Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 09:43:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin in Economics class?  (Read 7779 times)
aoihs00

Activity: 700
Merit: 300

View Profile
July 07, 2017, 02:15:04 AM

Barely think so that it is happening into my country. They are already very behind in the economics of my country and I'm not even sure teachers are even thinking about it to get that topic on board. The universities are little backward in the subject which are very much well..virtual I would say. I know bitcoin is trendy, you know bitcoin is trendy but they don't think that it is trendy for the economics class. Hopefully someday they will think of it when bitcoin will take physical appearance in the market.

cpfreeplz
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1042

View Profile
July 07, 2017, 02:29:48 AM

Funny, I took a course in econometrics in 2009 just as bitcoin was coming onto the scene.   It was actually the last college course I took.  Definitely no mention of bitcoin then, but I'm sure somewhere in the thousands of courses being taught that btc is being mentioned.   It's too big not to be at this point.  I hear kids are even using laptops in class nowadays.   Lol

Lol they weren't back in your times too, just not quite as often. Most teachers didn't appreciate them because they were a distraction. My profs made people with laptops sit in the very back.

I could see them talking about it now. How could you not? I remember having a lesson on fiat currencies. It was interesting so bitcoin lessons would be much more interesting.
digaran
Copper Member

Activity: 1330
Merit: 899

🖤😏

View Profile
July 07, 2017, 03:58:02 AM

Last time I was in a class room was more than 10 years ago, so back then Bitcoin didn't exist yet, now there might be some individually talking about it but I haven't heard any official teaching about it, at least not in my country. Bitcoin was just invented a few years ago and is still in experimental phase, I don't know how some body could be talking about it on educational scale? because there is a lot more to learn about it before it's safe to be officially introduced to the public. however I doubt many countries do that.

🖤😏
NathanJB

Activity: 756
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 07, 2017, 05:19:44 AM

Do you think they are talking about bitcoin in your basic ECON class?

Not really on the basic ECON class. That might sound too much. But an extensive study of economics should really include the crypto world as there is a very huge market in here and it can actually shake the economy. And perhaps the principles, ideas, theories, and systems underpinning such existence and the very quick growth of bitcoin and other cryptos. I am sure hardline economic professors have something to say about it.

Interesting!
error08

Activity: 1036
Merit: 514

View Profile
July 07, 2017, 05:58:29 AM

Funny, I took a course in econometrics in 2009 just as bitcoin was coming onto the scene.   It was actually the last college course I took.  Definitely no mention of bitcoin then, but I'm sure somewhere in the thousands of courses being taught that btc is being mentioned.   It's too big not to be at this point.  I hear kids are even using laptops in class nowadays.   Lol

I'm sure there are some economics class mentioned about bitcoin as I've ever talked with my friends who in economics class and who works in bank, actually they know about bitcoin even though they didn't know about this forum and didn't know the basic things about it such as blockchain and wallet, but they know its prices and interested to trade it.
However, I found out that people in this forum who mastered/acquire complete knowledge and experts in bitcoin, all of them assemble in this forum, and none of those classes could compared to people in here.
Vixmore

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 07, 2017, 06:10:33 AM

Well, that is still a long way off. In highschool, it definately wont be introduced into the syllabus, although that should be a thing that our governments look into.

I guess the main reason for this is that governments do not like the idea of a decentralised currency and are a bit reluctant on looking into it and exploring it. Also, bitcoin has not yet made a drastic impact to the world to the point where it should be included in an economics course that students will be tested on. The future of bitcoin is still developing, so its hard to say exactly what should be studied about it. Maybe in 5 years time it would make sense to include it somewhere in the syllabus.

Sure, you can talk about it in class as  I have some teachers that I talk to about bitcoin, but I honestly don't see the point yet in including it in the syllabus. We have to wait a bit more before we do so.
Dontme

Activity: 798
Merit: 255

View Profile
July 07, 2017, 06:36:50 AM

I don not think people or a class would talk about bitcoin in the classroom because bitcoin is not yet introduced to many people and not yet exposed too much. Also bitcoin is only one of a way of earning money or profit. And i have never encounter an instructor or student open a topic about bitcoin or any cryptocurrencies.
jc89

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 07, 2017, 06:58:10 AM

As of today, I do not know if they are paying much attention to Bitcoin so they are not tackling about Bitcoin on the Economics class. They might had a quick discussion about it if the topic was about the monetary system or the history of money. Bitcoin could be mentioned in some discussion but since Bitcoin is not yet that popular, it will take more time before it will be discussed on such classes.

▄▄▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄▄
            ▄▄▓▓▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▓▓▓▓
          ▄▓▓░░░░░▄▄████████▄▄░░░░░░▓▓
        ▄▓▀░░░░██████████████████▄░░░▓▓▌
       ▓▓░░░▄██████████████████████▄░░░▓▓▄
      ▓░░░░█████████████████████████░░░░▓▄
     ▓▓░░░████████████████████████████▌░░░▓
    ▐▓░░░▓████████████░░░░░████████████░░░▓▓
    ▓▓░░░█████████████▓████▓███████████▌░░▐▓
    ▓▓░░░█████████████▓████████████████▌░░▐▓
    ▐▓░░░▓████████████▓░██░████████████░░░▓█
     ▓▓░░░████████████▓░██████████████▌░░░▓▌
      ▓▓░░░███████████▓██████████████▀░░░█▌
       ▓▓░░░░█████████▓▄███████████░░░░█▀
        ▓▓░░░░░██████████████████▀░░░░▓█
          ▓▓░░░░░░▀██████████▀▀░░░░░▓█▀
            ▀▓▓░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▓█▀
                ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓██▀▀▀
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███ BRIDGING MARKETS ███
AN ALL INCLUSIVE ECOSYSTEM
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██  Social Media  ██
██▄███████████████████▄
██████████████████████▌
██████████████████████▌
████████████     █▀███▌
███   █████        ▐██▌
███               ▐███▌
███               ████▌
████             █████▌
█████▄▄         ██████▌
████         ▄████████▌
██████████████████████▌
██████████████████████▌
▄▓█████████████████████▓▓▄
▓██████████████████████████▌
███████████████████▓▓▀  ▓██▌
██████████████▓▀▀       ▓██▌
████████▓▀▀      ▄█    ▐███▌
███▓▀        ▄▄▓▀      ▓███▌
███▓▄▄▄   ▄▓█▓         ████▌
████████▓ ▓▌          ▓████▌
█████████▓    ▄       █████▌
██████████▌ ▄▓██▓▄   ▐█████▌
███████████████████▓▓██████▌
▐██████████████████████████
  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
██
mamaya

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 07, 2017, 06:59:43 AM

I recently graduated in Economics and bitcoin was mentioned in passing but its hardly discussed.

Most of the features that bitcoin offer are counter to what basic economics courses suggest are good for a healthy economy. Deflation in a currency is considered one of the worst things (bitcoin is still inflationary at the present date though). A central bank having control over a national currency is also considered important to stabilize the ups and downs in the economy. Volatility in bitcoin is also horrible for a currency.

These features just scratch the surface of why standard economics will see more downsides than upsides to a currency like bitcoin. According to standard economic theory if bitcoin were the currency used worldwide we would see stronger boom and bust cycles than currently.
audaciousbeing

Activity: 1330
Merit: 569

View Profile
July 07, 2017, 07:55:22 AM

Teaching of bitcoin related topics is not something I see happening over here anytime soon because its just by default for anyone who wants to teach about a topic should have adequate knowledge about it which is something so lacking in the current set of lecturers available in higher institutions of learning we have here coupled with the stereotyped nature of their teachings. But at the PhD level, there might be some discussions.
Barbut

Activity: 1694
Merit: 502

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
July 07, 2017, 08:06:26 AM

Teaching of bitcoin related topics is not something I see happening over here anytime soon because its just by default for anyone who wants to teach about a topic should have adequate knowledge about it which is something so lacking in the current set of lecturers available in higher institutions of learning we have here coupled with the stereotyped nature of their teachings. But at the PhD level, there might be some discussions.

Situation is the same all over the world, maybe some advance classes teach about bitcoin, or at college they have some discussions, but generally bitcoin is not in schools yet. But it will be sooner or later, bitcoin made pretty big progress, economy in this world didn't see nothing similar before, and bitcoin deserved to be leaned in schools.
I think some countries will start with this practice much sooner then others, like we have now legalization in Japan and Australia maybe we can except from this two countries to implement bitcoin in early grades.

.BIG WINNER!.
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████

▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████

██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░

██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄

██░████████░███████░█
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████

▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
Sled

Activity: 1680
Merit: 535

Bitcoin- in bullish time

View Profile
July 07, 2017, 09:35:35 AM

It is not that hard to have a discussion about bitcoin because they just need to learn some basic things about bitcoin and it doesn't need a high level of being a teacher or professor, they can engage the lesson in a healthy discussion like the teacher will start the topic and the other people who have idea will also share his knowledge and the discussion will continue.
BitcoinzB

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

💰💰💰💰

View Profile
July 07, 2017, 11:40:25 AM

We already have some classes related to bitcoin in the economics master degree. With the currency becoming regulated and more people gaining interest into it, I can only see more classes like this one being introduced in a near future.
radjie

Activity: 1792
Merit: 264

View Profile
July 07, 2017, 02:44:44 PM

Actually in economics lessons discuss much about how to form accounting bookkeeping, As well as bitcoin is a technological development that can take account of cryptography based on the basic knowledge of accounting. But so far economic lessons have not been discussed about bitcoin because its popularity can not be known to everyone and only certain people who know it.
Hypnosis00

Activity: 2366
Merit: 342

View Profile
July 07, 2017, 02:48:15 PM

Bitcoin in economic class is a good subject because it is the time where the students will study about the latest type of technology that can help our country and also to know the possible opportunities that can help their selves like bitcoin which is one of the most well known cryptocurrency in the internet and also the most popular one.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
btc_angela

Activity: 2618
Merit: 544

View Profile
July 07, 2017, 03:18:04 PM

If the professor is bitcoin enthusiast, then I think he can inject some discussion it in his class or even require some of his students to go and research it. But for most of professor who are not into bitcoin, I doubt bitcoin will be touch as subject matter. Bitcoin is still in its infancy and only a small percentage of the population knew it. Maybe in the next decade or so we may need more class discussion specially in economy.

███████████████████████
████████████████████
██████████████████
████████████████████
███▀▀▀█████████████████
███▄▄▄█████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████
████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████▀▀██▀██▀▀█████████
█████████████▄█████████████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████▄█▄█████████
████████▀▀███████████
██████████████████
▀███████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
█████████████████████████
O F F I C I A L   P A R T N E R S
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
ASTON VILLA FC
BURNLEY FC
BK8?.
..PLAY NOW..
el kaka22
Legendary

Activity: 3528
Merit: 1162

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
July 07, 2017, 04:13:04 PM

If the professor is bitcoin enthusiast, then I think he can inject some discussion it in his class or even require some of his students to go and research it. But for most of professor who are not into bitcoin, I doubt bitcoin will be touch as subject matter. Bitcoin is still in its infancy and only a small percentage of the population knew it. Maybe in the next decade or so we may need more class discussion specially in economy.
No we can see many university professors are working on altcoin projects as consults and advisors on different aspects of cryptocurrency systems. Bitcoin enthusiasts are everywhere hence must be there in academic levels too. That is the reason already some universities in Europe and North America are having blockchain technology as an elective paper. Yes, bitcoin and blockchain technology already became subjects for students.

But to evaluate the effectiveness of these must need some time but we can be sure it will help many students get into blockchain technology and those people will take bitcoins and entire cryptocurrencies into new levels for sure.

███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
Oceat

Activity: 2506
Merit: 368

View Profile
July 07, 2017, 04:15:29 PM

We already have some classes related to bitcoin in the economics master degree. With the currency becoming regulated and more people gaining interest into it, I can only see more classes like this one being introduced in a near future.
I'm not surprised if someday they will teach bitcoins in their economics class because as the technology getting more highly advantage. I hope they will make a book for the school about bitcoin and introduce it to the teenage students. I think this is the stop to make the bitcoin as well-known to most of the people while they were learning they can still make a profit from it.

megynacuna

Activity: 756
Merit: 253

View Profile
July 07, 2017, 05:30:10 PM

It is likely Bitcoin is being mentioned on a daily basis in economic classes all over the world because just as the stock exchanges and their commodities are taught as well as financial investment of other commodities and Forex then it makes sense to suggest that bitcoins will also be taught or mentioned in such classes because it is significant in our finances globally.
maku
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 07, 2017, 05:31:43 PM

I recently graduated in Economics and bitcoin was mentioned in passing but its hardly discussed.

Most of the features that bitcoin offer are counter to what basic economics courses suggest are good for a healthy economy. Deflation in a currency is considered one of the worst things (bitcoin is still inflationary at the present date though). A central bank having control over a national currency is also considered important to stabilize the ups and downs in the economy. Volatility in bitcoin is also horrible for a currency.

These features just scratch the surface of why standard economics will see more downsides than upsides to a currency like bitcoin. According to standard economic theory if bitcoin were the currency used worldwide we would see stronger boom and bust cycles than currently.
So your teachers basically said that bitcoin is a bad example of a currency because it is volatile and eventually will become deflationary currency which like ultimate flaw for a currency to have.
That is not exactly the best introduction to a whole new alternative economy, don't you think? And yet you are here on bitcointalk thinking that bitcoin will have bright future.
I would like to see what those old school teachers will say in the 10 or 20 years from now when bitcoin will be so strong and popular to rival standard fiat currencies.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 »
  Print  

Jump to: