 05:54:48 PM

Dont have faith on btcs. Even if the volatility decreases it would still be prone to mass hacker invasions
JoshMart

Merit: 2

The Experience Layer of the Decentralized Internet

View Profile
March 03, 2018, 07:51:15 PM

I don't think it that Bitcoin's volatility can be controlled, controlling is a strong word, I may say that we can at least manage it by not being affected by FUD and do panic selling whenever we see dips. that way we can somehow help manage the dip, I think.

╔═◼ CARDSTACK ◼═╗
The Experience Layer of the Decentralized Internet (https://cardstack.com/)
atetess

Activity: 305

View Profile
March 03, 2018, 09:14:55 PM

I think volatility of bitcoin is uncontrollable.  Bitcoin market price is too expensive to control by somebody.  The flow of the btc price is depend on the flow of demand and supply.  When demand will increase bitcoin price will surely gets higher.

EtherATM

Merit: 11

View Profile
March 04, 2018, 12:33:11 PM

Although it might be one of the reasons why business is not adopting bitcoin, I think the volatility is one of the reasons that many traders use bitcoin.  I think if bitcoin was tamed it would lose its appeal to some.
As far as we know that bitcoin is decentralized, and this feature is the characteristic of bitcoin or cryptocurrencies, therefore it can not be controlled. Yep, I also think that volatility is the major reason which makes many people take part in cryptocurrencies. I think that this feature is really helpful, it help me not to worry too much about it because it fluctuates currently, therefore if the value get down, it will recover again.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 »
  Print  

Jump to: