Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 02:17:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm Kevin, here's my side.  (Read 258502 times)
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 03:27:54 AM

Kevin's story is backed up by MtGox's own feed; and that showed that he could not have made the order before the crash. In fact, 6 people got in before him when the large order finally finished executing - which took 35ish minutes.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
neneko

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 03:39:19 AM

Kevin's story is backed up by MtGox's own feed; and that showed that he could not have made the order before the crash. In fact, 6 people got in before him when the large order finally finished executing - which took 35ish minutes.
This.

Which of course begs the question of why magicaltux would try to pin this whole thing on someone he knows most likely had nothing to do with the hack. The obvious answer here is that he needed a scapegoat and he needed one fast. The sooner people start blaming Kevin the less heat magicaltux and thus mt gox will have to take. He must know that legally he can't put over any responsibility for this on kevin so I assume he's doing this because he hopes that he can get mt gox back to its former glory after this is over with. I for one am not going to make a single trade there.

The current evidence stacked up again Kevin is that he was logged in when the crash happened and that he's apparently good with computer security. While this is apparently enough to convince some of the lesser minds on these boards I somehow doubt it's something that would hold up in court.
Batouzo

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 03:43:18 AM

So let me get this right. An account was hacked, some guy put in a bunch of orders at basically a penny and was able to make out with 600 plus bitcoins valued at well over $7000 and he's bitching about it because he didn't illegally become a millionaire at the expense of someone else that perpetrated a crime? Wow...............take your free $7000 and run, I mean seriously?

This is how it usually works with BTC, buying low and selling high.

It was lower then usual for some traders indeed, but it's not his fault so crazy low offers where placed.
melanarchy

Activity: 22

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 03:46:13 AM

If a guy steals a truck full of goods, and decides to dump them for cheap, whoever buys those shoes is still committing a crime. I say fuck Kevin and take the coins off him (he seems pretty seedy anyway).
This.

To say "I got extraordinarily lucky and was able to use my wits to help someone perpetrate a crime at the right moment but 'dems da rules' so I should get to keep my ill gotten gains and the system I exploited to get them should be destroyed in the process." is not only incredibly selfish but an untenable position for someone who claims to want to *help* the bitcoin community.

Assuming the sale came from a compromised account, which at this point seems very likely,  "Kevin" either knowingly profited from theft or he was too ignorant to realize the figures he was seeing could only be a bug in the system or the result of something uncouth.

Honestly if someone was claiming they put in a sell order at $100 "just in case" and a bug caused it to go through mt. gox at $0.01 and it caused this event would anybody argue *not* to roll back translations? I can't imagine the "it's important that if our exchanges are bugged we allow the market to collapse" argument holding water.
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2011, 03:47:15 AM

Kevin, regardless of whether you were the original hacker (I don't think you were), a large part of the consensus here is that you did pretty much admit to possessing stolen property. Considering your real name and info is out now (thanks to you yourself), it would probably be in your best interest to wait until things calm down a bit, get in touch with MtGox people, and then PUBLICLY return the funds. Otherwise you'll likely get blacklisted and trolled for years to come. Not saying MtGox people are right, either, but at present only two entities are getting attacked. If I were you, I'd do everything I can to not be one of those any more.
Unless, of course, $12,000 is worth it to have your name remembered and dragged through the mud for the next few years.
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2011, 03:47:32 AM

OK, Not the hacker.

Still a dick for wanting to keep the BTC.

Kevin. Listen to me: The rollback is happening for one simple reason: It is the easiest way to make as many people as whole as possible. You will get your money back, and may end up ahead by over 600 bitcoins. I am sorry you're not a millionaire. You acted in good faith, as most of us would, to snap up as many of the coins as possible. As it turns out, those coins didn't belong to the person selling them. This means that they go back to the people or person to whom they do belong. It is very likely that MtGox is going to go under from this. I see no reason to ride down with them.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Gameover

Activity: 92

NEURAL.CLUB - FIRST SOCIAL ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2011, 03:47:52 AM

With the amount of money involved here I cannot understand how this cannot go to court.  Kevin if what you say is true call up the most expensive law firm in NY and get the ball rolling, maybe the law is on the side of the rollback, maybe not.  With 5M at stake you bet your ass I would be finding out.  With the nature of bitcoin and international laws and something so unprecedented it needs further examination.

NEURAL.CLUB - FIRST SOCIAL ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE
toasty (OP)

Activity: 90
Merit: 12

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 03:48:52 AM

Kevin, regardless of whether you were the original hacker (I don't think you were), a large part of the consensus here is that you did pretty much admit to possessing stolen property. Considering your real name and info is out now (thanks to you yourself), it would probably be in your best interest to wait until things calm down a bit, get in touch with MtGox people, and then PUBLICLY return the funds. Otherwise you'll likely get blacklisted and trolled for years to come. Not saying MtGox people are right, either, but at present only two entities are getting attacked. If I were you, I'd do everything I can to not be one of those any more.
Unless, of course, $12,000 is worth it to have your name remembered and dragged through the mud for the next few years.

I am attempting to arrange that the bitcoins that I am in possession of right now, due to this trade, be held by a neutral third party until everyone can cool down about this.
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2011, 03:51:08 AM

[DELETED cause I was starting to be douchy too]
rograz

Activity: 575
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 03:53:37 AM

No, not remotely. As far as the purchaser is concerned, the goods were legitimate. The only criminal is the seller of said shoes due to his fraud and theft.

Not in my country, here the purchaser has to make sure the gods aren't stolen or they would be breaking the law if they end up holding stolen gods/property.
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2011, 03:54:17 AM

I am attempting to arrange that the bitcoins that I am in possession of right now, due to this trade, be held by a neutral third party until everyone can cool down about this.

AWESOME! You should mention this in your Post #1 in BIG BOLD LETTERS!
MyFarm

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 03:55:16 AM

What about THESE possibilities since I still don't believe someone with 500k coins had them in a single, stolen account on Mt Gox.

1.  The person who had 500k bitcoin had those in a personal wallet on his own machine at home.  That machine was compromised.  All the BTC were sent to Mt Gox for sale by the hacker and was a REAL TRADE but of stolen goods.  Do we roll back every trade of someone's coins who had their PERSONAL computer hacked?  Because there are a shitload out there.  Or only the rich people? 

2.  The 500k bitcoin was from the person who released the virus that steals the bitcoin wallet of hundreds of traders such as Allinvain (the guy who got $500k of BTC stolen).  Those 500k bitcoin are from hundreds of people the hacker stole from.  He dumps them on Mt Gox when he smells the authorities starting to track him down and decides to crash the market and run.  A LEGIT trade again, just of stolen goods of hundreds of people.

If THOSE were legit trades but of stolen coins, should the market be rolled back?  If so, it sets a precedent that ALL SUCH FUTURE stolen trades cause a rollback no matter the size.
MyFarm

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 03:56:31 AM

Especially since it looks as if MtGox admitted that the compromised account was their main distributed one, meaning Kevin isn't holding stolen property from some single poor sap, but from everyone.
Where did you read this?
Terpie

Activity: 174
Merit: 101

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 03:58:30 AM

I can't believe anyone could honestly think they would be entitled to property that the seller could not legally transfer. If I dock my boat at my marina slip, go on vacation for a month, and during that time some jerkoff finds a spare key, puts up a craigslist ad, shows my boat to someone, and "sells" it, does that mean I lose my boat? Get real man.
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2011, 03:59:21 AM

What about THESE possibilities since I still don't believe someone with 500k coins had them in a single, stolen account on Mt Gox.
*deleted*

I missed part of the live broadcast, but I think MtGox said that the 500k coins was actually form the MtGox account. All the user's coins are actually stored in a single large wallet, and the BTC you see in your account is just an accounting entry. They're no actually yours until you withdraw your amount from the main wallet. So the theft wasn't from some poor schmuck with a bad password, it was from everyone at the same time.
Batouzo

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 03:59:55 AM

You seem to like money regulated by some community, lets call it a government since it's governing.
Why at all use bitcoin then.
markietalkie

Activity: 16

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 04:00:42 AM

Executive summary:

1.) "I took advantage of an extraordinary event that turned out to be initiated by a rogue sell order, not legitimate trading."

2.) "Can I keep it? Look, here's why."

No, sorry. To allow the trade to stand would legitimize the attack, is that what you really want? (Besides bitcoins and dollars, I mean.)

+ 1,000

People are being too emotional. He was just lucky, he's done nothing wrong. If you want someone to blame, blame MtGox security and immature rule of the market. He's earned his pie fair and square.
Terpie

Activity: 174
Merit: 101

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 04:01:53 AM

You seem to like money regulated by some community, lets call it a government since it's governing.
Why at all use bitcoin then.

Because a government that regulates ALL activity is fundamentally different than an exchange that only regulates the people that choose to engage with it. This is simple buddy.
bitbot

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 04:02:24 AM

maybe Kevin should run the security for mt.gox

Anonymous BITCOIN Exchange: https://www.TRADEHILL.COM
newMeat1

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 04:05:01 AM

Congrats Kevin, you pulled a fast one. I'll only hold it a little bit against you

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: